Ballon D’or 2019: who will win it? (Alleged leak: Messi 1, Van Dijk 2, Salah 3).

Sjaakmeoff

I'm not sure what would have been a better scenario - Liverpool fans banging on about how one of their players won it or, as we'll probably get now, an endless stream of Liverpool fans starting petitions about the result.

hahaha..not a Liverpool fan, but being from Holland i can say very few people from Holland thought VVD would win it.
As long as Messi is active, he should win it.

Bulldog United

I'm not sure what would have been a better scenario - Liverpool fans banging on about how one of their players won it or, as we'll probably get now, an endless stream of Liverpool fans starting petitions about the result.
Unlikely this year now they are looking certain to win the Premier League. I doubt even their lot really cares very much if VVD was robbed of the Ballon D'or. He wasn't robbed anyway, the best player won - there's no doubt about that.

Bulldog United

hahaha..not a Liverpool fan, but being from Holland i can say very few people from Holland thought VVD would win it.
As long as Messi is active, he should win it.
Exactly very hard for any defender to win it when players like Messi are still around working their magic. VVD had a good season, but he's not on the same planet as Leo.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Completely deserved, Messi was best player in the world last year. Although, by same metric. It doesn't justify Modric winning it over Ronaldo last year. They should be level on 6 each.

MrEleson

I can understand Messi winning but this more emphasises the fact that Ronaldo should have won it last year.

Mr Smith

This ballon d’or is a complete joke now, Messi wasn’t the best player and if I remember the player who should win neutralized him in the CL to win at the end.
You just outed yourself as having not watched or paid attention to that match at all...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Ronaldo on 3rd. That's just silly. Messi winning is fine I guess, bit boring. Give it Dusan Tadic, would be a rigjt laugh.

Sjaakmeoff

Two kind of people.

1. People who want the best player of the best performing team to win it. (VVD)
2. People who want the best player to win it. (Messi)

wr8_utd

:'(
Justice served and the most deserving player wins it.
Still utterly and absolutely hilarious how far the Cristiano PR7 team can get him that he actually somehow managed to finish ahead of the likes of Mane, Salah, Sterling and Bernardo.

KeanoMagicHat

People talking about Modric last year, there was a World Cup last year, this year there isn't. World Cup > Champions League most times. Modric won Golden Ball and Croatia made the World Cup final for the first time in their history. He also won the Champions League. No need to rewrite history.

Well deserved for Messi but you do have to wonder what a defender has to do to win it if not Van Dijk this year. Just hard to compare positions.

Champagne Football

Did VVD have a better season than Beckham when Utd won the treble? Absolutely no way, but Zidane still beat Beckham that year, despite an average season by his standards, simply because he was 3 times the player Beckham was. So Messi winning is the correct choice.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Did VVD have a better season than Beckham when Utd won the treble? Absolutely no way, but Zidane still beat Beckham that year, despite an average season by his standards, simply because he was 3 times the player Beckham was. So Messi winning is the correct choice.
You're assuming that there's any consistent logic to the award

Matt007a

No arguments with the top 2 for me. I can’t tell if some people here are really bitter or just clueless about what they’re watching.

Blaming Messi for the 4-0 loss when he literally won them the first leg and put it on a plate for his team mates multiple times. It’s like blaming Salah for the fact that Barca won the first leg 3-0. Utter nonsense!

Messi and Ronaldo have ruined our perception of a great season. If any other player put up 50 goals and assists from midfield we’d call it the greatest single season in history. No one else scores or assists anywhere close to his numbers despite the odd notion some people have that La Liga is a tinpot league. Why don’t Suarez, Diego Costa or Bale score and assist 50 when they dominated defenders in our supposedly superior league?

Paul_Scholes18

What is KDB doing on the list? He has been injured so bloody much. Kane is not on the list who also had injuries. Aubameyang on the list for some reason even if Arsenal haven't done much.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Ronaldo might as well attended the ceremony considering the third place is some achievement after season he's had in comparision with other players.

