Television Band of Brothers

GloryHunter07

Not least being Winters of course.

Watch the extras DVD. Some good stuff on boot camp.
Albert Blithe is that english actor from Hustle.

Apparently the storyline behind Blithe is incorrect, according to IMDB, he was injured but recovered and went on to fight with another unit in the pacific and was generally a good soldier.

M'n'M

"Keane will be awesome alongside Torres."
Was Blithe the blind dude? I'm shit with names and I've only watched 4 episodes so far.

Forget the fact that I've read the book.

vanthaman

Winner
i just watched all the episodes in the space of 2 days, love every minute of it, can't wait for the pacific next year, i wonder if they will come across any of the soldiers from band of brothers

air_mood

Was Blithe the blind dude? I'm shit with names and I've only watched 4 episodes so far.

Forget the fact that I've read the book.
Yup, Blithe was the dude who claimed he was blind as he was to scared to fight. And his storyline was incorrect. He recovered from his wounds and continued on to fight.

Plenty of the actors are Brits actually. Ross McCall a.k.a Liebgott was another one. Big fan of the series. Must have watched the whole thing 10 times over and that's including the extras and the documentary as well. Who woulda thought ehhh that the guy played Bull Randleman was the best one at impersonating Capt. Dale Dye a.k.a the guy who played Colonel Sink.

"I don't wanna see any fecking smiles or I'll rip your fecking heads off and shit in your god damn neck...."

Alex

i just watched all the episodes in the space of 2 days, love every minute of it, can't wait for the pacific next year, i wonder if they will come across any of the soldiers from band of brothers
:lol:

vanthaman

Winner
what?

i dont mean any of the main characters soldiers obviously, there may have been others who we saw that could have gone to the pacific

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
Just finished the 9th episode...I can't find words for it...:(

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Just finished the 9th episode...I can't find words for it...:(
i think i know the ep you have just finished watching.

Possibly the most powerfull episode of a TV program I have ever seen. When they have to put them back in.... damn, painfull stuff.

I do absolutely love that program though, have watched it a couple of times now. Brilliant story, brilliant acting, brilliantly executed. Just brilliant.

muller

Just watched the first episode last night.

Amazed. Not for a long time was I so enthusiatic about watching the second one. Cant wait for tonight, will be trying to fit in 2 more episodes after the match before I am too tired to appreciate it!

redspoony

I'm consideering getting it on blu-ray. I've seen it and really liked it. £24.99 on Amazon is the beest i've found.

Does it look all that good? I though they added an effect to make it look authentic and grainey, might be wrong though.
You're right.

The effect doesn't detract from the sharpness and the colour.

The Bastogne episode looks especially good.

At the price, you'd be a fool not to indulge!

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
You're right.

The effect doesn't detract from the sharpness and the colour.

The Bastogne episode looks especially good.

At the price, you'd be a fool not to indulge!
i saw it on blu-ray in Zaavi a few months back - was really tempted to buy it, even though i already have it on DVD. decided against the purchase in the end, kinda regret it now!

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Albert Blithe is that english actor from Hustle.

Apparently the storyline behind Blithe is incorrect, according to IMDB, he was injured but recovered and went on to fight with another unit in the pacific and was generally a good soldier.
They also mention this on some of the extras on the Blu-ray version. You can watch all of the episodes with either picture-in-picture video interviews of the actual veterans, or an interactive guide at the bottom of the screen which pops up with additional info.

Blithe's family contacted them to say that his injuries were not life-threatening and that he did indeed recover and fight on in the war.

zain

Believe
Only just got round to watching this (I know right?! where the feck was i?!)..
saw all 10 episodes in the last 2 days....

One word.. Stunning.

What a magnificently made series, the writing, the art direction and photography, acting, the scenes shot... from D-Day till the Eagle's nest, the views were amazing. Television perfection really..

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I thought this was a fantastic series too.

I also heard that the same team would make a similar series but based on either the Gulf War or Afghanistan I think. Anyone know what the name is and whether it's out already?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Major Dick Winters died today. I know he's one of many World War II veterans who've died, but he's a bit special because of Band of Brothers. The man, though he wouldn't admit it, was a hero and deserved the Medal of Honor for the D-Day Campaign. I'll have to rewatch this soon.

The members of Easy Company portrayed give a face to those who fought and died that otherwise we might not get, especially since many veterans have died. Hopefully, he got to enjoy his peace on earth and will enjoy it in Heaven. RIP Major Winters.

