Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Guys I get you can't buy anyone but how about not trying to buy players who want 500k+ pw like Lewa or constantly talking about bringing Neymar and or Messi back. It's also not like you can't finish at least in a CL spot in La Liga with the current squad. Freshen up with some talents, don't pay crazy wages for a while, and you'll still be good.
That's precisely what Laporta is trying to do. His board already set a new salary limit and every new contract has to fit in. No one will earn more than 10m net a year. The new contract of Pedri and Ansu are in a range of 6m. Araujo's around 4m. Gavi's will be too. If Lewandowski agreed terms, then he will not earn more than 10m net.
Also thats a big reason, why the board wants to sell Frenkie, because our plague Bartomeu gave him a contract, which guarantees him in his 4th and 5th year 12 m net, double of Pedri. That makes 24m gross and more or less 50m in 2 years... And Frenkie goes into his 4th year here. So it's not only about the transfer fee, but to get rid ourselves from the contracts Bartomeu signed. It will be a lot of work.

And no one in Laportas Board wants Neymar or Messi to return, simply because the club can't afford their salarys. Of course they hint something here and there when they are asked about that topic, but it's purely for fans. Laportas board wants to reduce the wage bill to 400m and only then, the club can breath again. They started last season with 700m! Now, we're something around 540. So halfway there :lol: Although the biggest part was Messi of course.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I like the idea that Lewandowski is taking at least a 20% pay cut for the opportunity to play for Barca. :lol:

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Guys I get you can't buy anyone but how about not trying to buy players who want 500k+ pw like Lewa or constantly talking about bringing Neymar and or Messi back. It's also not like you can't finish at least in a CL spot in La Liga with the current squad. Freshen up with some talents, don't pay crazy wages for a while, and you'll still be good.
We barely finish second and we will lose Dembele who was our best player last season. While players like Busquets and Alba will be one year older and don't even have a sub. What do we do if Busquets gets an injury? We don't have anybody who is even remotely similar to him. If we don't sign anybody we might still finish top 4 but I wouldn't bet on it.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Was it Tebas who spent 600+ million on flop players and handed over insane contracts? It was so insane that it was not sustainable, Barca members said after all the paycuts their wage bill is still double that of Bayern, that's just insane.

Dembele - 140m
Coutinho - 135m
Griezmann - 120m
Pjanic - 60m
Semedo - 35m
Turan - 34m
Gomes - 37m
Malcom - 41m
Lenglet - 35m
I don't know if the Bayern team with youth teams, women's team, basketball plus amortizations are in total €300M.

If anyone at Bayern knows the amount it would be fine.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I like the idea that Lewandowski is taking at least a 20% pay cut for the opportunity to play for Barca. :lol:
I also find it amusing that Barca fans keep on saying they reduced the wage bill, but forget to mention that they've just deferred payments, basically kicking that can down the road - they'll be paying Pique a few years after he retires.

Also, strange how Madrid are absolutely fine after the pandemic, seems the La Liga FFP only effects Barca, nothing to do with financial idiocy.

And most of the other Spanish clubs are okay, even though they've been starved of finances due to Madrid and Barcas duopoly on TV revenue, but Tebas is only against Barca.

It's like a rich kid complaining that he has to wait a few months for the new phone to be released before they can get it, spoiled brats - and it's why the club is run the way it is, the president throwing big names out so they can get reelected.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I also find it amusing that Barca fans keep on saying they reduced the wage bill, but forget to mention that they've just deferred payments, basically kicking that can down the road - they'll be paying Pique a few years after he retires.

Also, strange how Madrid are absolutely fine after the pandemic, seems the La Liga FFP only effects Barca, nothing to do with financial idiocy.

And most of the other Spanish clubs are okay, even though they've been starved of finances due to Madrid and Barcas duopoly on TV revenue, but Tebas is only against Barca.

It's like a rich kid complaining that he has to wait a few months for the new phone to be released before they can get it, spoiled brats - and it's why the club is run the way it is, the president throwing big names out so they can get reelected.
Yep. I mean they mainly reduced their wage bill because Messi and his contract left.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I absolutely get Lewandowski. He is a great signing and several levels above Aubameyang.

