Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Dansk

What happens next year (and the next, and the next) when the same regulations require them to show a certain amount of income that they're highly unlikely to meet? They've survived this summer by selling assets left and right. It's not as if they can just continue to do that every year. Does anybody realistically expect them to increase their annual revenues by hundreds of millions, after borrowing money that will be taken out of their future revenue? Or will they simply stop signing new players? Neither seems feasible. It feels a lot like they've just chosen to ignore the cliff's edge that they're driving towards because they're not yet falling.

Even if they'll have succesfully reduced their wage bill, look how much money they've had to come up with this summer to make ends meet. They can't have reduced their wage burden by nearly enough to make that equation work out. Is it something like €300m of assets they've sold? If that's what it took to stay afloat in a single year, how are they not completely fecked in the future? A wage bill cutdown doesn't come even remotely close to matching that figure. They might have saved something like €50-100m per year that way, and that's if they do manage to negotiate all these salary cuts for the players they already have. Now count that against the drop in future revenues resulting from all these "levers." Where is the money supposed to come from next time? Will they end up having to become Red Bull Barcelona from the Amazon Stadium?

In case they haven't noticed, the global economy isn't at its best. It seems very optimistic to expect to significantly increase a club's revenue, because at the end of the day, that has to come from an increase in fan spending. I find it hard to believe that people are eager to buy more shirts and tickets, or more expensive TV packages. Sponsorship deals don't exactly become more lucrative during a recession, either, when the global population has to tighten its belt due to rapidly increasing costs of living. Advertising is only worth as much as people's disposable income, and we all have less and less of that these days.

Last edited:

HTG

Supports
Bayern
His aspiration is to be president of Barcelona, and 99% he will be, we just need to know when.
Now I get the longterm plan for Barca. With Pique as president, they’ll just stop paying taxes. Smart.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
What happens next year (and the next, and the next) when the same regulations require them to show a certain amount of income that they're highly unlikely to meet? They've survived this summer by selling assets left and right. It's not as if they can just continue to do that every year. Does anybody realistically expect them to increase their annual revenues by hundreds of millions, after borrowing money that will be taken out of their future revenue? Or will they simply stop signing new players? Neither seems feasible. It feels a lot like they've just chosen to ignore the cliff's edge that they're driving towards because they're not yet falling.

Even if they'll have succesfully reduced their wage bill, look how much money they've had to come up with this summer to make ends meet. They can't have reduced their wage burden by nearly enough to make that equation work out. Is it something like €300m of assets they've sold? If that's what it took to stay afloat in a single year, how are they not completely fecked in the future? A wage bill cutdown doesn't come even remotely close to matching that figure. They might have saved something like €50-100m per year that way, and that's if they do manage to negotiate all these salary cuts for the players they already have. Now count that against the drop in future revenues resulting from all these "levers." Where is the money supposed to come from next time? Will they end up having to become Red Bull Barcelona from the Amazon Stadium?

In case they haven't noticed, the global economy isn't at its best. It seems very optimistic to expect to significantly increase a club's revenue, because at the end of the day, that has to come from an increase in fan spending. I find it hard to believe that people are eager to buy more shirts and tickets, or more expensive TV packages. Sponsorship deals don't exactly become more lucrative during a recession, either, when the global population has to tighten its belt due to rapidly increasing costs of living. Advertising is only worth as much as people's disposable income, and we all have less and less of that these days.
The only logical reason for their actions is because of they couldn't secure anymore finance from banks owing to their credit rating downgrade and interest rates increasing.

On top of this, I think they're still confident they can get the Super League off the ground. Problem is, I just don't see it happening as they won't have the English/German/French/Portuguese teams join owing to the political resistance to any such league.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

I think Laporta has said that.. not saying I believe him OR that it’d be enough mind (and hoping it won’t be )

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
The only logical reason for their actions is because of they couldn't secure anymore finance from banks owing to their credit rating downgrade and interest rates increasing.
Barcelona sold assets to have the 1/1 in the Spanish FFP and be able to sign.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona

We are unlikely to need a lot of signings next year. With a squad this good 2 or 3 maximum. The problem with the previous squad was that there was a decent starting 11 but very shitty substitutes so whenever key players like Araujo and Pedri got injured we struggled vs even small teams. There were Games were we had to play Gavi and Dest as wingers. You can't be a top team with the likes of Braithwaite, Umtiti, Mingueza, 39 year old Alves, Lenglet, Riqui Puig, Luuk De Jong, etc. Most of those players aren't even good enough to be substitutes.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
And here ends the twitter circle jerk of Barcelona's fans. Thank you Rayo Vallecano.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Another €500mill might do it! Lets go

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Alba and Busquets are done, Xavi will go to the grave with them if he doesn't put them on the bench. He needs to find something new including De Jong (sorry United).

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
Good to see the success after all the levers. Barcelona unbeaten after one match.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
As long as Busquets and Alba continue, the team plays at a disadvantage. And RB's Araujo is losing depth in attack.
FDJ very well when he entered the second half.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
As long as Busquets and Alba continue, the team plays at a disadvantage. And RB's Araujo is losing depth in attack.
FDJ very well when he entered the second half.
FDJ was, in a few minutes, hands down the best player in your team. Xavi is getting a pretty significant amount of backlash in spain for his choices tonight, in my opinion it pretty much seals the deaf for FDJ and he'll stay at Barcelona.

Xavi has brand new players everywhere. That was THE moment to start rebuilding a very different kind of midfield includng FDJ. He decided to keep on playing with his old pall Busquets (who already showed huge warning signs last season).

