Ballon D’or 2019: who will win it? (Alleged leak: Messi 1, Van Dijk 2, Salah 3).

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I think the whole Ballon D'Or thing needs to be changed. Make it more like the Oscars or something. Best defender, best midfielder, best goalie, etc. Yes there is the team of the year, golden glove etc but it doesn't place it on the same level as the ballon D'Or. Messi couldn't do what Messi does without the support he has in much greater spades at Barça than he does on his national team. The constant drooling over Messi is imho detrimental to what this sport should stand for.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
When is the last time a defender - especially a CB won the award anyway? Or has it ever even happened?
Cannavaro (2006)
Sammer (1996)
Beckenbauer (1976 and 1972)

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Not like he scored 2 goals in one of those semifinals and created a few other excellent goal-scoring opportunities, no.

The time to give Busquets an individual award has passed by the way, he was quite dreadful last season.
So dreadful he started as the key CM for Barcelona as they won La Liga ? Granted he used to be even better and has declined a bit.

Barcelona lost that CL, including the 4 - 0 to your B team, they lost the Copa del Rey final. Argentina lost the Copa America semi. For me that should pretty much rule Messi out. Regardless of his goal / assists stats.

Would be interesting if we could run experiments and take certain players out of teams then re-run the season and see what the result was? That's probably the only actual way of figuring out just how key certain players are to the team winning games or not.

We can see this season with Laporte at City, without him they're a shadow of the side from last year defensively. He played 34 games last year in the league, and probably just as much in the two cups as well, shouldn't he be in with a shout?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
It's easier to judge forwards because they have more "tangible" stats, goals and assists. Messi did absolutely nothing in the two key semi finals this year or the Copa del rey final. Lost all of them.

I know almost no one else is going to give any respect to any players who aren't forwards. For these awards, it's all about marketing and kids who like football want the goal scorers winning all the time. So the money men give the people what they want and sell more stuff with Messi's face on it...

I'd like to see the other 10 players on the pitch get some respect though, what is the point of football anyway, winning the big trophies surely? Not just racking goals up against La liga teams where goal difference doesn't matter, so they just give up after going a few goals down.

Personally like to see real "football" awards given to guys like Busquets, who runs the midfield and without whom there's no platform to attack. Plenty of other examples of unsung non forward players in winning teams who just don't get appreciated properly.
It's for the best player of the season. Should they do the awards as a best forward award, best midfielder award, best defender award? Sure

And you really downplay Messi it's laughable. Liverpool would be a better team without VVD than Barcelona without Messi. It's not even close.

It's also stunning how many people downplay la liga like it's nothing. You're acting like in La Liga teams are scoring 5-6 goals a game, when that isn't even close to the case. Barca had tons of close games last year with Messi being the difference maker.

Liverpool got elite contributions from Mane, Salah, Allison, and their amazing full backs in CL.

Messi had over half of Barca's CL goals in total and created EVERY chance in that second leg against Pool. Van Dijk had far more help from his teammates than Messi did from his. Nobody every would dare call Pool a one man team. Barcelona, as bizarre as it sounds for a billion dollar squad, played mostly like a one man team although Ter Stegen deserves a lot of credit as well. Suarez has been up and down but had some big moments.

50+ goals and 25+ assists. That is godly no matter how you slice it. To have someone be the best scorer AND playmaker in a single season is ridiculous.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
So dreadful he started as the key CM for Barcelona as they won La Liga ? Granted he used to be even better and has declined a bit.

Barcelona lost that CL, including the 4 - 0 to your B team, they lost the Copa del Rey final. Argentina lost the Copa America semi. For me that should pretty much rule Messi out. Regardless of his goal / assists stats.

Would be interesting if we could run experiments and take certain players out of teams then re-run the season and see what the result was? That's probably the only actual way of figuring out just how key certain players are to the team winning games or not.

We can see this season with Laporte at City, without him they're a shadow of the side from last year defensively. He played 34 games last year in the league, and probably just as much in the two cups as well, shouldn't he be in with a shout?
City are underepresented in ballon d'or for sure, but City as a whole has everyone declining. Aguero is injured, Sterling looks off, and of course the defense is in shambles with Laporte's injury. But Laporte alone isn't why city are struggling even if he is the biggest reason. They used to put 5-6 past teams last season, that is not the case this year. Plus for a team touted with the greatest depth in the world, City aren't really showing that this year.

