Barcelona in crisis after six directors resign in protest at way club is run

DevilRed

:lol: You suggesting playing premier league teams is not the same as playing premier league teams? The only thing different is that he has only played the best teams in the Premiership at the time - he hasn't yet had the pleasure of playing Burnley, Norwich or Everton - you think he would find that a challenge?
Its more about playing in the premiership week in week out. With referees that allow more physical play. With the speed of the game being much quicker and taxing on your body.

There are no easy matches in the prem. We have a top 6 now, and outside of that even the likes of everton, wolves etc. can spend big money in the transfer window to attract top talent.

We also have 2 domestic cups, no winter break and the FA still prioritise TV scheduling over extra days rest for teams competing in Europe.

Nobody is suggesting he isn't a great player and hasn't had success over the best premier league clubs, but thats all in the CL.

To achieve what Ronaldo did in 3 different leagues would be difficult for someone like Messi, especially at the age of 33.

However, under pep would be his best chance because they play that similar possession football to the barcelona teams of the past.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Its basically a way to cook the books. They both say €70m/€80m in on their balance sheets but they amortize the outgoing costs.

So Arthur signs a 5 year deal at Juve. Their incoming for the season is €70m, their outgoing is 80/5 so €16m. This gives Juve a nice positive €54m in getting round FFP.
Pjanic signs a 4 year deal at Barca, Their incoming for the season is €80m, their outgoing is 70/4 so €18m. This give Barca a nice positive €62m towards FFP.

Bent as hell and unsustainable but that's the sad reality.
I don't get this. Why even make the trade in the first place?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Its more about playing in the premiership week in week out. With referees that allow more physical play. With the speed of the game being much quicker and taxing on your body.

There are no easy matches in the prem. We have a top 6 now, and outside of that even the likes of everton, wolves etc. can spend big money in the transfer window to attract top talent. There are no easy matches.

We also have 2 domestic cups, no winter break and the FA still prioritise TV scheduling over extra days rest for teams competing in Europe.

Nobody is suggesting he isn't a great player and hasn't had success over the best premier league clubs, but thats all in the CL.

To achieve what Ronaldo did in 3 different leagues would be difficult for someone like Messi, especially at the age of 33.

However, under pep would be his best chance because they play that similar possession football to the barcelona teams of the past.
Ahhhgghh first the Messi transfer forum thread is infested with this debate and now it’s moved to a thread about Barcelona’s board of directors!!

Come on guys ffs, take it to the Messi thread or create one about him

DevilRed

I mean, the worst that can happen in their ‘decline’ is being 3rd in the league. It’s not exactly as intense as the PL where there are 6/7 top 6 contenders every season is it.

Probably the most mismanaged club in world football right now though. But I don’t get it, if you can afford to pay so much for these players, why not hire a world class manager too? They will be expensive; but worth it.

I feel like they always hire managers who don’t have a say in the team compared to the senior players (specially Messi), which sets a terrible precedent all around.
The sheer amount of money they've wasted on transfer in the last few windows is astonishing.

They've pretty much missed on every transfer outside of suarez and possibly de jong (jury still out).

All the rest of the big signings like griezmann, dembele, umtiti, arthur etc. Have not panned out the way they wanted.

It honestly reminds me of when we lost our class of '92 generation. We struggled to replace them and barcelona are finding out the hard way.

Now imagine if they lose messi as well. That will truely be the end and I'd expect them to mire in "mediocrity" for a while, espcially given their financial troubles.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
I never realised it before but I've come to hate the fact that Frenkie De Jong actually went to that mess of a club. Management has been despicable for many years, their business deals have been shady, they have a slogan that is so pretentious, and because of their history with Dutch players they are so incredibly overhyped here. It's the reason why Frenkie became a fan of them, and it's the reason why he went there. Now they play him out of position, and make no good use of him. To see him passively pass around and wait for Messi to do something hurts my eyes.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How has Pjanic been at Juventus this season?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
How has Pjanic been at Juventus this season?
Below expectations. Which is not to say he was bad, but with Sarri the expectation was he'd go up a level. Hasn't happened

He makes no sense for barcelona anyways given they have Busquets and De Jong

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Below expectations. Which is not to say he was bad, but with Sarri the expectation was he'd go up a level. Hasn't happened

He makes total sense for Barcelona in their quests to add players they don't need.

Lay

Ah, no wonder Barcelona signed him then :lol:

LoneStar

The sheer amount of money they've wasted on transfer in the last few windows is astonishing.

They've pretty much missed on every transfer outside of suarez and possibly de jong (jury still out).

All the rest of the big signings like griezmann, dembele, umtiti, arthur etc. Have not panned out the way they wanted.

It honestly reminds me of when we lost our class of '92 generation. We struggled to replace them and barcelona are finding out the hard way.

Now imagine if they lose messi as well. That will truely be the end and I'd expect them to mire in "mediocrity" for a while, espcially given their financial troubles.
Yeah as someone mentioned earlier, it would make an incredible business case study on bad management.

