Bailly ankle injury | Reported to be back in training

cyril C

My bad. Got the two cups confused, i.e. the main one and the one for domestic players. Get him to the doctor!
Should have taken the decision sooner, wasting valuable time. It is not as bad as most people think, because we will lose him for a month in Jan if he is fit anyway. I think we can manage the fixture provided Jones and Smalling stay on their feet. Returning by early March would be a good timing.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Should have taken the decision sooner, wasting valuable time. It is not as bad as most people think, because we will lose him for a month in Jan if he is fit anyway. I think we can manage the fixture provided Jones and Smalling stay on their feet. Returning by early March would be a good timing.
No I was mistaken. That's another African Cup that only includes domestic players that's in January. The main one was moved to fit into players' club schedule, played in summer.

cyril C

No I was mistaken. That's another African Cup that only includes domestic players that's in January. The main one was moved to fit into players' club schedule, played in summer.
Are you saying that Mane and Salah need not go away in Jan, because their usual Jan African Cup schedule has been cancelled - World Cup in summer, so no way another African Cup.

Last edited:

Red Stone

This is why we have so many CBs
Yep. The annual centre back injury crisis is on the horizon. I can already see Jones managing to feck himself up in some bizarre way and Rojo suffering a setback on his current injury. Tuanzebe better be ready.

flappyjay

out for 3 months

Smalling, Lindeloff, Rojo, Jones and Tuanzebe are cover enough. Given Jones will be injured that's still 4 CBs. None as good as him but would like to see Smalling/ Lindeloff/Tuanzebe back 3
Also Blind is an option there

Nikelesh Reddy

It's a pity really,the lads probably our best defender and to be without him for 3 months is terrible.The only saving grace is that we still have 5 options,so hopefully we won't miss him too much....

Cliche Guevara

Are you saying that Mane and Salah need not go away in Jan, because their usual Jan African Cup schedule has been cancelled - World Cup in summer, so no way another African Cup.
It’s every two years. Now moved to summer so next one summer 2019.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It's a shame due to his obvious potential and that his weaknesses, such as aerialy, would only get better with repetition. Which he won't be getting anytime soon.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Doesn't matter too much. I think we can still be in Top 4 with or without Bailly. Anyway, not much difference between 2nd or 3rd or 4th position from the point of value.

I think we should rotate the squad more now. Trying to find the right balance and more talent from within the ranks to be ready to fight for the title next season.

Should also start planning our transfer activities well in advance to avoid poor business.

Lot of players need to be offloaded while they still have buyers in the market.

Nucks

RT History Department
He's becoming the new Phil Jones. Can't seem to string any games together.
To be fair, Bailly is basically a Ferrari, who thinks he is a dump truck smashing about. Jones is a dumptruck, who smashes about :)

Ashley R1+O

A massive blow, so far our other lads are holding firm, some great form shown by Smalling and supplementary performances from Jones and Rojo will hopefully see us through, hope he comes back better and stronger.

It's a big blow, particularly given the fact Jones will never stay fit for a full three months. At least we have plenty of centre backs at the club and will just have to get on with it. Haste ye back big Bailly.

Kostov

There was a video of Bailly running in a pool some couple of days back, guess we might have him back in February.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I miss Bailly. I don't think he's been too badly missed on the pitch, or at least not when both Smalling and Jones are available, but neither is mad like Bailly.

CM

That seems extremely premature for an injury that was originally supposed to keep him out until March. There's no point rushing players back if they aren't ready, as we've already seen with Ibra.

SirAF

Ageist

Can't wait to see him back on the pitch.

meamth

Can't wait to have him back, but to be fair to Jones. He carried our defence in Bailly's absence and definitely is the 2nd best center back for us.

Him and Bailly will be our 1st choice pairing.

Oldyella

Can't wait to have him back, but to be fair to Jones. He carried our defence in Bailly's absence and definitely is the 2nd best center back for us.

Him and Bailly will be our 1st choice pairing.
Think that's unfair on Smalling who has pretty much been an ever present since getting fit while Jones has been in and out. Agree that Jones and Bailly should get a shot at being first choice partnership though, fitness permitting. Think they combine well.

Trizy

First defender on the team sheet for me. Can;t wait until he's back, the lunatic :D

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Physioroom saying 11th of Feb, is that reliable?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Will he be back in time to face Sevilla?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
saw the thread title and worried!

Then quickly realised no one has updated it in 2months.

United never give up

It's a big blow, particularly given the fact Jones will never stay fit for a full three months. At least we have plenty of centre backs at the club and will just have to get on with it. Haste ye back big Bailly.
This is becoming overstated - yes Jones has had injury problems but this season he's started to get over them

He has the most Premier league appearances out of any of our CB's

Pl appearances this season (26 games gone):

Jones - 20 (which are all starts, when fit he always seems to start)
Smalling - 18
Lindelof - 10
Bailly - 8
Rojo - 7

I feel that people aren't giving Jones credit for the fact that he's been fit for most of our PL games, he has more appearances than Bailly and Rojo combined

Last edited:

United never give up

To be fair, Bailly is basically a Ferrari, who thinks he is a dump truck smashing about. Jones is a dumptruck, who smashes about :)
Except Jones is more proven and achieved more in the game than Bailly, who is starting to become slightly overrated on here IMO (feel free to disagree, just my thoughts)

As I mentioned earlier, Jones has more PL appearances this season than Bailly and Rojo combined this season (granted they have had big injuries, but in Jones' career with us - when fit he almost always is picked to start, you'll rarely see him warming the bench).

Jones has a PL medal, has delivered great performances against big teams e.g. Real Madrid away in the CL knockout stages and is rated very highly by all his managers

Yet apparently Bailly is levels ahead of Jones for some unknown reason on here...

IMO our CB's (from best to worst) are:

Jones
Bailly
Smalling

Rojo
Lindelof

Last edited:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
This is becoming overstated - yes Jones has had injury problems but this season he's started to get over them

Smalling - 18
Lindelof - 10
Bailly - 8
Rojo - 7

I feel that people aren't giving Jones credit for the fact that he's been fit for most of our PL games, he has more appearances than Lindelof, Bailly and Rojo combined
Erm....10+8+7 = 25 > 20

ti vu

Smalling - 18
Lindelof - 10
Bailly - 8
Rojo - 7

I feel that people aren't giving Jones credit for the fact that he's been fit for most of our PL games, he has more appearances than Lindelof, Bailly and Rojo combined
What is with your last part of your post? All valid points until you show off your math skill with 20 > 10 + 8 +7 :wenger:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Smalling - 18
Lindelof - 10
Bailly - 8
Rojo - 7

I feel that people aren't giving Jones credit for the fact that he's been fit for most of our PL games, he has more appearances than Bailly and Rojo combined
Yeah, only flaw is that Jones hasn't played one minute in any other competition.