Gaming Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios (PS5, PC, Mac, Xbox Series X|S)

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Gameplay reveal tonight at 21:00 CET.

But if you wanna get spoiled some before, check this out...

Isometric turn-based game? I'm in!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Wow... Hopefully they'll make it with bit more serious tone than their Divinity series. These dialogue camera closeups look similar to Dragon Age: Origins and it's not a bad thing at all.

Not gonna demand a classic level of story and narration, but it could surpass Pillars of Eternity and it'll already be a serious achievement.

Nickosaur

I'll definitely give this a go, but i don't think i've ever played a turn-based RPG... not sure why but it doesn't really appeal to me. Balders Gate II wasn't turn-based was it?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Bg1 & 2 are two of my all time favourites. Looking forward to seeing what this is like.

Siorac

I'll definitely give this a go, but i don't think i've ever played a turn-based RPG... not sure why but it doesn't really appeal to me. Balders Gate II wasn't turn-based was it?
No, it was real time with pause but Larian's big successes came from turn-based. The best we can hope for is that BG3 will offer both options but I think it will be straight-up turn-based.

The screenshots look absolutely breathtaking but then D:OS2 had great graphics and yet I could not get myself to finish it, though I tried three different times.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Trying to figure out the interface, but that 2nd screenshot in combat is a less confusing. Only one of the avatar shots at the bottom left is in the top left of the screen? Is the bottom left your party and top left is the combat order?

mu4c_20le

Looks like a retextured divinity tbh. Are Obsidian involved in any way? I thought divinity looked really polished and was entertaining for a few days before I got bored of the lore.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Looks like a retextured divinity tbh. Are Obsidian involved in any way? I thought divinity looked really polished and was entertaining for a few days before I got bored of the lore.
The combat in Divinity is significantly better than any other RPG. Takes a little time to level up but by the time you finish the Prologue Island (funny given it's pretty damn long to do) you get the idea of what lies ahead. Brilliant game.

Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 had a much better world than Divinity though, a more interesting story with good villains, interesting npcs and serious storylines. BG2 in particular is in my top 5 games ever, loved that game.

Art Vandelay

Really looking forward to this, loved BG 1 and 2. Although I gave up on Divinity 2 after about 40 or 50 hours. I kept hitting quest bugs and having to reload, it got incredibly frustrating.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I watched about an hour of the live stream last night because I'm a total D&D nerd and Baldurs Gate is one of my all-time favorite games.

A few things concerned me - firstly it does look very similar to Divinity - not just in terms of graphics but more worryingly in terms of mechanics.

I don't want this to be a Divinity clone - I want this to be 100% D&D. I really didn't get into the lore of Divinity and found it all a bit soulless and boring (although the game was good) - I really hope they are capable of making this world really come alive with D&D lore and environments because I'm not sure they are.

Secondly - they are going with turn based combat - not necessarily a problem and it does represent the D&D experience but as a Baldur's Gate fan I was a little disappointed that it wasn't real-time with pause like the old games.

Having said that - I'm really interested to see how it develops and I'm still 100% going to buy it.

Siorac

It looks more like Divinity: Original Sin 3 than Baldur's Gate 3, honestly.

The dialogue options are weird: first-person past tense. "I asked her what her name was". Really fecking odd.

Siorac

If it is basically Divinity 3 in the Baldur's Gate world, then I'm all in
I was hoping for Baldur's Gate 3 in the Baldur's Gate world. I understand why Larian wanted to do BG III - it's a massive IP after all - but based on the initial impression, it would have been more... honest to just do the actual D:OS3.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It looks more like Divinity: Original Sin 3 than Baldur's Gate 3, honestly.