RoyH1

I called this fiasco when Valverde was canned. Yes, they’re terribly run at the top and Valverde has his limitations, but he would have kept them consistent and top of an otherwise meh La Liga season. But their arrogance cost them big time.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
I called this fiasco when Valverde was canned. Yes, they’re terribly run at the top and Valverde has his limitations, but he would have kept them consistent and top of an otherwise meh La Liga season. But their arrogance cost them big time.
Yeah, except Setien actually won 42 points in 19 games as opposed to Valverde's 40....and the fact that results under Valverde followed a constant downward trend. His second season was worse than the first, and third started worse than the second. What ifs and all that, but there is zero evidence for the claim that he would've done better. Anyway post corona break Madrid won all their games one way or the other so it's a moot point.

padr81

Supports
Man City

There are no easy matches in the prem. We have a top 6 now, and outside of that even the likes of everton, wolves etc. can spend big money in the transfer window to attract top talent.

Most goals scored vs England's top six:
Sergio Agüero - 43
Jamie Vardy - 29
Eden Hazard - 26
Lionel Messi - 24*
Harry Kane - 22
Wayne Rooney - 20
Robin van Persie - 18

The bold one doesn't play in the Premier League and doesn't get 10 games a year vs them. Its a complete myth Messi couldn't do it in the premier league because of its intensity etc.. Sergio Aguero scores a goal every 110 minutes in the league and he's half the player. Nothing suggests Messi wouldn't score at least 1 goal per 90 minutes in the PL and put up Messi like numbers. Age might catch him but thats it. Sadly I don't think we'll ever see.

Lay

I heard they’re keeping Setien for the CL?

rimzy

They still have a very good team, we can’t deny that.
If they had a competent manger in place at the start of next season, some good summer recruitment plus all players fully fit I see no reason why they can’t reclaim back La Liga.

ter Stegan

Roberto
Lenglet, Pique
Alba

De Jong - Pjanic (double pivot)
Puig

Dembele
Suárez
Messi

Plus a strong bench of Griez, Vidal, Busquets, Fati, Umiti.

Granted they need new blood in the team but let’s not kid ourselves, this Barça team still has heaps to offer.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is Busquets really going to be benched full time now? Seems another who's obviously been a brilliant servant and legend of the club who'll they'll just keep on playing until he drops.

Fully expect it to be Busquets-De Jong-Pjanic.

rimzy

Is Busquets really going to be benched full time now? Seems another who's obviously been a brilliant servant and legend of the club who'll they'll just keep on playing until he drops.

Fully expect it to be Busquets-De Jong-Pjanic.
Puig has really impressed recently, I don’t think Busquets will be benched fulltime but I think a greater emphasis will be on other players to step up.

RashyForPM

What a disastrous club. He’s gone anyway. Fraser went and left Bournemouth in the lurch, resulting in their relegation, and Howe and the club have conducted themselves with pride and class.

Meanwhile, this supposed megaclub are doing this.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What's wore, they essentially forced the guy to accept the sale.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Most goals scored vs England's top six:
Sergio Agüero - 43
Jamie Vardy - 29
Eden Hazard - 26
Lionel Messi - 24*
Harry Kane - 22
Wayne Rooney - 20
Robin van Persie - 18

The bold one doesn't play in the Premier League and doesn't get 10 games a year vs them. Its a complete myth Messi couldn't do it in the premier league because of its intensity etc.. Sergio Aguero scores a goal every 110 minutes in the league and he's half the player. Nothing suggests Messi wouldn't score at least 1 goal per 90 minutes in the PL and put up Messi like numbers. Age might catch him but thats it. Sadly I don't think we'll ever see.
Spot on.

Actually hilarious the guy you quoted says there is no easy games in the PL. :lol:

Man City won by at least 3 goals 14 times last season. That 8 nil win against Watford was very hard fought indeed.

No easy games in PL, no two clubs dominating, no 100 points...

Back on topic, club has been horribly run for years. No money for the massive rebuild. Far too high wages, ageing squad. Wont compete for CL for a long time

Idxomer

I thought the swap deal with Pjanic already happened, what's exactly going on?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Spot on.

Actually hilarious the guy you quoted says there is no easy games in the PL. :lol:

Man City won by at least 3 goals 14 times last season. That 8 nil win against Watford was very hard fought indeed.

No easy games in PL, no two clubs dominating, no 100 points...

Back on topic, club has been horribly run for years. No money for the massive rebuild. Far too high wages, ageing squad. Wont compete for CL for a long time
Messi would of course do well in the Premier League, but you're absolutely bonkers if you think Spain has anywhere near the level of quality as the PL in its lower teams.

The Purley King

I don't understand how Barca think someone who has already agreed to join another team in a few weeks is going to give 100% in the CL for them.
Seems extremely petty, even if Arthur is being a dick about it.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Messi would of course do well in the Premier League, but you're absolutely bonkers if you think Spain has anywhere near the level of quality as the PL in its lower teams.
The lower sides in England are absolutely horrific.

Newcastle, Brighton, West Ham, Villa, Bournemouth etc. Id fancy the bottom 10 clubs in Spain to compete and beat many of the bottom 10 in England.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The lower sides in England are absolutely horrific.

Newcastle, Brighton, West Ham, Villa, Bournemouth etc. Id fancy the bottom 10 clubs in Spain to compete and beat many of the bottom 10 in England.
Then you're delusional. It's as simple as that.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Brilliant, now they will have segunda level Rakitić playing extended minutes. I can understand Arthur, he's been used as a makeweight in an utterly moronic deal whose sole purpose is balancing the books and then the club practically froze him out in the league. Unprofessional behavior it may be, but understandable.