Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

pascell

So Messi new contract will see him get lower wages per week but over many years to see him earn roughly what he's on now? That's some well paid ambassadorial role!

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Why are they continuing to sign players if they are this fecked? I mean they still look to be signing more dross to me too.
Everyone they have signed in this window has been a free transfer and there's been quite a few reports showing how Aguero and Depay have taken a wage cut to join.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Do we know how much Depay's wages are planned to be? I hope its silly money, just to prove they've learnt nothing.
Apparently he took a cut in wages to join.

Siorac

No but he knew the club deemed him irreplaceable, and used that to strongarm every last penny he could from the club. You wouldn't use that defense for Mino Raiola, for example.
That comparison is a bit unfair though. Raiola contributes nothing positive to football as a sport, at least not for the viewers while Messi is a wonderful footballer who gets people into the stadium or in front of TV screens. His talent is the reason why the likes of Raiola can make a tremendous living from football. Of course Raiola will be judged differently.

Last edited:

Suedesi

Messi's salary is insane, but the revenue he generates for the club is 2-3x what he costs. He ain't the problem, the problem is the Dembeles, Coutinhos, Griezmanns, Umtitis, Arda Turans, Pjanic / Arhurs, Lenglets of Barca.

Also buying Memphis Depay and Kun Aguerro, even on a free is dumb imo. Kun is finished, Depay never will be it

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Everyone they have signed in this window has been a free transfer and there's been quite a few reports showing how Aguero and Depay have taken a wage cut to join.
Still seems madness when they can’t even register them!

arnie_ni

Messi's salary is insane, but the revenue he generates for the club is 2-3x what he costs. He ain't the problem, the problem is the Dembeles, Coutinhos, Griezmanns, Umtitis, Arda Turans, Pjanic / Arhurs, Lenglets of Barca.

Also buying Memphis Depay and Kun Aguerro, even on a free is dumb imo. Kun is finished, Depay never will be it
Them pesky shirt sales

Suedesi

Them pesky shirt sales
Adverts + commercial revenue. 2018-19 data. I bet Messi is a huge component of the clubs' TV as well as Mkt and Advertising component.

There are marketing firms who can reliably measure Lionel's impact on the club's revenue and that information is certainly used in contract negotiations by both parties.

They're not just sitting at a coffee table and throwing random numbers at each other. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

Devil81

If this is true then why is there no media coverage, one of the most famous Sports clubs in world sports on the brink of disaster and I've just googled Barcelona and it's brought nothing up about it.

UpWithRivers

There's a lesson in here somewhere for United but I just cant put my finger on it.

If there is a fire sale, which is looking very likely, the very last people to go would be the likes of Pedri, Fati and Moriba.

They are more likely to try and push on Griezmann, Dembele and Coutinho first, but Couthinho and Dembele are injured and Griezmann has said he is not leaving. So if that doesn't work it's likely you could see ter Stegen and De Jong up for sale , there's plenty who would like to buy one of those two and I can't help but think that Messi will have to go. Imagine Grealish, Kane and Messi all signing for City!
can’t see a single club buying Griezmann, Dembe or Coutinho.

best they can hope for is a subsidised loan. Most other clubs have been pretty sensible in their spending.

Skills

Snitch
The resurgence of Barcelona will be a good storyline when they win the CL again in a couple of seasons time

Brophs

The One and Only
This can be a lesson that all clubs should learn from. Barcelona should have sold Messi for a few hundred million 2/3 years ago and they would be around 500/600m better off right now. I appreciate he’s a club legend and easily the second best player of his generation but what has that money won them? One league title and one cup.

I just hope United don’t make the same mistake with Sancho in 10 years. Take the £800m and reinvest it in the squad.
:lol:

FromTheBench

What specific revue does messi generate that they won't get without him? Barcelona is marketable with or without him.

They should let him go instead of paying him ludicrous money and asking others to play for free.

Anything to back that up?

That before messi their advert and commercial income was significantly less?

Remember to adjust for inflation
And adjust for the fact football has changed over the last 16 years. Increased revenues were coming into clubs, no matter who played for them.

this is not Maradona at Napoli (with all due respect to Napoli), Barcelona have always been one of the biggest Clubs, irrespective of who played for them.

padzilla

Hipster
Football clubs have made a rod for their own back by offering lengthy and insanely lucrative contracts to underperforming stars. United are as guilty as anyone of paying premium wages to players who are not putting in premium performances. It's one thing to pay a Messi or Ronaldo hundreds of thousands a week but quite another to be paying the same to close to the entire first team squad. At some point it will blow up in their faces hence the push for the European Super League.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Why don't they just make 100 mil Messi shirts and sell them? I thought this is how Spanish teams operate. They get their money overnight by selling shirts.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
How are they £200m above the salary cap this season but weren't last season? They have only signed Memphis, Garcia and Aguero which won't be that much, so I don't get how they are £200m over the salary cap all of a sudden?

largelyworried

And adjust for the fact football has changed over the last 16 years. Increased revenues were coming into clubs, no matter who played for them.

