Ballon d'Or 2021 | Lewandowski robbed again

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Can't get over the fact that Jorginho actually got top 3, like what the hell.

Skills

Snitch
Champions league + Euro winner. What else?
He's barely the 3rd best player in either of those teams

Italy
Donnaruma
Verratti
Chiesa

Chelsea
Thiago Silva
Kante
Mount/Jorginho

The year Modric won it, he was Croatia's talisman by far & Madrid's 2nd/3rd best player.

Bearded One

To be fair he single-handedly pulled Portugal through in a group that consisted of Germany and France only to be smacked by Belgium (rank 1) in the quarterfinals. Not that I personally would put him even top 10, but there is at least some merit to it.

I don't really care for the whole Messi/CR7 ordeal, but I'd imagine if you put the latter in a 10-team tournament that included the likes of Romania, Ireland, Bosnia and Israel they'd be contenders for every single one.

I honestly think it should have gone to an Italian if it wasn't meant for Lewandowski. Copa America to me is the Conference League of continental tournaments so should carry no merit.
“Copa America should carry no merit”

Just because you want someone else to get the award you are suggesting that Copa America gets no look in? Or we should just hand the award to a certain Italian like Jorginho who is not even the best midfielder never mind player in both his Chelsea and Italian teams?

Common let’s be objective guys.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Let me get this straight.... you're saying the main reason the team concedes is because of an attacking player? What sort of mental gymnastics is this?
Yes.
Messi is the worst outfield player in world football when it comes to defensive duties.
He's a passenger and a liability every second that his team does not have the ball

Eplel

This award died in 2010 when Sneijder led Inter to a treble, and somehow 3 Barcelona players ended up with more votes.

Reactions: Varun

Sviken

Jorginho third? Messi first? Bruno 6 pts while De Bruyne 73? What an absolute PR excercise.
This award died in 2010 when Sneijder led Inter to a treble, and somehow 3 Barcelona players ended up with more votes.
Also, Netherlands to a WC final.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Even if the dribbles don't contribute to game outcomes, there's no questioning the fact that Messi is a better dribbler than Lewa. Usually the amount of dribbles completed and successful dribbles is a metric used to come to the conclusion that one player is a better dribbler than the other. Dribbling contributes to one player being better at football than the other player, just like passing, first touch, creativity, shooting etc.
The answer, then, is 'no', you haven't checked. You just arbitrarily picked a statistic in which Messi had a higher number than the other one, with no thought put into it besides "dribbling is good."

Bearded One

I think Messi will finish 3rd in voting …. The year AFTER he retires. Does anyone really care who wins the Copa? They are acting like he finally got over the hump and redeemed himself for all those horrid WC’s. The Copa doesn’t carry the gravity of Euros. He and Barca at least seemed mediocre at very best last year. I don’t know WHO else should have won it, but it shouldn’t have been Messi.
No one person had an outright claim to the award and so if the award would be given it was always going to be Messi or Lewa. Jorginho couldn’t win it like Modric did because he was not as talismanic as the former was for his national team among other reasons.

I said that anyone who gets the award between Messi and Lewa is a fair choice because there is no outright winner here. Winning the Copa America and scoring and assisting the most while winning the player of the tournament added to his individual stats is a very good feat despite his setbacks at club level (every contender for the award had one significant setback or the other).

It was a fair outcome imo and as an aside I have predicted Balon D’Or awards correctly since forever. In fact I recall when I predicted Modric people thought I was crazy but it happened to be so. If people can ignore their personal biases and try to “enter” the minds of the deciders of this award, it would be pretty easy to judge who would win it.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
27 MOTM awards in 49 games. Top scorer in La Liga.
La Liga has 'player of the month' and Messi only won it once. There is also 'player of the season' awarded (by Marca, tbf) which was won by Luis Suarez. Messi's goalscoring record in La Liga was the 2nd worst for a top scorer in the last decade.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
My son just messaged me to say Lewandowski was robbed this year and last. So I'll go with that.

Messi is playing in France FFS. The league where you go for a paycheck and to become irrelevant.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Yes nothing to do with Barcelona's defense playing like a bunch of amateurs.
Messi is not responsible for Barcelona having a bad defense. But he's been playing for a club that is cavalier when it comes to defending and instead gives him the freedom to attack, which allows him to boost his individual 'stats.' He's not the only player that benefits from this, but it's particularly grating when your team is not really functioning well.

