Television Band of Brothers

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I don't understand? They didn't reveal the names of the BoB people until the very end either.
Am I remembering it wrong? I thought the interviews only appeared at the very end of The Pacific and not at the start of every episode like BoB? It's been a while since I've seen it admittedly. My point about the smaller cast is still the major problem for me though.

Cina

Am I remembering it wrong? I thought the interviews only appeared at the very end of The Pacific and not at the start of every episode like BoB? It's been a while since I've seen it admittedly. My point about the smaller cast is still the major problem for me though.
No - it has interviews throughout. You probably saw an edited version.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
This for me is my favourite show of all time. I can watch it over and over and that concentration episode always gets me. Fantastic show, which imo should be showed to all kids in school as a way to demonstrate what world war 2 really felt like.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Original airing if BoB got overshadowed by 9-11. It premiered on Sept 9th. When the attacks happened HBO stopped all advertising and publicity for the show. The final episode drew only 5million viewers in the US. Luckily HBO stuck with it, showing it again and DVD sales helped drive the overall number of viewers up.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
This for me is my favourite show of all time. I can watch it over and over and that concentration episode always gets me. Fantastic show, which imo should be showed to all kids in school as a way to demonstrate what world war 2 really felt like.
It's probably mine too. I wish i still had the Blu-ray boxset.

The concentration camp episode and the one in the forests when they're getting bombarded from the air are two of the most powerful pieces of programming I've ever seen.

Auschwitz was horrible to go and see as a tourist, let alone a soldier with no prior knowledge of what they were witnessing, straight after a battle.

ZAGREB RED

It's probably mine too. I wish i still had the Blu-ray boxset.

The concentration camp episode and the one in the forests when they're getting bombarded from the air are two of the most powerful pieces of programming I've ever seen.

Auschwitz was horrible to go and see as a tourist, let alone a soldier with no prior knowledge of what they were witnessing, straight after a battle.
My Grandad was liberated from a POW camp in Germany by the US Army when the war ended, he went with some of the American soldiers to a concentration camp nearby (forget the name and he's not around to ask, possibly Buchenwald) he said that if he hadn't seen it with his own eyes he wouldn't have believed it, what men were capable of doing to other human beings....I don't think I could go to someplace like Auschwitz myself to be honest.
Never watched BoB or The Pacific, but gave my Dad the box sets so might give them a go, looking for something to watch just now with a war theme, just watched the 2005 Colditz TV miniseries the other day, the one with Damian Lewis and Tom Hardy. A bit average and soap opera-like at times, but not bad. Damian Lewis' Scots accent is hilarious, brilliant stereotype the red-haired, lazy, womanizing, whisky swilling Scotsman. He sounds like the school janitor off The Simpsons at times...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Had a meal with one of the stars of this a few weeks back. Didn't know til afterwards. Nice guy.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It might be the racist in me but I tried watching this a few years back but couldnt get into it as all the characters looked the same to me once they were in army gear :lol:

ZAGREB RED

You should give them a go. I don't think many would argue BoB is by far the best TV show/film of its genre.
Watched first 3 episodes of BoB today, brilliant so far....the scenes with Marc Warren are a bit eerie, also the scene with the German soldier getting splatted under the tank tracks.....will watch The Pacific next.
Thought I'd given my Dad the box sets of both as presents few years ago, turns out it was the books, so had a look on Amazon there is a box set of BoB/The Pacific for £20 so will probably buy it.

Wittmann45

The Pacific is good in a diffferent way, it focuses (in my opinion) more on the sheer barbarity of the campaign in the pacific theatre and levels that the soldiers and marines who fought there had to go to just to survive physically and mentally. What makes Band of Brothers stand apart from it is that despite all that is going on around the men of E Coy their element of humanity is still retained. Conversely precisely because of the brutality of the pacific campaign this humanity is missing, which it is hard for many to identify and emphasize with the main characters.

Additionally BoB focuses solely on a Coy of men that naturally will have a bond, this is lacking in The Pacific due to the focus on individual characters as you would be hard pressed to find a Coy of men who stayed intact/who stayed together and alive long enough to make a show about in this theatre.

