Bailly and Lindelof

MAME DIOUF 32

Bailly is starting to remind me of someone like James Collins. You'd see him throwing himself in front of shots on MotD every week and the pundits would be praising his "passion" and "leadership", but it all comes from being sucked towards the ball and out of position all the time. He's another who's regressed from a promising start.

Lindelof... I really don't know. He looks a better player than he did last season but it's still hard to see what he does particularly well.

simpandenstore

One really bad game together, you want smalling in again. Just wait a couple of matches with smalling and/or jones you will say -smalling/jones +anyone else. Haha just wait for it..
I saw a glimpse of hope for Lindelöf and Bailly the last game. Give them a couple of more games together and if they performs like this again smalling will come on. But believe me, -smalling will come.

NinjaFletch

One really bad game together, you want smalling in again. Just wait a couple of matches with smalling and/or jones you will say -smalling/jones +anyone else. Haha just wait for it..
I saw a glimpse of hope for Lindelöf and Bailly the last game. Give them a couple of more games together and if they performs like this again smalling will come on. But believe me, -smalling will come.
Hey, it's almost like none of our centre back options are good and we should have liked to upgrade in the summer or something.

kaempen

Yes, absolutely ridiculous to call for Smalling and Jones now. 9/10 people supported the current CB pairing until this game, and they will change their mind again as soon as Smalling or Jones make some mistakes.

Sylar

I miss Smalling/Blind partnership.

And boy, that wasnt good enough for us lol

Strangely, id still be tempted to start this partnership against Spurs.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Promising talents that need a leader next to them.

^Said every single person this summer except Woodward.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Promising talents that need a leader next to them.

^Said every single person this summer except Woodward.
Thought Alderweireld would of been perfect for that role. Top drawer CB with a wealth of experience in the PL who can help organise the younger CB's around him in a back three or back two and is also good with the ball at his feet and can initiate attacks from the back.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Jose had Big John Terry & Carvallho. Now he's got these two clowns :lol:

Time to bring smelling or Jones in and hope we can ride it out until January.

el3mel

Found it absolutely hilarious we're entering 6th season post SAF and still our supposedly most successful defensive pairing is Valencia, Smalling, Jones and Young.

During this period we had bought Rojo, Lindelof, Blind, Darmian and Bailly for a sum of money I think approaching 200m. That's equal to what City needed to wipe their defense and fullbacks with new great ones.

We're a crap club when it comes to scouting and transfer business. Complete mess.

Camilo

Jose is doing neither any favours - we were a shambles today. Acres of space all over the pitch for Brighton to play in.. I don't think you can blame either really. Sure, a Rio and Ramos partnership today does better, and they probably pull a few of the others into line a bit, but the problems in the team are far great than our CB pairing. We were just dominated by fecking Brighton.

United Pro

Lindelof is better for home games. Away from home, against physical players(Murray isn't prolific but he is such an intelligent player who uses his body well) it really is asking for trouble. It is worrying that it still seems he hasn't settled in
I don't think it's a matter of settling in, but more about player match up and play style. Lindelof doesn't do as well against strong forwards that hold up the ball, so he needs help against such players. Perhaps one of the midfielders should stay the other side of the forward and help Lindelof dispossess him. The centre backs didn't have enough cover in the first half and that's why Mourinho replaced Pereira at half time (not that he played badly or anything, but he simply isn't Matic's level defensively). I think having Matic's shielding presence back will help immensely.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Everyone knew Smalling had to play against their direct style of play yet Jose didn't.

Revan

Assumptionman
I miss Smalling/Blind partnership.

And boy, that wasnt good enough for us lol

Strangely, id still be tempted to start this partnership against Spurs.
Smalling-Blind partnership was the only CB partnership that has looked semi decent since Fergie left. Not great and it has his weaknesses but was quite competent.

The other for most part had looked like utter shit, bar Jones/Bailly - Rojo for a couple of months (when Rojo should have sent off twice).

kaempen

Until they play at least, and then become Caf's public enemy. Rinse and repeat.

