Barca must sell €124m in players this season

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What alternatives are there when you have the best player of this generation in your ranks delivering to a point he's still a sure thing - perhaps the surest thing in football, still - whilst others around him are the ones floundering?

It's a catch 22, but Messi and his wage vis-a-vis the returns (on and off the pitch) really isn't the problem, imo.

Barca's mismanagement orbits Messi, if you will.
There is always an alternative, it would just take crazy cojones to stand firm during negotiations and not give into Messi's ever increasing wage demands. At some point, they will regret this massively (already paying the price in the CL in some way as their squad keeps getting weaker year after year)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
There is always an alternative, it would just take crazy cojones to stand firm during negotiations and not give into Messi's ever increasing wage demands. At some point, they will regret this massively (already paying the price in the CL in some way as their squad keeps getting weaker year after year)
But again you're blaming/focusing on Messi, not everything around him that has fallen apart with a host of 1st teamers of theirs not delivering.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Dembele needs permanently swerving just for those 2 shocking misses late on v Liverpool in the semis last year.
Basically his fault Liverpool had any chance of a comeback in them!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
But again you're blaming/focusing on Messi, not everything around him that has fallen apart with a host of 1st teamers of theirs not delivering.
I haven't blamed him. He is right to ask for as much as possible. Who do you think I was talking about when I mentioned "cojones" ?
I would bleed them dry too.

Lee565

Problem is that is a massive downgrade for a Barca player to go from there to us in our current situation. we have to be really realistic that if we are still languishing in the bottom half of the table with the same manager then we will have huge limitations on getting players to join us.

Zlatattack

Problem is that is a massive downgrade for a Barca player to go from there to us in our current situation. we have to be really realistic that if we are still languishing in the bottom half of the table with the same manager then we will have huge limitations on getting players to join us.
Things are really bad, but i suspect they'll get better soon.

1. We'll have a boost with the return of Pogba, Martial and Shaw from injury.
2. We'll sack the manager at some point and bring someone else in.

It might be soon enough to get a player like this in Jan, but maybe the summer?

Lee565

Things are really bad, but i suspect they'll get better soon.

1. We'll have a boost with the return of Pogba, Martial and Shaw from injury.
2. We'll sack the manager at some point and bring someone else in.

It might be soon enough to get a player like this in Jan, but maybe the summer?
I would be optimistic about the team getting better when the likes of martial and pogba return but when we are struggling to open up the likes of rochdale and Astana in the same manner that we have struggled in the premier league I cant see these players making a big difference.

JohnnyKills

This has been brewing for a while. Years of poor commercial management and bad signings have created a timebomb. Recently they were spending 70% of their turnover on wages (that might still be the case).

Can see them going through a tough few years once Messi leaves.

SATA

Dembele is rubbish. Absolutely no mentality to succeed at the highest level. A worse version of Martial in this aspect if you like

Coutinho is good but he will probably be another deadwood in two years. So better to stay away from their problems

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
They have been forced to make the sale of players each year a priority for their financial model to work. The amount they must bring in this season has been fixed at €124m to ensure they don't end the year in the red. If that were to happen, club members could push for the board's removal."
So I guess that's how serious it is. If they don't manage to do it some club members might be dissatisfied.

koop

Right.

124m+[Insert Player] for Messi.

Gogogo.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Quite doable for Barça. 134M€ nowadays are almost like 50M€ 5 years ago

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
No they won´t. There isn´t a scenario where that happens.
No scenario where they pay the contractual amount of 120m€? I reckon there is, but only time will tell.

arthurka

He plays well for them and they want him?
No scenario where they pay the contractual amount of 120m€? I reckon there is, but only time will tell.
Bayern have a proven record of getting their guy for a reasonable sums. They will never pay this amount if it isn´t benefiting them, Coutinho isn´t close to being a 120m and Bayern won´t pay over the odds for him.
I would see them paying top dollar for Havertz but not Coutinho unless he will become a fantastic player for them and then everybody gains something from the deal.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
The only Barca players I'd be interested in are Artur, De Jong, Griezmann and possibly Dembele (weak mentality but very talented, on a year loan) but I doubt any of those are available. Not including you-know-who for obvious reasons.

