Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Hulksmash

Wonder what Barcelonas wage cap will be next season if they can't sign Messi, their revenue will fall by somewhere around 30-50%
Nah man, Ronaldo is more marketable then Messi and Real Madrid Revenue didn't fell at a ( before Covid )

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Wonder what Barcelonas wage cap will be next season if they can't sign Messi, their revenue will fall by somewhere around 30-50%
According to some of the more ardent Messi fanboys, €10.

VanKenny

Definitely under 21. Beckham is on par with CR7 if not even more popular. Definitely top 2 of all time easily.
Except Cristiano has five times the amount of followers than Beckham has. Id try to guess your age but i believe even young people can check facts and think logically before speaking their mind, so my guess is something else.

Polar

I had a good laugh when I read comments from La Liga-president Javier Tebas.

“[he] believes it would have been financially doping if Manchester City had signed Lionel Messi.

“We need to establish some boundaries. Financial doping destroys football. We must really fight against this and will continue to do so”.

Talk about throwing stones in a glass house:lol:Exactly what Real Madrid and Barcelona have been doing for ages.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
To be fair, PsG and City are the reason they gave Messi that contract.
They are horrendous for the game.
Nah, Real bankrupted themselves in the early 00's with the first Galactico period. Only way they got out of it was through that land deal with Madrid Council.

Real, at least, have been living beyond their means for decades. Barca are slightly different as they only started playing real Charlie Big Potatoes with Bart Man.

Last edited:

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
Maybe that's true... But it´s also true that Barcelona did a very bad escalation with Messi's salary, plus they added awful bonuses (like 'loyalty' for not signing with other clubs).

Also, it's unquestionable that he has been one of the greatest in the history of the game, but after 2014-15 he has delivered very low unexcusable games in Champions League. He has been involved in all the trashings received from: PSG and Juventus in 16/17, Roma in 17/18, Liverpool in 18/19, Bayern 19/20, and PSG 20/21.

Barcelona's biggest problem has been not to keep Messi, but know when to get rid of him... Last year, had Bartomeu agreed to Messi leaving he would have at least received money from a transfer... Now he is free and there's no guarantee he will continue. This only puts things easier fort PSG or City to make a bid. They don't even have to worry about FFP because there's no money for a transfer...

Laporta has not been brilliant with the exits also. He just rescinded the contract of Matheus Fernandes unilaterally and planned to do the same with Pjanic and Umtiti until the brazilian sued the termination... He should have planned the exits first before the arrivals, now he is in jeopardy with the Spanish Federation over the club's salary cap.

Dark years loom ahead ovr Barcelona.

GoldanoGraham

I’m astonished at the money Barca are paying some players…..but what Messi has been milking them for is obscene - he is now 35, way past his best and they want to offload players to pay him another ridiculous salary…..the great Barca have fallen to new depths

InfiniteBoredom

Except Cristiano has five times the amount of followers than Beckham has. Id try to guess your age but i believe even young people can check facts and think logically before speaking their mind, so my guess is something else.
The ones fangirling over Beckham 20 years ago would now be in their early 30s to 40s, hardly the demographic who make up social media follower count.

I’m not even interested in this inane debate but I think you’ve consistently failed to factor that into the comparison. We just had a lot less to focus on during those days, posters of fat Ronaldo, Becks etc were pretty much everywhere that were frequented by people, their faces made it to the sport section of the evening news the majority tuned into daily. As late as the beginning of the 10s people in Asia still bought printed press for their sports news in the morning. The interest in Becks with football crowd fell off a lot once he moved to the US but at his peak in the late 90s-early 00s you can’t escape seeing his mug no matter what age group you are, it was a mania, something that can’t be accounted for with social media views/counts.

That brings itself to another point, how much social media is overrated in representation of the populace at large. I don’t remember the exact statistics but something like over half, maybe even 70% of the US population are not on Twitter and for those who do, it skews significantly younger and more liberal, which can paint a very misleading picture. The absolute bore leg of a discussion that is the GOAT debate would probably be massively different in favour of Pele/Maradona if it were to be polled and weighted properly, compared to the result of the often cited online polls.

Oranges038

Im not confusing anything. You simply cant compare the impact Beckham had on its club in 2000's to the impact Messi has in the 2020s. Its a whole different world, two decades apart. The money involved in football deals is much higher due to the impact marketing has on everything nowadays. Social media and the impact the internet has had in the last few years has been huge, you didnt see twelve year old kids getting millions of dollars a year for being good at videogames two decades ago, now you do.

