Bad Sales

Dr Fink

Where I work a lad sends round football questions occasionally for us to have a go at in our spare time. An interesting one came up United focused a few weeks back and the answers tell a story.

No Googling, but have a go.

Name the six players (yes only six) that Manchester United have sold for over £20 million. One of them I was amazed we got over that amount for him to be fair.

The fact it is only six tells you how badly managed we have been financially, nvermind the footballing side of things.

Last edited:

EasyE

Schneiderlin, Di Maria, Beckham, Ronaldo, Lukaku... Annnd I'm stuck.

JoaquinJoaquin

Di Maria, Ronaldo and Lukaku spring to mind, possibly Memphis? But yeah that is a tough one.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Ronaldo
Di Maria
Lukaku
Schneiderlin
Beckham
Depay(?)

Can’t think of any more

NinjaFletch

Lukaku
Di Maria
Ronaldo
Memphis (I think, with add-ons)
Schniederlin
Beckham

arthurka

Where I work a lad sends round football questions occasionally for us to have a go at in our breaks. An interesting one came up United focused a few weeks back and the answers tell a story.

Name the six players (yes only six) that Manchester United have sold for over £20 million. One of them I was amazed we got over that amount for him to be fair.

The fact it is only six tells you how badly managed we have been financially, nvermind the footballing side of things.
Beckham
Di Maria
Ronaldo
Schneiderlin
Depay
Lukaku

romufc

It is clear that the financial side has been failing for a number of years and it has been discussed in other threads such as the Woodward one and Ole one.

Compare it to Liverpool or Man City we are actually being bullied when it comes to selling and buying, and this is mainly down to the high wages we offer average players.

Liverpool have sold likes of Benteke, Sakho, Ings for good money

CIty sold Ineacheo for £25m odd?

Whereas we seem to be willing to pay teams to sign our players.

DVG7

I can only get 5 and have no idea who the sixth would be?

Ronaldo, Lukaku, Di Maria, Beckham, Schneiderlin

Gopher Brown

Where I work a lad sends round football questions occasionally for us to have a go at in our breaks. An interesting one came up United focused a few weeks back and the answers tell a story.

Does it though?

Yes we tend to keep players longer than we should sometimes, but couldn’t you say that we don’t sell anyone for massive amounts is because very few clubs are ‘bigger’ than us and can pressure us into selling?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Well to be fair, those sort of figures only became prominent since LVG and at that point we made extremely poor signings. Some of our youth would get that now.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Jaap Stam is the sixth. Memphis went for cheaper than £20m I believe.

Ronaldo, Beckham, Lukaku, Di Maria, Stam and Schneiderlin.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Jaap Stam is the sixth. Memphis went for cheaper than £20m I believe.

Ronaldo, Beckham, Lukaku, Di Maria, Stam and Schneiderlin.
Stam wasn't sold for more than £20m

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
There have only been 5. Lukaku, Schneidelin, DiMaria, Ronaldo and Beckham. Some say Depay, but unless there were bonus', he was under 20m. Mind you, I wouldn't call this "bad selling". It's more of a case that we don't sell players unless we want to (for the most part). We are a buying club, not a selling club...

GuyfromAustria

Mkhitaryan doesn't count I guess?
I was thinking of Stam for a moment, but then I saw that it was a lower fee in £, back then it was more than 25 million in Euros.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
But which players should we have gotten £20m+ for? There's probably not many.

In retrospect, getting £16m for Welbeck was incredible given how his career panned out, particularly with injuries. But at the time, it should have been more, considering other English players going for 20m and above, like Lallana.

Maybe Daley Blind too, but we got what we paid for him and he was deemed surplus, so that was reasonable.

Probably should have got a bit more for Keane and Zaha, but not £20m at that time.

Herrera would be one if we didn't let him run it down. That was just awful planning.

Keeping hold of players too long, or paying them too much making them hard to shift is a bigger problem than the fees they end up bringing in.

