Ballon D’or 2019: who will win it? (Alleged leak: Messi 1, Van Dijk 2, Salah 3).

Schneckerl

He’s been the best player in the world this year and has now reached the CL finals for the 2nd consecutive season...his body of work speaks for itself.
Imagine being that much of a Messi hater that you bandwagon a Liverpool defender on an United fanboard :lol:
VVD might very well win it, but he has not been the best player in the world.

Laugh all you won’t but doesn’t change that he’s been virtually invincible.
Wasn't he partially blamed for the first two goals at Nou Camp?

CaptainAvengers

Ronaldo is out of the race, let's be clear.. he plays in a tinpoint league where his form is 1 goal every 2 games.. he struggled to win it at his best (a goal per game) and his best days are long gone *in my best Lancanshire Bronn voice from Game of Thrones last episode to Sir Jamie*

Man United fans might not be happy.. but what about Little Mo Salah if Liverpool win the CL?

SharpshooterTom

Messi fanboys aplenty in this thread.

It think Messi has been the best player and is likely to win it. But his fanboys should realise that if it becomes a numbers game for how many goals you score, no one else will win it other than a striker/forward.

VVD is never going to score 50 goals a season, so if Liverpool win the CL, there's a case to be made for him.

If Argentina win Copa America then Messi will do it for sure. Ronaldo's not in the run in by any stretch of the imagination.

AshRK

Mane based on this season deserves more than salah but the media hype would say otherwise. I would say VVD will win it, whether he truly deserves or not is another matter. I always like dutch players so I won't mind VVD winning but its sad he plays for liverpool.

youmeletsfly

I'm surprised that nobody is shouting for Mane. They guy's been unreal for the whole season. May he score 2 or 3 against Spurs in the final and the BDO is his.

I'd say it would be a very tight race between Messi, VVD and Mane.
Even if Leo played well for 80% of the season, he kinda went missing when it counted and that might influence some to vote for others.

IFC 1905

I think if Messi wins the Copa America he's got it. The negative impact generated now will be diminished by the positive impact if he wins something with his NT

But this is very, very, very unlikely to happen cause Argentina is a disaster, worse than Barcelona.

Matt007a

Messi is still head and shoulders above the rest, but as we know winning the CL for some reason counts more than your form for an entire 50+ game season.

If Liverpool win it then it could well go to VVD as he's probably already in the top 10 without winning the CL.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Laugh all you won’t but doesn’t change that he’s been virtually invincible.

He just pocketed the other possible contender in 3 out of 4 half’s of football and advanced further in said competition.

...I’d say it’s as much about VVD being great as it also is there not being any threatening/clear cut contenders out there which makes him winning it very possible. Very good scenario for him to be in.

Bingo

EDIT:
I’m out of posts for today (newbie) so won’t be able to respond till tomorrow
VVD was hardly on Messi in that two legged tie (mostly Fabinho) and it’s hilarious that you don’t think Messi is the clear cut contender. He is still the heavy favourite. Messi was also miles ahead of anyone else in CL this year as well as domestically

gaucho_10

Salah if they win CL and he performs well with a goal in the final.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Imagine being that much of a Messi hater that you bandwagon a Liverpool defender on an United fanboard :lol:
VVD might very well win it, but he has not been the best player in the world.

Wasn't he partially blamed for the first two goals at Nou Camp?
Exactly, Ole is drunk at the wheel with these posts

Canagel

VVD is being overrated. Liverpool will have still been crap without buying a new GK. The whole defense was solid. Is he even the clear best player of his team this year?

Btw the award isn't for best player of the winning team but after modric fiasco last year the precedent has been set.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I'm surprised that nobody is shouting for Mane. They guy's been unreal for the whole season. May he score 2 or 3 against Spurs in the final and the BDO is his.

I'd say it would be a very tight race between Messi, VVD and Mane.
Even if Leo played well for 80% of the season, he kinda went missing when it counted and that might influence some to vote for others.
One game where he was still the best player for Barca. He is comfortably far ahead of anyone else this CL campaign

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
People seem to underestimate the importance of a CL win in these votes. Messi is 20 times as good as VVD, but if Pool win the CL you can bet yer bum VVD will finish above him.

