Barca must sell €124m in players this season

Beans

Supports
Neutral
How serious is this, does anyone know? ESPN Is not a bastion of quality reporting. Is Barca facing a difficult financial future?

"Barcelona must bring in €124 million in player sales before the end of the season or the club risks damaging its financial stability, sources have told ESPN FC.

They have been forced to make the sale of players each year a priority for their financial model to work. The amount they must bring in this season has been fixed at €124m to ensure they don't end the year in the red. If that were to happen, club members could push for the board's removal."

And if you're Bayern, or some club looking at Coutinho, do you hold off buying him because the loss of funds would hurt Barca so much?

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soc...24m-in-sales-hope-to-offload-coutinho-rakitic

padr81

Supports
Man City
Messi to City for €200m so he can play the ball playing CB role and allow Fernandinho back into midfield will solve 2 problems with one transfer.

littleman

Only Real would care about how much it would hurt Barca. We should be more than happy to pay wherever possible

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
Can't they just get another bank loan?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Messi due his yearly wage rise I guess.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It's surely played a big role over the years indeed
It definitely has, he’s earned an absolutely astronomical amount from them and taken up a huge portion of their wage budget.

That being said though, he’s been incredible value for money for them. Already a huge club in world football with a history of incredible players, I still don’t think they would be half the size they are now without his profile on and off the pitch over the last 15 years.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
According to the article they hope to raise that amount by offloading Coutingo and Rakitic.

Coutinho failed miserably at Barca. Him and Dembele were panic buys by Barcelona to appease the fans who were unhappy about Neymar leaving and they both didn't live up to expectations. How much can they possibly get for the Brazilian? Even if he has a great season for Bayern, they'll be lucky to get half of what they paid to Pool.

Rakitic is 31 and will be 32 by the time the season ends. Who would want to spend big money on him?

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It definitely has, he’s earned an absolutely astronomical amount from them and taken up a huge portion of their wage budget.

That being said though, he’s been incredible value for money for them. Already a huge club in world football with a history of incredible players, I still don’t think they would be half the size they are now without his profile on and off the pitch over the last 15 years.
He's contributed incredibly to them being the club they are today without. When he'll finally leave/retire, they will find it tough
According to the article they hope to raise that amount by offloading Coutingo and Rakitic.

Coutinho failed miserably at Barca. Him and Dembele were panic buys by Bracelona to appease the fans who were unhappy about Neymar leaving and they both didn't live up to expectations. How much can they possibly get for the Brazilian? Even if he has a great season for Bayern, they'll be lucky to get half of what they paid to Pool.

Rakitic is 31 and will be 32 by the time the season ends. Who would want to spend big money on him?
Yet they still aim to land Neymar next season

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

Coutinho failed miserably at Barca. Him and Dembele were panic buys by Bracelona to appease the fans who were unhappy about Neymar leaving and they both didn't live up to expectations. How much can they possibly get for the Brazilian? Even if he has a great season for Bayern, they'll be lucky to get half of what they paid to Pool.

You know there are some clowns who run a club in Manchester?

Ish

Lights on for Luke

They’ll probably try offloading Umtiti or Todibo as well (though the former has a dodgy knee so not sure who’s going to take that risk).

Vidal was also rumored to be heading back to serie A during the summer but ended up staying. Admittedly, he’s actually been decent for them whenever I’ve watched them. Albeit, he’s not really a Barca type midfielder. But he provided the legs in midfield because Busquets and Rakitic couldn’t. Now they have de Jong (& Arthur).

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Castles said we’re interested in bringing in Dembele from Barcelona, perhaps even in January.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I guarantee they won't be in trouble. Real Madrid and Barcelona are now at a level where they'll never "get in trouble".

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I don't think anyone is going to pay 100+ mil. for Coutinho. I would offer the 124 mil. for Dembele, Arthur and Rakitic/Vidal. United atm don't have much success on the pitch, but there're no financial problems and the club is in good health. Being a footballer is foremost a job, we'll pay the wages on time, no worries. :)

Skills

Snitch
They should look to shift some of the overpaid high earners.

Suarez
Rakitic
Vidal
Countinho

Should be on top of the list but I would listen to offers for
Dembele
Busquets
Alba

Because I think they can better value for money elsewhere if someone's ready to offer them a stupid amount of money.

big rons sovereign

Don't think Barca have anything to worry about. If they end up skint, the banks will bail them out again.
If it's FFP, they'll be fined 10 fags and a curly wurly.