this is not Maradona at Napoli (with all due respect to Napoli), Barcelona have always been one of the biggest Clubs, irrespective of who played for them.
Messi and Ronaldo are comfortably the most marketable footballers in the world and that means money. I read this week that Ronaldo earns more from Instagram than he does from Juventus. Now I don't hold to the idea that shirt sales and marketability are an infinite source of income and therefore outweigh any salary concerns a club might have. Messi's salary is so ridiculous that it could easily outweigh any extra income he generates. But equally, I think the suggestion that Messi has no positive impact on Barca's ability to generate income from markets is kind of ridiculous.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
If there is a fire sale, which is looking very likely, the very last people to go would be the likes of Pedri, Fati and Moriba.
Moriba only has one year left on his contract. We’ve been linked for the last year so it’s interesting what happens as he’ll be due a pay rise…

On Barcelona they aren’t acting like a club in the financial situation that they’re in. Any other club would be forced to get rid of Messi and other big players but they’re acting like they’re simply too big to fail and can carry on - even making high wage free signings like Aguero.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Adverts + commercial revenue. 2018-19 data. I bet Messi is a huge component of the clubs' TV as well as Mkt and Advertising component.

There are marketing firms who can reliably measure Lionel's impact on the club's revenue and that information is certainly used in contract negotiations by both parties.

They're not just sitting at a coffee table and throwing random numbers at each other. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's usually hard to estimate direct impact of a single player on clubs revenue, Barcelona were a worldwide known brand before Messi and would have had high revenue without him. I don't think he impacts TV revenue to a large extent as they'd have got a good deal with La Liga without him and CL revenue is mainly based on how far you go in the competition I think. He certainly has significant marketing & advertising value but so does FC Barcelona as a brand.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
How are they £200m above the salary cap this season but weren't last season? They have only signed Memphis, Garcia and Aguero which won't be that much, so I don't get how they are £200m over the salary cap all of a sudden?
The cap imposed on them by La Liga has reduced by half from what I understand. Which in my view is silly from the league.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
That comparison is a bit unfair though. Raiola contributes nothing positive to football as a sport, at least not for the viewers while Messi is a wonderful footballer who gets people into the stadium or in front if TV screens. His talent is the reason why the likes of Raiola can make a tremendous living from football. Of course Raiola will be judged differently.
It's a bit amoral to me to justify the same behaviour just because Messi plays wonderful football. They're both callous, they're both taking advantage of a situation, even though they know it's damaging to others, and both don't seem to care. Conversely, Barcas commitment to the player in his early years is likely the only reason Messi is in a position to demand such considerable wages.

youngrell

I don’t see why Messi would even want to stay at this point. Even if they somehow manage to get to the point they can register and pay him, surely they are not going to be able to compete for anything?

He’d be better off at PSG or something and Barca would be better off too.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
They should open up a patreon - let people subscribe and give them money. They may also start a "kickstarter" for Messi's salary. Onlyfans is an option too.

There's money to be made, be creative.

Messi and Ronaldo are comfortably the most marketable footballers in the world and that means money. I read this week that Ronaldo earns more from Instagram than he does from Juventus. Now I don't hold to the idea that shirt sales and marketability are an infinite source of income and therefore outweigh any salary concerns a club might have. Messi's salary is so ridiculous that it could easily outweigh any extra income he generates. But equally, I think the suggestion that Messi has no positive impact on Barca's ability to generate income from markets is kind of ridiculous.
I didn’t say he didn’t have a positive impact. But this is Barcelona - they will sell shirts, sponsorship, and generate significant revenues with or with out him.

Barca have had great players before, and will again - this is not some tinpot club that relies on one player.

your reference to Ronaldo is moot. How much of that revenue are Juventus seeing from his Instagram?

how did Man Utd and Real Madrid survive when he left?

the problem with these threads is that some believe Messi is everything, and some believe he’s nothing. Obviously Messi is marketable, but Barca is the club that made him, they will be here long after him, and their ‘commercial success’ over the past 16 years has clearly not been just because of one player.

Suedesi

Messi is easily one of the two the most marketable players in the world. Ronaldo is the other. When he joined Juve, the club saw an increase in commercial revenue that put the Turin club on the top 10 list for the first time ever. This is easily verifiable and quantifiable. Also both have an impact on TV revenues, and how the respective clubs are likely to generate off that. Not to mention social media, where both are insanely popular. Again, marketing firms can actually verify the impact of each player based on clicks, new contracts that they get, renewals etc.

Last but not least, they're bloody good footballers who can help the team, erm you know win some football matches.

Messi and Barcelona is a business relationship, despite both sides trying to sell the "romantic"

gorky_utd

Nothing will happen to barca except some players like Griezmann will be sold. La liga will compromise at the end.

Brophs

The One and Only
Seems to me that the only way out of this is for Barca to buy more players like Aguero with massive potential resale values.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

They can’t. I worked at one of those companies. The methodology isn’t reliable at all.

Anything to back that up?

That before messi their advert and commercial income was significantly less?

Remember to adjust for inflation
Before Messi was Ronaldinho. He was the face of their commercial activities in the mid 2000s. Before Ronaldinho they had no figurehead and their revenue was significantly less, in fact it was declining until the season he joined. They needed a figurehead to continue that and Messi was that guy, without him (or some other figurehead player) they would not be where they are now.

People forget Barcelona was not an absolute top tier club through the 80s and 90s.