People are mistaking this prize with something rational. Did everyone miss Modric winning it?

Halal Jalal

Paul Pogba 3rd place - his form during Ole's early reign was ubelievable, and per 90 he's the fourth most decisive player in the world despite our poor season. There's a stat in performance thread that proves it.
2nd and 1st - between VVD and Messi, if Liverpool win CL then it's most likely going to be VVD. Possibly Salah if he turns up in the final with two goals or something.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I wouldn't even say that Salah is the best Liverpool attacker this season, let alone a potential Ballon d'Or winner. Still prolific, but.
Messi will win it.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Should be Messi if it's just the best player in the world in 2019, but like we saw last year, it's not.

Could be Van Dijk if Liverpool wins the CL and the Netherlands do something useful in the Nations League. I can't see a Spurs player winning it if they win the CL, they've had too mediocre a league campaign.

Could be Salah or Mane if Egypt or Senegal go far in the AFCON, and/or if he contributes heavily to a Champions League win.

Can't really see any other players in with a shout so far. Juve didn't have a great season for their standards, neither did PSG or Bayern. That leaves us with City who don't have a clear standout player, or Barcelona who once again threw away a comfortable CL position.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Van Dijk probably has a better chance now that it's been back to the old format of only journalists voting for the past 2 or 3 years. If it was still merged with the FIFA award and national team captains and mangers, as well as members of the public now having a say in that too I couldn't see it.

Wouldn't be too sure that he'd be a big enough name worldwide to win it in that other format.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
It's going to be Messi.
Not really comparable to last season at all tbh. First of all there's no world cup which is still seen as on a different level to anything else. Also Messi didn't really "do" a lot in both the world cup and the latter stages of the CL last season (in terms of scoring or winning). This season he reached the semis in the cl as top scorer (by far) and scored in all three knockout rounds.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Salah has not even been Liverpool's best player this season. That is between VVD and Mane, but there are no real standouts for them, which is I don't think their player will win it even if they do win the CL.

I'd say Messi.

Davicho

Messi. He is by far the best player in the world atm.

VanKenny

Messi has had the best individual year of his career. If that doesnt tell you who should win it then i dont know what to say to you.

CL MVP and top scorer, La Liga MVP and top scorer, golden boot, a few legendary performances and goals. Im sorry but Van Dijk winning it over Messi would be absolutely hilarious, as ridiculous as Messi being the 5th best player in the world last year.

Fridge chutney

Sterling should be up there and will be in with a shout if England win nations league.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Copa America year. Right now it's still Messi's to lose

If Salah or Mane have a great CL final and follow it up at the AFCON, then either of them could win it

Don't think the Nations League will have much impact on it tbh. I don't see VVD winning it, the non-UK journos will still be more likely to vote Salah/Mane

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Messi should win it as he's been best this season but after last year with Modric, never underestimate the hype. van Dijk is being labelled as best ever CB in PL. If he wins the CL expect a huge campaign to acknowledge a defender by awarding him Ballon d'Or. English media is predictable but it'll boil over to Europe and Rest of the Continent as well.

Schneckerl

Copa America year. Right now it's still Messi's to lose
Don't see the Copa having a positive impact for Messi though - basically needs to win it for it to count as something positive and I think that's very unlikely with the current team.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Don't get why people keep mentioning last year with Modric as if it were some kind of weird unexplainable result :confused: guy was voted WC best player and was widely seen as such(rightly or not)

I mean, Cristiano won it in 2016 because Gignac hit the post and Eder scored. Literally. That's what got journos to vote for him over Griezmann or Messi(meanwhile Suarez will never be truly considered for reasons that have nothing to do with his performances, when in fact he was probably the actual best player in the world that year)

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Messi and it won’t be close. Ludicrous output this year and possibly making this Barca the most one-man team in history.

Paul_Scholes18

Messi should get it. There is no other player anywhere close based on this year and also if you look at his past performances too.

City and Liverpool are mainly doing well being really strong teams rather than having one player that wins them the games.

If you just want to give it to a champions league winner then I guess Van Dijk should probably get it from Liverpool. From Spurs I guess Lucas Moura can get it now after his hattrick if he wins them the final ;). There is no Spurs player that would deserve it though.