What I don’t get is the scramble that will ensue to register players like Alonso and Azpilicueta (who will be 33 in August)

The fact that their first eleven could potentially have Alba, Pique, Azpilicueta, Busquets, Lewa, with possible starts for Auba, Alonso, Sérgio Roberto and Alves too?

They are building an insanely old squad, potentially losing Dembele/de Jong too.

Barca fans will obviously tell us why this is all necessary, but it’s hard to see the future of this squad in even a couple of years, meanwhile Real have Tchoumeni, Camavinga, Vini Jr, Rodrygo, Militao, Valverde all under 25 and preparing for their future when their stars finally retire.

I praised how skillfully they were moving early on, but they are starting to take some serious wrong turns, and I would be worried as a fan.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
kessie still waiting to be able to be registered as a barca player as they don't have the money to do it for him or christensen...

what a sloppy mess.

caid

I absolutely get Lewandowski. He is a great signing and several levels above Aubameyang.

What I don’t get is the scramble that will ensue to register players like Alonso and Azpilicueta (who will be 33 in August)

The fact that their first eleven could potentially have Alba, Pique, Azpilicueta, Busquets, Lewa, with possible starts for Auba, Alonso, Sérgio Roberto and Alves too?

They are building an insanely old squad, potentially losing Dembele/de Jong too.

Barca fans will obviously tell us why this is all necessary, but it’s hard to see the future of this squad in even a couple of years, meanwhile Real have Tchoumeni, Camavinga, Vini Jr, Rodrygo, Militao, Valverde all under 25 and preparing for their future when their stars finally retire.

I praised how skillfully they were moving early on, but they are starting to take some serious wrong turns, and I would be worried as a fan.
I kind of get Lewandowski too but they bought Aubameyang 6 months ago. They bought Depay a year ago and it seems they're trying to sell him. I'm not really seeing this skillful transfer strategy, it seems pretty scattergun to me. They're treading water at the moment, they're doing a pretty good job of surviving seemingly but i dont see much improvement in their situation.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I kind of get Lewandowski too but they bought Aubameyang 6 months ago. They bought Depay a year ago and it seems they're trying to sell him. I'm not really seeing this skillful transfer strategy, it seems pretty scattergun to me. They're treading water at the moment, they're doing a pretty good job of surviving seemingly but i dont see much improvement in their situation.
Exactly. They are selling players to make money, so they can register old players with no sell on value. They are going to hit a wall and owe millions to retired players and be sitting on a squad with no sell-on value.

Even the Pjanic/Melo swap was extremely short sided. He was an asset that a team like arsenal would have paid 50-60 million for. Instead they swapped him for some quick accounting and now have yet another 30+ talent with no sell-on value.

caid

Exactly. They are selling players to make money, so they can register old players with no sell on value. They are going to hit a wall and owe millions to retired players and be sitting on a squad with no sell-on value.

Even the Pjanic/Melo swap was extremely short sided. He was an asset that a team like arsenal would have paid 50-60 million for. Instead they swapped him for some quick accounting and now have yet another 30+ talent with no sell-on value.
Yeah, this is kind of their last chance to get out of a hole with player sales really. Maybe they get one more chance with Ter Stegen but after that the only player with transfer value is Pedri and their future will go with him. Even in perfect circumstances it probably wont be straightforward to keep him. Imagine the kind of offers he'll be getting from Paris when his contract is coming up for negotiation.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
If Barca sign Lewa, Alonso and Azpilicueta, they may as well just announce they're setting up a retirement home0

cyberman

If Barca sign Lewa, Alonso and Azpilicueta, they may as well just announce they're setting up a retirement home0
The “We can’t shift these mid 30s players on huge wages so we’re asking them to take a reduction because this previous crop of players were stupid enough to agree to it” home.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
The “We can’t shift these mid 30s players on huge wages so we’re asking them to take a reduction because this previous crop of players were stupid enough to agree to it” home.
the previous players didn't accept huge wage reductions. Its mostly deferrals.

