Backing Harry Maguire in this tough time would be a true test of Ole

Negative Red

It doesn't make you a better fan if you back Maguire as some are suggesting, that's ridiculous.

Media speculation suggests that Oles job is on the line and yet he will play Maguire every game. I'm not sure what other choice he has to be honest. Newcastle is a massive game and I hope the team are more confident than I am.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
What's a tough time?

Corona is tough times
World war 2 is tough times
Great depression is tough times
Battling cancer is tough times
Losing a loved one is tough times

Losing a football game is not. It happened to every one of them, you pick you and focus on your next match. Stop making excuses for maguire. If he thinks the teams tactics isnt suited to his play then raise some concern. If he thinks he wont function well in a high press then it's his job as a player and as a captain to raise that to the manager. If he thinks his mind is not ready then drop himself, took a day or two and refocus. Stop stinking the place out. Harry can actually drop himself if he wants.

Greece happened. He wasnt indicted. He got a wall full of lawyer and united behind him, it's not like he's going to jail. Stop using that as an excuse. People got drunk and arrested daily, doesnt excuse them to be shit at their job.

What's next? He got a year free and judgment starts next season?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What's a tough time?

Corona is tough times
World war 2 is tough times
Great depression is tough times
Battling cancer is tough times
Losing a loved one is tough times

Losing a football game is not. It happened to every one of them, you pick you and focus on your next match. Stop making excuses for maguire. If he thinks the teams tactics isnt suited to his play then raise some concern. If he thinks he wont function well in a high press then it's his job as a player and as a captain to raise that to the manager. If he thinks his mind is not ready then drop himself, took a day or two and refocus. Stop stinking the place out. Harry can actually drop himself if he wants.

Greece happened. He wasnt indicted. He got a wall full of lawyer and united behind him, it's not like he's going to jail. Stop using that as an excuse. People got drunk and arrested daily, doesnt excuse them to be shit at their job.

What's next? He got a year free and judgment starts next season?
Whilst I generally agree he should have some accountability, a few things.

1) Everyone is affected by things in their life differently, we don't know the full details of what happened in Greece and getting nicked and being a cell can do different things to people.
2) I think he's been very poor for the 3 games he's been back, but he was much better against Belgium. If it's just an iffy month for him and he kicks on from here, I think it's somewhat excusable. He's a person after all, not just a commodity.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Backing doesn't necessarily mean pampering him. Tell him he's been shite and he needs to grow up, he's the captain and the days in Greece were nothing but the past, move on and fix your shitty performances because the club needs you.

Kostov

This backing or not would have had much more weight if we actually had some equal or better options at CB, in our case we don't so we have no choice. Let's hope he gets his shit together or we are fecked.

passing-wind

Maguire and Lindlelof performance wise is always suspect yet somehow last season our defensive stats were decent. I'd feel more comfortable having Smalling in the defence, I think Ole' made a mistake in managing him out the squad. Tuanzebe is still relatively unproven and seems injury ridden. Bailey is on his way to becoming a lost cause. Can't see why Ole was so focused heavily on attack we could have got Upamecano with a decent clause before he renewed his contract.

To be totally honest unless our defensive form picks up it will cost Ole his employment that I have no doubt about.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Whilst I generally agree he should have some accountability, a few things.

1) Everyone is affected by things in their life differently, we don't know the full details of what happened in Greece and getting nicked and being a cell can do different things to people.
2) I think he's been very poor for the 3 games he's been back, but he was much better against Belgium. If it's just an iffy month for him and he kicks on from here, I think it's somewhat excusable. He's a person after all, not just a commodity.
tough luck man, we all faced incredibly tough shits on daily basis, not enough money to pay your mortgage namely is the biggest issue, many people struggle with greater stuffs than him on daily basis. At times of corona mamy people lost their jobs and have to face debt collectors and banks phoneing you 24/7, not to mention labor worker that has to work extra hard with mask on their mouth for hours while getting a paycut.

He's a person, that's why we don't crucify him if he made mistakes, we give him time to bounce back, but at some point you gotta raise the fuzz and yell "stop being a crybaby ffs", you're a man with a 200k / week salary paid to play football.... it really isn't hard. Don't come crying how hard it is. In the grand scheme of things, it's not hard. At worst you'll get benched and still collect 200k / week. Any other jobs you'd be fired on the spot

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
tough luck man, we all faced incredibly tough shits on daily basis, not enough money to pay your mortgage namely is the biggest issue, many people struggle with greater stuffs than him on daily basis. At times of corona mamy people lost their jobs and have to face debt collectors and banks phoneing you 24/7, not to mention labor worker that has to work extra hard with mask on their mouth for hours while getting a paycut.