He need to put them on the bench or he'll go to the grave with them.

Gee Male

But isn't this the thing? Barca fans are defending what's gone on this summer on thd basis that they now have a good team, while thd rest of the world are looking at it thinking - is that it?

I mean Lewa is good, but hardly a long term solution. I rate Raphinha as potentially their best signing, but he is no Ronaldinho/Messi/Etoo/Henry/whatever Barca are used to. Christensen, I mean grand like. Kessie- yep, fine.

None of their signings would make City's starting team. Only Lewa makes Liverpools. How many make Madrid's? Kounde maybe? Even Lewa struggles versus Benzema on current form.

You don't catch up with rivals across Europe by buying worse players than they already have. And mortgaging your club's future to do that is... mental.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
FDJ was, in a few minutes, hands down the best player in your team. Xavi is getting a pretty significant amount of backlash in spain for his choices tonight, in my opinion it pretty much seals the deaf for FDJ and he'll stay at Barcelona.

Xavi has brand new players everywhere. That was THE moment to start rebuilding a very different kind of midfield includng FDJ. He decided to keep on playing with his old pall Busquets (who already showed huge warning signs last season).

He need to put them on the bench or he'll go to the grave with them.
I would have discarded Piqué, Alba and Busquets a few years ago.
That is one of Barcelona's problems, not knowing how to get rid of players who have been important in the past, but who are not performing in the present.

The team also lacks mobility between the lines, they are too static.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I would have discarded Piqué, Alba and Busquets a few years ago.
That is one of Barcelona's problems, not knowing how to get rid of players who have been important in the past, but who are not performing in the present.

The team also lacks mobility between the lines, they are too static.
It's a recent problem though because I think it was handled pretty decently in the past but it's easier to discard older players when it instantly works with the new one (Rakitic replacing Xavi for example).

Here the situation is different because we're seeing a Barcelona team that bet his entire future on a short term success and they seem afraid to start an entire transformation now. Yeah, you can't play with FDJ the way you've been playing with Busquets for almost 15 years, tough sh*t, that's what being a coach in a top club means, you need to change. Xavi has alternative, he can play Kessie if he wants another strong player to cover a lot of ground for FDJ's roaming, he can play Gavi, and i'm just scared he'll play Pjanic and tell him "please play like Sergio, that's our DNA".

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
It's a recent problem though because I think it was handled pretty decently in the past but it's easier to discard older players when it instantly works with the new one (Rakitic replacing Xavi for example).

Here the situation is different because we're seeing a Barcelona team that bet his entire future on a short term success and they seem afraid to start an entire transformation now. Yeah, you can't play with FDJ the way you've been playing with Busquets for almost 15 years, tough sh*t, that's what being a coach in a top club means, you need to change. Xavi has alternative, he can play Kessie if he wants another strong player to cover a lot of ground for FDJ's roaming, he can play Gavi, and i'm just scared he'll play Pjanic and tell him "please play like Sergio, that's our DNA".
Indeed, each player has his abilities and the duty of a coach is to enhance them within the scheme of the team.
FdJ has other characteristics to Busquets and Xavi must make tactical modifications to fit De Jong.

Already last year Xavi transmitted doubts to me.
Fran Artigas, Barcelona's youth coach, has always said that Nico's position was one of pivot.
Garcia Pimienta, former barcelona b coach, said exactly the same thing.
And Xavi said he didn't see him in that position.
This year he began to put him as a pivot in the preseason before the loan to Valencia.

With FDJ I think the exact same thing happens to him.
There is no replica to Busquets and you must put a player with other characteristics there and adapt him.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Indeed, each player has his abilities and the duty of a coach is to enhance them within the scheme of the team.
FdJ has other characteristics to Busquets and Xavi must make tactical modifications to fit De Jong.

Already last year Xavi transmitted doubts to me.
Fran Artigas, Barcelona's youth coach, has always said that Nico's position was one of pivot.
Garcia Pimienta, former barcelona b coach, said exactly the same thing.
And Xavi said he didn't see him in that position.
This year he began to put him as a pivot in the preseason before the loan to Valencia.

With FDJ I think the exact same thing happens to him.
There is no replica to Busquets and you must put a player with other characteristics there and adapt him.
Xavi's approach is extraordinarily shortsighted in my opinion. The team has to perform this season, but the roster is good enough to afford a slow start when he's trying to reshape the team rather than trying to play it safe and spectacularly fail in the champions league only to end up potentially selling De Jong and play Busquets until he's in a wheelchair. If he was to change things, it could take a couple of weeks to settle but you'd still end up top2 in La Liga. If he doesn't and if you sell the wrong players, it could be hell of a mess this season and pretty terrible the season after.

caid

From a team point of view i dont see how they let FDJ go now. Nico on loan and even if busquets were good enough he couldn't play every match. Whats the alternative? (other than being a bit shit)

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
From a team point of view i dont see how they let FDJ go now. Nico on loan and even if busquets were good enough he couldn't play every match. Whats the alternative? (other than being a bit shit)
Pjanic :lol:

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Johan Cruijff 'I've never seen a sack of money score a goal'.

That man has always been right. What a lovely night tonight. One good player on the pitch. Frenkie de Jong. Fvck Laporta.

bosskeano

It's bizarre short termism. Even the idea of not competing for a year or two is basically heresy to them. So entitled.
it's crazy the amount of money they've spent this summer when on the verge of bankruptcy/solvency yet he's saying they haven't brought in enough players and wants more......so entitled