Ballon d'Or 2021: more interesting than usual?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yes i think if messi wins the copa hes clear favourite
would that make it 7-5 aginst ronaldo... and he would have won an international tournament (and played in the final) ... I think the ronaldo vs messi thread would meltdown if that happens
Brazil will win it anyway

Eddy_JukeZ

would that make it 7-5 aginst ronaldo... and he would have won an international tournament (and played in the final) ... I think the ronaldo vs messi thread would meltdown if that happens
The main argument the Ronaldo fans have for Ronaldo lately pretty much dies.

And Messi's Copa performances have been better than Ronaldo's in that Euros thus far.

Number32

Did Ballon D'or used to be an award for footballers whose career was in Europe only. There might be changed when it merges with FIFA, but since they were split in 2016 I think the awards wouldn't count Copa as an individual achievement.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Did Ballon D'or used to be an award for footballers whose career was in Europe only. There might be changed when it merges with FIFA, but since they were split in 2016 I think the awards wouldn't count Copa as an individual achievement.
I think it will inevitably influence the voting though
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_FIFA_Men's_Player
Criteria and voting
The selection criteria for the players of the year are sporting performance, as well as general conduct on and off the pitch.
The votes are decided by media representatives, national team coaches, and national team captains. In October 2016, it was announced that the general public would also be allowed to vote. Each group has 25% of the overall vote.[5]

JB7

I agreed these awards shouldnt just depend on one competition. Kane had better season over all as a goal scorer but he failed two important occasions one against dynamo Zagreb another against man City in cup final. So I just don't take kane serious contender for balon dor even if he won euro. championship.
You are clearly very blinkered by being a Chelsea fan. For example if England won the Euros with Kane scoring in every knockout game after he'd topped the Premier League for both goals and assists playing in a team that finished 7th he'd be right up there with the contenders.

Number32

I think it will inevitably influence the voting though
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_FIFA_Men's_Player
That's FIFA Best Men Player of the year not Ballon d'or.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballon_d'Or

Originally, it was an award only for players from Europe and widely known as the European Footballer of the Year award. In 1995, the Ballon d'Or was expanded to include all players from any origin that have been active at European clubs. The award became a global prize in 2007 with all professional footballers from around the world being eligible.
Ballon d'or used to be an award for footballers who had an outstanding career in Europe only, but it was merged with FIFA to become more global, and they split again in 2016. My question is Ballon d'or back to the old ways or not? Pele and Maradona never won this award.
I think Messi would win FIFA awards if Argentina won Copa America, but the Ballon d'or would be tough.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Barca won the trophy as part of the 2011-12 season. Club World Cup final was December 2011, which is part of the 2011-12 season for example
The Ballon D'or is a calendar award, as ridiculous as that is.

Cal?

CR7 fan
The main argument the Ronaldo fans have for Ronaldo lately pretty much dies.

And Messi's Copa performances have been better than Ronaldo's in that Euros thus far.
Including when he quit after missing his penalty? :lol:

Cal?

CR7 fan
They were both played in 2011 but Messi still won the CDR in 2012, so your original point is still invalid. Ronaldo is the only player in the 21st century to win the Ballon D’Or without winning a major team trophy.
As if the CDR trophy played any part in the award. :lol:

Messi fully deserved it that year due to his goalscoring, not his CDR.

KeanoMagicHat

Even if Belgium had won the Euros, Lukaku would not have been anywhere near deserving Ballon d’Or. Good striker but not that level at all.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Surely only between Messi and Lewandowski now?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It’s not though, Bundesliga has always been among the top leagues and have been winning lots since the 1970s, not like breaking a record from a team that came into money 10 years ago.

Only 2 players have scored more goals than that in a league season in the modern era, and that’s Messi and Ronaldo. And he did it in only 29 games. So his goal per game was better than any Ronaldo league season to date. If it was so easy, why can’t others do it? The best Mbappé has done is 33 goals in a weaker league, not 41.
The funny thing is that you didn't describe PSG. The only time PSG didn't had lot of money was under Colony Capital. PSG's record is I believe from the 70s by Carlos Bianchi

Edit: I forgot that Ibrahimovic scored 38 which is one more than Bianchi.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Looks like Kane is having a resurgence in this tournament, if England wins it with Kane performing well, surely he is in it too?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Looks like Kane is having a resurgence in this tournament, if England wins it with Kane performing well, surely he is in it too?
if England win he should be In the top 3 for sure

Eddy_JukeZ

No, because a few England players have been better than him in the Euros if that's the main criteria

He'll be top 10 though(maybe top 5)

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
No, because a few England players have been better than him in the Euros if that's the main criteria

He'll be top 10 though(maybe top 5)
Its a combination of Euros and domestic form, surely you understand this.

Kane was the top scorer and assist provider in the PL last season, so he doesnt have to be the outstanding player for England, just be "good", to put him above the other English players that is.

VanKenny

Yeah im pretty sure its Messi's to lose. Hes having a ridiculous year, he isnt the lighting fast dribbler he was in 2010 but somehow he's just as influential on the pitch.

KeanoMagicHat

Its a combination of Euros and domestic form, surely you understand this.

Kane was the top scorer and assist provider in the PL last season, so he doesnt have to be the outstanding player for England, just be "good", to put him above the other English players that is.
But not good enough to be considered the best player in his domestic game by either football writers or players, then did nothing in Europe.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Funny that Kane is now 2nd at the bookies for the Ballon D'or. Seems a few games can wildly swing it in your favour. He's not a terrible shout though, but I guess all this speculation is a bit stupid since the first half of the 2021/2022 season counts for something as well.

lsd

The Oracle
Not that it will happen as it works be a total joke but if he did he would be the least deserving winner since Michael Owen.

I can see a pattern there

Siezard

Where do I see motm in that app/website?
Still 26 motm out of 35 games is absolutely insane. So far ahead of the curve
That's because every match is focused on watching Messi.

If you watch Michael Jordan's games last time, he's pretty much Motm for almost every game as well.

Tarrou

Not that it will happen as it works be a total joke but if he did he would be the least deserving winner since Michael Owen.

I can see a pattern there
he's only winning it if England win the Euros, in which case I don't see why it would be a joke

he had a great season