He's a person, that's why we don't crucify him if he made mistakes, we give him time to bounce back, but at some point you gotta raise the fuzz and yell "stop being a crybaby ffs", you're a man with a 200k / week salary paid to play football.... it really isn't hard. Don't come crying how hard it is. In the grand scheme of things, it's not hard. At worst you'll get benched and still collect 200k / week. Any other jobs you'd be fired on the spot
I agree that some people have it tougher, but there's also a good chance people facing adversity don't always perform to their best in their job either. They just don't have millions of people watching them doing their job to comment on their performance. It's not really comparable.

Just because he gets paid millions, doesn't mean he's not allowed to have anxieties or get into a funk. Also having 3 bad days (could argue for two, but lets say the full 3) at work would not amount to you getting binned on the spot. I don't think anyone is saying it's acceptable the way he's performing since the season started, but I feel like people are painting it as Maguire has been shit for ages, which I disagree with.

RUCK4444

He will start the next game, bet your house on it.

Only option really. Is partnering Bailly and Lindelof any better?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Partnering Bailly and Lindelof will just be meh.

I'd play Maguire but I'd actually use Newcaste as a test run for 352.

Shaw can cover Maguire's pace as a 3rd center back, Lindelof I think will operate fine too. AWB was arguably the best RB in the league after Trent when he played for palace in a similar system and Telles is used to this too. I think our midfielders may need to adapt to transition the ball into attack, but from a perspective of foundations it can make us more resolute.

when it comes to elite sportsman, you only have to be off your game by a small % for it to have a big effect.

pressure/ issues/ anxiety are all specific to a person.

I might be able to cope perfectly fine with your issues, and yours mine. Doesn’t mean they are not significant because to others they are easy to overcome. We all react in different ways.

it’s not as easy as saying he should just get over it because he has money.

if that was the case, then why would any rich and famous person take their own life?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Maguire and Lindlelof performance wise is always suspect yet somehow last season our defensive stats were decent. I'd feel more comfortable having Smalling in the defence, I think Ole' made a mistake in managing him out the squad. Tuanzebe is still relatively unproven and seems injury ridden. Bailey is on his way to becoming a lost cause. Can't see why Ole was so focused heavily on attack we could have got Upamecano with a decent clause before he renewed his contract.

To be totally honest unless our defensive form picks up it will cost Ole his employment that I have no doubt about.
Because fans watched the games and formed opinion, instead of just using stats. That partnership is fundamentally flawed. ANy fans with a bit football knwoledge can see this. United may get away with it (or luck out) sometimes, but mostly on big games (like Cup semi-finals), this fundamentally flawed partnership is exposed.

He sold the only CB that potentially make the partnership with Maguire works. Every fecking man and his dog can see this. And if the manager keep this fundamentally flawed partnership for another season, it just tells you something.

Rolaholic

He's had an absolute shocker just now against Denmark and was sent off after half an hour...

Truly don't think his mind is right at the moment and I believe giving him some time away from the incessant pressure and microscope of the media for a few games would do him some good which in turn would help us get the most out of him

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's had an absolute shicker just now against Denmark and was sent off after half an hour...

Truly don't think his mind is right at the moment and I believe giving him some time away from the incessant pressure and microscope of the media for a few games would do him some good which in turn would help us get the most out of him
Thank god we’ve got 11 top class defenders ready to step in.

Cloud7

Can it be worse than it is at this point, is the question to be asked. Maguire needs some time off to get his head in order. Continuing right now isn't doing the team any good, and on a personal level he might end up spiraling to a point that he never recovers from.

Rolaholic

Thank god we’ve got 11 top class defenders ready to step in.
Sure then let's continue sacrificing his mental health and in turn our results more by opting to play him non-stop when he's clearly going through a rough period on and off the pitch. That'll work out swimmingly for all involved I'm sure...

James Peril

He's had an absolute shicker just now against Denmark and was sent off after half an hour...

You really think the media in England, of all countries, would lay off a player for taking a leaving of absence due to the media pressure? That’s daft. They’d send 40 photographers and drones to his house to create a scene and fake headlines. Come on.

Russky14

Just flipped over to BBC & here is a few comments

Phil McNulty - "This was 31 minutes of unrelenting misery for Harry Maguire. He put himself under pressure with a reckless early challenge and his performance afterwards was simply awful, leading to that lack of control for the second yellow.

Maguire's confidence looks shot and he is a liability at present for club and country."

A tweet from a fan " Please explain why Maguire is in the squad. Not as good as Coady, Keane, Mings, Mee, Dunk, Tarkowski, Gomez and Dier. Just because someone is stupid enough to pay £80m doesn't make him good."

