Barca agree £6m fee for Pique

Alex

fecking handled in the area which was a leno 99 out of 100 times

davisjw

Has impressed me greatly these past two games. Has a wicked long ball to him and reads the ball like a seasoned pro. If they could find a hardman like Vidic to line-up next to him it'd be a lot sturdier ship in the back...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Evans and Pique (at this rate) would have made the perfect future partnership if we didn't already have Rio and Vidic. It's too bad he left.
Rio and Vida will remain first-choice for years to come. No chance we could have kept Evans AND Pique happy to wait that long so we had to make a choice. I'm absolutely convinced we held onto the right centre-half. Evans has always looked much better suited to PL football.

Tribec

I think the problem was trying to keep hold of the two of them. Pique would have made it with us, but we have plenty of depth at centre back, with Craig Cathcart due back next season. If he returns to the club a better player than he left after playing regular first team football, we've got a hell of a player on our hands.

For me Cathcart is a better prospect than Evans, but only time will tell on that one. I wait with baited breath to see if this season has helped him improve.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
The decision was easy and no regrets. Pique had a year left on his contract from my recollection and was going to leave, either a year later or not too far in the distant future. He wasn't going to break up the Rio/Vidic partnership and with multiple clubs willing to give him starting opportunities, he was destined to leave. Also, Evans was more suited to England and he was ready to request a transfer. SAF saw which player suited United and chose wisely.

Merman

The decision was easy and no regrets. Pique had a year left on his contract from my recollection and was going to leave, either a year later or not too far in the distant future. He wasn't going to break up the Rio/Vidic partnership and with multiple clubs willing to give him starting opportunities, he was destined to leave. Also, Evans was more suited to England and he was ready to request a transfer. SAF saw which player suited United and chose wisely.
Agree. I can't wait for the Foster-Rafael-Evans-Another defender-Fabio backline:drool:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Great business by Barca.

We got butt-fecked again in the transfer market. Always liked Pique.
£6m for a lad with one year left on his contract isn't a great deal, and we definitely didn't get buttfecked.

Chapster

6m for a player in the last year of his contract is not bad at all

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Sid Lowe on Pique in The Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/24/gerard-pique-barcelona-champions-league

I like this bit:

Roy Keane, meanwhile, terrified him. On one occasion, Piqué's mobile started vibrating in the dressing room. Keane went ballistic, ripping clothes from their pegs, rummaging in pockets, screaming that he would kill the man responsible. Luckily, it rang off before Keane reached Piqué's trousers. A relieved man, he told friends he had never felt closer to death.

Longsden_7

Good article that, just had a nice coffee and read the rag.

Future barca captain ?!