Bad Sales

IrishRick

I genuinely don't think there is a 6th. Ronaldo, Lukaku, Di Maria, Beckham and Schneiderlin are all over 20.

Depay was less, I think. And Stam was 16. Had we got 20 at the time it would not have been considered so controversial.

So ya, there is no 6th

Gopher Brown

Maybe, but it's a football club. Not an retirement home. Just taking last year we should of got rid of

Young 8-10m
Jones. 10-15m
Rojo. 10m
Mata. 15m
Matic. 15m

Between 50-60m plus the wages we would be saving. Makes more sense to sell and buy players that would actually be useful to us rather than keeping passengers.
And I’m sure if any clubs had offered anywhere near those amounts for those players we would have bitten their hands off.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
And I’m sure if any clubs had offered anywhere near those amounts for those players we would have bitten their hands off.
Everton were in for Rojo but the club blocked it.
Matic had bids from both Milan clubs which the club rejected
Mata would of had plenty of offers until we decided to give him a 2+1 contract and I'm sure some newly promoted or championship mugs would of been interested in Young and Jones.

stepic

Manchester United have sold Netherlands forward Memphis Depay to French Ligue 1 club Lyon.

It is thought the fee is £16m rising to £21.7m, with the add-ons including Lyon qualifying for the Champions League and Depay getting a new contract.

Where these adds ins included?? This is critical information for the sake of this thread. Highly critical.

Dr Fink

Memphis was sold for £14m.

Henrikh Mkhi - as part of the Sanchez deal.

The others were Lukaku, Beckham, Di Maria, Ronaldo and surprisingly Schneiderlin.

We let them go far, far too cheaply.

Raw

It's partly because we've been playing crap football since Fergie retired so the value of our players isn't as high, most of the time they look worse when they join us. When they're in an attractive attacking system they have the opportunity to really showcase their value, thus we can demand more money for them. Plus when a player does want to leave, we offer crazy contracts and beg them to stay anyway. Another big part of it is simply crap negotiating. Remember the huge exodus in players under LVG? We sold RVP and Nani for about £8m combined ffs.

Di Maria still had value because it had only been a season since he moved, plus he still produced a decent amount of assists. Lukaku is similar in that he still was our top scorer and boasted a very good PL goal scoring record. Still lost money on both though. Schneiderlin's the only real surprise, and I'd put that down to the boost in PL money overinflating value.

Right now the only player that I could see leaving for a large amount of money is Pogba, and that's not because of his performances with us. If he was performing to his standard at United, we'd be getting near 200m valuations.

Liverpool for example managed to sell Coutinho for a crazy price because they were able to create a team that allowed him to flourish. With Liverpool being a lesser club at the time, it allowed the better teams like Barcelona to take him away. They also negotiate very good prices for their players, they get crazy amounts of money for shit or unwanted players.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Maybe, but it's a football club. Not an retirement home. Just taking last year we should of got rid of

Young 8-10m
Jones. 10-15m
Rojo. 10m
Mata. 15m
Matic. 15m

Between 50-60m plus the wages we would be saving. Makes more sense to sell and buy players that would actually be useful to us rather than keeping passengers.
Not sure why Ashley Young is in that list as he is still a regular, and the other four are all seasoned pros who don't kick up a fuss when they're not picked and do passable jobs when called upon which goes back to the club looking after players when they are at the club, it's not all about accepting a lower fee so the player can get higher wages when they moves on.

Gopher Brown

Everton were in for Rojo but the club blocked it.
Matic had bids from both Milan clubs which the club rejected
Mata would of had plenty of offers until we decided to give him a 2+1 contract and I'm sure some newly promoted or championship mugs would of been interested in Young and Jones.
Everton wanted Rojo on loan and called it off when we said £25m.

Show me any source on Matic and I’ll believe you.

Mata would have gone on a free transfer.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Not sure why Ashley Young is in that list as he is still a regular, and the other four are all seasoned pros who don't kick up a fuss when they're not picked and do passable jobs when called upon which goes back to the club looking after players when they are at the club, it's not all about accepting a lower fee so the player can get higher wages when they moves on.
Passable players are for championship teams which is one of the reasons we're in the mess we're in. These players aren't even passable. Matic, Young and Rojo are actually liabilities. Mata now brings nothing to the table and Jones should of been gotten rid of years ago. In my opinion Smalling should of been the one to stay. Would of at least liked to have seen him form a partnership with Maquire before he was got rid of.

KeanoMagicHat

A few examples of players that could have gone for more:

Kagawa- former German player of the year, only 26 years old when sold...only £6.5m
Nani for £4.25m...still a good player who was under 30 at the time. He proved that by being useful at the Euros later.
Van Persie - £3.8m...He was in decline but had still been excellent in a World Cup a year earlier and reputation should have got more than that
Hernandez- One of the most prolific scorers in minutes per goal in Premier League history at the time...£7.3m. He then scored 17 goals in Bundesliga
Rafael - £2.5m...for a player who had been great in a title winning team only a few years earlier.

Pretty much entirely the fault of Van Gaal but could have got a lot more for these players.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Everton wanted Rojo on loan and called it off when we said £25m.