here is what their official report is saying: " - As mentioned in Note 2.6, as a result of the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Club’s revenues have been significantly reduced. To deal with this situation, a bargaining table was set up to collectively change the employment conditions of FC Barcelona first team and Barça B. On December 17, 2020 this bargaining table signed a collective agreement whereby fixed or similar remuneration earned in the 2020/21 season by the professionals signing the aforementioned agreement was cut. A pay rise for the same amount to be accrued will compensate for this cut, and will be paid over each player’s remaining contractual seasons. Consequently, the employment contracts have been amended. As a result of this collective agreement, wage costs for the 2020/21 season have been reduced by 73 million euros. Additionally, it was agreed that all variable remuneration based on individual or collective goals accrued in the 2020/21 season will be paid pro-rata within a period of 36 months starting July 1, 2021. This commitment is independent of the above paragraph.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Yeah, this is kind of their last chance to get out of a hole with player sales really. Maybe they get one more chance with Ter Stegen but after that the only player with transfer value is Pedri and their future will go with him. Even in perfect circumstances it probably wont be straightforward to keep him. Imagine the kind of offers he'll be getting from Paris when his contract is coming up for negotiation.
Pedri, Gavi, Fati, Dembele, Araujo, Memphis, Torres, Puig, Garcia.

They all have a fairly decent transfer value now or in a few years.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

The Caf in 2045 "i'm pretty sure this youngster from Barcelona, Puig, is going to be a big deal" :lol:

Also, Dembele is likely gone for free.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
The Caf in 2045 "i'm pretty sure this youngster from Barcelona, Puig, is going to be a big deal" :lol:

Also, Dembele is likely gone for free.
Are you seriously comparing Gavi to Puig?? Nobody in Barcelona was that impressed with Puig, nobody; played for Barca B during the Valverde era, Koeman wanted him gone and Xavi gave him a couple of matches and then gave up on him. Pedri and Gavi have been Top youngsters since the beginning, that's why they are playing for the first team, not Barca B.

Dembele gone? Good for them. "Much ado about nothing"-kind of player and big wage. Will end up in Newcastle or as a sub for Zidane in PSG (if it happens).

Anyway, Barca are not going to sell their 17-21 years old players. It would be the end for Laporta.

caid

I kind of meant it as a catch all for their younger youth team players. But without having payed much attention he seems like the only one who'd command a high fee with others being less established or having questionable injury records keeping their prices down to more modest sums at least at this point in time.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Are you seriously comparing Gavi to Puig?? Nobody in Barcelona was that impressed with Puig, nobody; played for Barca B during the Valverde era, Koeman wanted him gone and Xavi gave him a couple of matches and then gave up on him. Pedri and Gavi have been Top youngsters since the beginning, that's why they are playing for the first team, not Barca B.

Dembele gone? Good for them. "Much ado about nothing"-kind of player and big wage. Will end up in Newcastle or as a sub for Zidane in PSG (if it happens).

Anyway, Barca are not going to sell their 17-21 years old players. It would be the end for Laporta.
Wait what? How did you come up with this conclusion? I was just laughing at the fact that a lot of people on the caf still think Puig has any future at a high level or transfer value when it's pretty obvious now he'll be a totally average player at best. I remember having an argument with a Barcelona fan here who pretended he'd be a guaranteed starter once Xavi is the coach.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Having a player like Lewandowski, in addition to the sports section, makes the club have more visibility and that other great players want to come.
Lewandowski is a great market opportunity, one of the best players in the world at a good price and who can give 3 years of great performance
Good price my arse. A club in their situation paying out those kind of wages is just ridiculous

Kudos to Laporta for convincing guys like Pedri, Araujo & co to be ok with it i guess. Or Pique, Busquets, etc...

In the meantime Dembele's gone and Gavi might leave too

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Good price my arse. A club in their situation paying out those kind of wages is just ridiculous

Kudos to Laporta for convincing guys like Pedri, Araujo & co to be ok with it i guess. Or Pique, Busquets, etc...