Maybe none of our CBs are that good.
The problem is most likely not the players but the club itself. Everybody seems unable to maintain a great level or improve as soon as they sign for United. Di Maria, Falcao, Pogba, Mata (?), Sanchez, Mkhitharyan, the defenders are all examples of this.

hobbers

Bailly is to central defenders what Xhaka is to central midfielders. Rash, clueless, throws himself in with gusto and doesnt care if he's 10 yards away from the ball.

Tony247

After DDG saved our collective a$$es umpteen times last season everyone was screaming through rooftop we needed a senior CB this season. 5 months they sat on it and sold one, bought none. Amazing!

Tony247

How on earth in 2014 we let vidic and rio go without smooth transition from senior to a promising leader is beyond belief. Each top team has senior leader at back. Valencia and young are not the answer. They are senior but hardly a leader defender material.

Canagel

Bailly was top when he came. Lindelof arrived to high expectations and had a decent world cup. I can accept new players not working out from time to time but when every player United signs turns to shite I have to look at the style, tactics, coaching and system. It's not normal for so many players to look below their level.

Acole9

Outstanding
That was the worst display from a centre back pairing I've seen (Yes, worse than Smalling and Jones) Two matches of this pairing is enough for me. Bailly is useless, embarrassing performance yesterday, Lindelof just needs someone authoritative beside him, worked for him at the World Cup.

Classical Mechanic

Everyone knew Smalling had to play against their direct style of play yet Jose didn't.
Either he's trying to prove a point by playing the two centre backs he demanded be signed or he isn't happy with Smalling turning vegan and losing weight. I think Jones is out of favour after the FA Cup final.

Those are my guesses.

Classical Mechanic

That was the worst display from a centre back pairing I've seen (Yes, worse than Smalling and Jones) Two matches of this pairing is enough for me. Bailly is useless, embarrassing performance yesterday, Lindelof just needs someone authoritative beside him, worked for him at the World Cup.
Sweden sit deep with two banks of four, the vast majority of defenders look good in this system as there is less space to mark and more teammates to help you out. We had to take the game to Brighton yesterday leaving space in behind, its a totally different job.

Thing is, next week we will sit deep so whoever plays CB will likely be flattered by that system.

Either he's trying to prove a point by playing the two centre backs he demanded be signed or he isn't happy with Smalling turning vegan and losing weight. I think Jones is out of favour after the FA Cup final.

Those are my guesses.
I assume he's trying to forge a proper partnership and knows Smalling will never be good enough. Bailly and Lindelof have shown the odd glimpse that they might be. Fact is it doesn't matter who we have, if we sit back and invite pressure the way we did yesterday no CB pairing is going to be good enough. Letting them close us down on the edge of our own box all game ffs. Mistakes are inevitable.

Still, i hope we continue with the same pair next game. Whoever he plays its never going to be a partnership if he changes it every couple of games.

Jig1234

I know the CB had a mare yesterday but they've only started playing together this season. We've had to watch Smalling and Jones stink up the place for countless years now. I'm willing to give these two more of a chance, they need more time. Plus, Mourinho spent 60m on the pair he should be getting them to function properly.

Also, I think people are harping on the CB and defence too much. Bigger issue is our style of play, Our inability to deal with teams that press high. Our rubbish build-up play from defence to midfield. No one in this team looks like they know what they're doing. No cohesion on the pitch. All we do is pass it from defence to midfield, the ball never gets up the the attacks at all.

If you don't know how to move the ball effectively, you will always get dispossessed and punished. Yes, the defence should be doing better but It doesn't matters who you have in defence, if you don't know how to play football. You will always end up losing the ball in dangerous areas.

You will also get punished if all you do is deep and try to 'contain' the opposition, we don't try to win the ball back. We just get everyone behind the ball and hope we can snuff attacks out, which goes back to my earlier point about how rubbish we are at moving the ball from one end to the pitch to the other. These tactics are counter productive, they are not conducive to winning football matches, creating chances or scoring goals.

