Barcelona in crisis after six directors resign in protest at way club is run

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
A complete mess off and on the pitch.
Good chunk of their first team are 30+
Having to swap players to navigate FFP.
Coach has no authority and results are tanking.

Falcow

A complete mess off and on the pitch.
Good chunk of their first team are 30+
Having to swap players to navigate FFP.
Coach has no authority and results are tanking.
Those issues aside however it's all good.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
What a terrible poem.

Black Rick

Interesting that they need to do this considering FFP is suspended for this season. Needless to say I'm not an accountant.

Last edited by a moderator:

binary bot
I wish clubs would stop bailing them out. Awaiting someone paying 70m for coutinho or dembele to fund their next transfer

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Oh man, I didn't notice any of this back in April. COVID-19 issues made football so tiny back then (they still do).

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Some headlines:

Suarez said "It's up to coaching staff to figure out the problem not ours."

Messi ignores the assistant coach during Celta match not once, but twice

Barcelona players not happy with the way Arthur was treated

Barcelona board want Setien sacked now

Barcelona will wait till the end of the season and sack Setien, they believe hiring him was a big mistake

Pique and Rakitic give lip to coaching staff

Barcelona players argue with Setien in dressing room

Neymar sue Barcelona, they head to court, Barcelona wins case and Neymar owes money back, Neymar still wants Barcelona return and Barcelona want to sign him

It's become "Keeping up with the Catalans" at this point

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Some headlines:

Barcelona will wait till the end of the season and sack Setien, they believe hiring him was a big mistake

Neymar sue Barcelona, they head to court, Barcelona wins case and Neymar owes money back, Neymar still wants Barcelona return and Barcelona want to sign him

More than a club - yes a big ol pile of steaming shit that may just be about to eat itself ala caf folklore of shit sandwich.

Its kind of funny. I work in the construction industry and this is exactly what happens when construction companies expand way to fast, leveraging shit loads of money because Directors get greedy. Then one incident occurs which fecks with the cash flow. You know what generally happens with those companies? :wenger: see Barcelona in about 2 years.

This club literally had the foundations of one of the best teams ever that came from their academy. There was no reason to go out and waste the money they have on players. Now they're so deep in the shit that if they dont win, they're cooked. That is not sustainable.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Some headlines:

And we think our club has issues :lol:

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
More than a club - yes a big ol pile of steaming shit that may just be about to eat itself ala caf folklore of shit sandwich.

Its kind of funny. I work in the construction industry and this is exactly what happens when construction companies expand way to fast, leveraging shit loads of money because Directors get greedy. Then one incident occurs which fecks with the cash flow. You know what generally happens with those companies? :wenger: see Barcelona in about 2 years.

This club literally had the foundations of one of the best teams ever that came from their academy. There was no reason to go out and waste the money they have on players. Now they're so deep in the shit that if they dont win, they're cooked. That is not sustainable.
I don't think Barcelona will have a big issue they may have a few years after Messi up and down, but naturally they'll always come back.

This is what current board wanted Rosell and Barto, wanted to become the Flo Perez of Barcelona with Galactico signings only to failed miserably.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I don't think Barcelona will have a big issue they may have a few years after Messi up and down, but naturally they'll always come back.

This is what current board wanted Rosell and Barto, wanted to become the Flo Perez of Barcelona with Galactico signings only to failed miserably.
Barcelona are leveraged to the hilt. This is not really the case with United because our financials are quite solid and stable.

We may have wasted money on shit, but we lived within our means.... Barcelona on the other hand have not and are desperate to ensure ongoing success

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Pique (33), Alba (31), Pjanic (30), Busquets (31), Rakitic (32), Vidal (33), Messi (33), Suárez (33) all need to be replaced in the next 2 seasons - given the odd exception. That’s a lot of first team talent.

The three big replacements all have issues: Griezmann is 29 and not far behind. Seems on a gradual downward curve. Dembele (23) cost a fortune but is always injured. Ludicrously so. And Coutinho (28) has been a disaster who the club will take a huge financial loss on.

The three talents of the future for Barca were Arthur (23), now sold. De Jong (23), who they surely have to build the team around. And Fati (17), who they may have to cash in on to finance the rebuild.

They’ve had some incredible success due to having the greatest player of all time, and quality players around him. But the squad building over the last five plus years has been horrific. The Covid impact couldn’t have come at a worse time for them, and no amount of creative accounting is going to hide the fact they are fecked.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
We have an election coming up in 2021 to elect a new president for the next 6 years. No way Barto survives this.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Some headlines:

They used to call Madrid as capital circus club or something like that. Looks like Barca are in the league of their own.

Cloud7

Barcelona never seem to be far from a crisis. They never seem to be far from a trophy either. Regardless of all these goings on, they’ll be fine.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Some headlines:

:lol: They've made a habit out of shooting themsleves in the foot. There's a lot of bickering happening but it mostly steps from how poorly the board is running the club. Abysmal purchases, accounting swaps, mismanagement of the squad, hiring mediocre managers, they've got it all.

Don't see things improving until the next elections unless somehow again they can paper over the cracks, and even then, who knows what 2021 onwards will bring.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Hot mess.
Who would have known that throwing money around without a strategy and hiring different managers every year is totally hit and miss. Of course they’ll still manage to be wildly successful post Messi but at the minute they need to go back to the drawing board.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
As long as they still have Messi, they will find a way to turn it around. But it looks so bad at the moment, the amount of ageing players they signed when they already have lot of them.

