Ballon d'Or 2021: more interesting than usual?

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Messi broke his leg and didn't play for a season they still give it to him. They guys the pin up for UEFA. Wonder who's going to be the next one.????
Unless we actually had a season where Messi broke his leg and still won, than we should be talking.
Even the infamous 2010 Ballon Dor, Messi scored 51 goalsand many assists in the calendar year at a rate of every goal contribution in 75 minutes.
While Sneijder post world cup, became a shadow of his former self.

Son

Every match is also focused on Ronaldo, Neymar, Mbappe etc. How many MOTM awards did they win this year? I'm pretty sure Messi won more than all of the 3 combined and this has been true through out his career.

Infact, when I used to follow player ratings when Messi/Ronaldo were at their peak, it was very rare for Messi to get anything less than 8/10. Ronaldo on the other hand had a performances where even with his goal/goals would get less.

The level of consistency in individual performonance (not only goals) by Messi is probably unparalleled and when you combine that with an extremely high ceiling (otherworldly ability), you have THE GOAT.
Yeah he’s been head and shoulders above everyone in his career. It’s amazing he is still doing it week in week out too.

I don’t even understand how the guy still has his sceptics after all these years. Even in his 30’s you could have a good argument for him still been the finest player ever to put on a pair of boots considering how he carries Barcelona each week. Not taking into account his peak.

VanKenny

Messi is going to be the first player in history to win the Balon D or on three different decades. If that doesnt say "GOAT" outloud i dont know what does.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Messi is going to be the first player in history to win the Balon D or on three different decades. If that doesnt say "GOAT" outloud i dont know what does.
people stopped taking the award seriously after 2010 will be the counter argument

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ronaldo can also do that, if by chance Ronaldo achieves this next year, would you say he is the GOAT?

Btw, that's a pointless criteria. Most of this depends on their birth year, the player who starts their career near the end of decade has higher chance of playing in more decades than the one who started their career at the start of the decade.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I bet it's so unimportant to Messi compared to what he's just won this summer. He'd probably happily have traded 3-4 of his Balon Dor for one international trophy beforehand.

amolbhatia50k

Not as crazy as it may look.
CL and Euro 2021 winner. Maybe if he had put that penalty away he may have been on the shortlist
Absolutely crazy. He's just a goodish player, nothing more. To base it solely off of trophies devalues it even further.

Revan

Assumptionman
I do not know why Jorginho and co are discussed. He was good and win two big trophies, but he was not awesome in either of them. We saw Sneijder who had way better tournaments ending with nothing.

I would say that it should go either to Messi or Lewandowski. I think that Lewa has been the best player in the world for the last two years, and no idea why France Football decided to rob him of the award last year.
Messi might have been better this year though, so he is probably the overall favorite. However, if anyone else gets the award, it is simply trying to push an agenda, not giving to the best performing player.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I do not know why Jorginho and co are discussed. He was good and win two big trophies, but he was not awesome in either of them. We saw Sneijder who had way better tournaments ending with nothing.

I would say that it should go either to Messi or Lewandowski. I think that Lee’s has been the best player in the world for the last two years, and no idea why France Football decided to rob him of the award last year.
Messi might have been better this year though, so he is probably the overall favorite. However, if anyone else gets the award, it is simply trying to push an agenda, not giving to the best performing player.
Depends on how they start the new season as well though.

KeanoMagicHat

Jorginho should be nowhere near it, he didn’t particular stand out for either Euros or CL team. From Chelsea Kante should be ahead of Jorginho, he was man of the match in both legs of CL semi final and final. Jorginho was better in the Euros than he was for Chelsea, but you wouldn’t put him in the top 10 players in the Euros in my opinion.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Ronaldo can also do that, if by chance Ronaldo achieves this next year, would you say he is the GOAT?

Btw, that's a pointless criteria. Most of this depends on their birth year, the player who starts their career near the end of decade has higher chance of playing in more decades than the one who started their career at the start of the decade.
Ronaldo won’t be winning another ballon d’or

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Think Messi winning the copa has sealed it. Bit harsh on Lewandowski, but no one cares that he helped Bayern win their 327th title in a row I'm afraid.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Think Messi winning the copa has sealed it. Bit harsh on Lewandowski, but no one cares that he helped Bayern win their 327th title in a row I'm afraid.
it only counts for 2021 calendar year, I think lewa missing out last year was harsh but this calendar year Messi has been better.