The dialogue options are weird: first-person past tense. "I asked her what her name was". Really fecking odd.
Just skimmed through the video and it looks like Divinity with added cut scenes.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I was hoping for Baldur's Gate 3 in the Baldur's Gate world. I understand why Larian wanted to do BG III - it's a massive IP after all - but based on the initial impression, it would have been more... honest to just do the actual D:OS3.
I get you, I can't say I ever expected that though. Divinity 2 was one of the best reviewed games of this generation. I think it was always going to be the case that they'd stick to what they know best and combine it with the big name of Baldur's Gate = profit.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I get you, I can't say I ever expected that though. Divinity 2 was one of the best reviewed games of this generation. I think it was always going to be the case that they'd stick to what they know best and combine it with the big name of Baldur's Gate = profit.
Aye and besides, the gaming industry has moved on since Baldurs Gate 2. Pillars of Eternity tried to recreate Baldurs Gate gameplay and it bombed pretty hard so I can understand them going with what they know works with Divinity gameplay (which i'm sure they've enhanced).

Massive Spanner

Aye and besides, the gaming industry has moved on since Baldurs Gate 2. Pillars of Eternity tried to recreate Baldurs Gate gameplay and it bombed pretty hard so I can understand them going with what they know works with Divinity gameplay (which i'm sure they've enhanced).
Didn't know that.

As an aside, I did really like PoE2.

Siorac

The feck? No it didn't bomb at all, let alone pretty hard. Its Metacritic average is 89 from critics, 8.3 in user scores. It won some awards and got nominated for a bunch more.

The second game had poor sales numbers, sure, though it still has mostly positive reviews.

But it tends to feel like I'm alone in the entire world who didn't think Divinity: Original Sin 2 was the best thing since sliced bread. At least BG3 will not have the armour system. That alone is a major positive.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The feck? No it didn't bomb at all, let alone pretty hard. Its Metacritic average is 89 from critics, 8.3 in user scores. It won some awards and got nominated for a bunch more.

The second game had poor sales numbers, sure, though it still has mostly positive reviews.

But it tends to feel like I'm alone in the entire world who didn't think Divinity: Original Sin 2 was the best thing since sliced bread.
The second game didn't sell well and the amount of people who actually completed the 1st game is very low in relation to the amount of sales. The second game in particular bombed hard and I am one of those who bought PoE 1, played it twice (I got about 3/4's of the way through) and stopped. I've completed BG2 about 10 times for what it's worth. The gameplay just felt so stale, Divinity for me was much better and enjoyable. Although I felt the initial prologue island was designed a bit badly in that it was simply too big, should have made it shorter so it's not as much of a bore to get through on several different play throughs.

Siorac

The second game didn't sell well and the amount of people who actually completed the 1st game is very low in relation to the amount of sales. The second game in particular bombed hard and I am one of those who bought PoE 1, played it twice (I got about 3/4's of the way through) and stopped. I've completed BG2 about 10 times for what it's worth.
Yeah, well, Baldur's Gate 2 is better than any of the modern CRPGs, including Original Sin. The gaming industry might have moved on but they've yet to make a game that is actually better than BG II in the genre. Which is why it's a bit disappointing that apparently they're not even trying anymore.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah, well, Baldur's Gate 2 is better than any of the modern CRPGs, including Original Sin. The gaming industry might have moved on but they've yet to make a game that is actually better than BG II in the genre. Which is why it's a bit disappointing that apparently they're not even trying anymore.
I think I preferred Original Sin 2 to BG2 in gameplay terms. It was more tactical with some really interesting epic moments. It's just the story and universe was pretty meh in comparison to BG2.

Also really loved the first Dragon Age game. Those three are easily my top 3 RPGs.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
All this is making me want to do is play BG 2 - I played it all the way through again about 10 years ago and still absolutely loved it. I might do it all over again.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
All this is making me want to do is play BG 2 - I played it all the way through again about 10 years ago and still absolutely loved it. I might do it all over again.
I went through all of them including IceWind Dale series a few years back. Was pretty enjoyable. But nothing can beat that damn space hamster.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think I preferred Original Sin 2 to BG2 in gameplay terms. It was more tactical with some really interesting epic moments. It's just the story and universe was pretty meh in comparison to BG2.