Zlatattack

Veron
Ronaldo
Beckham
Di Maria
Schneiderlin
Memphis

- - -

Just read everyone else's answers. Would swap Lukaku for Memphis.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
We got a decent fee for Veron didn't we? Still less than we paid though.

Kag

Many would like this to fit the narrative of owner/executive incompetence but this has been an issue for decades. It’s actually improved in recent years.

Ferguson used to get rid of players like Neville and Butt for buttons, often to help out the players themselves, as well as give his managerial mates a helping hand. A nice gesture, no doubt, but not the cold-hearted business you seem to be wanting to see.

Making our money back on Lukaku this summer is one of the best bits of business we’ve ever done.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
David Beckham
Cristiano Ronaldo
Romelu Lukaku
Angel Di Maria
Morgan Schneiderlin (not 100% sure on that one)
Chicharito (Again, not sure about this)

That's my best guess without looking/googling)

EDIT: We only got 7m for Chicharito! :lol:

GuyfromAustria

Why on earth would he count?
Because many sites include swap deals with some estimated valuations in these lists (just look at our record departures on transfermarkt.com), so some might think of him...I'm fine either way.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
What's the right answer?

Jaap Stam or Depay?

Expense is killing me...

Ekeke

Does it though?

Yes we tend to keep players longer than we should sometimes, but couldn’t you say that we don’t sell anyone for massive amounts is because very few clubs are ‘bigger’ than us and can pressure us into selling?
No. Given we have bought plenty of players over £20 million, we've very much struggled to sell players we no longer wanted

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Problem is we hold on to players for too long. If someone was wise enough to realise that Bailly was a mistake - then selling him early on before all the bad performances we would definitely have got back £20 mil atleast. Now we would be lucky to get about 13-15.

Gopher Brown

No. Given we have bought plenty of players over £20 million, we've very much struggled to sell players we no longer wanted
Players from clubs we managed to pressure into selling?

We struggle to sell our underperforming players because of their wages and the degree to which they underperform. Why would clubs pay over £20m for a reject?

Ekeke

Players from clubs we managed to pressure into selling?

We struggle to sell our underperforming players because of their wages and the degree to which they underperform. Why would clubs pay over £20m for a reject?
Because they're worth it, compared to the players they sell to big clubs at the same fee. Contracts being too high to sell players just goes back to bad buying, leading to bad selling. They shouldn't have such high contracts

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Jesus feck, we dont often sell our good players for huge fees because we dont often sell our good players unless they want out. usually they stay until the tail end of their careers and then get sold because they are surplus to requirements.

Look at Barca, Madrid and Bayern and they would be in the same position.

Crashoutcassius

But which players should we have gotten £20m+ for? There's probably not many.

In retrospect, getting £16m for Welbeck was incredible given how his career panned out, particularly with injuries. But at the time, it should have been more, considering other English players going for 20m and above, like Lallana.

Maybe Daley Blind too, but we got what we paid for him and he was deemed surplus, so that was reasonable.

Probably should have got a bit more for Keane and Zaha, but not £20m at that time.

Herrera would be one if we didn't let him run it down. That was just awful planning.

Keeping hold of players too long, or paying them too much making them hard to shift is a bigger problem than the fees they end up bringing in.
we will eventually get more than 20m for zaha, in all likelihood

Suedesi

Becks
Jaap Stam
Schneiderlin
ADM
Romelu
Cristiano

Not sure what Mkhitariyan - Sanchez deal was valued at - it was a no-cash swap, but off the books probably qualifies as well.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Not this old chestnut again, we aren't nor ever have we been a selling club, we look after the players from the moment they come into the club until they leave, and long may that continue.
Maybe, but it's a football club. Not an retirement home. Just taking last year we should of got rid of

Young 8-10m
Jones. 10-15m
Rojo. 10m
Mata. 15m
Matic. 15m

Between 50-60m plus the wages we would be saving. Makes more sense to sell and buy players that would actually be useful to us rather than keeping passengers.