Just my thoughts.
Completely agree

Band of Brothers is based upon a historian's, a popular historian, take on the company. I haven't read BoB, but I assume it has a lot of facts mixed in with some clever story telling and funny/meaningful anecdotes. The Pacific is based upon autobiographies, and I think the tone is derived from the fact that these stories are a soldier's interpretations of his actions after years of festering and deep analysis. BoB's dialogue felt more natural and the story was better paced whereas I felt like the Pacific was more nuanced, and the conversations pertained to each soldier having an existential crisis in the face of the brutality of war. In BoB, you see war weariness, but its mainly characters losing the life in their eyes, or Webster yelling at the German PoWs; its more subtle and more believable. I think I got caught up in the characters of the Pacific having these real, troubling discussions about the war they were fighting. They felt like characters who had much more time to reflect on the war they were fighting, and much more time to deal with the struggles they were having killing other humans and being turned into trained, ruthless killers.

You do get that aspect of individual soldiers reflecting upon their actions years later in BoB, but it is more meaningful because it involves actual interviews with the soldiers who fought in the battles you are about to see being depicted. Some of those interviews are really chilling (ie, Donald Malarkey, the actual person, crying while retelling the story of his friends dying saying "and you never forget it." That had more impact on me then any scene in all of the Pacific)

It might be the racist in me but I tried watching this a few years back but couldnt get into it as all the characters looked the same to me once they were in army gear :lol:
I feel that BoB needs a second viewing, at least. The soldiers they focused on; mainly Winters, Nixon, Lipton, and Spiers, among others I can't really remember, were really distinct characters on first viewing. Others, like Percontie, Bull, Toye, and Bill Guarnere were kind of distinct as well because of their physical characteristics (literally, Bull being fat, and the others being significantly shorter) or strong character development. A lot of the others just got lost in the shuffle. Characters like Webster and Roye were relatively indistinguishable without the episodes that focused almost exclusively on their situation. Even a strong character like Malarkey, who I really connected with and felt sympathy for upon further viewings; his story kind of got lost when I first saw the series.

On first viewing, although it is great, it is tough to feel an emotional attachment to an entire company of soldiers when you can't tell them apart. Plus, some of the battle scenes are so faat paced and so chaotic that you don't see the full ramifications of any action without a more detailed, further viewing. I watched it at first when I was much younger and I felt like I missed a lot of what made the series great. Upon second, and third, and forth, etc, viewings, I have a much greater appreciation for it as a whole, and for each (well, maybe not each, but a lot of different soldiers) character's unique development

Last edited:

GloryHunter07

The Pacific is good in a diffferent way, it focuses (in my opinion) more on the sheer barbarity of the campaign in the pacific theatre and levels that the soldiers and marines who fought there had to go to just to survive physically and mentally. What makes Band of Brothers stand apart from it is that despite all that is going on around the men of E Coy their element of humanity is still retained. Conversely precisely because of the brutality of the pacific campaign this humanity is missing, which it is hard for many to identify and emphasize with the main characters.

Additionally BoB focuses solely on a Coy of men that naturally will have a bond, this is lacking in The Pacific due to the focus on individual characters as you would be hard pressed to find a Coy of men who stayed intact/who stayed together and alive long enough to make a show about in this theatre.

Just my thoughts.
Good post. The Pacific is definitely darker and more horifying. Definitely gave me more of a sense of "how the hell did the keep going, keep putting themselves in dabger with all of the horror going on.

Nucks

RT History Department
Completely agree

Band of Brothers is based upon a historian's, a popular historian, take on the company. I haven't read BoB, but I assume it has a lot of facts mixed in with some clever story telling and funny/meaningful anecdotes. The Pacific is based upon autobiographies, and I think the tone is derived from the fact that these stories are a soldier's interpretations of his actions after years of festering and deep analysis. BoB's dialogue felt more natural and the story was better paced whereas I felt like the Pacific was more nuanced, and the conversations pertained to each soldier having an existential crisis in the face of the brutality of war. In BoB, you see war weariness, but its mainly characters losing the life in their eyes, or Webster yelling at the German PoWs; its more subtle and more believable. I think I got caught up in the characters of the Pacific having these real, troubling discussions about the war they were fighting. They felt like characters who had much more time to reflect on the war they were fighting, and much more time to deal with the struggles they were having killing other humans and being turned into trained, ruthless killers.

