Barcelona summer sales | 2023 edition

DownRiver

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...er-market-unless-raise-178m-player-sales.html

We have ruled that they can no longer sign more players': Barcelona are BANNED from entering the transfer market this summer, says LaLiga chief Javier Tebas - who reveals they must raise £178m just to comply with rules
  • If Barcelona raise £178m from player sales they could only then spend £71m
  • The club triggered several economic levers to fund a transfer spree last summer
Who are you taking?

FDJ
Araujo
Fati

BerryBerryShrew

If I assume that they'd sooner sell the Nou Camp itself than Pedri or Gavi, then FdJ (provided the fee is reasonable) and Baldé would be the only ones I'd take. Araujo is a fine player, but he's not better than Licha and only one of them can start.

If all bets are off, then Pedri and Gavi would do nicely!

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Fati? It is not certain that he will recover the level of before the knee injury.

If I assume that they'd sooner sell the Nou Camp itself than Pedri or Gavi, then FdJ (provided the fee is reasonable) and Baldé would be the only ones I'd take. Araujo is a fine player, but he's not better than Licha and only one of them can start.

If all bets are off, then Pedri and Gavi would do nicely!
Araujo, in my opinion, is one of the best centre-backs in the world. I would sign him for any team.

BerryBerryShrew

Araujo, in my opinion, is one of the best centre-backs in the world. I would sign him for any team.
Oh, I agree he's top class (and he was Barca's best player against us). But I think Licha is the best CB in the world and even if EtH was willing to play two left footed CB's together, I'm not sure if Araujo is better than Varane (both are superb).

Chief123

To be fair they could get away without any new signings and still comfortably challenge for the league title and CL.
They failed miserably at Champions League and Europa league with what they have. Not a chance they would win UCL.

AndySmith1990

I'm surprised Barcelona are in the shit and unable to sign players. When they were activating all those levers last year I remember @Niemans saying everything was fine

Lemoor

To be fair they could get away without any new signings and still comfortably challenge for the league title and CL.
They lost to both Inter and United and neither of those teams have been on CL contender level so far this season. Plus they got completely tossed by Bayern.

Orange Tree

We'll take Gavi, thanks.

And maybe Balde, if we plan on playing Shaw as CB more often.

tenpoless

I'll take:
  1. Bart Simpsons
  2. Lewandrowsy, preferably on a free because he's ancient now but still miles ahead of Weghorst
  3. Balde just to keep Ten Hag motivated

Red the Bear

Something less generic
This squared isn't good enough for Europe as previously shown, it wouldn't be no different next season.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
The difference between first or second in La Liga isn't that much in terms of money, however, going out of Europe early is not good, and will cost them.

Rojofiam

Oh, I agree he's top class (and he was Barca's best player against us). But I think Licha is the best CB in the world and even if EtH was willing to play two left footed CB's together, I'm not sure if Araujo is better than Varane (both are superb).
Araújo is right footed. Often plays RB as well for Barca.

mav_9me

Araujo is right footed. Has the rare combination of strength and pace.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Araujo and De Jong. Araujo would play a mix of rb and cb with us until Varane tails off then full time CB. De Jong to partner Cas. They’d be mental to sell Araujo though.

mav_9me

Araujo and De Jong. Araujo would play a mix of rb and cb with us until Varane tails off then full time CB. De Jong to partner Cas. They’d be mental to sell Araujo though.
Very obvious. I'd spend 150m on them if possible. Araujo and Licha would make us the best central defense in the world

Himannv

FDJ has been their best midfielder recently so it's highly unlikely they'll sell him right now. It also feels weird that they'd sell Gavi or Pedri, who have been touted as their star midfielders.

They'll probably sell the likes of Fati, Dembele, Torres, etc. Those are all good players who will combine to fetch big amounts in addition to a few other unwanted players like Dest, Lenglet, Umtiti, etc. and they'll be fine. I don't know if we'd really want any of those.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Araujo is right footed. Has the rare combination of strength and pace.
Strength and pace is not a rare combination, CBs with pace are usually strong too.

I can't think of many CBs who have pace but lacks strength. (Wouldn't consider Lindelof as CB with pace for example).

Pronewbie

Peep
This squared isn't good enough for Europe as previously shown, it wouldn't be no different next season.
They lost to both Inter and United and neither of those teams have been on CL contender level so far this season. Plus they got completely tossed by Bayern.
They are a new team that needed time to gel, with some really young talented players who can only improve next season. They'll be fine. A run to the knock-out stages of the CL without additional spending is more profitable than spending EUR100M (in fees and wages) and winning it.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Araujo is right footed. And for me he is superior to Varane, by far.

I'm surprised Barcelona are in the shit and unable to sign players. When they were activating all those levers last year I remember @Niemans saying everything was fine
In the summer you tell me if Barcelona sign or not.
And Tebas changed the FFP in December by tightening it to surreal levels.
Every time Barcelona made a move, soon Tebas created a new rule prohibiting it from doing so again.