Champagne Football

You're assuming that there's any consistent logic to the award
I'm stating that a defender winning the champions league, on the back of a solid season, should not be enough to win a Ballon D'Or, especially with Messi and Ronaldo around.
But if a central defender wins a champions league on his own, scores worldie's all season and in the semis and final too, while being heroic in defending, then that could be enough

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Completely deserved, Messi was best player in the world last year. Although, by same metric. It doesn't justify Modric winning it over Ronaldo last year. They should be level on 6 each.
I can understand Messi winning but this more emphasises the fact that Ronaldo should have won it last year.
Completely agree! Both should be on 6 right now. Well actually there's that year that Kaka won it over Ronaldo iirc that wasn't well deserved but well!

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Can't believe Dusan fecking Tadic was a nominee. His form at Ajax has been unbelievable.

Cait Sith

VVD finishing 2nd flatters him already. Yeah, Liverpool won the CL, just like 2005. Didn't make Carragher a Ballon d'Or contender. Not even Xabi Alonso made it into the top 10 that year. Only Gerrard did from Liverpool and he finished 3rd despite being more important to them than VVD now.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Completely agree! Both should be on 6 right now. Well actually there's that year that Kaka won it over Ronaldo iirc that wasn't well deserved but well!
Eh ? Kakas balon dor was fully deserved.

Red Keane

While it is true that Messi had the best season in terms of goals (Both in Domestic and European Football) and is without a doubt still one of the 2 best players in world football, I don't see why Messi deserves to win it over VVD. Especially when while Messi won Laliga with a side that is clearly more talented than Liverpool on paper (in reality though, its a very different story), VVD dragged a side that featured Mingolet, Moreno, Lovern, Matip, Cylne, Henderson, Lallana, Sturridge & Origi into a CL title (a CL Final apparance before that) as well as being a stupid Lovern mistake away from winning the PL while a Messi-led Barcelona bottled it in the both the CL Semi-Finals and the Copa Del Rey Final (despite pretty much dominating the competition for the last 5 years or so).

So while Messi is clearly the better player than VVD, Van Dijk has clearly had the bigger impact in terms of contributing to his teams success as the last 2 seasons have shown. Certainly Liverpool would not be doing as well as they have done recently had they stuck to a Lovern-Matip CB partnership...

Red Keane

VVD isn't even Liverpool's best player.
That might be true, but he is their most important player. Especially when it is a proven fact that every great team in club football needs to have a great defence behind it, something that it pretty hard to come by these days...

adexkola

Supports
I'm stating that a defender winning the champions league, on the back of a solid season, should not be enough to win a Ballon D'Or, especially with Messi and Ronaldo around.
But if a central defender wins a champions league on his own, scores worldie's all season and in the semis and final too, while being heroic in defending, then that could be enough
Why should he have to score? Would conceding zero goals be enough?

adexkola

Supports
While it is true that Messi had the best season in terms of goals (Both in Domestic and European Football) and is without a doubt still one of the 2 best players in world football, I don't see why Messi deserves to win it over VVD. Especially when while Messi won Laliga with a side that is clearly more talented than Liverpool on paper (in reality though, its a very different story), VVD dragged a side that featured Mingolet, Moreno, Lovern, Matip, Cylne, Henderson, Lallana, Sturridge & Origi into a CL title (a CL Final apparance before that) as well as being a stupid Lovern mistake away from winning the PL while a Messi-led Barcelona bottled it in the both the CL Semi-Finals and the Copa Del Rey Final (despite pretty much dominating the competition for the last 5 years or so).

So while Messi is clearly the better player than VVD, Van Dijk has clearly had the bigger impact in terms of contributing to his teams success as the last 2 seasons have shown. Certainly Liverpool would not be doing as well as they have done recently had they stuck to a Lovern-Matip CB partnership...
He did not do that.

Why do people make stuff up, as if the rest of us won't notice?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't know what's worse - this forum being taken over by Liverpool fans, or sad Ronaldo United fans who are supporting with their whole heart fecking Liverpool players to win Ballon d'or just so Messi won't win it.

Andy_Cole

Err nope.