You do get that aspect of individual soldiers reflecting upon their actions years later in BoB, but it is more meaningful because it involves actual interviews with the soldiers who fought in the battles you are about to see being depicted. Some of those interviews are really chilling (ie, Donald Malarkey, the actual person, crying while retelling the story of his friends dying saying "and you never forget it." That had more impact on me then any scene in all of the Pacific)

I feel that BoB needs a second viewing, at least. The soldiers they focused on; mainly Winters, Nixon, Lipton, and Spiers, among others I can't really remember, were really distinct characters on first viewing. Others, like Percontie, Bull, Toye, and Bill Guarnere were kind of distinct as well because of their physical characteristics (literally, Bull being fat, and the others being significantly shorter) or strong character development. A lot of the others just got lost in the shuffle. Characters like Webster and Roye were relatively indistinguishable without the episodes that focused almost exclusively on their situation. Even a strong character like Malarkey, who I really connected with and felt sympathy for upon further viewings; his story kind of got lost when I first saw the series.

On first viewing, although it is great, it is tough to feel an emotional attachment to an entire company of soldiers when you can't tell them apart. Plus, some of the battle scenes are so faat paced and so chaotic that you don't see the full ramifications of any action without a more detailed, further viewing. I watched it at first when I was much younger and I felt like I missed a lot of what made the series great. Upon second, and third, and forth, etc, viewings, I have a much greater appreciation for it as a whole, and for each (well, maybe not each, but a lot of different soldiers) character's unique development
Something people need to realize about BoB especially, is that the author is Stephen Ambrose was an unashamed fanboy of the WW2 generation, and it was later discovered after his death that he was a liar and a massive plagiarist. So how does this relate to BoB? BoB is not history. It should not be considered history. It isn't fiction either. It is a collection of highly biased anecdotal stories from a very small clique within the company itself. In short, these stories are invested in making their own legend.

When Ambrose wrote the book, there was no journalism going on, he was like a school boy hanging out with people he idolized and worshiped. He took everything they said at face value, questioned nothing. Now, I'm not bashing BoB, it is my favorite series of all time. It's amazing. However I also recognize that it is embellished and a very narrow view of what happened. The treatment of Sobel in the book and the series is extremely problematic and revealing of this. The view we have of Sobel from the book and the series is that he is an incompetent, self important, egotist who would have gotten a lot of people killed. Yet, there are other veterans from Easy company who did not figure in the book, who held Sobel as a strategic mastermind, who turned Easy Company into the fighting force they were, saved countless lives through the training measures he took, and as a result lost his NCO's. History would seek to report both sides of this and reconcile this difference of opinion within the company.

BoB is entertaining, it is an amazing recount of that company's involvement in WW2, but it is a biased recollection. To be fair, I don't believe that it pretends to be anything other than just a story, but a lot of people get caught up in idea of "this is history and a true story", and forget the part where this is history and part of a true story from the perspective of a handful of guys out of 100 or more.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Something people need to realize about BoB especially, is that the author is Stephen Ambrose was an unashamed fanboy of the WW2 generation, and it was later discovered after his death that he was a liar and a massive plagiarist. So how does this relate to BoB? BoB is not history. It should not be considered history. It isn't fiction either. It is a collection of highly biased anecdotal stories from a very small clique within the company itself. In short, these stories are invested in making their own legend.

When Ambrose wrote the book, there was no journalism going on, he was like a school boy hanging out with people he idolized and worshiped. He took everything they said at face value, questioned nothing. Now, I'm not bashing BoB, it is my favorite series of all time. It's amazing. However I also recognize that it is embellished and a very narrow view of what happened. The treatment of Sobel in the book and the series is extremely problematic and revealing of this. The view we have of Sobel from the book and the series is that he is an incompetent, self important, egotist who would have gotten a lot of people killed. Yet, there are other veterans from Easy company who did not figure in the book, who held Sobel as a strategic mastermind, who turned Easy Company into the fighting force they were, saved countless lives through the training measures he took, and as a result lost his NCO's. History would seek to report both sides of this and reconcile this difference of opinion within the company.