And also why they never try to sign Erik ten Hag? He hasn’t been as good as last season but it looks to me he meets the Barcelona playing style. I feel like he will be suitable for Barcelona and also his key Ajax player De Jong already at the club, perfect situation for him.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
They took Coutinho off Liverpool's hands for an absolute fortune (which enabled the Scousers to get Alisson and Van Dijk) to build a team so mentally fragile they couldn't hold on to a 3 goal lead at Anfield.

It is hard to believe Barto isn't a double agent at times.

RoyH1

As long as they still have Messi, they will find a way to turn it around. But it looks so bad at the moment, the amount of ageing players they signed when they already have lot of them.

And also why they never try to sign Erik ten Hag? He hasn’t been as good as last season but it looks to me he meets the Barcelona playing style. I feel like he will be suitable for Barcelona and also his key Ajax player De Jong already at the club, perfect situation for him.
Problem is that Messi is already 33 and not getting any younger. And his salary (while deserved) is a monumental post on the clubs budget, which already has the highest wage bill of any club on earth.

I agree with ten Hag as an option for them, but they need someone new at the top. Bartomeu has been a disaster. Wouldn't be surprised if Laporta returns or Guardiola surprises us and goes for the presidency.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Seen some of their fans suggest a rebuild cannot happen until they let Messi go.

SmallCaine

Would be a horrible move for Ten Hag, right now barca don't need a tactician they need someone like an ancelloti who can manage the egos of the players, until messi goes and the new coach is allowed to basically cull that squad and build it the way he wants to, no good upcoming coach should even be looking at that job.

DarkLord

Very likely they will end up this season trophyless. They need to sack Quique Sentien and get their assistant manager in as caretaker till end of the season perhaps they still have a chance to win La Liga with a new manager bounce. After the season end, they need to get a proper manager and stop messing around with all these unknown managers. You are one of the biggest football club in the world that can get any manager you want and you always go for all these nobodies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Would be a horrible move for Ten Hag, right now barca don't need a tactician they need someone like an ancelloti who can manage the egos of the players, until messi goes and the new coach is allowed to basically cull that squad and build it the way he wants to, no good upcoming coach should even be looking at that job.
No one apart from Pep can handle those egos. Senior players are gained too much power and more than the manager, the reason is because they don't like the coach and if you give them Ancelotti, it'll still be the same or worse. But if you give them Pep who is Messi's favouite then they'll be happy like a cute puppy.

I only mentioned Ten Hag because I believe his style suits Barcelona and Messi will like him. It's wrong to hire managers to satisfy the players but at the same time Barcelona has their own philosophy, the senior players want whoever the manager to follow the club tradition and I think Ten Hag is much more suitable than Ancelotti.

Nickelodeon

I'm astonished at the amount of power their players have. Dissing on a new coach when he's had a month or so in the team. They make extremely strange financial decisions such as Griezmann, Coutinho, Dembele and do not get rid soon enough to have any chance to recoup the money. Apart from Neymar (which wasn't intentional), they don't sell well. Keeping Messi on those high wages has damaged the overall financial capability of the club.

Mess of a club. Still always in contention for all major trophies though.

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
No one apart from Pep can handle those egos. Senior players are gained too much power and more than the manager, the reason is because they don't like the coach and if you give them Ancelotti, it'll still be the same or worse. But if you give them Pep who is Messi's favouite then they'll be happy like a cute puppy.

I only mentioned Ten Hag because I believe his style suits Barcelona and Messi will like him. It's wrong to hire managers to satisfy the players but at the same time Barcelona has their own philosophy, the senior players want whoever the manager to follow the club tradition and I think Ten Hag is much more suitable than Ancelotti.
You reckon they'd respect someone like Wenger/Mourinho going there?

diarm

I wish clubs would stop bailing them out. Awaiting someone paying 70m for coutinho or dembele to fund their next transfer
I'd be perfectly happy to "bail them out" if it meant swapping a player like Pjanic for a player like Arthur!

Perhaps they'd be interested in a Mata for De Jong deal if it meant they could show a £100m FFP profit on the books?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It's the truth, he takes up too much in terms of wages, influence on and off the pitch. They need a reset
When Messi finally leaves they are going to have a nightmare few years like we did post Fergie. It's really not possible to replace the irreplaceable. The drop off st the club after that little genius goes will be staggering. They only won one CL before he started. What do they have now? 5 or 6? Can't remember.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Seen some of their fans suggest a rebuild cannot happen until they let Messi go.
He’s going to retire there, or at least leave on a free to play a season in America or Argentina. It’s mad that his loyalty to the club will eventually work against their interest. Its hard to argue against the idea that his wages are currently stifling their ability to build a squad and in an ideal world they would have cashed in on him like Real did for Ronaldo. It’s a couple of seasons too late now but £200m for Messi from PSG or City and £90m / season freed up would do Barca a big favour.

dasty

Messi is on €1.3m per week, Griezmann €850k per week, Suarez €450k per week, De Jong €300k per week, Busquets €300k per week, Coutinho, Rakitic, Pique, Dembele and Umtiti are on €250k per week each, Roberto €200k per week, Vidal €180k per week, Alba and Ter Stegen €165k per week... And most of them still have multiple years left in their contract!

Their wage bill is out of control, and their financials are dire. Their next board even if Bartomeu loses the election has a hell lot to deal with.