Bailly and Lindelof

wolvored

Bailly and Lindelof: Laurel and Hardy? Awful. Bailly has always had the potential to have a game like this; too headstrong, jumps in without thinking. Lindelof: just asleep. And to think, a lot on here slagged off Jones and Smalling.............just a thought.
Yes but that's only like removing a nail inserting a screw in a bolt hole. None of our defenders are of the quality needed at a supposedly top team to challenge regular. Even if we had bought in another defender it would still happen where we would get caught out as you need 2 top players at the back at the very least. That's why we have a poor attack as everyone has to come back way too deep

kentafuji

Yeah, would like us to stick with them. They need time to form that partnership, to form that understanding.

If after a proper run of games, they still arent convincing, then drop them.

Zlatattack

It can't be easy being a manager. So many of us, myself included wanted him to play this CB pairing. Now that he does, I wonder if he's doing it to prove how rubbish they are together? It's silly of course.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
He was the beneficiary of the usual rhetoric on here. New player replacing universally loathed player gets overhyped. The same happened with Darmian and happened with Bailly because people hate Smalling and Jones. It still happens despite the regular evidence to the contrary.
Yeah, I thought Smalling and Jones got a rough ride last season. Smallings form was much-improved from the previous 18months and Jones, yes he had that dreadful game but he has the most consistent defender under Mourinho. Though they aren't the most natural pairing as they both a bit uncomfortable playing the left of the two centre-backs. But we did have an incredible defensive record last season and these two were keeping Bailly, Lindlof and Rojo out the team. So it seems bizarre that before Sunday loads of fans had Bailly down as one of the top 5 centre backs in the league(there's a thread on it) and slate Smalling and jones so much.

nainaisson

It can't be easy being a manager. So many of us, myself included wanted him to play this CB pairing. Now that he does, I wonder if he's doing it to prove how rubbish they are together? It's silly of course.
After having watched the game again, I think it's less them not playing well together than Lindelof's obvious physical limitations. He's too slow. He made a 34-year-old Glenn Murray look like Sergio Aguero. If we could just figure out a way to put his brain in Chris Smalling's body and donate Smalling's brain to science, I think we'd have a decent CB.

Mcking

After having watched the game again, I think it's less them not playing well together than Lindelof's obvious physical limitations. He's too slow. He made a 34-year-old Glenn Murray look like Sergio Aguero. If we could just figure out a way to put his brain in Chris Smalling's body and donate Smalling's brain to science, I think we'd have a decent CB.
A big reason is Bailly too. He doesn't have that mentality and natural aura that is needed to play CB. A centerback is meant to be reactionary and always switched on, while being in constant communication with his partner and the backline.
Bailly just goes about chasing down the ball and everything that comes his way without minding the threat in behind and the threat of the opposition players off the ball. Any partnership that contains Bailly usually seem exposed and easy to break through.
I think we looked solid with Smalling and Lindelof last season as they are two calm CBs that cover for each other's weakness.

Revaulx

He was the beneficiary of the usual rhetoric on here. New player replacing universally loathed player gets overhyped. The same happened with Darmian and happened with Bailly because people hate Smalling and Jones. It still happens despite the regular evidence to the contrary.
Absolutely.

I can sort of understand Jones’ occasional brain farts and constant injuries pissing people off, but I have no idea what Smalling has done to be so hated.

It was interesting to contrast the reactions to Jones’ and Bailly’s own goals v Spurs and Liverpool last season: the latter was laughed off; the former was He Must Never Play For Us Again.

Revaulx

I thought Lindelöf looked very good at the World Cup as part of an extremely well organised Sweden defence.

JMack1234

I feel like they'd be pretty good if they a top draw experienced CB next to either of them. However, together it's a disaster waiting to happen. They simply cannot plat together vs Spurs otherwise they'll get destroyed by the Spurs attack.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Worry about them tbh. Bournemouth have about six attack minded players out there.

Hubal

Bailly will miss Newcastle, Reading (FA Cup) and Spurs games apparently.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Bailly is done, he doesn't have the technique at the top level.

If we have any ambition we should go all out for De Ligt.

Skills

Snitch
Lindelof has looked promising this season. He's earned the right to be persisted with.

sect2k

Never in any universe was that a red, yellow for recklessness, but nothing more.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Originally called for this partnership, but with how good Lindelof looks at RCB, I’d rather not move him.

Which leaves Jones and Rojo...

Jacob

Bailly passed the medical but not the psychological..

el3mel

Never imagined I'll see a worse combination than Smalling and Jones but this one proving me wrong.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Possibly our worst partnership. The sooner we buy some better centre backs the better. It's one thing Mourinho was right about.

Dante

Average bang
Still think Jones and Smalling are our best defence.
Definitely.

Neither Lindelof nor Bailly are good enough to be first choice. I'd keep one of them around as a squad player and sell the other (for the sake of maintaining reasonable squad numbers).

Obviously, Bailly has just come off a moment of madness. People are understandably going to be more damning of him this evening. But I think the two are of a similar level and whoever leaves will depend on the fees being offered.

This thread was always premature. Some people just get carried away with shiny new players from foreign leagues, regardles of whether they're any good.

Coops73

Bailly has a brain fart in him but I think Lindelof is getting better and better.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Thankfully Bournemouth didn't have much aerial presence - we would've been exposed otherwise.

Sylar

Bailly got a red. But he could have had two reds. The red however was just pure stupidity. 4-1 up, with ten minutes to go, and on the half way line.

It wasnt even a brainfart or anything cos hes done it before. I thought he was doing well before that.

hobbers

Lindelof will be a good partner to a top quality, more experienced addition I think.

He has a whiff of Evans about him, we just need to find his Vidic.

Bailly doesn't have a future at the club.

Suedesi

Bailly has a lot of those tackles in his game, the kind that look great and decisive when they come off.
He's a complete moron. He landed studs on the chest of Bournemouth player just 5 minutes earlier following a "clearance", and then does that stupid lunge on the hallfway line at 4-1 with 10 minutes to go. He's just a braindead defender. Never seen the best of the best injure or endanger opponents as much as Bailly does.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Thank god Mourinho can spot a great CB from miles away. How could we live without Lindelof and Bailly?

Romez

Smalling Lindelof is by far our best partnership, which isn’t saying much but it’s true.

KingOfJing88

In a couple years neither will be holding down a regular cb spot .. Bailly too rash an inconsistent and there isn’t any thing about Lindelof that screams quality.

Kostov

I think Bailly was the better of the two, until that stupid rash tackle. Unlucky but that's what you get when you don't use you brain Eric.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Bailly wont make it, he does not have the intelligence. Lindelof is ok as a squad player