In the meantime Dembele's gone and Gavi might leave too
Signing Lewandowski for about €35M is a good price. At least for me, if it seems very expensive to you, I respect it.

And can you tell me what is the situation of Barcelona?

Castia

Filling their squad with old used up players they seem to be getting worse

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Signing Lewandowski for about €35M is a good price. At least for me, if it seems very expensive to you, I respect it.

And can you tell me what is the situation of Barcelona?
A club that is trying to reduce the wage bill signing a player that will cost €25/30M a year in wages alone, at 34 with no resale value and little chance of not paying over its full lenght?(3 years)

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Filling their squad with old used up players they seem to be getting worse
Barcelona try to sign what they can with the money there is.
Kessie and Christensen, both 25 years old and free I think are good operations.

Azpilicueta and M. Alonso would arrive at a very low price, and they are players who can give you 2 years of good performance.
To all this Barcelona also signed P. Torre (19) for 5M + variables.

Araujo (23), García (21), Gavi (17), Pedri (19), Nico (20), Kessie (25), Christensen (25), Fati (19), F. Torres (22).

And a few more players, who may remain at the club.

A club that is trying to reduce the wage bill signing a player that will cost €25/30M a year in wages alone, at 34 with no resale value and little chance of not paying over its full lenght?(3 years)
Gavi seems to be able to renew next week, the agreement seems to be close according to various media.

Barcelona have to reduce the wage bill with players that the coach does not want and earn a lot, not stopping signing a player like Lewandowski.

You say it's wrong for Barcelona to pay that salary to Lewandowski, and in the previous text you say dembele is leaving.

Barcelona does not renew him because he asks for a lot of money, is better to pay that money in Lewandowski

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Wait what? How did you come up with this conclusion? I was just laughing at the fact that a lot of people on the caf still think Puig has any future at a high level or transfer value when it's pretty obvious now he'll be a totally average player at best. I remember having an argument with a Barcelona fan here who pretended he'd be a guaranteed starter once Xavi is the coach.
Apparently Puig closes the nightclubs of Barcelona along with Piqué. They are often seen in reserved for them 2 with 4-5 women

When you're not focused on football, this happens.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Well, that is just wrong. As I said before, Laporta and his board set a new wage limit of 10m net. No matter who the player is. And no one buys a superstar for his resale value. You buy him for 2 reasons. To help on the pitch and for marketing reasons.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Barcelona try to sign what they can with the money there is.
Kessie and Christensen, both 25 years old and free I think are good operations.

Azpilicueta and M. Alonso would arrive at a very low price, and they are players who can give you 2 years of good performance.
To all this Barcelona also signed P. Torre (19) for 5M + variables.

Araujo (23), García (21), Gavi (17), Pedri (19), Nico (20), Kessie (25), Christensen (25), Fati (19), F. Torres (22).

And a few more players, who may remain at the club.

Gavi seems to be able to renew next week, the agreement seems to be close according to various media.

Barcelona have to reduce the wage bill with players that the coach does not want and earn a lot, not stopping signing a player like Lewandowski.

You say it's wrong for Barcelona to pay that salary to Lewandowski, and in the previous text you say dembele is leaving.

Barcelona does not renew him because he asks for a lot of money, is better to pay that money in Lewandowski
you lost 600m+ in 19/20 and 20/21 and you are at least 100m+ in the red for 21/22 and this might rise by another 50-100m depending on how things go. I have no idea why Barca fans are happy to gamble with the future of their club. You finished comfortably top4 and instead of making a radical cut trusting the youth for another 1-2 seasons to consolidate your finances, you already increase spending when you are nowhere near where you need to get. Free agents are not cheap and players don't just give up money to play for any club. Your wage bill reduction comes from letting go Messi, Griezmann, Suarez and Cou and deferrals. Thats at best half the way.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

Bit optimistic. Firstly, Barca have to keep a number of these players to remain competitive, second some of them have tricky situations:

Dembele - Leaving on a free (not a big loss imo as I find him insanely overhyped considering his work ethic and injury record.)

Fati - Has played the equivalent of 12.5 games over the past two seasons owing to injuries that always seem to hit him harder than others with similar injuries.

