Ballon D’or 2019: who will win it? (Alleged leak: Messi 1, Van Dijk 2, Salah 3).

koop

People who think VVD deserve it over Messi. :lol: :houllier: :houllier: :houllier: :houllier: :houllier: :houllier:

Classical Mechanic

Why don't they just change the description to best player between January and June? It's quite obvious the months after don't count. What the feck is De Ligt doing in the top 10? He's been wank for Juventus. Also, Lewandowski should be in the top 10 over most of them.
This was pretty comical from MDL and Buffon yesterday

MrVolley

Messi should have been awarded the last 10 Ballon D'Ors.
It's an individual award and so to award anybody else the award is ridiculous.

Moiraine

Juan Mata seems to be overwhelming favorite.

on w serious note, I don’t care who wins it.
Feels like loosing love for my favorite sport at the moment.

KekiZeki

As long as it doesn't go to Liverpool players, but I don't think Messi deserved it in all honesty. He bombed at Anfield massively.

Paul_Scholes18

Mainly a champions league performance award it seems. Messi has clearly been the best this year. No Spurs or Cty players around which might be strange if based on CL or the league.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Buffon getting found out? You love to see it. So overrated it's not even funny.
I think you're doing alright as a footballer if you're getting "found out" in your 40s after christ knows how many winner's medals :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Buffon has been shit for years now

izec

If Messi wins, Liverpool fans and Ronaldo fanboys will be pissed off, that is nice, at least for me

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I think you're doing alright as a footballer if you're getting "found out" in your 40s after christ knows how many winner's medals :lol:
I know what you mean but for me he's been diabolical for god knows how many years now. Just gets by on his name these days. The fact he's still starting at games at Juventus is staggering.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It's primerily a marketing award, which is why Messi will likely win it. He's not done anything special this year and frankly embarrassing losses in the CL and copa America...

Has to be player from City, Liverpool and / or Brazil squad for me. They've won the big trophies in last 12 months.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This was pretty comical from MDL and Buffon yesterday

He is improving though, he actually used his feet to clear the ball this time. As for Buffon, if he keeps this up he might even end up outside of the top 10 for the golden glove this year.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
As long as it doesn't go to Liverpool players, but I don't think Messi deserved it in all honesty. He bombed at Anfield massively.
VVD bombed A LOT worse at the Camp Nou. The reason that tie was even close in the first place was because of Messi and MATS. VVD had the team mates to bail him out, Messi didn't.

While VVD winning it won't exactly be outrageous I can't subscribe to the notion Messi doesn't deserve it, 52 goals and 23 assists, give those stats to anyone else bar him or CR7 and no one would dispute them winning it.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
VVD bombed A LOT worse at the Camp Nou. The reason that tie was even close in the first place was because of Messi and MATS. VVD had the team mates to bail him out, Messi didn't.

While VVD winning it won't exactly be outrageous I can't subscribe to the notion Messi doesn't deserve it, 52 goals and 23 assists, give those stats to anyone else bar him or CR7 and no one would dispute them winning it.
Because he's won it a gazillion times and we're used to his greatness. But he's very obviously the best player in the world, if you're going to have stupid individual trophies in football, then of course he deserves it.

KekiZeki

Yeah well, he fecked up when it counted the most. I never said it should go to van Dijk, but hell, Messi getting it feels like rewarding failure. I don't really care about La Liga, if you're Barca or Real there you'll always hit high numbers.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah well, he fecked up when it counted the most. I never said it should go to van Dijk, but hell, Messi getting it feels like rewarding failure. I don't really care about La Liga, if you're Barca or Real there you'll always hit high numbers.
He had his team 3-0 up in a semi final. In the last min of that match he puts a fresh dembele clean through for an easy tap in. He missed.
Messi cant defend create and score by himself.
Its ludicrous to pin the capitulation on him.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
:lol:

"Messi doesn't deserve it because I don't really care about that Spanish league he's playing in". And please, do tell me which other players "always hit high numbers" like Messi does? 50+ goals in 2019.

It's an individual award and should go to the best individual player, which was once again Messi in 2019.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
:lol:

"Messi doesn't deserve it because I don't really care about that Spanish league he's playing in". And please, do tell me which other players "always hit high numbers" like Messi does? 50+ goals in 2019.

It's an individual award and should go to the best individual player, which was once again Messi in 2019.
Madness isnt it. This is the definition of victim of his own success.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
But he didn't, his defense did. Liverpool are a much better team than Barca and he (and Ter Stegan) were the only reasons it was even a contest over two legs. Does the award really come down to a quick corner neither player were involved in?

Saying he ultimately failed would be like saying Van Persie was a failure in 2011/2012 because Arsenal didn't win the league.

KekiZeki

But he didn't, his defense did. Liverpool are a much better team than Barca and he (and Ter Stegan) were the only reasons it was even a contest over two legs. Does the award really come down to a quick corner neither player were involved in?

Saying he ultimately failed would be like saying Van Persie was a failure in 2011/2012 because Arsenal didn't win the league.

