Bailly and Lindelof

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Leicester got lot of Set pieces and most were cleared easily. They need to start more
A lot of the set pieces were headed away by Pogba. I worry about this partnership- particularly both of them being weak on heading and Lindelof seems a bit shy on physical matchups in particular

glorious

Bailly is too rash and sometimes lack awareness about the opponent's position. Just like tonight.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Baily still doesn't convince me fully. That goal sums him up. Just inexplicably let the ball run when he should have cleared it. It was and easy ball to deal with, but it's the sort of thing he does unfortunately.

He had a decent game overall, but is prone to these lapses.

JMack1234

I want to see them get a solid run of games for us. Yeah they looked shaky at times but it's either their first or second competitive start together. Either way they're both a class above any other partnership we'll be able to put together this season.

ash_86

Pogba made two of the best defensive headers from those. Lindelof made one I think. Can’t remember Bailey making any, could be wrong though.
A lot of the set pieces were headed away by Pogba. I worry about this partnership- particularly both of them being weak on heading and Lindelof seems a bit shy on physical matchups in particular
Aye! What struck me was the defensive organization looked good . Either it was this pair that was doing it or not i don't know. But unlike attack , players knew what to do , whom to mark etc.

Revan

Assumptionman
Smalling and Bailly is our best CB pairing. Lindelof and Bailly are weak in the air and relied too much on Pogba
From corners and free kicks yes, but then, it is likely that we will always have one of Pogba/Fellaini always in the pitch, so hardly a problem.

Thing is, depending on the opponent, Jose should decide if he prefers Smalling physicality or Lindelof's ball playing ability. Smalling is better than Lindelof at defense, but Lindelof passes better.

Loublaze

ATLien
From corners and free kicks yes, but then, it is likely that we will always have one of Pogba/Fellaini always in the pitch, so hardly a problem.

Thing is, depending on the opponent, Jose should decide if he prefers Smalling physicality or Lindelof's ball playing ability. Smalling is better than Lindelof at defense, but Lindelof passes better.
I don't see Mourinho being comfortable with that all season so I agree with you about rotation depending on the opponent. With that said I still think Smalling and Bailly will get more game time together fitness allowing.

A-man

I really prefer Bailly and Lindelof rather than any of them together with Smalling, but to be fair to Smalling he was very good last season. He also scored some crucial goals.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If you've signed them, stick to them but that doesn't mean Smalling and Rojo can't handle against more physical sides as much as they won't be exposed to constant pressure we like to invite sometimes.

Bailly & Lindelof could be useful in Champions League but in their age improvement is everything. They simply need to progress further and the good news is Mourinho managed to produce solid defensive units in almost every league he was in.

arthurka

Dont want Jones and Rojo anywhere near this team. The rest can play . Like this pairing it has potential .

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Far better than jones and smalling. Jose must play them and not change them after one bad game.

Seven Seas Sardines

More likely one will get injured forcing a change.....
I'll be in heaven if we manage to keep a CB partnership until the international break. If they play the same against Tottenham I might start hoping they're the next Rio and Vidic like people on twitter claim they are.

Last edited:

Donut

Relegation standard. Smalling must come in during half time.

AndyJ1985

And to think the alternative is Jones and Smalling... don't know whether to laugh or cry

Kapardin

Smalling is twice the defender that these two are. I honestly didn't think anyone could top some of Jones-Smalling gaffes, but they have done it.

ZlatMan

I can see why Jose want new CBs when you have chump defending like that.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Seem to have replaced the chuckle brothers

acnumber9

The signs were there last week. Absolute car crash of a performance and it comes as no surprise.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Blind is better than both. Don't know why José didn't stick with the Smalling-Blind partnership - our best since Rio/Vidic.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I dont think the centerbacks are the reason for us failing to outplay fecking Brighton. Theyve been better all around, irrespective of the back line. Mourinho should learn how to coach a fecking attack.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Smalling always got a hard time on here because he's shite on the ball, but at least he gets the basics right. His positioning is always solid, he doesn't make rash stupid fecking decisions, he can follow a run, hold a line, etc etc.