Later in the war, one of Mr. Winters's soldiers, Floyd Talbert, wrote a letter to the officer from a hospital in Indiana expressing gratitude for his loyalty and leadership.

"You are loved and will never be forgotten by any soldier that ever served under you," Talbert wrote to Mr. Winters in 1945. "I would follow you into hell."
Post Mortem - Dick Winters dies; WWII hero commanded 'Band of Brothers'

ERICSAGOD

Grumpy Old Git
RIP, Major Dick Winters.

My missus bought me the box set for Christmas, even though I had watched it when it was first shown and loved it, I watched the whole box set again whilst ill over Christmas.

I'm still in awe of the courage these guys were able to show.

To be honest I don't know if I'd have that sort of courage.

Nucks

RT History Department
Yup, Blithe was the dude who claimed he was blind as he was to scared to fight. And his storyline was incorrect. He recovered from his wounds and continued on to fight.

Plenty of the actors are Brits actually. Ross McCall a.k.a Liebgott was another one. Big fan of the series. Must have watched the whole thing 10 times over and that's including the extras and the documentary as well. Who woulda thought ehhh that the guy played Bull Randleman was the best one at impersonating Capt. Dale Dye a.k.a the guy who played Colonel Sink.

"I don't wanna see any fecking smiles or I'll rip your fecking heads off and shit in your god damn neck...."
Blithe turned out to be a good soldier. He volunteered to be lead scout right before he got shot. I thought the end was redeeming.

Bear Attack

I just finished watching this. Truly stunning series. My favorite episode was Bastogne with the medic.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The episode were they discover the concentration camp is one of the best tv episodes ever made.
I've just finished watching the series for the first time and this episode (plus Bastogne) stood out for me. The scene where they find the concentration camp is very powerful and I actually welled up when one of the prisoners started kissing and hugging one of the soldiers. Also at the end of the series when Winters says he served in a company of heroes. :(

Such an incredible series, one of the best I've ever seen.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I've just finished watching the series for the first time and this episode (plus Bastogne) stood out for me. The scene where they find the concentration camp is very powerful and I actually welled up when one of the prisoners started kissing and hugging one of the soldiers. Also at the end of the series when Winters says he served in a company of heroes. :(

Such an incredible series, one of the best I've ever seen.
Yep - incredible is the right word.

Have you watched The Pacific?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yep - incredible is the right word.

Have you watched The Pacific?
For me that missed the human element created by interviewing the actual soldiers at the beginning. It just felt like a drama more than a drama-documentary. The smaller cast didn't help either.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
For me that missed the human element created by interviewing the actual soldiers at the beginning. It just felt like a drama more than a drama-documentary. The smaller cast didn't help either.
Agree - in it's own I think it is an excellent series. But it does pail in comparison to BoB (as do most things, to be fair).

I've read most of the books from the soldiers featured in BoB - really, really good reads.

Cina

The Pacific did interview some of the soldiers. I guess the problem was that by the time it was made (09) a lot of the main soldiers were dead.

I wasn't too gone on The Pacific the first time I saw it, maybe my expectations were too high because of BoB. I watched it again a few years later and found it much better though. Just have to accept that it's a very different show.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The Pacific did interview some of the soldiers. I guess the problem was that by the time it was made (09) a lot of the main soldiers were dead.

I wasn't too gone on The Pacific the first time I saw it, maybe my expectations were too high because of BoB. I watched it again a few years later and found it much better though. Just have to accept that it's a very different show.
Yes they did interview then but the problem for me was that they weren't show me until the very end. It felt more detached from reality compared to BoB because of this imo.

Cina

Yes they did interview then but the problem for me was that they weren't show me until the very end. It felt more detached from reality compared to BoB because of this imo.
I don't understand? They didn't reveal the names of the BoB people until the very end either.

onlyoneunited

The Pacific is good in a diffferent way, it focuses (in my opinion) more on the sheer barbarity of the campaign in the pacific theatre and levels that the soldiers and marines who fought there had to go to just to survive physically and mentally. What makes Band of Brothers stand apart from it is that despite all that is going on around the men of E Coy their element of humanity is still retained. Conversely precisely because of the brutality of the pacific campaign this humanity is missing, which it is hard for many to identify and emphasize with the main characters.

Additionally BoB focuses solely on a Coy of men that naturally will have a bond, this is lacking in The Pacific due to the focus on individual characters as you would be hard pressed to find a Coy of men who stayed intact/who stayed together and alive long enough to make a show about in this theatre.

Just my thoughts.