Skills

Snitch
Don't think Barca have anything to worry about. If they end up skint, the banks will bail them out again.
If it's FFP, they'll be fined 10 fags and a curly wurly.
The Spanish clubs are under a lot more government scrutiny now. It's why the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Mourinho and co have found themselves in court over tax evasion. That would never have happened in years gone by.

big rons sovereign

The Spanish clubs are under a lot more government scrutiny now. It's why the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Mourinho and co have found themselves in court over tax evasion. That would never have happened in years gone by.
How about a £300 fine for breaching tapping up rules?

Gordon S

We could offer 124m and Fred for Arthur in january. Fair deal for both clubs.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Bayern will buy Coutinho for way too much money.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I love how people think Dembele would actually consider us right now, I'm sure he's dying to link up with J Lingz and Rashford after playing with Messi and Suarez.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's surely played a big role over the years indeed
Messi pays for himself on and off the pitch. He isn't the problem, and when he is, they'll move him on.

Barca are just terribly run and don't conform like normal clubs do/have to. This will be a non-story soon enough, like it always is with them.

kouroux

Messi pays for himself on and off the pitch. He isn't the problem, and when he is, they'll move him on.

Barca are just terribly run and don't conform like normal clubs do/have to. This will be a non-story soon enough, like it always is with them.
I never said he is the problem. He just costs them a lot of money all things considered

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I never said he is the problem. He just costs them a lot of money all things considered
But he doesn't, is my counter. He is delivering for three players' worth on the pitch, still; he's a sure thing, still; to replace his qualities like for like, you need to factor in transfer fee and equivalent wage*3.

Take Messi and his wage out and try and replace it whilst having no drop in output on the pitch would be a costly and far from assured thing - I am sure Barca would rather stick than even think of taking the risk to find out.

Barca have wasted money elsewhere, or, we might even say been loyal when ROI is now longer there in waning players who, unlike Messi, are not delivering or justifying their wage. The issue with moving them on is the disruption and uncertainty that the costly replacements will settle and/or deliver.

Skills

Snitch
How about a £300 fine for breaching tapping up rules?
Tapping up rules and the punishment are from the FA.

Tax evasion/illegal bailouts are playing foul of Spanish lawmakers, who have shown that they are no longer tolerating them even for the sake of the Spanish big 2.

kouroux

But he doesn't, is my counter. He is delivering for three players' worth on the pitch, still; he's a sure thing, still; to replace his qualities like for like, you need to factor in transfer fee and equivalent wage*3.

Take Messi and his wage out and try and replace it whilst having no drop in output on the pitch would be a costly and far from assured thing - I am sure Barca would rather stick than even think of taking the risk to find out.

Barca have wasted money elsewhere, or, we might even say been loyal when ROI is now longer there in waning players who, unlike Messi, are not delivering or justifying their wage. The issue with moving them on is the disruption and uncertainty that the costly replacements will settle and/or deliver.
I know what you mean and I'm saying the investment in him is huge but worth it obviously. He contributes a lot on and off the pitch from a financial POV. It's helped them a lot but I also think in some way, it's hindered them from improving certain areas of their squad over the years

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Market options are either very unstable / injury prone or very old.
Dembélé is very good but very immature.
I wouldn't get into that mess if I were United. Inda(not reliable) said yesterday that Barcelona will try a Neymar-Griezmann swap and it will surely be their first choice.
Maybe I would try Rakitic but it's something based on my personal taste, he not a kid anymore.

Shiva87

I would target getting Coutinho off them next summer. That could be a good signing for what we are missing in midfield. Don't think Bayern will let him go if he has a decent season.

big rons sovereign

Tapping up rules and the punishment are from the FA.

Tax evasion/illegal bailouts are playing foul of Spanish lawmakers, who have shown that they are no longer tolerating them even for the sake of the Spanish big 2.
The club's never faced any punishment though, they just stitched up players and managers.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I know what you mean and I'm saying the investment in him is huge but worth it obviously. He contributes a lot on and off the pitch from a financial POV. It's helped them a lot but I also think in some way, it's hindered them from improving certain areas of their squad over the years
What alternatives are there when you have the best player of this generation in your ranks delivering to a point he's still a sure thing - perhaps the surest thing in football, still - whilst others around him are the ones floundering?

It's a catch 22, but Messi and his wage vis-a-vis the returns (on and off the pitch) really isn't the problem, imo.

Barca's mismanagement orbits Messi, if you will.

Omahahaha

At least Barcelona is an ambitious club, even though they have spent poorly in the last couple of years. Slightly OT, can Chelsea buy players again in January or do they have to wait until the summer?