BoB is entertaining, it is an amazing recount of that company's involvement in WW2, but it is a biased recollection. To be fair, I don't believe that it pretends to be anything other than just a story, but a lot of people get caught up in idea of "this is history and a true story", and forget the part where this is history and part of a true story from the perspective of a handful of guys out of 100 or more.
I think in both Ambrose's book, and in the majority of the other books from members of Easy Company, they all actually give Sobel enormous credit for, as you said, "turning Easy Company into the fighting force they were, saved countless lives through the training measures he took".

They all also say he was incredibly petty - but also subsequently recognized that this created an extremely strong bond between the men that was not shared by those who joined the company after their basic training at Camp Toccoa. The question of whether a slightly different approach would have made him more liked, but less effective is tough to answer.

I found this article on Sobel based on an interview with his son:

http://www.marcusbrotherton.com/unvarnished-truth-captain-herbert-sobel/

I like this bit:

In 2002, Michael ended up as an impromptu guest speaker at the Easy Company reunion in Arizona. One of the men’s sons hugged him through tears and said, “My father told me that if I ever had the honor of meeting you to let you know that it was because of your father that I’m alive today.”

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Hmmm, maybe I should give The Pacific another go after reading some comments in here. I watched it not long after BoB and couldn't get into it, so I never finished it.

JustAFan

Even soldiers who are portrayed as hating Sobel in the book and film will also state that they know he was responsible in so many ways for the creation of Easy Company as a fighting force. It has been over a decade since I read the book but I do not remember whether the book portrayed him as being out of shape or not. Supposedly some of the soldiers paid for Sobel's membership in the 101st Airborne veterans group that organized reunions and such. I think the thing to come away with was that he was an excellent trainer of soldiers, but not necessarily a great leader of men.

Nucks

RT History Department
I think in both Ambrose's book, and in the majority of the other books from members of Easy Company, they all actually give Sobel enormous credit for, as you said, "turning Easy Company into the fighting force they were, saved countless lives through the training measures he took".

They all also say he was incredibly petty - but also subsequently recognized that this created an extremely strong bond between the men that was not shared by those who joined the company after their basic training at Camp Toccoa. The question of whether a slightly different approach would have made him more liked, but less effective is tough to answer.

I found this article on Sobel based on an interview with his son:

http://www.marcusbrotherton.com/unvarnished-truth-captain-herbert-sobel/

I like this bit:
Something else I've heard reported anecdotally. Sobel was known in Easy Company as "That fecking Jew" or other epithets of a similar nature. We have to remember, this was a different time, racism in the United States was still largely institutionalized. Ya, our fathers and grandfathers helped liberate concentration camps, but many, if not most of them still hated Jews, they just wouldn't uh, murder them by the millions.

One of the questions I've often had is, how much was the perception of Sobel by other members of Easy shaded by this socially acceptable for the time form of racism. It's always been a chicken or the egg story for me. Was Sobel really an asshole? Were the men under him typical of men of that period, not radically anti-semitic, but anti-semitic all the same and Sobel was a dick because they were dicks? Was Sobel and asshole and were they mostly racist assholes unwilling to accept that he was their CO?

Sobel from what I've read, actually ended up jumping into Normandy, was wounded, was awarded a bronze star I think, served throughout the rest of the war seemingly with little issue, and was even recalled to the Airborne for Korea where he retired a Lt Colonel. If he was as incompetent as indicated, and as unpopular, it seems unlikely he would have been recalled to Korea and made a Lt Colonel. There is just something about the whole thing that seems unsavory.

JustAFan

Something else I've heard reported anecdotally. Sobel was known in Easy Company as "That fecking Jew" or other epithets of a similar nature. We have to remember, this was a different time, racism in the United States was still largely institutionalized. Ya, our fathers and grandfathers helped liberate concentration camps, but many, if not most of them still hated Jews, they just wouldn't uh, murder them by the millions.