Also really loved the first Dragon Age game. Those three are easily my top 3 RPGs.
This is the most important part of the game for me - if the story and world is not great then the game can never be truly great. I'm concerned that so far Larian have been unable to make a game with a real atmosphere and engrossing story/world. They really need to step it up although with the D&D license they should have tons of great stuff to draw from.

Siorac

What I really didn't like about Original Sin 2 is how much you can get bogged down in absolutely trivial encounters because of the turn-based system. Like a group of goblins take one Fireball and roughly two seconds in the BG games - the same type of encounter can take you 10+ minutes in Divinity because you have to wait all. their. fecking. turns.

Then again, I loved Fallout 1 and 2 with their turn-based systems but of course there you're not controlling a party of 4 or 6 so it goes a lot faster.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
This is the most important part of the game for me - if the story and world is not great then the game can never be truly great. I'm concerned that so far Larian have been unable to make a game with a real atmosphere and engrossing story/world. They really need to step it up although with the D&D license they should have tons of great stuff to draw from.
Well, i'd say the advantage Baldurs Gate has is that they already have 2 games of lore to build on. But I do agree that so far it's been their weakness. They need a generally good villain.

What I really didn't like about Original Sin 2 is how much you can get bogged down in absolutely trivial encounters because of the turn-based system. Like a group of goblins take one Fireball and roughly two seconds in the BG games - the same type of encounter can take you 10+ minutes in Divinity because you have to wait all. their. fecking. turns.

Then again, I loved Fallout 1 and 2 with their turn-based systems but of course there you're not controlling a party of 4 or 6 so it goes a lot faster.
To be fair, i'd agree with that. At times it does feel a little grindy.

Siorac

At any rate, I hope they'll at least change the font on the UI before release. It REALLY seals that whole "Divinity: Original Sin 3" look.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'll be staggered if the UI isn't almost completely redone. Tends to be fairly low on the list of features, they'll want to push early access to get the hype up.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Another thing I picked up whilst watching the live stream was that they still have playable characters that have 'story' - I just don't like that concept and didn't make use of it in Divinity - I want to create my own character with my own story and I've no interest in playing somebody else's.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Another thing I picked up whilst watching the live stream was that they still have playable characters that have 'story' - I just don't like that concept and didn't make use of it in Divinity - I want to create my own character with my own story and I've no interest in playing somebody else's.
Worked well in Dragons Age though. Some of the better storylines in the 1st game was based around the playable companions. Some of these features might also change based off player reaction in early access. That is one of the few benefits of early access (assuming the Devs are good).

Massive Spanner

I actually thought the complete opposite :lol:

I liked how pretty much every fight in Divinity 2 required a different tactical approach. I never felt like there were enemies there purely for the sake of it. Every encounter felt like a challenge that required a few attempts to get right. I do get what you mean about waiting for massive groups of enemies to take their turn, though. They really should've had a 2x game speed mode for that, or something.

Siorac

I actually thought the complete opposite :lol:

I liked how pretty much every fight in Divinity 2 required a different tactical approach. I never felt like there were enemies there purely for the sake of it. Every encounter felt like a challenge that required a few attempts to get right. I do get what you mean about waiting for massive groups of enemies to take their turn, though. They really should've had a 2x game speed mode for that, or something.
I kinda enjoy, in RPGs, when some fights can be simply facerolled. It makes the character feel powerful - that may or may not make sense, depending on the story, but in Baldur's Gate, it definitely did: after all, you're not some random adventurer, you're literally the spawn of a god. Getting rid of some pesky goblins shouldn't take a fecking hour and careful planning of crowd control.

Oh yeah, spoiler. But seriously, if that is a spoiler for you at this point then what are you even doing in this thread.

Siorac

I agree but that feature is easy to ignore. I'll just create my own character.

My fear is that, much like in Original Sin 2, the available companions will be those "origin characters" whom you didn't pick. I much prefer picking up companions from all over the world, for various reasons, not just because their main motivation is the same as mine (in this case, getting rid of the parasite in their head).

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
If the player character actually goes all the way through ceremorphosis and becomes Illithid, and the game lets you continue to play like one, it'll be the incline of all inclines.