Bale or Cavani, which is the better deal?

Wilt

Bale to Tottenham, Cavani to Utd, two high profile expensive signings.

Calculated or otherwise, it would be fair to say both clubs have taken a risk/gamble.

So, at this point in time, which football club do you think has made the better signing?

Last edited:

klsv

I would prefer to wait until they both have touched the ball for a few times for their clubs, but I suppose Bale is a better deal currently because it's not who we got.

GlasgowCeltic

Likely neither will do much but Spurs needed the statement of intent and it seems to have already had an effect. Over the season I think Cavani will be better though

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I would prefer to wait until they both have touched the ball for a few times for their clubs
Exactly this. We can't possibly now till either have kicked a ball.

Cheekiey

Cavani will surprise a few people as everyone is already writing him off, I reckon he is a lot fitter than everyone thinks. Bale has a lot to live up t, I think cavani will be the one who has more goals and probably more assists

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
High ceiling + always injured

Lower ceiling + more rarely injured

Depends what you prefer.

TheLord

Anyone who saw Cavani last season knows that he was on his last legs - his pace is long gone. Bale has lots of injury issues as well but is still a solid player when fit.
More importantly, Cavani was a panic buy, Bale's transfer was more calculated.

Both are risky acquisitions, but Bale's transfer makes more sense to me.

Wilt

Exactly this. We can't possibly now till either have kicked a ball.
Yes nobody really knows including Spurs and Utd. That’s why I said “At this point in time“

Both clubs have taken a gamble and people will take a view.

MUFC OK

Likely neither will do much but Spurs needed the statement of intent and it seems to have already had an effect. Over the season I think Cavani will be better though
This signing has lifted their club, they're riding the wave and he hasnt kicked a ball yet. I think both will be decent signings but I like Cavani because we don't have a ruthless finisher (greenwood aside) and players will learn from his professionalism and experience.

SATA

It's hardly a gamble isn’t it? Bale is on loan while Cavani is a free transfer although they will come with huge wages

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Both are good “names” to bring in but actually think both will likely flop especially as both have barely played in the last year and suspect both are on the downgrade now.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
How did Bale even manage to get injured?

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Yes nobody really knows including Spurs and Utd. That’s why I said “At this point in time“

Both clubs have taken a gamble and people will take a view.
At this point in time, Bale is by far the better deal.

Bale will fight for his spot against Lucas Moura, and it isn't hard to believe that he can win that battle and perform good for tottenham, they lacked depth there so he makes Tottenham better.

Cavani comes to play in a spot that should remain unclaimed by Martial in a squad that already has Ighalo and Greenwood as options for the 9 spot, he makes the squad marginally better.

Even if both players end up playing great, Bale tightens up the RW and doesn't create a problem for the Spurs neither does he displace some young talent to another position, if Cavani ends up being world class and he moves Martial to the wing, you're hurting Martial's performances and future, if they end up playing together on a 442 United still have the problem of lacking a right winger.

Both deals are risky bets, but Tottenham have a lot more to win on their end, if both deals are bad, they will be equally bad.

Zlatanator

Bale looks happy and if spurs continue their streak, he would be itching to come back to full fitness. But it is too early to make a prediction. Cavani looks like a hard-working professional but I don't think he will be integrated straight away into the team.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
A wee bit premature to tell? Going by potential impact and reputation, it is Bale. But he could spend most of his time injured or Cavani could spend most of the time on the bench.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
At this point in time, Bale is by far the better deal.

Bale will fight for his spot against Lucas Moura, and it isn't hard to believe that he can win that battle and perform good for tottenham, they lacked depth there so he makes Tottenham better.

Cavani comes to play in a spot that should remain unclaimed by Martial in a squad that already has Ighalo and Greenwood as options for the 9 spot, he makes the squad marginally better.

Even if both players end up playing great, Bale tightens up the RW and doesn't create a problem for the Spurs neither does he displace some young talent to another position, if Cavani ends up being world class and he moves Martial to the wing, you're hurting Martial's performances and future, if they end up playing together on a 442 United still have the problem of lacking a right winger.

Both deals are risky bets, but Tottenham have a lot more to win on their end, if both deals are bad, they will be equally bad.
So in your scenario, there's literally no way the Cavani deal could prove to be better value? That's a weird stance to take, though I agree with your overall point - Spurs' need and the potential upside to Bale gives them a massive advantage.

starman

Depends who stays healthest the longest.