One of the questions I've often had is, how much was the perception of Sobel by other members of Easy shaded by this socially acceptable for the time form of racism. It's always been a chicken or the egg story for me. Was Sobel really an asshole? Were the men under him typical of men of that period, not radically anti-semitic, but anti-semitic all the same and Sobel was a dick because they were dicks? Was Sobel and asshole and were they mostly racist assholes unwilling to accept that he was their CO?

Sobel from what I've read, actually ended up jumping into Normandy, was wounded, was awarded a bronze star I think, served throughout the rest of the war seemingly with little issue, and was even recalled to the Airborne for Korea where he retired a Lt Colonel. If he was as incompetent as indicated, and as unpopular, it seems unlikely he would have been recalled to Korea and made a Lt Colonel. There is just something about the whole thing that seems unsavory.
Patton was a jerk and made General. I read he reached the rank of Lt Colonel while in the peace time National Guard. It is very likely that while an excellent training officer and good at logistics he might not have been a good combat officer.

But none of us served under him so end of the day we just have the views of those who served under him.

ZAGREB RED

Got the double box set of BoB/Pacific, finished BoB, loved it, brilliant. Almost done The Pacific, great as well, but BoB edges it for me. I still think Platoon is the best war movie ever, but BoB would be the best WWII one.

ZAGREB RED

Finished The Pacific today, that part of the WWII conflict was definitely a lot more brutal and bloody than the European one looked for sure.

vanthaman

Winner
Been going through this again, don't think any other tv shows or even some movies come close to the production on this.

Going to re watch the Pacific afterwards, not even sure if I ever finished the Pacific actually

Been going through this again, don't think any other tv shows or even some movies come close to the production on this.

Going to re watch the Pacific afterwards, not even sure if I ever finished the
Pacific actually
Tried the pacific twice, always lost interest around the 4-5th episode, just couldn't get fully invested.

BoB is the best series I've ever seen.

JustAFan

Love this series. Probably watched it start to finish at least 10 times along with viewings of random episodes when I caught it airing on TV.

In the US it premiered right before 9/11, the Sunday before in fact. I think this had an effect on the original viewing numbers, but many who missed it the first time around were able to watch it in later runs.

Also down to 14 living members of Easy Company

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Easy_Company_(506_PIR)_veterans

If you read the book you will find out about Fritz Niland, who had two brothers who died on D-Day with a third who was missing in Burma but was actually captured by the Japanese. Private Ryan in the movie "Saving Private Ryan" was loosely based on Fritz Niland.

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Finished this tonight. Nothing to add to what's been said, just wish I'd watched it ten years ago so I could have watched it a few more times since.

Redo91

Any sign of Sky to show this again? Been meaning to watch this for years and was going to buy he box set. Just recently got Sky so won't bother if they show it on a regular basis.

Member 39557

Any sign of Sky to show this again? Been meaning to watch this for years and was going to buy he box set. Just recently got Sky so won't bother if they show it on a regular basis.
Sky Atlantic showed it a couple of months back. Keep your eyes peeled, they might rerun it again soon?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Search for it in the search box, might have it on demand.

JustAFan

Now obviously BoB and The Pacific focus on the experiences of a small group of military personnel from the US. Have there been any similar series done about troops for the UK, Russia or any other allied nation?

Have read over the years several discussions have been had regarding more series along the lines of these two. One idea was to follow members of an Air Force squadron (mostly like a Bomber squadron) in Europe. Another idea I read about was to focus on crew members of a particular warship in the Pacific (the USS Enterprise was mentioned as a possibility and no not the Enterprise from Star Trek).

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Now obviously BoB and The Pacific focus on the experiences of a small group of military personnel from the US. Have there been any similar series done about troops for the UK, Russia or any other allied nation?

Have read over the years several discussions have been had regarding more series along the lines of these two. One idea was to follow members of an Air Force squadron (mostly like a Bomber squadron) in Europe. Another idea I read about was to focus on crew members of a particular warship in the Pacific (the USS Enterprise was mentioned as a possibility and no not the Enterprise from Star Trek).
Haven't heard of any - but agree it would be very cool to series series' focusing on other parts of the military.

I would love to see one made about The Few - Spitfire and Hurricane pilots during the Battle of Britain.

JustAFan