Last edited:

Kostov

When your CBs make Glen fecking Murray look like Ibrahimovic, you know they are shit. Lindelof looked like he wanted to cry at one point, and the referee gave Murray a yellow out of pity. He as well as us couldn't take it any more and had to get involved.

Kostov

Those are my guesses.
I'm not sure what will he achieve by that, maybe admit he made a mistake in bringing them in the first place?

Alabaster Codify7

Matic is going to have to play as a centre back...

Yes, I am deadly serious
I've decided I want to see this given a try.

3-5-2 with Matic as the central, "ball playing" CB flanked on either side. He's big,strong,composed,defensive minded and a fine and varied passer.

Plus,he's getting older&slower. Might need to move back further and hopefully run less.

SSSSnake

I feel ashamed wanting to see Smalling back in the team but that's how I feel and I just don't trust these 2 at the back. Last season at least we defended well. But now that's 4 goals conceded in 2 games. So we seemed to have regressed in defence and we still have a problem creating chances. Lads I think we're well and truly fecked for the season.

MrBest

I would give them a few more games together. Our problem is changing the back 2 every two games for one reason or another. Players need to learn how to gell together And understand the others pros and cons. Bailey and Lindeloff both have good talent, just need a bit more encouragement and faith. Bringing Smalling back is not the answer.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I've decided I want to see this given a try.

3-5-2 with Matic as the central, "ball playing" CB flanked on either side. He's big,strong,composed,defensive minded and a fine and varied passer.

Plus,he's getting older&slower. Might need to move back further and hopefully run less.
Didn’t show any signs of slowing down last season. I want to see Matic back in the midfield to add a bit of fecking stability in there. Pogba - Pereira - Fred does not work yet.

Tony247

Thing is CB can have a bad day, couple of bad decisions, understandable. But playing clueless chicken for 90 minutes, can't get your shite together, can't show composure is really worrying. This is not mere bad luck or calculated risk went wrong...this is fking nightmare.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Both Bailly and Lindelof are young and learning. That's why Mou wanted an experienced CB who can lead the defence. Unfortunately Woody knows better.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Smalling isn’t good enough but he’s better than lindelof and Bailly put together
I think he's equally as poor. we have five CBs (is i five?) and not on of them would get into sides at City, Spurs, Chelsea or Liverpool

Classical Mechanic

I'm not sure what will he achieve by that, maybe admit he made a mistake in bringing them in the first place?
Either to show the board that he does have good judgement or to show the board they're not good enough and that we need a replacement.

Hard to know what goes on in his mind but given what happened last season I'm at a loss to understand why they both start over Smalling.

Kostov

Either to show the board that he does have good judgement or to show the board they're not good enough and that we need a replacement.

Hard to know what goes on in his mind but given what happened last season I'm at a loss to understand why they both start over Smalling.
Either way, I'm tired of the CB shit show. None of them is good enough for this club. If Jose is staying I want him to be ruthless and clear them out. Sink or swim, no more excuses, this should be a last chance saloon for Lindelof and Bailly also. If they fail to cement themselves they should be out of the door as well.

Marcky411

Well it doesn't surprise me that Lindelof and Bailly are on the receiving end after yesterday's performance but they were not the only ones. As some have pointed out we need some leadership in the back, some calmness and composure. We had that to a greater extent under LvG with the partnership of Mike Smalling and Blind. Blind was an excellent reader of the game and in big games had no trouble having strikers like Aguero, Kane and Lukaku in his pocket but he didn't fit Jose's idea of a CD. We all know that Jones and Smalling aren't the answer and Rojo too has a disaster in him, thus we end up with Jose's buys Lindelof and Bailly. They are young players and need time, actually Lindelof had a very good WC but then was paired with other players. It actually surprises me to no end that our CD are that poor seeing we have a manager who is a defensive genius, knowing how to set up defenses that are very difficult to penetrate.