Messi has almost 300M followers on social media, that alone guarantees him millions per year to any brand that signs with him, and due to relation, Barcelona gets benefitted too. Beckham was popular, yes, but 1) wasnt nearly as influential as Messi on the pitch and 2) wast as world wide known as Messi. Beckham had sponsorships too, featured in commercials, sold shirts etc, but Messi has that too, only multiplied for an X number due to the increase in media in general that we have had in the last few decades.

You open tiktok and you see Messi, you see Adidas, watch youtube and you see an ad of Ronaldo etc. Thats why wages have increased tenfold in the last two decades while you keep paying relatively the same for a dozen of eggs that you did a few decades ago. There's much more money on football now.

There is nothing "hilarious" about saying Messi is 10x more popular than Beckham was. The exposure that the showtime business and sports have nowadays literally is that much higher than back on the cable TV days. Hilarious is to post pics of Beckham with Michelle Obama as an argument, as if anybody ever said Beckham isnt popular or influential on 2021.

I know some of you are just throwing some old-men banter, but still, for anyone else that wants to discuss this seriously, the social media impact is very important to note.
It's not really worth comapring players across different generations, Best, Maradona and Pele were all extremely popular in their time. Every bit as popular across the footballing world as Messi is today. The only real difference is how much money there is and how the money is being generated.

Beckham is worth about half a billion now, most of which he has generated outside of football. He was one of the main faces of Adidas for nearly his whole career. He wouldn't have that if he wasn't known world wide which was a direct result of his footballing prowess and also partly to do with how good he looks. That CK add was a real beaut.

Messi is worth about half a billion also, most of which he has creamed out of Barcelona, with his insane contracts. He's nowhere near as popular outside of football, is not as good looking, nobody wants to see him in his underpants and has never had a movie with his name in it that wasn't a documentary.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I don't get this Matheus Fernandes thing. Did Barca really try and just terminate his contract without paying it out and without any mutual agreement? Sounds like madness.

dinostar77

I don't get this Matheus Fernandes thing. Did Barca really try and just terminate his contract without paying it out and without any mutual agreement? Sounds like madness.
Desperate times, desperate measures. Everyone is expendable apart from Messi. The superstar who is helping to sink his beloved club.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Desperate times, desperate measures. Everyone is expendable apart from Messi. The superstar who is helping to sink his beloved club.
Yeah but there's desperate and there's downright illegal. Just read that they claimed poor performance, lack of match minutes (wtf?!) and underperforming in 6 of 9 key training areas. Yet no-one bothered to mention any of this to him until he got an email telling him his contract was cancelled. There seems to be feck all chance of that standing up in court.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The entire football transfer and contract system would fall apart if you introduced the idea that clubs can fire players because they think they aren't good enough and avoid paying them that way.

Anduin

Barca have just signed Yussi Demir on loan from my local club Rapid Vienna. They really are skint as Rapid would've probably asked for 7-10 million at most. He has signed a contract extension until 2023 and has been loaned to Barca, his dream club, until June 2022. Weird times.

The entire football transfer and contract system would fall apart if you introduced the idea that clubs can fire players because they think they aren't good enough and avoid paying them that way.
the other side of the coin would also be that any player could walk away from any club fee free, irrespective of the club wanted to keep them or not.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Countinho, Griezmann, Dembele are a couple of rotten eggs in their basket.
How? By Barca buying them for large amounts and then giving them ridiculous contracts? That's their fault?

MUFC OK

It's hard to argue that we aren't heading for an era of PSG/City/Chelsea dominance. The financial power they possess versus the rest of the field is frankly obscene.

They could each spend 250m net each season for the next 10 years if they were inclined to do so.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Barca have just signed Yussi Demir on loan from my local club Rapid Vienna. They really are skint as Rapid would've probably asked for 7-10 million at most. He has signed a contract extension until 2023 and has been loaned to Barca, his dream club, until June 2022. Weird times.
It's a loan with a buy option. So not really weird.

He's a bright talented prospect.

Tallis

Countinho, Dembele and Griezmann cost like €360m, of which, they got €222m from selling Neymar.

Those busted transfers don’t explain the €1bn
plus of debt especially in what has been a commercially successful period with regular silverware until last season and regular CL football plus the €300m per year that Messi brings.

Pickle85

Countinho, Dembele and Griezmann cost like €360m, of which, they got €222m from selling Neymar.

Those busted transfers don’t explain the €1bn
plus of debt especially in what has been a commercially successful period with regular silverware until last season and regular CL football plus the €300m per year that Messi brings.
This needs to die.

shahzy

Y
Yeah but there's desperate and there's downright illegal. Just read that they claimed poor performance, lack of match minutes (wtf?!) and underperforming in 6 of 9 key training areas. Yet no-one bothered to mention any of this to him until he got an email telling him his contract was cancelled. There seems to be feck all chance of that standing up in court.
You can almost guarentee they will try to do as many illegal things that they believe they can get away with to keep Messi happy. They might as well bend over backwards and take it up the ass. Bunch of pussies

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
It's hard to argue that we aren't heading for an era of PSG/City/Chelsea dominance. The financial power they possess versus the rest of the field is frankly obscene.

They could each spend 250m net each season for the next 10 years if they were inclined to do so.
This is nonsense, Utd have outspent Chelsea by a handsome amount over the past 5 and 10 year period. Utd are also on a par with City for net spend

Even with our splurge last season our 5 year net spend is unexceptional (behind City, Utd, Everton, Arsenal, Brighton and Villa)

EDIT:

Highest Net Spend last 5 years across Europe (in Euros):

1) City - 631m
2) Utd - 586m
3) Barc - 471m

4) PSG - 455m
5) Inter - 386m
6) Everton - 346m
7) Villa - 339m
8) Milan - 311m

9) Chelsea - 308m
10) Arsenal - 299m

Last edited:

Ueanuwug

I don't know Spanish laws, but where I am from under certain conditions - such a the risk of bankruptcy - businesses are allowed to circumvent employee protection laws. At least to a certain extent.

Anduin

It's a loan with a buy option. So not really weird.

He's a bright talented prospect.
It’s weird for Rapid, as he extended his contract until 2023, just to be loaned out to a giant like Barca. Unfortunately, Yussi only wanted to go to Barcelona, so hopefully he shines in the second team and Barca pay the 10 million next year. For a club of Rapid’s size, it is a pity that the biggest talent since I’ve started watching them in the 90s now leaves (for now) for basically nothing. Well, still all the best to him.

Pickle85

Y

You can almost guarentee they will try to do as many illegal things that they believe they can get away with to keep Messi happy. They might as well bend over backwards and take it up the ass. Bunch of pussies
It's very difficult to bend over backwards AND take it up the ass simultaneously...

I hear... :nervous:

onemanarmy

Koeman's interview is actually bonkers.

- "Messi is the future of Barcelona and we have to keep him at all cost." He is 34... In Caf age that's like 57.
- "Other players have to lower their wages so we can afford a new contract for Messi". If he was my employer, I'd tell him to piss off, as most Barca players have done apparently.

0le

This is nonsense, Utd have outspent Chelsea by a handsome amount over the past 5 and 10 year period. Utd are also on a par with City for net spend

Even with our splurge last season our 5 year net spend is unexceptional (behind City, Utd, Everton, Arsenal, Brighton and Villa)

EDIT:

Highest Net Spend last 5 years across Europe (in Euros):

1) City - 631m
2) Utd - 586m
3) Barc - 471m

4) PSG - 455m
5) Inter - 386m
6) Everton - 346m
7) Villa - 339m
8) Milan - 311m

9) Chelsea - 308m
10) Arsenal - 299m
If you are going to post statistics, you should post the source of your information. For all we know you have just made all of that up or misinterpreted the source.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
People can talk all they want about how much United and City spent, but the sums on this thread are ridiculous. Where was FFP?? It wasn't made to limit newcomers, it was meant to prevent club bankruptcy. How can Griezman be on 800k a week?? 400k on De Jong, who had only had one or two good season at Ajax. The cost of keeping Messi is one thing, but spending stupidly on Couthinho, Griezman and Dembele has to be the worst business done in football, especially when wages are considered.

I'm sure Madrid's Financials aren't better, but at least you can see the result of it over the last 10 years. Most of those funds are probably allocated to the stars of their champions league dominance, which is fair.

What's baffling is all the posturing and talks about how much English clubs are spending. Chelsea, City, Liverpool and our wage bills don't look like that. It's the reason I want rid of Pogba. Some on here say, it's not our money, but it does have its costs. This is an example of that. Haaland is the next one that will demand rubbish wages.
The high wages in Spain are due to the massive taxations on high earners.... no?