Over to our svengali Ole then. Both Slabhead & Carlton Palmer need a spell away from the 1st team starting with the NUFC match. lets see if he has the gonads?

RUCK4444

Can it be worse than it is at this point, is the question to be asked. Maguire needs some time off to get his head in order. Continuing right now isn't doing the team any good, and on a personal level he might end up spiraling to a point that he never recovers from.
Yeah I think it’s got to the point where he needs taking out of the spotlight, your probably right, with this hanging over him now as well.

Just another issue to deal with in what has been a feckin horror show start to the season.

Walters_19_MuFc

Just going through a crappy time at the moment. He really has been shocking so far this season. Hopefully, he can get back to the level he was playing at last season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sure then let's continue sacrificing his mental health and in turn our results more by opting to play him non-stop when he's clearly going through a rough period on and off the pitch. That'll work out swimmingly for all involved I'm sure...
I’m all for it, I’ve become quite nihilistic in my support for United over the last 7 years anyway.

hobbers

It's an easy peasy man management test for Ole this. You have to take him out against Newcastle. Common fecking sense.

You stick by him in the long term, obviously, but right now, when we're playing utter shite and his confidence is through the floor, you need to take him out for a game. Give him a week to sort his head out.

If he plays against Newcastle and fecks us over again that's him useless for all the big games to follow.

Gavinb33

This old fashioned and quite frankly myopic view is why male suicide is through the roof.

Man up and stop being a crybaby is view that tells men especially not to seek help and that they are weak for doing so, and whilst you can point to millionaire footballers and their life is "easy" what you are doing is essentially saying things that trouble them are somehow less than others because they are rich which is a fallacy as well.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
To answer the OP, why should we back him? What has he ever delivered to deserve our support? He’s so fecking over promoted.

hobbers

What happened to him in Mykonos really is no excuse for this shocking turn of form by the way. There's no explaining it away on some minor fracas and getting into a war of words with a no-mark local court in a country he probably isn't even planning on going back to for a long while anyway.

It's not a valid excuse for how shocking he's played at all.

wolvored

Its not just Utd hes had a mare tonight for England. Waste of £80mil

PoTMS

Dumb feck of a player. Only we would pay what we paid. How anyone thought he was worth £80m is beyond me. In truth, it was just dick swinging from United after seeing the success of Van Dijk.

TrueRed79

Just as well be bought that CB that we were in dire need of over the summer. Oh yeah...

20solskjaer

Car crash of a post

Smores

This old fashioned and quite frankly myopic view is why male suicide is through the roof.

Man up and stop being a crybaby is view that tells men especially not to seek help and that they are weak for doing so, and whilst you can point to millionaire footballers and their life is "easy" what you are doing is essentially saying things that trouble them are somehow less than others because they are rich which is a fallacy as well.
Christ a few games in bad form and we have fans coming out with this.

People need to stop it with the armchair psychology.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If we definitely have Axel back I would consider giving him a few weeks off* or something... Let him clear his head.

*Not in Greece.

Stadjer

Not really any better (maybe it would if Bailly could stay fit) but it also wouldnt be much worse..

They are all a bit meh at best.

Jericholyte2

I think the best way to back Maguire is to take him out of the firing line for at least a few weeks.

I know what this means for United but for the greater good we need to let him figure out where he is or he’ll only end up slipping further down the slope and will also cost us even more.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
What happened to him in Mykonos really is no excuse for this shocking turn of form by the way. There's no explaining it away on some minor fracas and getting into a war of words with a no-mark local court in a country he probably isn't even planning on going back to for a long while anyway.

It's not a valid excuse for how shocking he's played at all.
How do you know this? Have you ever had a troubling legal issue hanging over your head?

It's easy for us to trivialize it sitting safely in front of our keyboards but it's possible that it has shaken him up a bit and affected his ability to fully immerse himself in training and playing.

A break for him wouldn't be amiss right now.

Untd55

There is a consequence for earning so much money; you work in a ruthless business.

The fact of the matter is that he can buy a new house (a decent-size one as well) every two weeks for his footballing career. There are reasons why you are being paid so much, and the reason is that you are supposed to be among the best at what you do.

There is no right to be supported as a football player; there is nothing wrong with pointing out a player is not good enough. It doesn't make you a better Manutd supporter because you bury your head in sand; that is your choice.

He hasn't been anywhere near good enough, no matter if people say he was outstanding last season because he wasn't. The truth of the matter is that he had three decent months between January and March. Outside of that, he was a mainstay in a defence that conceded in every game from mid-September to the end of December, and he was poor after lockdown.

It is not a kneejerk reaction, either.