Bailly and Lindelof

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Yeah it's time to say it, Bailly's very overrated.
Been saying it for ages, but it really should have been obvious to everyone after Sevilla.

acnumber9

Yeah it's time to say it, Bailly's very overrated.
That’s been abundantly clear from day one. Majority of people on this forum wouldn’t know a footballer if one slapped them in the face.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I dont think the centerbacks are the reason for us failing to outplay fecking Brighton. Theyve been better all around, irrespective of the back line. Mourinho should learn how to coach a fecking attack.
We've conceded 3 times to fecking Brighton in the first half and you think the attack is the problem?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Every player we buy, makes a good first impression and then turn to shit.

Why is that?

Dante

Average bang
Also, Bailly is positionally one of the worst defenders I've ever seen. It's like he doesn't care where his teammates are.

ekestubbe

I can see why Jose want new CBs when you have chump defending like that.
Seeing as how these two are both Mourinho's buys in the first place what makes you think any new ones he buys wouldn't be as shit?

Moorhuhn

I can see why Jose want new CBs when you have chump defending like that.
Well, to be honest, those two were brought by him... And not for some small amount of money.
I'm starting to question his capabillity to pick players properly. For me, it's more, splash the cash for 6 or 7 and hopefully 1 or 2 will be fine.

Raw

That’s been abundantly clear from day one. Majority of people on this forum wouldn’t know a footballer if one slapped them in the face.
It's because he's very animated when defending instead of being a calm imposing presence. People, like myself, grew to really like his wackiness when we win. But games like today really show his glaring weaknesses.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Keep discussions about players in specific games to the Match Thread until after the game is finished.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Well hopefully that’s put paid to this nonsense once and for all

Injury aside smalling & Jones are our best pairing

extincti fugax hominum

I miss the Rojo - Jones partnership in the first part of the 16-17 season. Jones seemed to overcome his fitness issues and Rojo was a revelation under Jose in his first season. Unfortunately Rojo did his ACL against Anderlecht and Jones broke his toe i think. I want to see that partnership again as both Bailly & Lindelof still look too raw.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Lindelof isn't aggressive enough when defending against a ball passed into the opposition striker. He often lets the striker have the ball, which leads to the opposition having an outlet.

Promising signs for this partnership though.
What you described is Murray's goal but worse since it was inside the box and a few meters in front of the goal

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I miss the Rojo - Jones partnership in the first part of the 16-17 season. Jones seemed to overcome his fitness issues and Rojo was a revelation under Jose in his first season. Unfortunately Rojo did his ACL against Anderlecht and Jones broke his toe i think. I want to see that partnership again as both Bailly & Lindelof still look too raw.
Rinse and repeat. It's a never ending cycle :lol:

PvsNP

I agree, they were genuinely class together, although Rojo was still a red card waiting to happen at the time. However, none of them has performed at that level since that season.

macheda14

Seeing as how these two are both Mourinho's buys in the first place what makes you think any new ones he buys wouldn't be as shit?
This line of thought gets trotted out quite a lot and it makes no sense. Mourinho has bought good centre backs in the past and will buy good centre backs again in the future. Every manager buys duds. Fergie bought duds. Fergie bought Bellion and Manucho - "he should never be allowed to by another striker ever again".

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Hopefully Bailly's invincible reputation of being the best CB at the club can end now. He's got so much he needs to improve on.
Nah. Once he's out of the team for a while (either because of injury or just dropped because of poor form), give it a few weeks and half the forum will be claiming Bailly's the best again. The exact same thing keeps happening with him.

It's like people are completely incapable of separating potential (which Bailly does have) with actual performances.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Bailly is dog software running on cat hardware.

A bit dim and slow in the head, but he’s quick to react and recover his mistakes.

Last edited:

Hitchez

Smalling is the best defender we have. It should always be Smalling + 1 as long as he's fit. Bailly is up there with Rojo as a downright liability

United Pro

What you described is Murray's goal but worse since it was inside the box and a few meters in front of the goal
Smalling should probably have played. Lindelof has better distribution, but for the most part he only needed to pass simply, which Smalling can do. It also didn't help that the midfielders in front of him were totally off their game.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Smalling should probably have played. Lindelof has better distribution, but for the most part he only needed to pass simply, which Smalling can do. It also didn't help that the midfielders in front of him were totally off their game.
Lindelof is better for home games. Away from home, against physical players(Murray isn't prolific but he is such an intelligent player who uses his body well) it really is asking for trouble. It is worrying that it still seems he hasn't settled in

Alabaster Codify7

Disgusting showing.
If Lindelöf is a 'ball playing CB' then any CB alive is a ball-player. He does nothing but sideways and GK passes, nothing penetrative coz he's terrified to attempt it. No physical presence, no grit, no balls.

Bailly on the other has those three things.....he just lacks something else. A fecking brain.

It'll be Jones/Smalling next weekend and to be honest, as horrible as it sounds, I would prefer it.

Rajma

Bailly is dog software running on cat hardware.

A bit dim and slow in the head, but he’s quick to react and recover his mistakes.
:lol: He really doesn’t seem to care about holding his position and trying to get the whole line to play as a unit.

SteveW

Let’s stick Smalling on. A natural leader like him is bound to bring assurance and composure to our back line.

Oh wait...
Perhaps a defender who could do the basics right might have helped though? Our defensive record has been good in the last couple of seasons when he's played. The only person he hasn't had a reasonable partnership with is Jones.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think they would have benefitted from having an experienced class centre back there to calm Bailly down and transmit confidence to Lindelof. When people say Woodward was absolutely right not to back Jose in going for another because he's already bought two (young and relatively cheap) centre backs then that's fine if we're not looking to compete with City. Pep bought a keeper and decided he wasn't good enough, bought another. He's afforded the luxury of misjudging things in the market. They lose a centre back for a couple of months, January window, buy another. And his purchases aren't cheap either. They want the best available.

Romez

This partnership is heavily overrated, they had TWO good months together.

Also they're our most injury prone defenders, so you're never going to get consistency out of them.