Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

RoyH1

Any opinions on the news that the Barcelona socios have given the greenlight to a new stadium and sports complex? A further 1.5 billion in debt if I understand the plan correctly. How is this possible with their current economic situation?

lifted

Any opinions on the news that the Barcelona socios have given the greenlight to a new stadium and sports complex? A further 1.5 billion in debt if I understand the plan correctly. How is this possible with their current economic situation?
There were reports of a €1.2b investment from Dubai a few weeks ago. Who knows.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Maybe it’s not as dire as it’s been portrayed then?

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
the "espai barça" is already part of the debt, it is all not "new debt".

it includes the renovation of camp nou (it is in a very very bad shape) + 2nd stadium (2nd team and women at this point) + training facilities + sports stadium (basket+handball+etc) that will also be used for events like concerts, green areas, hotels and many other things.
the idea is to "connect" all this things and create a "barca neighborhood" with open spaces.
it will be paid in 40-50 years and it should be covered by the revenues that it will generate.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
So apparently Barcelona had the great idea of playing Alba, Piqué and De Jong while injured. They'll have to go through tests tomorrow to see how long they'll be out. Brilliant.

Rayo Vallecano 1:0 Barcelona

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Just lost 1-0 to Rayo Vallecano and currently sitting ninth in the table. Perhaps more worryingly, they are six points behind Real Betis, Real Sociedad, and Sevilla and will need to beat out two of those teams to make top four.

How much longer can Koeman realistically last?

RUCK4444

Just lost 1-0 to Rayo Vallecano and currently sitting ninth in the table. Perhaps more worryingly, they are six points behind Real Betis, Real Sociedad, and Sevilla and will need to beat out two of those teams to make top four.

Should really be doing better even with this version of Barca.

Nobody will want that job though will they?

Sviken

He's their version of Ole. We're so similarly run, it's actually quite funny.

FatTails

I hope we hire a new manager before Koeman is sacked. Barca might take one of our viable options otherwise but the bigger worry is that you never know with our board, they might decide Koeman is the one!!

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
How is he still in charge over there? I m not following Barcelona too much, but it seems results and performance has been bad. I heard that cryuff son is telling their board to keep faith in him, but surely their board should know better that Koeman isn't good enough. It seems like the only managers that are doing well at a big club are pep, klopp, Pochettino, tuchel, and perhaps Nagelsmann

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

Yeah, that's the problem. It's a poisoned chalice. I can't see anybody good (ie, already with a decent job like Ten Haag or anybody out of work but who has other options like Conte or Zidane) taking the position right now.

Syphon Wallet

How is he still in charge over there? I m not following Barcelona too much, but it seems results and performance has been bad. I heard that cryuff son is telling their board to keep faith in him, but surely their board should know better that Koeman isn't good enough. It seems like the only managers that are doing well at a big club are pep, klopp, Pochettino, tuchel, and perhaps Nagelsmann
Is it really down to Koeman?
Look at the state of the squad he has compared to a couple of years ago.
I'm mot saying he shouldn't be doing a bit better, but the squad is awful now, and it's not down to him.

Sviken

Yeah, that's the problem. It's a poisoned chalice. I can't see anybody good (ie, already with a decent job like Ten Haag or anybody out of work but who has other options like Conte or Zidane) taking the position right now.
Conte has a history of fixing broken teams, but the problem is that Barca have no money. He's desperate for a CL win and with Barca he ain't getting shit. Zidane is Madrid through and through. Ten Hag is an itneresting option, might go there, but not mid-season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Reminds me of that Van Gaal season about 20 years ago when they were bottom half going into new year.

Think LVG got sacked, they got in Raddy Antic as caretaker, signed Edgar Davids and flew up the league. Then had the summer when they signed all of Ronaldinho, Etoo, Rafa Marquez, Deco, Edmilson and a few others.

Regardless of what young players are coming through they'll probably need to get that quality in again if they want to seriously challenge for CL in 2-3 years time so pretty daunting given their financial restrictions.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Conte has a history of fixing broken teams, but the problem is that Barca have no money. He's desperate for a CL win and with Barca he ain't getting shit. Zidane is Madrid through and through. Ten Hag is an itneresting option, might go there, but not mid-season.
I was using Zidane more as an example of a type of manager than a realistic possibility. He obviously is never going to Barca.

