Barca agree £6m fee for Pique

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Pissed at this.

Followed the reserves for years...we've sold every decent player we've developed/ brought in and developed young

What's the point in watching our reserves these days?
There is no point, same old shit with Fergie and Queiroz, they talk about hoow great our reserves our yet none of them get a fecking chance.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Do you think Ferguson is going to hold on to a young player when he is not going to play, he probably wants him to be as succesful as we do. If he is going to get more oppurtunities at Barca then maybe he will fulfill his talent. He wont do that here with Ferdinand and Vidic present for the next 5 years. Not everyone is happy with being a back up here just because we are MUFC believe it or not.

twitter thread suggester
We sold Richardson for £5.5 mill to a newly promoted side, Hoyte is rumoured on his way to Villa for around £5 mill - and we only get £4 mill for one of the most promising talents in Spain, and we are even dealing with Barcelona who should if anything be paying overprice when trying to grab a youngster from one of the other G14 clubs (even if that doesn't officially exists anymore).

Seems odd to me, 1 year remaining contract or not - and Rich and Hoyte might be English, but they are also both incredibly shite, well Hoyte is anyway.

Then again, we probably don't know much about player's values, but still seems odd.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
£6m for the futur number 1 CB in the world

what a fecking joke !

We should have extended his contract last year :rolleyes:
Are you mental? He's not that good. Jonny Evans has far more potential than him.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Whats the point of even having a fecking youth team.
Agreed.

First Rossi, now Pique.

2 players in our youth with the most potential to become stars, yet we let them go easily on the cheap.

What a fecking joke.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Are you mental? He's not that good. Jonny Evans has far more potential than him.
I agreed with the forst half of your post, but not the second.

Pique did superbly well at Zaragoza whilst there, Evans has done well at Sunderland, without really showing everyone what he is capable of.

unitedgogi

Good player but I had bigger expectations on him two years ago. We have only place for one of him and Evans considering we also got Brown who has been very good this season.

Agree that the fee seems a bit too low though.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
£6 mill is an absolutely terrible price for a youngster of his standard. Especially considering the callibre of club coming in for him.

How much do you reckon we'd be quoted if it was from Barca to here?

I reckon at least £10 mill.
he had a year left on his contract - you would barely get 10 for rooney with only a year left - and he came from there for nothing - imagine we lost a 17 year old to them and had to buy him back for 4-6m - you'd still be livid I imagine?

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
£6m for the futur number 1 CB in the world

what a fecking joke !

We should have extended his contract last year :rolleyes:
You have nothing to judge that on, he has hardly played for us. If he was the future world No1 he would have displaced Rio and Vidic as well as seperate himself from Evans. :rolleyes:

Sam Atherton

"They rested their balls on our chins and bru
he had a year left on his contract - you would barely get 10 for rooney with only a year left - and he came from there for nothing - imagine we lost a 17 year old to them and had to buy him back for 4-6m - you'd still be livid I imagine?
Not at all, if said youngster had Pique's potential and we were getting him for that only much money i'd probably be celebrating a magnificent piece of business on our part. Particularly baring in mind the other club would have continued his development while he was there.

As for the Rooney comment, you're mad if you think he would leave for that uch with only a year left!

That said the contract situation would have undoubtedly made Pique's fee shorter. Still feel its low though.

GE

Look what Wenger has done with the likes of Fabregas and Clichy.

If only we could have done the same with Pique and Rossi.

They'll both be world class players someday, but they wont be playing for United.

Gutted.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Agreed.

First Rossi, now Pique.

2 players in our youth with the most potential to become stars, yet we let them go easily on the cheap.

What a fecking joke.
United bought them for about £500 000 and then sold them for over £10 million and possible sell on clauses. Not exactly sold on the cheap. It's easy to understand why United try to poach cheap talents from Italy and Spain. They either become members of the squad or sold for a big profit.

Kiwi Red

Agreed.

First Rossi, now Pique.

1. Pique > Evans. Fergie obviously thinks so, otherwise why let Evans go out on loan, and keep Pique at United for the season run-in.

2. Completely agree with the above post. In Rossi and Pique, we have (had) two of the best young players in the world, yet we're not prepared to play them enough. In 5 years time, when Pique rules the Spanish backline and Rossi is starting up front for the Azzuri, we will look back and reflect on two stupid decisions.