It was obvious this season, where RM and Atletico were much more defensive than Barcelona. They scored many less goals, and as such their top goalscorers were behind Messi. But they also conceded many less goals, which is why Suarez and Benzema had more 'match-winning goals' than Messi.

Varun

Staff
Yep, it's a load of bollocks. Treble with Inter and Netherlands to the finals of the WC.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The case for Sneijder was weakened by the perception that Jose Mourinho was the person responsible for that treble.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Well said.

It's just a bunch of bollocks at this point.

Idxomer

He's barely the 3rd best player in either of those teams

Italy
Donnaruma
Verratti
Chiesa

Chelsea
Thiago Silva
Kante
Mount/Jorginho

The year Modric won it, he was Croatia's talisman by far & Madrid's 2nd/3rd best player.
I would also rate Spinazzola and the Chiellini-Bonucci combo above him, Mendy too from that Chelsea team.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No he wasn’t. I followed Madrid closely during that period, and really do think he has a rather average season for Madrid in 17/18.

In terms of average rating, he ranked 11th in Madrid team in CL, and ranked 6th in the Madrid team in LL. Abit underwhelming actually. To me, he was nowhere near Madrid top 5 best player over that season.

I also remember Madrid midfield got outplayed by their opponents in many games I’ve watched. Modric was key part of midfield getting outplayed that season. Maybe he has some good games there about, but overall he wasn’t as consistent as in his previous years.

He was easily Croatia best player in WC though, which won them 2nd place for first time in their history, but I think he mainly stands out in the group stage.

In the end, he has the best narrative of the year - being main talisman to lead Croatia to WC final, and being part of Madrid team to win CL. Also, it’s WC year, and it’s probably best time to give it to someone not named Messi or Ronaldo, and to a midfielder instead. Modric just happen to fit the best narrative, personally I think he is probably the worst Ballon D’or winner for long time.

Last edited:

BlackShark_80

Ballon d'Or has been a popularity contest since way back in the 00s. The correct list for the top 3 should be like this:
  1. Lewandowski
  2. Messi
  3. Benzema

Real Name

Usually a good international tournament helps a lot. This time it didnt help Jorginho for instance but it helped Modrić in 2018. Funny thing is in that year there were cries Messi was robbed.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
On a side note, I still remember the farce of Messi winning the World Cup golden ball award in 2014, when he wasn’t even Argentina’s best player at that tournament, and it was Mascherano who largely dragged them to the final.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
On a side note, I still remember the farce of Messi winning the World Cup golden ball award in 2014, when he wasn’t even Argentina’s best player at that tournament, and it was Mascherano who largely dragged them to the final.
Muller was the best player for me. Kroos and Van Persie were also exceptional.

These awards have been a popularity and biggest name/moment in a big international final for many years. In 1998, Thuram was the best player for me, right next to Ronaldo, and while Zidane was suspended for the SF match after a red card, it was Thuram who put France the in the Final. The entire side were magnificent against Brazil but Zidane gets two goals and suddenly he's the world's best player. Ronaldo was still the best player on the planet for the full calendar year but his disappearance in the Final cost him votes. Yet it was Ronaldo not Zidane that took him the golden ball in the tournament.

Four years later Ronaldo got his revenge yet it was Rivaldo that carried Brazil and Kahn was arguably the best player in the world that year. The model has become - show up in the big international competition and one's actual club performances take a seat. Modric exemplified this.

Last edited:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Modric won it for winning 3 CLs in a row and 4 overall with RM. Voters wanted to award more than just 1 person (Ronaldo) after such an achievement. Sure, that's not how awards are supposed to be given, but it's what happened.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Four years later Ronaldo got his revenge yet it was Rivaldo that carried Brazil and Kahn was arguably the best player in the world that year.
Ronaldo's 8 WC goals are the highest tally since 1970. It's not like he just had a decent one.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I don’t give a single feck about this thing but I just have to say it’s objectively hilarious seeing people cite Messi’s number of MOTM awards and number of dribbles as justification for him winning.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
I can understand the lewa argument. I do not understand the Jorghino one. Benz, Neymar, CR7, Mbappe, Salah, Verrati and Kante were all better footballers than he is in this calendar year, but he ended up 3rd?

KeanoMagicHat

The reason for that was that Xavi and Iniesta were arguably the best players at the World Cup and World Cup > Champions League. As for Messi, he had a Messi type season, but he was so early in his career that it seemed incredible, nobody knew that he’d keep having the same season for 10 years then.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
He wasn't the best player in either of those teams though.
Agree, but what might have helped is that he was great in both finals...

Lewandovski not winning this year is an absolute disgrace.