I think the reason Koeman is still there is that the alternatives are really, really, weak and probably Laporta doesn't have much of a Plan B. But at some point they almost have to sack Koeman anyway.

Cloud7

Is it really down to Koeman?
Look at the state of the squad he has compared to a couple of years ago.
I'm mot saying he shouldn't be doing a bit better, but the squad is awful now, and it's not down to him.
Are they the 9th best squad in the league? If not then yes, a large part of that is down to the manager.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He's their version of Ole. We're so similarly run, it's actually quite funny.
They have a much worse squad though. Relying too much on overyhped academy youngsters, Depay as their main creator/threat, old guard past it's peak...
It was bound to happen.

izec

They should be around top 4, currently clearly underperforming. Koeman while decent, is not good enough for Barca.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wouldn’t surprise me if he goes before Ole. And in Barca’s case I’m not even sure they can afford to sack him

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Some say that Barca is so broke, they could not even afford to pay him out if they fire him. Might be some truth to that...

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Some say that Barca is so broke, they could not even afford to pay him out if they fire him. Might be some truth to that...
Koeman actually paid the settlement himself to join Barca so its not that difficult to believe Barca cant sack him. Infact there is a clause i read that if his tenure is not extended he will be liable for compensation.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Reminds me of that Van Gaal season about 20 years ago when they were bottom half going into new year.

Think LVG got sacked, they got in Raddy Antic as caretaker, signed Edgar Davids and flew up the league. Then had the summer when they signed all of Ronaldinho, Etoo, Rafa Marquez, Deco, Edmilson and a few others.

Regardless of what young players are coming through they'll probably need to get that quality in again if they want to seriously challenge for CL in 2-3 years time so pretty daunting given their financial restrictions.
That was the season after when they appointed Rijkard 03-04 season. At the time LvG was sacked they had a merry-go-round of sacking a manager every 10months - Serra Ferrer, Rexach, LvG again, Antic and then came Rijkard who then signed Davids in January 2004

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
FFP limitations from laliga, more than non cash.

however, if we keep missing penalties, chances without a goalkeeper and if we keep conceding in the 1st shot of the opponent (6th time shis season) you can have the best coach in the world that you will keep losing points and games.

ti vu

Since they don't have the money to compensate his contract, feel like they're waiting for certain clause to meet to lower that; or himself resign out of self respect from being their worst manager in decade result wise.

RUCK4444

Yeah they will have to do a real charm offensive on Ten Haag, he's the man they need, suits their desired style and their players down to the ground.

Must feel like such a fall from grace for them. One minute you have one of the GOAT players in the team permanently until he retires (or so it seemed) and your at least challenging for trophies as a guarantee, next minute he's gone, your skint and midtable in La Liga.

USREDEVIL

"Koeman's at the wheel"

Seriously though from what i've seen not only has his team lost most of the major stars but the remaining one's are overrated or have declined significantly. Guy is working on fumes over there.

Pep's Suit

Let's be honest, this is their level after they lost Messi and signed players like De Jong, Eric Garcia and this 2021 version of Kun. Doesn't help that "Frenkie" and Dest never justified their transfer fee / wages.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
He should resign otherwise is going to be a long season for him and is going to receive a lot of abuse by fans.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Of course they will want the Job.

Although Barca are on the decline, same as United, it's still a massive club, the squad they have isn't the shabbiest

Bole Top

United should never be mentioned in this thread. neither they are in decline, neither they are skint, neither they have shit and ageing squad. they are simply mismanaged by a manager whose next job will be at Molde or Tampere United.

Barca on the other hand is properly fecked for the next 2-3 years. I could see them wanting de Beek on loan soon, regardless of who their manager is at the time.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Alba and Pique are finished. Busquets is still alright if they're well organized.

It's strange Koeman decided to sign 3 strikers. They have an abundance of midfielders, 1 good CB and 1 good winger. Dest and De Jong are terrible.

Incredibly boring to watch. He deserves the sack.

Sanchez7

United should never be mentioned in this thread. neither they are in decline, neither they are skint, neither they have shit and ageing squad. they are simply mismanaged by a manager whose next job will be at Molde or Tampere United.

Barca on the other hand is properly fecked for the next 2-3 years. I could see them wanting de Beek on loan soon, regardless of who their manager is at the time.
This. Koeman isn't doing a great job but the squad he has isn't very good. They would do well to get top 4 under any manager imo.