3. There is still hope. So far, it's only tabloid speculation. There are No official quotes from either Barcelona or United and nothing on the official website, so the deal is not finalised yet. Certainly things don't bode well, but as there's nothing official yet, we mustn't get too worked up.

If it does go through, and we lose Pique, we can then throw an absolute tantrum!! :mad:

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
How do you think smaller clubs feel when their bright, exciting young talent is pinched by clubs like United and Chelsea for next to nothing?

United have Rio bleedin' Ferdinand, I'm sure they'll cope.

twitter thread suggester
3. There is still hope. So far, it's only tabloid speculation. There are No official quotes from either Barcelona or United and nothing on the official website, so the deal is not finalised yet. Certainly things don't bode well, but as there's nothing official yet, we mustn't get too worked up.
The Daily Mail has it down as:
Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola confirms deal for promising young Spaniard Gerard Pique

Why they don't quote him in the actual article looks a bit bogey though.

Kelvin

If it wasn't true, why haven't we come out and deny it, the deal is obviously close to being completed.

GE

I don't see the point of us signing youth players from Spain/Italy to be honest. Simply because they'll never get the chance at United.

Since Giggs, Scholes, Beckham etc... what players have been successful coming through the ranks at United? The same can be said about Liverpool, Chelsea and so on...

kundalini

Look what Wenger has done with the likes of Fabregas and Clichy.

If only we could have done the same with Pique and Rossi.

They'll both be world class players someday, but they wont be playing for United.

Gutted.
Our priority is to win the premiership, which Sir Alex has achieved in the last two seasons. Wenger's priority is different. He is prepared to take more risks in the hope of developing a great side of the future.

How exactly are we meant to give Pique the opportunities he needs to develop without throwing away so many points that we have little chance of winning the title? I happen to like him and Rossi but there is no obvious solution to the problem. They are too good to stay but not good enough to merit a place in the side on a regular basis.

If Pique wants to stay and maybe start 10 premiership games next season then no doubt Sir Alex would have been delighted. But if he wants to start 20 or 25 league matches then it just wasn't going to happen. Same with Rossi.

Ekeke

I'm still hoping its not true and that he'll be our player next season. Won't (Or dont want to believe it) till its on the official site...

Truth is, if Barcelona have come in for him, he may have asked to leave. With his contract situation we really did leave ourselves open to this...

£4 million is still piss poor regardless of the contract though as he'll soon be worth 3 times that. He'll go on to be a fantastic defender/midfielder in La Liga.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I don't see the point of us signing youth players from Spain/Italy to be honest. Simply because they'll never get the chance at United.

Since Giggs, Scholes, Beckham etc... what players have been successful coming through the ranks at United? The same can be said about Liverpool, Chelsea and so on...
The only one I can think of is Brown, other than that I'm at a loss.

Cal?

CR7 fan
With just a year left in his contract, it's not a bad deal...

GE

Evans, Welbeck and the Brazilian twins are next in line.

Can anyone actually see them becoming first team starters in years to come?

I really hope Welbeck will be given the chance to shine next season.

Longlivekeano

Pique is a defender who is good in the air, distributes the ball well BUT he is as slow as Kewell's stepovers and has been skinned many times by any forward with half-decent pace. In the break-neck pace of the EPL, Fergie must surely have felt that Pique could not cope. Remember, Fergie even sold Stam when he thought that the Dutchman had lost a yard or two of pace after his injury.

Furthermore, his relative inexperience could cost United points especially since he is playing in a crucial position (CB) rather than fullback where mistakes are not so costly. I've seen Pique being pulled in all sorts of positions by opponents when he started for United, that left Rio isolated in the box.

This move (if it happens) would probably be for the better of both parties.
1. Pique wont have to feel disappointed and kick his heels on the bench again while waiting for an opportunity to break into a solid defensive axis of Rio-Vidic (or Brown).

2. Pique's style of play is probably more suited to the Spanish Liga where the pace is not too searing. In all redpect, I think he will be a big star for Barca in the League but not in Europe.

3. The low transfer fee is firstly because Pique is not English, secondly because Fergie does not want to make it difficult for his player to leave. Fergie sets low transfer fees for players whom he has a persoanl affiliaiotn to and so would not try to scupper their transfer and chances of first team football by setting ridiculously high fees that might turn clubs away. This has been the case with Nicky Butt (5-7 million only for an English international and glittering trophy cabinet), Phil Neville (only 3 million, must be Everton's bragain signing apart from cahill) and Tom Howard.

All in all, I think this proposed move is a win-win situation for both Pique and United.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Meh. I've been really disappointed in him this season. His lack of pace and mobility was exposed in almost every reserve team game he played and he had a shocker in the only first-team game he started.

He might yet go on to develop into a top player but, with Wes Brown signing another contract and Evans kicking on so impressively at Sunderland, chances are Pique was going nowhere at United.

As for the transfer fee. Liverpool paid 6m for Agger. That's a reasonable fee for a young, un-proven central defender.

GE

Our priority is to win the premiership, which Sir Alex has achieved in the last two seasons. Wenger's priority is different. He is prepared to take more risks in the hope of developing a great side of the future.

How exactly are we meant to give Pique the opportunities he needs to develop without throwing away so many points that we have little chance of winning the title? I happen to like him and Rossi but there is no obvious solution to the problem. They are too good to stay but not good enough to merit a place in the side on a regular basis.

If Pique wants to stay and maybe start 10 premiership games next season then no doubt Sir Alex would have been delighted. But if he wants to start 20 or 25 league matches then it just wasn't going to happen. Same with Rossi.
Yeah, i agree with what you're saying. It's hard for Fergie to give them a decent amount of games per season as the demand to win matches in this league is very high.

kanchelskis14

Agree, but in fairness, we had Rio and other senior defenders around when we bought them.

I mean, it would be a bit silly to sell Possebon in two years because, while being a brilliant young player, he can't play because of Scholes, Anderson, Carrick, Hargreaves etc. Why sign him then, we knew we had good senior players?

I have said on here before that at United, kids are better off being bought for millions by us after another club has taken the chance on them. At least they can come here and demand to be in the running. Coming from our own youth team is different though. Someone like Carrick, for instance, would probably have never come through as a United reserve a few years back.

That said, it's the reality of being a very top club nowadays, in a competitive league. The kids won't play unless we have games and seasons wrapped up well in advance, which is unlikely to happen.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
6 million is a good fee for a player who next season will be 4th choice in the centre back stakes behind Rio, Vida and Wes. Also gives Evans a chance who's got far more potential IMO

twitter thread suggester
As for the transfer fee. Liverpool paid 6m for Agger. That's a reasonable fee for a young, un-proven central defender.
Pogue there's a big difference between being sold by Brondby IF in Denmark and then Manchester United in England.

Sam

Meh. I've been really disappointed in him this season. His lack of pace and mobility was exposed in almost every reserve team game he played and he had a shocker in the only first-team game he started.

He might yet go on to develop into a top player but, with Wes Brown signing another contract and Evans kicking on so impressively at Sunderland, chances are Pique was going nowhere at United.

Pogue, your back, where have you been?

Anyway, I'd pretty much agree with that.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
1. Pique > Evans. Fergie obviously thinks so, otherwise why let Evans go out on loan, and keep Pique at United for the season run-in.
Evans got injured, and without the mickey mouse cup to play in, needed games. Sending him on loan was the right thing to do. It should also be noted that he is younger than Pique so a loan is beneficial for experience too.

2. Completely agree with the above post. In Rossi and Pique, we have (had) two of the best young players in the world, yet we're not prepared to play them enough. In 5 years time, when Pique rules the Spanish backline and Rossi is starting up front for the Azzuri, we will look back and reflect on two stupid decisions.
Reading between the lines, both players wanted guaranteed, regular, first team action. For Pique he has Rio and Vidic, the best CB pairing in possibly Europe barring his way. He's had a taste of playing back home last season, and now the biggest club in Spain, 'his' club come calling. Its not hard to understand his reasons for wanting to go.

Likewise Rossi, he wanted out as SAF could not give him the amount of playing time he wanted, with Rooney & Tevez ahead of him in the queue. They haven't done badly this season now have they?

It might seem like doom and gloom for the reserve players, but when you look at the reasons individually, theres nothing really that the management can do. Theres no point keeping unhappy players