Barcelona is much better economically and continues to lower the wage bill.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I mean, he's not, as good as he is. But he'd be great for rotation, play a mix of CB and RB for us for a couple of years before Rapha tails off and Araujo cements a place at CB. Would absolutely sign him, he'd make great sense in the immediate future but also long term.

Lemoor

They are a new team that needed time to gel, with some really young talented players who can only improve next season
Their best player is a 34 year old striker and every injury/suspension from the first XI is enough for their fans to claim that they can't function like this against any half-decent opposition. Contending for CL is not really on the cards unless they start some unprecedented improvement.

They'll be fine. A run to the knock-out stages of the CL without additional spending is more profitable than spending EUR100M (in fees and wages) and winning it.
I agree, but it's not the Barca way™. Spending 200 million on players they don't really need to appease their fans while claiming oppression from everyone is more important than building a good team.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Now its the time to be cheeky. Starting bid for FDJ; 30 mil. Followed with "take it or leave it" 40 mil bid.

RedorDead21

We play plenty of games if involved in all cup competitions for rotation to allow each player to get plenty of games. That’s before injuries.

cyberman

They are a new team that needed time to gel, with some really young talented players who can only improve next season. They'll be fine. A run to the knock-out stages of the CL without additional spending is more profitable than spending EUR100M (in fees and wages) and winning it.
But they can’t get a run in CL with this squad. It has proven time and time again over the past 18 months that they don’t have it in them and now they can’t bring anybody in and have to sell so they’ll be weaker than they are this year.

All summer I heard how top 4 and second place wasn’t good enough. They had to be there late in CL year after year or there would be riots on the street. They either lied about justifying their summer spend or they really are in trouble.
I think we’re number blind at this stage. It’s madness that a top club has to raise 200m in a summer to compete if you think about it

The Purley King

£178m is an awful lot of money to raise from player sales.
Plus they are now in the position where everyone knows they are pretty desperate and need to offload some players.
Can't see any meaningful sums being received for players like Bellerin, Umtiti, Lenglet, Dest. Fati is injured too much for anyone to take a major punt on. Lewandowski is 34. Someone might pay £40m for Raphina, but Torres' value will have plummeted, I'd almost forgotten he was there.
De Jong may have cost £70-80m last summer, but unless there are other clubs interested, could see him going as low as £50-55m, just due to the dynamics of the current situation.
Gavi, Pedri etc would be a lot more, but then if you sell one of those that surely wouldn't go down very well.
They are in deep shit, some might say entirely predictably so.

Andre Kagawa

Wouldn't the optics be quite weird if they win the La Liga (by some margins potentially) and then be forced to sell all their assets?

I'm ignorant on how deep shite they are in though, mind.

Stacks

I'll take:
  1. Bart Simpsons
  2. Lewandrowsy, preferably on a free because he's ancient now but still miles ahead of Weghorst
  3. Balde just to keep Ten Hag motivated
Lewa would be wonderful. Miles better than Martial and Weghorst.
31 apps 25 goals 6 assists and does not rely on pace

could be our Zlatan

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
They can't sell half their squad as they couldn't replace them. They could thin it out a little and use youth to plug the gaps. But doing so wouldn't give them enough money.

They'll have to sell one of their best players for a huge fee.

crossy1686

career ending
Can’t wait for the Barcelona fans to show up and tell us we’re all wrong again. Of course all the levers were legit… deluded bunch.

Fecking tumbleweed on their behalf since they got knocked out of the EL.

AndySmith1990

In the summer you tell me if Barcelona sign or not.
And Tebas changed the FFP in December by tightening it to surreal levels.
Every time Barcelona made a move, soon Tebas created a new rule prohibiting it from doing so again.

Barcelona is much better economically and continues to lower the wage bill.
You're so deluded when it comes to Barcelona it's unreal

Okey

Araujo and FDJ for me too. I also consider Gavi and Pedri unsellable. No one else there is interesting enough to me. BALDE maybe, but we're okay at LB.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Araujo isn't better than Varane but is basically a young Varane.

Frenkie is obviously the one who we'd go for. But they have plenty of quality players of course. Dembele when fit is probably the best RW in the world and would improve us the most out of the players they have after Frenkie and Lewandowski.

SparkedIntoLife

It's hard to believe in Barcelona not sneaking past any real world sanctions. They'll just invent another mythical lever and sign a crapload more players and sell deadwood. I hate to be cynical but it feels like certain clubs just get away with whatever they want because they're a key part of the footballing establishment. (And any Barca fans reading this, please note that I have huge respect for many aspects of Barca - La Masia, Tiki Taka, appointing Xavi, the Camp Nou etc.)