Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

caid

They'll find something for sure, but the question is, will this "something" bite you in the butt 2 or 3 years from now when you have to rebuild the team and (for example) still have to pay a retired Messi or Busquets a salary that you spread over 5 years.
They can take out a loan to cover it, push it out for another 5 years :lol:

dinostar77

Question, theoretically if Messi didnt re-sign for this season and went elsewhere. How much money do Barcelona need to find to get under the La Liga Salary cap?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
They'll find something for sure, but the question is, will this "something" bite you in the butt 2 or 3 years from now when you have to rebuild the team and (for example) still have to pay a retired Messi or Busquets a salary that you spread over 5 years.
it’s a very fair point but I legit trust Laporta far more than Barto

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Question, theoretically if Messi didnt re-sign for this season and went elsewhere. How much money do Barcelona need to find to get under the La Liga Salary cap?
Still more than 100 million. Messi isn't the issue in terms of salary. He's the one holding the club together, like Spiderman and that ferry.

Probably already been said. Barca should just do a reset. Keep Messi, Pique, Basquet as a spine get rid of the others eg Griezman, Dembele etc etc , forget Depay, sign Garcia and any other ex Barca youth players who are doing well.

Then rely mostly on the academy, true they won’t win la Liga or the CL, unless if they get a group like the mid 00s , but after a few seasons they’ll be back.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The issue with the transfers is that the players clubs would be interested in, like De Jong, Pedri etc., you would think are meant to form the core of their next great team. The older players, no one will really be interested in them, especially on the money that they're on. The younger ones, there will be many takers, but if Barcelona do sell them, then where does the club go from there? What are their prospects for forming their next team when their best young players have been sold off?

It's like a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of situation when it comes to the transfers of other players.
I totally get what you’re saying but this is like declaring bankruptcy and when the bailiffs come around saying they have to take the wooden dining table and not the Porsche on the drive. They’ve completely fecked themselves yet they aren’t acting like a club taking their current predicament seriously at all - the Messi “pay cut” is insanity purely designed to bypass the La Liga FFP - they’re signing Aguero, Depay and Garcia before anyone leaves - and they think they can get a fee for griezmman and not pay off any of his insane contract. They’re totally deluded and if there was any justice in football they’d collapse like they deserve to. More than a club my arse.

dinostar77

Still more than 100 million. Messi isn't the issue in terms of salary. He's the one holding the club together, like Spiderman and that ferry.
Wow, they are gonna have to sell one of their jewels i.e. de jong to get anywhere near that figure.

The Purley King

Probably already been said. Barca should just do a reset. Keep Messi, Pique, Basquet as a spine get rid of the others eg Griezman, Dembele etc etc , forget Depay, sign Garcia and any other ex Barca youth players who are doing well.

Then rely mostly on the academy, true they won’t win la Liga or the CL, unless if they get a group like the mid 00s , but after a few seasons they’ll be back.
You do know how much griezmann currently earns right?
Not even city are paying his wages. He is there for the duration unless there is some dodgy player swap deal that cooks the books

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I totally get what you’re saying but this is like declaring bankruptcy and when the bailiffs come around saying they have to take the wooden dining table and not the Porsche on the drive. They’ve completely fecked themselves yet they aren’t acting like a club taking their current predicament seriously at all - the Messi “pay cut” is insanity purely designed to bypass the La Liga FFP - they’re signing Aguero, Depay and Garcia before anyone leaves - and they think they can get a fee for griezmman and not pay off any of his insane contract. They’re totally deluded and if there was any justice in football they’d collapse like they deserve to. More than a club my arse.
This pretty much sums it up.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I hope football fans learn from this. The constant defamed from fans for clubs to spend beyond their means is not good for the game.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
You do know how much griezmann currently earns right?
Not even city are paying his wages. He is there for the duration unless there is some dodgy player swap deal that cooks the books
He's a very good player though. His contract is till 2024. They could use his transfer fee to subsidize his wages and get him off the books.

They're stuck with all the other top earners. No one is going near the likes of Dembele and players like Alba have very little value.

De Jong and Ter Stegen would get a lot of interest (hopefully by us). Selling Pedri/Fati is not something the fans would accept.
I hope football fans learn from this. The constant defamed from fans for clubs to spend beyond their means is not good for the game.
It's fans that asked to make Dembele/Griezman/Pjanic/Coutinho/Umtiti/Roberto some of the highest-paid footballers in the world? Did their fans ask to pay 135 million for Dembele? They're a poorly run club. It has nothing to do with their fans.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It's fans that asked to make Dembele/Griezman/Pjanic/Coutinho/Umtiti/Roberto some of the highest-paid footballers in the world? Did their fans ask to pay 135 million for Dembele? They're a poorly run club. It has nothing to do with their fans.
They elect their presidents based on a series of player related promises they deliver to the fans. How is it nothing to do with the fans?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
They elect their presidents based on a series of player related promises they deliver to the fans. How is it nothing to do with the fans?
Most Barca fans aren't members and don't vote. Most fans aren't even local.