The problem is, Barca wants to get rid of the players who are either not playing well, too old, on high wages or all of the above. I can see their logic, but why would anyone want to do them a favour?

They struck gold with the generation of Messi, Iniesta, Busquets, Pique etc but La Masia is not some magic conveyor that can keep producing world class stars every couple of years and their transfer deals have been of mixed success. I believe that Neymar fiasco was a hige blow to their plans because they were grooming him to be a successor to Messi.

Last edited:

Needham

Kudos to Messi if he came to a "Utd in transition" to write his name into our storied history. Lets offer them 124 million and 1 pound.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd give Dembele a year loan with an option to buy if he's any good, not sure why he'd agree to it though. I'm at the point I'd take a league 2 player so long as he's an actual right winger. Dembele's a talented kid but there have been stories about his attitude surfacing even since his time at Dortmund, they could be just from the rags, mind.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I don't think anyone is going to pay 100+ mil. for Coutinho. I would offer the 124 mil. for Dembele, Arthur and Rakitic/Vidal. United atm don't have much success on the pitch, but there're no financial problems and the club is in good health. Being a footballer is foremost a job, we'll pay the wages on time, no worries. :)
There's zero chance of Barcelona selling Arthur.

Alfarosi

How serious is this, does anyone know? ESPN Is not a bastion of quality reporting. Is Barca facing a difficult financial future?

"Barcelona must bring in €124 million in player sales before the end of the season or the club risks damaging its financial stability, sources have told ESPN FC.

They have been forced to make the sale of players each year a priority for their financial model to work. The amount they must bring in this season has been fixed at €124m to ensure they don't end the year in the red. If that were to happen, club members could push for the board's removal."

And if you're Bayern, or some club looking at Coutinho, do you hold off buying him because the loss of funds would hurt Barca so much?

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soc...24m-in-sales-hope-to-offload-coutinho-rakitic
The article says Barcelona must bring in €124 million in player sales from the 30th of June 2019 to 30th of June 2020.

In this period Barcelona has already recollected 40m€ for Malcom + 12,9 m€ Denis Suarez + 2 m€ Sergi Palencia + 8,5 m€ Coutinho-loan + 1,5 m€ Rafinha-loan which means that they only need to look for 64,9 m€ in player sales before the 30th of June 2020.

To sum up, they don´t even need to sell Coutinho, just selling Rafinha + Vidal + Rakitic should be enough.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
The article says Barcelona must bring in €124 million in player sales from the 30th of June 2019 to 30th of June 2020.

In this period Barcelona has already recollected 40m€ for Malcom + 12,9 m€ Denis Suarez + 2 m€ Sergi Palencia + 8,5 m€ Coutinho-loan + 1,5 m€ Rafinha-loan which means that they only need to look for 64,9 m€ in player sales before the 30th of June 2020.

To sum up, they don´t even need to sell Coutinho, just selling Rafinha + Vidal + Rakitic should be enough.
They also still have to pay a shitload of money to Liverpool for Coutinho.
Edit: maybe to Dortmund as well for Dembele. And €10m to Bayern for Vidal.

wr8_utd

:'(
I don't think anyone is going to pay 100+ mil. for Coutinho. I would offer the 124 mil. for Dembele, Arthur and Rakitic/Vidal. United atm don't have much success on the pitch, but there're no financial problems and the club is in good health. Being a footballer is foremost a job, we'll pay the wages on time, no worries. :)
:lol: They'd want 100m+ for Arthur alone.

Alfarosi

Yes, but that's another part of the balance sheet.
Barcelona generates 1.000 m€ per year so no issue with that. They just need to add 64,9 m€ in player sales and they would be fine.

Cait Sith

You really believe they need € 124 million when only 2 months ago they made an official bid for Neymar? Please.

Red_toad

the smug on United fans thinking Dembele would want to play for us
I’d not want him here regardless. He doesn’t want to leave Spain and already has issues there. It’d be another Ratboy all over again.

RedCurry

They'll sell a couple squadies and make that kind of money.

devlinadl

Think the figure of €124m already covers the amounts they still owe on transfers. And for the record, they only have to pay €5m more to Liverpool. The rest is owed to a third party financing company.