Last edited:

VanKenny

As good as VVD may be as a football player, he simply wasnt close to Messi's level last year. He knows it, his teammates know it, CR7 knows it, everyone in the world knows it.

Probably only Messi himself wouldnt care and give it to VVD haha.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
:lol:

"Messi doesn't deserve it because I don't really care about that Spanish league he's playing in". And please, do tell me which other players "always hit high numbers" like Messi does? 50+ goals in 2019.

It's an individual award and should go to the best individual player, which was once again Messi in 2019.
Come out back from your holiday swinging, I see! :lol:

How you man? Yeah I wouldn't really mind either getting the award tbf. Neither choice would be "controversial" and they'd both be deserving.

flontiestacks

Supports
Ajax
28 - Joao Felix, Marquinhos, Van De Beek
26 - Benzema, Wijnaldum
24 - Koulibaly, Ter Stegen
23 - Lloris
22 - Son Heung-Min
20 - Tadic , Aubameyang
19 - Trent Alexander-Arnold
18 - Griezmann
17 - Firmino
16 - Aguero
15 - De Ligt
14 - De Bruyne
13 - Hazard
12 - Sterling
11 - De Jong

Allisson, Salah, Mane, Van Dijk, Mahrez, B. Silva, Mbappe, Lewandowski, Ronaldo and Messi still in the race. Some weird choices imo.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
De Jong and Mahrez ahead of Sterling.. aye awrite..

Paul_Scholes18

What is Mahrez doing so bloody high? Not even regular starter. No ziyech is strange. I think he is the best player that Ajax got.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Lewandowski has a career mark of 0.68 goals per game. Aguero 0.58 per game, Suarez 0.67 a game, even Ronaldo is "only" at 0.74 goals per game. Attackers are not supposed to score at a ratio of 1 goal per 1 game because that would make you one of the best players of all time. Oh and Messi's goal per game ratio is actually 0.88.
He's either trolling or is that ignorant

svn

Haven't you heard? Players are either "apalling" or "absolutely incredible". There is no in between.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Buffon has been shit for years now
I know what you mean but for me he's been diabolical for god knows how many years now. Just gets by on his name these days. The fact he's still starting at games at Juventus is staggering.
I mean, he was the best goalkeeper in the CL in 16/17...that's 3 seasons ago
Yeah well, he fecked up when it counted the most. I never said it should go to van Dijk, but hell, Messi getting it feels like rewarding failure. I don't really care about La Liga, if you're Barca or Real there you'll always hit high numbers.
I mean, he put 3 teammates 1on1 with Alisson at Anfield...

Football. Still a team sport
I mean, barcelona largely won the league on the backs of Messi and Ter Stegen. Busquets wasn't bad, not really, but also he was one of barcelona's weakest links in most game against a top side. Especially evident in both games against Liverpool. And it's happening this season too...

Btw, i call robbery if VVD doesn't win. Frankly, it should be VVD winner, Mane second and Messi third. Bernardo Silva, Cristiano and Mahrez rounding up the top 6

Pocho

First it was Ronaldo, now is VVD, Messi is the best now, yesterday and for over almost 15 years, get over it.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I just realised how long it’s been since Messi won this. Completely crazy.

Sjaakmeoff

I hate the fact that the whole thing is in French. No one there understands a thing they are saying which results in a lot of painful silent moments.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
:lol: Apparently Drogba owed Mbappé a selfie from the night of Ovrebo

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
First it was Ronaldo, now is VVD, Messi is the best now, yesterday and for over almost 15 years, get over it.
Don't forget Wesley Sneijder. He was their favourite one to bring up to try and discredit Messi :lol:

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Jesus won with Brazil too so maybe he should be in top 10 as well.
The difference being Mahrez was the key player for his team and practically led them to the trophy meanwhile Jesus was “only” a part of the winning team, contributed his bit but wasn’t by any means the main man.

Last edited: