Ballon D’or 2019: who will win it? (Alleged leak: Messi 1, Van Dijk 2, Salah 3).

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
No real clear contenders as the previous seasons it looks like? Ronaldo is out of the picture after an early exit in the champions league? Messi could have solidified it if he reached the final? Salah is yet again the top scorer in the Premier League and has a final to play?

Messi
Salah
Ronaldo

‘Non traditional’ contenders: Van dijk? Son?

De Light could have been in the picture if they would win a final?

Any other players to mention?

Who will grab it in your opinion?

Last edited:

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Ronaldos still in with a shout. There's still the Nations League and he could have an excellent August-November before the award is rewarded.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ronaldos still in with a shout. There's still the Nations League and he could have an excellent August-November before the award is rewarded.
Nah. He's not winning it on account of the Serie A.

It'll be a Liveprool player, sadly. It's nearly always a CL winner.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Messi should win it and quite easily. He's comfortably the top goalscorer in La Liga and the CL and he'll finish the season on 50 goals scored. There's not been much in this Barca squad all season yet they'll finish it with 2 cups and a CL semi final.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Last year they took it from Ronaldo to give it to Modric based on Croatia getting to the WC final despite Ramos, Marcelo and Ronaldo all having better seasons than Modric for Real Madrid... now they have to follow the same logic. It's going to be Van Dijk if they win the Champions League. Best defender in the world, scored at Bayern and at Porto, 97 points league season and currently in the CL final... still with the Nations League to come too.

Web of Bissaka

VVD, Salah
Kane? Son? who is Spurs best players this season?

De Ligt will be hyped, but not winning it.

Alisson will also be in.

Messi and Ronaldo will still hang around in the contender list.
I think the likes of Neymar, Mbappe, Sterling, and Pogba will also be mentioned in the votes but they're not going to win it.

Tch, I want Messi but he's going to get screwed over again. It'll likely be Liverpool player.

Last edited:

JEredDevil

Guess this year would be either VVD or Salah. Could see Ronaldo dropping to 3rd/4th and Messi still outside the top 3, unless he could guide Argentina to Copa success. Guess the dominance of CR7 and Messi is well and truly over and normality is resumed in the footballing world. CR7 and Messi would still probably dominate their respective leagues for 2-3 more years, because well they are still superhuman. But Barca should start making plans to phase out Messi.

Im secretly hoping someone rather than VVD or Salah would win it though. Will be hoping for Aguero. That guy has been phenomenal for almost his whole career and is just unfortunate that he has to play in the same era as CR7 and Messi

A-boateng

Salah would have got it if he had the season last year this year and Liverpool win the CL.

I think Messi should get it but I won’t be surprised if Van Dijk gets it.

Last edited by a moderator:

marktan

Messi will get it.

The only way that doesn't happen is if Liverpool win the CL and the league, or if Liverpool win the CL and have a great start to next season and Messi doesn't. In that case Van Djik / Salah would have a shout.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yeah, being that the Ballon d'Or is a complete PR catastrophe at times, with the backlash they got for placing Messi 5th, he will most likely win it this year. Golden boot, pretty much dragged Barcelona as far as he could, won La Liga, he'll get his 6th.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Tough to see how Messi doesn't get it. Best player in the world domestically and in the champions league this year.

He certainly has a better case than Ronaldo did in 2013 or 2014

Mrdan1709

Yeah, being that the Ballon d'Or is a complete PR catastrophe at times, with the backlash they got for placing Messi 5th, he will most likely win it this year. Golden boot, pretty much dragged Barcelona as far as he could, won La Liga, he'll get his 6th.
You speak as if Barcelona is Huddersfield. They have world class players in almost every position. I dont think even one player from our team gets into their lineup, maybe the only exception being Pogba.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maybe VVD or Salah if Liverpool wins it. If Spurs win it maybe Messi.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's ridicilous that it's almost always a CL-winner who gets it. Messi has been outstanding and would rightly deserve it.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Messi is far ahead of the competition. VVD deserves applause, but Messi has comfortably been the best in the world this season.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
VVD will win it.
I honestly think this as well.

He’s been the best player in the world this year and has now reached the CL finals for the 2nd consecutive season...his body of work speaks for itself.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Messi should win it but I'm picking Salah or VVD as the most likely given Liveprool will win the CL final.

Treble

Messi will get over looked. Ronaldo got beaten by Modric last year. VVD is the likeliest winner. Kane is with an outside chance if he stars in the final and scores the winner.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Laugh all you won’t but doesn’t change that he’s been virtually invincible.

He just pocketed the other possible contender in 3 out of 4 half’s of football and advanced further in said competition.

...I’d say it’s as much about VVD being great as it also is there not being any threatening/clear cut contenders out there which makes him winning it very possible. Very good scenario for him to be in.

Messi will get over looked. Ronaldo got beaten by Modric last year. VVD is the likeliest winner.
Bingo

EDIT:
I’m out of posts for today (newbie) so won’t be able to respond till tomorrow

Last edited:

Welbeckham

It is probably Messi vs. VVD, depending on Van Dijk’s upcoming results with club and country.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Probably Messi. With Ronaldo not being on his former level, the normalisation effect on Messi's freakish performences has worn off a bit.

AgentP

Messi should win it. He's been phenomenal this season apart from the last game of course.

Classical Mechanic

An interesting aspect is if Dani Alves gets his auto shoe in for right back in the FIFpro World team of the year. His election seemed odd last year but surely Alexander Arnold has done enough to make it this time, although some feel Kimmich should be elected.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If VVD nods in the winner in the CL final he will win it. He has the needed media hype to do so.

Messi and Ronaldo arent winning it I'd say after both crashing out of the CL prematurely. Winning the Serie A is not an achievement and for all his magic, the way Barca crashed out will flatten Messi's chances.

De Ligt might finish in the top 5/10 l, which would be great for such a young kid.

izec

Dont see Salah, he isnt as good this season. If Mane had higher numbers, he would have a good chance. Kane has no chance

Van Dijk or Messi, depends on the remaining games.

Revan

Assumptionman
If Liverpool wins UCL, it has to be VVD. Otherwise, free for all with no obvious candidate, with Messi being the favorite.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There is only one candidate.

Sissoko. It should be Sissoko for 1,2,3.