Ballon D’or 2019: who will win it? (Alleged leak: Messi 1, Van Dijk 2, Salah 3).

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I'm surprised that nobody is shouting for Mane. They guy's been unreal for the whole season. May he score 2 or 3 against Spurs in the final and the BDO is his.

I'd say it would be a very tight race between Messi, VVD and Mane.
Even if Leo played well for 80% of the season, he kinda went missing when it counted and that might influence some to vote for others.
Messi was still better than Mane in the semi-final. Just because Barca lost over the two legs doesn't make Liverpools best attacker better than Messi. Messi had an amazing first leg, and in the second leg he was the best player on the pitch in my view and everything Barca did was through him.

Eddy_JukeZ

Messi should still easily get it.

No WC to highly influence voting.

Unless Messi has a car crash of a Copa to deter voters from him.

Jib

Salah or VVD if Liverpool win the CL. Otherwise, Leo Messi.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Messi has had the best individual year of his career. If that doesnt tell you who should win it then i dont know what to say to you.

CL MVP and top scorer, La Liga MVP and top scorer, golden boot, a few legendary performances and goals. Im sorry but Van Dijk winning it over Messi would be absolutely hilarious, as ridiculous as Messi being the 5th best player in the world last year.
Some MVP performance on Tue night. :lol:

Cal?

CR7 fan
Messi was still better than Mane in the semi-final. Just because Barca lost over the two legs doesn't make Liverpools best attacker better than Messi. Messi had an amazing first leg, and in the second leg he was the best player on the pitch in my view and everything Barca did was through him.
:lol: He was, at best, the 13th best player on the pitch.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Some MVP performance on Tue night. :lol:
Not everyone gets bailed out by Bale and Benzema.

I'm sure you considered Ronaldo the CL MVP last season despite being a complete ghost in the biggest three matches.

Rito

Supports
Chelsea

I'm sure you considered Ronaldo the CL MVP last season despite being a complete ghost in the biggest three matches.
Not everybody gets bailed out by Iniesta, Neymar, Referees also, by the same logic.

If you can ever see past the blind hatred, you may understand how ridiculous this "bailed out by x,y, z" logic is.

Untd55

It has always been a stupid prize. How do you compare a defender or goalkeeper to an attacker?

Cal?

CR7 fan

I thought Messi increases the output of players on his team? :confused:

Ronaldo was topscorer last season with many more goals than Messi this seaosn.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
I thought Messi increases the output of players on his team? :confused:

Ronaldo was topscorer last season with many more goals than Messi this seaosn.
He scored three more goals and that's because he started all six group stage games while Messi only started three this season.

Individually, it's pretty obvious Messi had a more impressive CL campaign than Ronaldo did last season.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Messi should win it because he was easily the best player in the world for this season both in Champions League and domestically. But considering Ballon d'Or is all but competition for the best player in the world I wouldn't be surprised if they pick someone from CL winning team.

I would be surprised if they don't pull some Real Madrid player out of hat for at least top5.

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
It will probably be Messi again. No other attackers are close to the stats that he posted this season.

RochaRoja

Ballon d’Or isn’t even the FIFA award any more. That daft “The Best” thing is the main one now.

AriKra

Messi for sure.

He was/is the most consistent and most deciding figure in Barcas title challenge, got to the CL semis and i think they are playing in the Cup finale.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Anthony Martial to trigger the £7m to Monaco for an extra kick in the teeth for the Utd fans.

gibers

Ballon d’Or isn’t even the FIFA award any more. That daft “The Best” thing is the main one now.
It isn't. The players mostly care about Ballon D'or. Fifa's the best is just a renamed FIFA world player of the year.

Ballon D'or is the award that has history behind it and apparently FIFA wanted them combined because noone really cared about their FIFA world player of the year (relative to Ballon Dor)

RochaRoja

It isn't. The players mostly care about Ballon D'or. Fifa's the best is just a renamed FIFA world player of the year.

Ballon D'or is the award that has history behind it and apparently FIFA wanted them combined because noone really cared about their FIFA world player of the year (relative to Ballon Dor)
Before the Ballon d’Or and FIFA WPOTY merged, WPOTY was considered the more credible. I don’t know anyone who considers Michael Owen the legit player of the year for 2001. Ditto Nedved in 2004 or Sheva in 2005. Back then people just used to call it the European Footballer of the Year award, making it clearly a lesser award than the World Player of the Year.

To be honest, the Messi and Ronaldo era gave so much more exposure to the merged award than either had before that now Ballon d’Or has so much name recognition that the majority don’t even seem to realise they’re now different trophies. Obviously the voting method of “The Best” (again, such a shite name) makes it more credible than an award decided by the journalists of France Football though. Same as how nobody considers the FWA POTY award to be as significant as the PFA award.

Eddy_JukeZ

Honestly if Messi doesn't win it, the award has become a certified farce.