Bale already knows the league and is brought in as a instant first team player, so in that regard Bale, plus we could have done with him as well. That said he's already injured...

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The irony is United have a bigger gap for a fit Bale and Spurs have a bigger gap for a fit Cavani. United needed a right winger all summer, Spurs needed another centre forward.

iKnowNothing

Some of the responses are pretty poor in my opinion. The OP wants to discuss which signing of the two does Caf think will be better - responding to this saying time will tell etc etc is a bit like saying we’ll know the lottery winning numbers once the results are announced.
The thread, in my opinion, is aimed at getting others opinion before either Bale or Cavani have played some games in the season. As the season goes on, we can all look back and see who’s understanding of the situation was accurate and for what reasons.

Back on topic.. both Bale and Cavani are coming to the PL on the back of poor seasons (for reasons we know already) for their respective clubs. Both are seemingly injury prone and aren’t as good as they once were.
I think of the two, all things considered, Bale can have a slightly better season. Cavani may score a few goals for United, which will help the team, but from a sheer impact point of view, Bale will turn out to be a shrewd bit of business.

RashyForPM

Bale because it wasn’t us who bought him, am I right?

In all seriousness, Cavani.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
So in your scenario, there's literally no way the Cavani deal could prove to be better value? That's a weird stance to take, though I agree with your overall point - Spurs' need and the potential upside to Bale gives them a massive advantage.
Of course he can, I was comparing best case escenarios. There's a good chance Cavani scores 15 goals as a sub while Bale only generates problems in his team.

If Cavani ends up scoring 20 goals this year, or even 30, he will be helping the club and can be extended for another year (an option that Tottenham don't have, right?). What I mean is that he can't turn out to be a perfect signing, because he isn't supposed to be the starting 9 of United, if things go right, that spot is for Martial, younger and potentially better than what a 34 or 35 y/o Cavani could offer. If Cavani turn 10 years back in time this season, it will cost Martial, a player that should be United's future, gaming time and spotlight.

But if Bale goes back to his better level, Tottenham will lose what, a season of Lucas Moura and would leave next year being 29? That's not a great deal, and Moura leaving would be debatable, since if Bale performs like that he will be back at Real Madrid and Moura will become the first option right away.

Wilt

Some of the responses are pretty poor in my opinion. The OP wants to discuss which signing of the two does Caf think will be better - responding to this saying time will tell etc etc is a bit like saying we’ll know the lottery winning numbers once the results are announced.
The thread, in my opinion, is aimed at getting others opinion before either Bale or Cavani have played some games in the season. As the season goes on, we can all look back and see who’s understanding of the situation was accurate and for what reasons.
Exactly this.

Thank you friend, pleased to see some people get it :)

James Peril

It’s a bit strange to call this when Bale is younger, has obviously been amongst the best in the world at one point and he has tons of experience in the Premier League. Cavani is older and has never played in the Premier League, there is no guarantee with him. Has played the last seasons in a significiantly weaker league against pub teams relative to PSG. Before he rose to the top a few years ago, he was actually ridiculed a lot for missing a lot of chances. Lots of YouTube-videos and memes going about, there was this one match where he missed like eight sitters. Not playing down his highest level 3 years back, I think he was a heavenly player - but not anymore though. When you’re replaced by Choupo-Moting, it kind of sends a message.

Perhaps the word you’re looking for is «hope» rather than «think».

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Bale's wages are higher but they probably didn't have to pay as much to his agent. He is still a terrific player I'm sure but I just don't see him being fit this season.

Our guy is probably not as good as Bale bit I suspect he'll play a lot more games for us than Bale will for Spurs.

In terms of need I think we need someone for Bale's position and arguably Spurs needed someone for Cavani's position but I suppose that depends on the relative impacts of Vinicius and Pellistri to some extent.

Much of a muchness but you'd have to think whoever is fit more will likely be the better deal.

EireRed_GS

give it a month or two when both are fit and playing regular enough and we'll know then. Both could go either way really

Goku23

Time will tell Cavani will be really good for us if we can get the ball through to him

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Bale had an injury from the last Wales game I think