Not getting one goal in when Liverpool had to think attack more than defense is a failure. And don't try to compare Arsenal teams with this Barca side, they have top players, Arsenal only had van Persie. You can blame defenders from Barca, and they are to blame, but you can't ignore a failure to score a goal that would settle it either. Attackers are suppose to get at least one goal a game. Don't excuse it. Because of him and his failure Liverpool have doubled their lead in European cup trophies, this is a grudge I will hold against Messi and the entire Barca team. I'll forgive him if he joins us.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
VVD wasn’t that amazing in CL, liverpool
Conceded a fair bit in the group stage.

messi was the best player in CL, mane was as good as VVD in cl
Err... VVD won the UEFA men's player the year award, so officially he was the best player in CL.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
You can make a case for either. Irrespective of their differing roles and positions, both have been hugely and singularly influential on their team's fortunes. Barcelona have come to rely increasingly on Messi while Van Dijk has had a transformative impact on Liverpool. That influence, combined with winning the Champions League, and near complete domination in the league, makes Van Dijk my own choice.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Not getting one goal in when Liverpool had to think attack more than defense is a failure. And don't try to compare Arsenal teams with this Barca side, they have top players, Arsenal only had van Persie. You can blame defenders from Barca, and they are to blame, but you can't ignore a failure to score a goal that would settle it either. Attackers are suppose to get at least one goal a game. Don't excuse it. Because of him and his failure Liverpool have doubled their lead in European cup trophies, this is a grudge I will hold against Messi and the entire Barca team. I'll forgive him if he joins us.
No, Barca scored 3 goals in the tie, the attack did their job. The defense are much more to blame. If you tell your defense all they have to do is not concede 4 goals to advance then it’s definitely the defense‘s fault.

messi created every single chance Barca had in that second leg, the defense was out to sleep.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Attackers are suppose to get at least one goal a game. Don't excuse it.
Lewandowski has a career mark of 0.68 goals per game. Aguero 0.58 per game, Suarez 0.67 a game, even Ronaldo is "only" at 0.74 goals per game. Attackers are not supposed to score at a ratio of 1 goal per 1 game because that would make you one of the best players of all time. Oh and Messi's goal per game ratio is actually 0.88.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
You can make a case for either. Irrespective of their differing roles and positions, both have been hugely and singularly influential on their team's fortunes. Barcelona have come to rely increasingly on Messi while Van Dijk has had a transformative impact on Liverpool. That influence, combined with winning the Champions League, and near complete domination in the league, makes Van Dijk my own choice.
van dijk has far better defenders around him than Messi does attackers. One of Barca’s top 3 scorers in UCL in recent years have been own goal which says it all.

remove VVD from liverpool right now and then remove Messi from Barca and Liverpool would wipe the floor with Barca. Messi means more to Barca than VVD to Liverpool.
I agree VVD has been tremendous for changing Liverpool into a superb defensive team, but Barca without Messi are a far worse team than Liverpool without VVD

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I never watch La Liga anymore, but Messi is the best footballer I’ve ever witnessed and his numbers tell me that he hasn’t slowed down. So when he wins it, I’ll find it hard to argue with. Van Dijk’s been monumental, but Messi is in a class of his own.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Van Dijk would be a deserving winner and it would be nice to see a defender get it for more than a world Cup run.

97 points and a CL aside, Messi put in another run-of-the-mill season cementing his stature as the GOAT, and on individual merit no centreback can compete with that kind of attacking brilliance. Messi is simple better.

Whoever of the two get it, both are deserving. Should be Messi though.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
It's primerily a marketing award, which is why Messi will likely win it. He's not done anything special this year and frankly embarrassing losses in the CL and copa America...

Has to be player from City, Liverpool and / or Brazil squad for me. They've won the big trophies in last 12 months.
how ridiculous, 50+ goals and 25+ assists is nothing?

losing to Brazil is embarrassing? I mean seriously?

there was no better player than messi this past season. Hell, literally all the Liverpool players like VVD himself, mane and salah all feel messi deserves it which says it all really

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Messi deserves it this year but if Luka Modric won it last year then anything is possible I would not be surprised if VVD wins it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He didn't. He created some very good chances despite a woeful team performance.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

there was no better player than messi this past season. Hell, literally all the Liverpool players like VVD himself, mane and salah all feel messi deserves it which says it all really
It's easier to judge forwards because they have more "tangible" stats, goals and assists. Messi did absolutely nothing in the two key semi finals this year or the Copa del rey final. Lost all of them.

I know almost no one else is going to give any respect to any players who aren't forwards. For these awards, it's all about marketing and kids who like football want the goal scorers winning all the time. So the money men give the people what they want and sell more stuff with Messi's face on it...

I'd like to see the other 10 players on the pitch get some respect though, what is the point of football anyway, winning the big trophies surely? Not just racking goals up against La liga teams where goal difference doesn't matter, so they just give up after going a few goals down.

Personally like to see real "football" awards given to guys like Busquets, who runs the midfield and without whom there's no platform to attack. Plenty of other examples of unsung non forward players in winning teams who just don't get appreciated properly.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Thing is, in the last 15-20 years, the only player that has played a season better than this past one from Messi is Messi himself. At this point suggesting he's not the best player in the world is just riduculous. But then again, this award was never a prize for the best player around but for the best one of the most successful team.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
It's easier to judge forwards because they have more "tangible" stats, goals and assists. Messi did absolutely nothing in the two key semi finals this year or the Copa del rey final. Lost all of them.

I know almost no one else is going to give any respect to any players who aren't forwards. For these awards, it's all about marketing and kids who like football want the goal scorers winning all the time. So the money men give the people what they want and sell more stuff with Messi's face on it...

I'd like to see the other 10 players on the pitch get some respect though, what is the point of football anyway, winning the big trophies surely? Not just racking goals up against La liga teams where goal difference doesn't matter, so they just give up after going a few goals down.

Personally like to see real "football" awards given to guys like Busquets, who runs the midfield and without whom there's no platform to attack. Plenty of other examples of unsung non forward players in winning teams who just don't get appreciated properly.
Not like he scored 2 goals in one of those semifinals and created a few other excellent goal-scoring opportunities, no.

The time to give Busquets an individual award has passed by the way, he was quite dreadful last season.