Garcia and Puig - Overrated and wouldn't get big moves if they left. Torres may jojn them.

Memphis - Not young and average. Lyon was about his prefect level.

Gavi - Needs a new contract and will have massive offers from elsewhere.

That consequently leaves Araujo, Pedri and Torres as the players you can say don't have question marks over them.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Bit optimistic. Firstly, Barca have to keep a number of these players to remain competitive, second some of them have tricky situations:

Dembele - Leaving on a free (not a big loss imo as I find him insanely overhyped considering his work ethic and injury record.)

Fati - Has played the equivalent of 12.5 games over the past two seasons owing to injuries that always seem to hit him harder than others with similar injuries.

Garcia and Puig - Overrated and wouldn't get big moves if they left. Torres may jojn them.

Memphis - Not young and average. Lyon was about his prefect level.

Gavi - Needs a new contract and will have massive offers from elsewhere.

That consequently leaves Araujo, Pedri and Torres as the players you can say don't have question marks over them.
Fati is still only 19 years old and has plenty of time left, which means Barca could still receive a decent fee at some point in the future, the same with Garcia and Puig. I am not talking mega money but they would still fetch at least €30m, as they are still young and have time on their side to improve.

Memphis may be 28 now but some clubs would still love to have him and he would still get a decent fee. He is definitely not average, he is just not the level of a true Barca player. He is soon to become the top scorer in Netherlands international football history, you don't reach that accolade if you are average. He is a pretty good player not elite level but not average either.

Gavi will probably sign a new contract and when he does, he could sell for a lot giving his age and potential.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Fati is still only 19 years old and has plenty of time left, which means Barca could still receive a decent fee at some point in the future, the same with Garcia and Puig. I am not talking mega money but they would still fetch at least €30m, as they are still young and have time on their side to improve.

Memphis may be 28 now but some clubs would still love to have him and he would still get a decent fee. He is definitely not average, he is just not the level of a true Barca player. He is soon to become the top scorer in Netherlands international football history, you don't reach that accolade if you are average. He is a pretty good player not elite level but not average either.

Gavi will probably sign a new contract and when he does, he could sell for a lot giving his age and potential.
Lukaku is Belgium's top scorer, doesn't mean he isn't average. Memphis has only ever really performed in Holland and France and some international matches when they do not matter. So, yeah, I would have him in a average category.

That said, I agree Puig and Garcia would get €30m'ish so, I guess I misunderstood the previous post.

As for Fati, sure he does have time but equally missing out on all that development time between 17-19 is still problematic. Hopefully he gets a full season next season.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Lukaku is Belgium's top scorer, doesn't mean he isn't average. Memphis has only ever really performed in Holland and France and some international matches when they do not matter. So, yeah, I would have him in a average category.

That said, I agree Puig and Garcia would get €30m'ish so, I guess I misunderstood the previous post.

As for Fati, sure he does have time but equally missing out on all that development time between 17-19 is still problematic. Hopefully he gets a full season next season.
Yet he has still been sold plenty of times, fetching very high fees every time. Memphis scores goals and regardless of his flaws, goal scorers sell for decent fees.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Well, that is just wrong. As I said before, Laporta and his board set a new wage limit of 10m net. No matter who the player is. And no one buys a superstar for his resale value. You buy him for 2 reasons. To help on the pitch and for marketing reasons.
Sport - the barcelona fanzine that is closest to this board, reported a deal agreed at €12M net per year.

Lewandowski doesn't help marketing more than playing for Barcelona does btw. He's not a global icon in that regard

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sport - the barcelona fanzine that is closest to this board, reported a deal agreed at €12M net per year.

Lewandowski doesn't help marketing more than playing for Barcelona does btw. He's not a global icon in that regard
While I agree with your posts. There is one gamble that Lewandowski allows, the CL TV, prize and legacy money means that if Lewandowski lead them to consistent runs beyond the quarter finals, he would bring more money than Barcelona currently would. But that's a gamble that could backfire if they fail to go far enough.

Oldyella

I had never heard of this Barcelona till they went to sign Lewandowski.