Show me any source on Matic and I’ll believe you.

Mata would have gone on a free transfer.
The deal with Rojo was go on loan for a season with the obligation to buy after the season finished. Apparently it was blocked because our hierarchy thought of Everton as direct challengers for European places :)

https://tribuna.com/en/manutd/news/3460714/

OK ill accept Mata on a free as his contract was running down. Would of got wages off the books though.

Dr Fink

I'm the OP and I've given you the six. There's no "add-ons" to include either. There's obviously been a bit of sneaky Googling too! :-)

crossy1686

career ending
That's a good quiz question but I don't understand why people get all up in arms about the prices we've sold players for. We've never been a selling club and we only sell players when we're done with them, most of the time they don't want to leave but Fergie wanted them gone.

The only real exception was Ronaldo and we got a fair whack for him at the time.

Big clubs don't sell their players because it's good business, Fergie made sure we never fell into that trap. It's the same for most of the big clubs around Europe, they all have similar selling stats so it's absolutely no indication of a poorly run club, in fact it's the opposite.

Grande

I'm the OP and I've given you the six. There's no "add-ons" to include either. There's obviously been a bit of sneaky Googling too! :-)
But how do we know you are correct? There are several claims that Depay gets above with add-ons (which is part of the sales deal), and sources that Stam was above (Transfermarkt, doubt it, but it’s a source). Why should we believe you, and how do you know for certain the status of Mkhitarian’s evaluation in the deal?

I believe you, just curious.

patty123

The others were Lukaku, Beckham, Di Maria, Ronaldo and surprisingly Schneiderlin.
That's only five pal , so who is the sixth ? As can't for the life of me think of another other than the ones you listed

Maticmaker

How many players out of those mentioned over £20m, did we sell where we got more than what we paid for them?

Ronaldo, Beckham????

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Not this old chestnut again, we aren't nor ever have we been a selling club, we look after the players from the moment they come into the club until they leave, and long may that continue.
This. Hopefully we continue to buy players and they have a long career for us. We sell them when they are near the end of their career and this is a good thing. We want the Ronaldos and Beckhams, the ones that leave during their prime, to be few and far between.

Needham

20 million is a kind of arbitrary figure though isn't it. If you change the number to 1 million we've done brilliant.

Siorac

Surely Van Nistelrooy went for more than 20 million.
Nope. 10 million. He was 30 at the time, he wanted out, Fergie wanted rid, and it was at a time when 14.6M for Michael Carrick was considered to be ridiculously expensive. So it made sense in context.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Passable players are for championship teams which is one of the reasons we're in the mess we're in. These players aren't even passable. Matic, Young and Rojo are actually liabilities. Mata now brings nothing to the table and Jones should of been gotten rid of years ago. In my opinion Smalling should of been the one to stay. Would of at least liked to have seen him form a partnership with Maquire before he was got rid of.
Sorry that's nonsense, I wouldn't want any of them to be guaranteed starters but as squad players available when needed they serve a purpose, and I say that as somebody who wants us to throw a load of kids in, when the kids are ready those 3 and Mata will be moved on.

M Bison

Supports
York City
It’d be interesting to compare with the likes of City and Chelsea etc.

Surely players leaving these sorts of sides only really do so because they’re not performing in which case the value is bound to be lower?

DanClancy

Problem is we hold on to players for too long. If someone was wise enough to realise that Bailly was a mistake - then selling him early on before all the bad performances we would definitely have got back £20 mil atleast. Now we would be lucky to get about 13-15.
A huge problem is our wage bill, certain players are on too much and it makes them difficult to shift. We're going to have the same problem with Lingard & Fred if we try to move them on. The wage bill is either the 3rd or 4th biggest but the quality of that squad doesn't reflect that all, its going to continue to be a problem.

Alfie092

What players in our current squad that are fringe players/ideally should be sold would go for at least £20m?

Young
Jones
Bailly (if he continues to be injury prone)
Rojo
Matic
Lingard
Mata

The above are not all players that I would want to get rid of but just listing a few of the squad players and apart from maybe Bailly, I don't see anyone going for at least £20m? I know there was talk about Rojo going for around that price.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I've never understood this issue some people have with the amounts we sell our players for.

We're not a selling club. The players we sell are the ones we deem surplus. The only player we were reluctant to sell was Ronaldo, and we got a world record fee for him.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Stam
Ronaldo
Beckham
Zaha
RvN
Rafael

In no particular order. However, some of the players wanted to leave.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Beckham... by far the most marketable player in the world, only sold for peanuts (around 30m), his shirt sell within first few months already cover all the money Real has paid for him.
Stam... sold for 16m.. but he was the best CB in the league and he was at his peak when we sold him
Ronaldo... sold for world record for 80m, which seems fair back then. But ever since we've sold him, his career start to go sky high, scoring 450 goals in 438 games for Real and won another 4 CL and 4 Ballon D'or, while we start to go downhill, only manage to win 2 league titles in a decade, and dropping outside top 4 in recent years. Its huge loss for us.
Zaha... sold for 3m at 22, now worth over 80m at 27. We are just plain stupid.