Rojow

Not as crazy as it may look.
CL and Euro 2021 winner. Maybe if he had put that penalty away he may have been on the shortlist
Juan Mata should've won in 2012 then. CL + Euro. And there are a few other examples. It's not how this works.

Moiraine

Just read this on Facebook….

- "We live in a time when we want to give the Ballon d’Or to a player who finished
✔third in La Liga,
✔was eliminated in the knockout stages of the Champions League by losing 4-1 at home (the sixth year in a row being humiliated in CL),
✔who lost the final of the Spanish Super Cup after seeing a red card for hitting the opponent with his right…”

"Just because he scored four goals against Chile, Ecuador and Bolivia! And it’s real.”

✔PS: 29 goals in La Liga, 24 scored against the last seven teams in the league.”

✔5 goals in the Champions League this season, 4 penalties.”

✔Messi Ballon d’Or (laughing emojis). If he wins it, it will be the ugliest and most busted Ballon d’Or in history.
✔Winning the Ballon d'Or after such a bad season, scoring goals that didn’t win your team anything, ✔zero goals against Real Madrid for four years, ✔zero goals against Atletico Madrid, zero against the great clubs, nothing. Thank you Eibar, Osasuna and Getafe.”

✔PS: For those who are telling me about Copa America, this competition with two groups of five teams, where the first four are directly qualified to the quarter-finals! Have you no shame?"

✔✔Someone told the truth finally

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
✔✔✔

Messi has been far from being comprehensively the best player in the world, but theres still strong enough merit to give it to him. I’d probably give it to Lewandowski though, who was genuinely robbed last year too.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
✔✔✔

Messi has been far from being comprehensively the best player in the world, but theres still strong enough merit to give it to him. I’d probably give it to Lewandowski though, who was genuinely robbed last year too.
Surely they can give Lewandowski one for 2020 as you rightfully said he was denied it. Should have been so easy to award it virtually via zoom etc last year.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

- "We live in a time when we want to give the Ballon d’Or to a player who finished
✔third in La Liga,
✔was eliminated in the knockout stages of the Champions League by losing 4-1 at home (the sixth year in a row being humiliated in CL),
✔who lost the final of the Spanish Super Cup after seeing a red card for hitting the opponent with his right…”

"Just because he scored four goals against Chile, Ecuador and Bolivia! And it’s real.”

✔PS: 29 goals in La Liga, 24 scored against the last seven teams in the league.”

✔Messi Ballon d’Or (laughing emojis). If he wins it, it will be the ugliest and most busted Ballon d’Or in history.
✔Winning the Ballon d'Or after such a bad season, scoring goals that didn’t win your team anything, ✔zero goals against Real Madrid for four years, ✔zero goals against Atletico Madrid, zero against the great clubs, nothing. Thank you Eibar, Osasuna and Getafe.”

✔PS: For those who are telling me about Copa America, this competition with two groups of five teams, where the first four are directly qualified to the quarter-finals! Have you no shame?"

Damn that's messed up

Ladron de redcafe

it only counts for 2021 calendar year, I think lewa missing out last year was harsh but this calendar year Messi has been better.
Easily. Lewandowski should be given an award for 2020, in my opinion. But Messi shouldn't be robbed for his performances this year. He's been head and shoulders above anybody on this planet so far.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty

✔third in La Liga,

Reminded me of some dumbass in Twitter who made a number of trivial stats manipulation of Messi's 91 goals in a year or 73 goals in a season was nothing special. :lol:
But hey as we say in Hindi, "doobte ko tinka ka sahara".

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Guys, there are still 5 months in this year to be played for the BdO

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Made up lies..

30 league goals, only 12 were against bottom 7 sides.

Nearly 50% were against top 10 sides.

Not been 4 years since he scored vs Real Madrid either..

Theres a few on here who could have wrote that nonsense post on facebook tbh

KeanoMagicHat

The problem throughout the Messi vs Ronaldo comparisons has always been that it's been reduced to a goals contest, when Messi would still be one of the best players in the world if he only scored 10 goals a season. Messi was the best player in the world on WhoScored, with 8.52 average per match, only Lewandowski was close at 8.07. Next best was Kane at 7.79.