Eddy_JukeZ

What about if Salah or Kane score the most incredible hat trick in the CL final or such like?
I mean I don't doubt it'd influence some people, but 1 superlative game doesn't equate to an entire season of excellence.

Salah's not even been Liverpool's 2nd best player this season never mind their best. As for Kane, I also think you can argue Sissoko and Son have been more influential this season than him.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I’m gonna go with Messi because he is, in my and most people’s eyes, the best player in the world. The only Liverpool player who could have a claim is VVD, and as brilliant as he’s been, he isn’t the best player on the planet.

Schneckerl

Salah winning it this year would feel odd for me no matter what happens in the final.
Has he been even better than Mane? CL performance Mane has the edge for sure, Salah didn't even play in the comeback game.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
In all seriousness though, I think it should be Messi.

Having said that, if Salah finishes top scorer in the league (looking relatively likely), Liverpool win the CL (they're definitely favourites) and Egypt do well in and perhaps even win the ANC this summer (its in Egypt, they generally have a pretty good team, despite the WC debacle), I think there's a good chance he'd win it. Even more so if Liverpool do the unthinkable and win the league tomorrow.

Which would be funny because I think its fair to say he was better last season but we all know that isn't how the competition really works...

gibers

Before the Ballon d’Or and FIFA WPOTY merged, WPOTY was considered the more credible. I don’t know anyone who considers Michael Owen the legit player of the year for 2001. Ditto Nedved in 2004 or Sheva in 2005. Back then people just used to call it the European Footballer of the Year award, making it clearly a lesser award than the World Player of the Year.

To be honest, the Messi and Ronaldo era gave so much more exposure to the merged award than either had before that now Ballon d’Or has so much name recognition that the majority don’t even seem to realise they’re now different trophies. Obviously the voting method of “The Best” (again, such a shite name) makes it more credible than an award decided by the journalists of France Football though. Same as how nobody considers the FWA POTY award to be as significant as the PFA award.
There is a reason Ronaldinho cried when he won the Bllon D'or and not the Fifa World Player of the year and siad that was the indicvidual award he wanted the most. It might be more 'credible' but footballers care more about Ballon Dor they always have. Pogba talks about Ballon Dor now and not Fifa's Best, Neymar talks about winning the ballon dor and not Fifas best.

In the BEst fans can vote now I think. There is a reason that historically players have always said Ballon Dor and not Fifas best. Even Ronaldo prefers Ballon Dor over Fifa's best, he even said that it was the one he wanted to win iirc.

Although tbf I think South Americans generally valued the FifA world player as they couldn't win the ballon dor until very recently.

Bole Top

People seem to underestimate the importance of a CL win in these votes. Messi is 20 times as good as VVD, but if Pool win the CL you can bet yer bum VVD will finish above him.
but is this even comparable to those years when Ronaldo was winning them? Messi lost those awards to Cristiano of all people, not just to any player that won the CL. it's not like Bonucci or Higuain would have been awarded with ballon d'or if Juventus had beaten Madrid in that final three years ago, just because they won the treble. this time there's Salah with only 4 CL goals and VDV and that's only if Liverpool actually win anything.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
but is this even comparable to those years when Ronaldo was winning them? Messi lost those awards to Cristiano of all people, not just to any player that won the CL. it's not like Bonucci or Higuain would have been awarded with ballon d'or if Juventus had beaten Madrid in that final three years ago, just because they won the treble. this time there's Salah with only 4 CL goals and VDV and that's only if Liverpool actually win anything.
Fair enough, but somehow VVD has this massive hype where everyone is queueing up to say how amazing he is. Same happened with Modric last year. It's that weird, almost forced, media hype that plays a big role in years like these where the usual suspects don't win anything of note.

Bole Top

Fair enough, but somehow VVD has this massive hype where everyone is queueing up to say how amazing he is. Same happened with Modric last year. It's that weird, almost forced, media hype that plays a big role in years like these where the usual suspects don't win anything of note.
yeah, I understand what you're saying, just think it's a bit different this time. Modric was key midfielder at Madrid that won the CL while also being great for our NT in Russia. it was world cup year after all.

VVD is being thrown into all this almost by default imo, like he had some kind of perfect season. Liverpool had 5 points clear of City at the start of february, yet they're about to lose the title while already being out of every other domestic cup. if City finish the job tomorrow, Liverpool's domestic season will in reality be complete failure. nobody would even talk about him if Salah had Ronaldo's stats in CL, but because it's not the case and he didn't even play in their comeback, they just moved to another Liverpool player.

obviously it would be completely different if Liverpool win the double but I don't even want to think about it.

Hala Madrid

Supports
Realmadrid
It will definitely be Virgil Van Dijk, and if he wins it, he'll totally deserve it...
Like they say, football is not just about goals.
VVD for balon d'or

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
True. Buffon would have