Just because you get a vote once in a while doesn't mean you're responsible. People that voted Bush aren't responsible for the 2 invasions.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They are 100% fan owned. I think that ownership structure poses some fundamental risks. The board at any one time has no incentive to preserve the long term financial future of the club, the priority is getting elected for another term. It is all about the present and all their working capital is invested into the team. What's more, the ownership structure means sporting needs will always take precedence over financial needs. I don't think that is always a good thing.

iamjacks

I wonder, are these reports of them asking the WHOLE squad to take a 50% wage reduction true?

If so, not announcing a new Messi contact makes total sense, regardless of his 'reduction' (some creative accounting I am sure!) as I can imagine it would make others more reluctant to any reductions.

And why would most of the players there agree to support the club? A large portion of the squad have been signed from other clubs, so the emotional ties are tenuous, and most players know that a club will push them out the door without much hesitation nowadays. A players career is short, loyalty in modern football is getting even more scarce, and the pandemic has made clubs struggle to increase wages and fees, so that's why we are seeing and will continue to see a lot more players running contracts down.

Basically, what I am saying is, how cheap do you think we might be able to get De Jong for? :D

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Erm, yes they are.
How could people in 2000 have known he was gonna invade 2 countries?
Or are you referring to 2004 where both candidates supported both invasions?
Do you think labour voters are responsible for the iraq invasion as well?

sugar_kane

Do we know what the stance of Barca fans are on the Messi situation?

Simplified, it seems to be the case that they are cutting down their squad and the wages of other players to keep someone who while a legend is now 34 and tried to leave the club a year ago?

Why not just let him go and start building for the future?

NoLogo

Like pretty much always a very detailed analysis by Swiss Ramble about their financial situation and quite interesting that to see that our revenue actually fell even more than theirs in 2020 due to not qualifying for the CL, which also explains why a lot of the big clubs are so hell bend on wanting a guaranteed starting spot. While we are back in the CL I find these numbers a bit worrying though, it's not like our debt is unmanageable yet but we seem to steer more and more towards murkier waters as well.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
How could people in 2000 have known he was gonna invade 2 countries?
Or are you referring to 2004 where both candidates supported both invasions?
Both wars were underway by 2004. Generally I tend to blame most Americans though, as their entire culture is extremely militaristic. Opposing an active war after a year would have been complete political suicide for the Democrats.
Do you think labour voters are responsible for the iraq invasion as well?
Generally the Labour party do not promote a militaristic position unlike the Republicans, but they did then return him in 2005. Although in fairness huge numbers of Labour voters were opposed and the alternative was the Tories who have never met a war they didn't like, so the situation is slightly different to the US.

The Purley King

He's a very good player though. His contract is till 2024. They could use his transfer fee to subsidize his wages and get him off the books.
He's 30 years old. No resale value from his next contract. On €800k pw net of tax.
Maybe someone will pony up £40m for him and all of that money + a bit extra from Barca will be needed to bring the cost per week for the purchasing side down to a "reasonable" £350k.

Its still a colossal waste of money though. I can't even add up how much he'll have cost them and they'll have to pay even more to get rid of him.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Playing players over £200k a week is substantial for any club that hasn't lost their fricking minds.

You know Chelsea and City currently have exactly 2 players each earning over that number right? Barca supposedly have at least 10.
City are clearly paying players a second wage via off the books accounts. No way do their players never ever want to leave if they are being paid the going rate of what other clubs would pay them.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I remember thinking in about 2003 that everyone would learn from Leeds United's experience ... turned out no one did really

Rossa

Find me a set of supporters anywhere that condone ridiculous laughable wages for every other player like Barca have done over the last few years.
Quite a few posters on the Car argue that footballers are worth their ridiculous wages, and that they condone their contracts due to their worth and the inflated market. Therefore, the notion is not as far fetched as you would make it.

Revaulx

Find me a set of supporters anywhere that condone ridiculous laughable wages for every other player like Barca have done over the last few years.
Blaming the fans is an easy cop out. Still, plenty on here said United should pay “whatever it takes” to retain an in-decline De Gea.

RUCK4444

Can’t we Chuck a cheeky bid in for De Jong ?

C’mon I’m riding a wave of transfer positivity, he’s be feckin perfect for us.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He's 30 years old. No resale value from his next contract. On €800k pw net of tax.
Maybe someone will pony up £40m for him and all of that money + a bit extra from Barca will be needed to bring the cost per week for the purchasing side down to a "reasonable" £350k.

Its still a colossal waste of money though. I can't even add up how much he'll have cost them and they'll have to pay even more to get rid of him.
Most of the numbers I've seen have him on less than 800k pw, but in the scenario you painted they'll be paying him 75M to subsidize his wages over his remaining contract duration. They would end up paying him 35M to feck off. Still in the short term it's 40M now, of which 25M will be left next summer. They don't really have a choice. and someone paying 40M for him with 300k salary for the next 3 years is realistic, he is very good.

Does subsidizing his wages in this way get him off the wage bill for the purposes of the Spanish FA's FFP? I think so right?

In that case they can repeat this for a few more players and use the academy to fill the bench.