Assists

Messi 9
Lewandowski 7
Ronaldo 3

Key passes

Messi 2.2
Lewandowski 1.1
Ronaldo 1.1

Dribbles

Messi 4.5
Ronaldo 1.8
Lewandowski 0.8

Won fouls

Messi 2.8
Ronaldo 1.3
Lewandowski 1

Bad controls per game

Messi 1.6
Ronaldo 1.9
Lewandowski 2.4

Passes per game

Messi 64.2
Ronaldo 29.9
Lewandowski 22.8

Pass success rate

Messi 85.1%
Ronaldo 82.1%
Lewandowski 77.2%

For what it's worth I'd still pick Lewandowsi and his 41 goals in 29 games...but the idea that Messi hasn't been good this year is nonsense.

meninred

Jorginiho ?? is the Ballon d'or about good penalty takers ?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The problem throughout the Messi vs Ronaldo comparisons has always been that it's been reduced to a goals contest, when Messi would still be one of the best players in the world if he only scored 10 goals a season. Messi was the best player in the world on WhoScored, with 8.52 average per match, only Lewandowski was close at 8.07. Next best was Kane at 7.79.

Assists

Messi 9
Lewandowski 7
Ronaldo 3

Key passes

Messi 2.2
Lewandowski 1.1
Ronaldo 1.1

Dribbles

Messi 4.5
Ronaldo 1.8
Lewandowski 0.8

Won fouls

Messi 2.8
Ronaldo 1.3
Lewandowski 1

Bad controls per game

Messi 1.6
Ronaldo 1.9
Lewandowski 2.4

Passes per game

Messi 64.2
Ronaldo 29.9
Lewandowski 22.8

Pass success rate

Messi 85.1%
Ronaldo 82.1%
Lewandowski 77.2%

For what it's worth I'd still pick Lewandowsi and his 41 goals in 29 games...but the idea that Messi hasn't been good this year is nonsense.
Take away dribbling and how good would a lot of great players be rated? Giggs, Ronaldinho, Figo, Best, Iniesta, Zidane Etc. Apart from being a skill that makes players hard to stop it also provides entertainment to the fans.

tomaldinho1

Guy won the CL and Euros, he played injured in that final as well, lost the final of the FA cup and has generally been great for Chelsea/Italy.

Just because he’s not in an attacking position that bumps stats shouldn’t discount him.

amolbhatia50k

✔third in La Liga,

Typical Facebook whatsapp/ post - utter tripe.

amolbhatia50k

Guy won the CL and Euros, he played injured in that final as well, lost the final of the FA cup and has generally been great for Chelsea/Italy.

Just because he’s not in an attacking position that bumps stats shouldn’t discount him.
It's still a :lol:

It's not because he isn't an attacker. It's because he isn't a top class player and hence doesn't play at the level of one. It's just pure lazyness to put his team foreward

tomaldinho1

It's still a :lol:

It's not because he isn't an attacker. It's because he isn't a top class player and hence doesn't play at the level of one. It's just pure lazyness to put his team foreward
No one is putting his team forward, it’s individual. Was that a typo?

In his role and position who would you pick over him this year though?

RedDevilPure

✔third in La Liga,

No doubt that is written by a bitter Ronaldo fan. Messi will surely win the Ballon D'Or this year. I feel sorry for Lewandowski as he was robbed of last year's award but as soon as Argentina won the Copa, it was always going to be Messi.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Which makes it even more :lol: worthy for me. This has nothing with his stats which I don't give a feck about but his ability as a player and his performance levels. Nowhere near Ballon d'Or worthy.

amolbhatia50k

No one is putting his team forward, it’s individual. Was that a typo?

In his role and position who would you pick over him this year though?
*Name forward

Which makes it even more :lol: worthy for me. This has nothing with his stats which I don't give a feck about but his ability as a player and his performance levels. Nowhere near Ballon d'Or worthy.
I agree.

He's fine, pretty good player. But come on, he's nowhere near the best performer during the year. The problem is that you win the CL, Euros or WC and people's light up - BALONDOR WORTHY?! If Stones had won both finals would he win it? Of course not. It's ridiculous.

RedDevilPure

Those laughing at Jorginho are just armchair football fans. He was one of Italy's best players in the Euros, played an integral part in Chelsea's CL win, why is it so laughable he is one of the contenders. Not so long ago, Kante was also a shout-in and would have definitely been the favourites if France had won the Euros.