Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
I'll be shocked if he isn't sacked tomorrow. Interim + Ten Hag or Xavi in January.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
When did they last play in europa? 03/04 season?

Will lose to Bayern away so can only get maximum of 9 points. Could still be enough of course although they're out if Benfica get to 9 points as won't overturn the head to head.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
When did they last play in europa? 03/04 season?

Will lose to Bayern away so can only get maximum of 9 points. Could still be enough of course although they're out if Benfica get to 9 points as won't overturn the head to head.
I think 9 would be enough.
Benfica has to play 2 games against Bayern and I don't think they will get more than 1 point. Especially if you consider that they will play games 3 and 4.
When Barça plays in Munich they will be mathematically 1st with a 99% probability.

In that case, the maximum they could get is 8 (losing in Barcelona, of course)

If Barça wins against Kiev (2) and Benfica, I think we will be in the next round.
I don't really care because it is impossible to win the title, but I guess it would help the economy.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

We should be throwing money plus VDB at De Jong next summer.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Before they were fortunate to have the best player ever come through their ranks, Benfica were a more successful team so this is just normal order resuming.

We need to make a cheeky bid for De Jong.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Koeman strikes me as a nervous eater. With every lost game his gut seems to increase in size.

I kind of feel bad for Luuk de Jong really. I mean, it's not his fault Barca asked him to join, can't blame him for saying yes. He failed at Newcastle, Sevilla and Werder Bremen (Or something?), surely no one expected him to do well.

Charlie Foley

I think 9 would be enough.
Benfica has to play 2 games against Bayern and I don't think they will get more than 1 point. Especially if you consider that they will play games 3 and 4.
When Barça plays in Munich they will be mathematically 1st with a 99% probability.

In that case, the maximum they could get is 8 (losing in Barcelona, of course)

If Barça wins against Kiev (2) and Benfica, I think we will be in the next round.
I don't really care because it is impossible to win the title, but I guess it would help the economy.
Yeah, I think Benfica will get 8, I don’t expect them to win at Camp Nou. They were very lucky and to get out of the first match with a draw.

You’d think Bayern will rest players in GW 6 but who knows, they might want to knock Barca out and they are still German. Even without that, Barca with 3 wins vs Benfica and Kyiv get 9. But what if they drop points away to Kyiv? Gets really interesting then.
An interesting group now after 2 matches,I got laughed at by another Barca fan for saying this-don’t think it was you and not sure what was so funny: Benfica have a 2 result head start but Barca have easier fixtures coming up.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
Before they were fortunate to have the best player ever come through their ranks, Benfica were a more successful team so this is just normal order resuming.

We need to make a cheeky bid for De Jong.
still crying from 2009-2011 CL finals? come on guy! it's been a decade!!!!

Yeah, I think Benfica will get 8, I don’t expect them to win at Camp Nou. They were very lucky and to get out of the first match with a draw.

You’d think Bayern will rest players in GW 6 but who knows, they might want to knock Barca out and they are still German. Even without that, Barca with 3 wins vs Benfica and Kyiv get 9. But what if they drop points away to Kyiv? Gets really interesting then.
An interesting group now after 2 matches,I got laughed at by another Barca fan for saying this-don’t think it was you and not sure what was so funny: Benfica have a 2 result head start but Barca have easier fixtures coming up.
i can expect anything from barça. we could lose against benfica again or even in kiev.
that said, the situation is not as complicated as it seems when you look at the classification.

we will see, but i'm more worried about making it to the top4 in la liga.
i hope that once we have some injured back and they get at speed, we should be fine to do that.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Koeman strikes me as a nervous eater. With every lost game his gut seems to increase in size.

I kind of feel bad for Luuk de Jong really. I mean, it's not his fault Barca asked him to join, can't blame him for saying yes. He failed at Newcastle, Sevilla and Werder Bremen (Or something?), surely no one expected him to do well.
He was at Mönchengladbach, not at Bremen, but your point stands, he failed in three of the major leagues, only impressed in the Dutch league.

Robertd0803

I dont see them getting out of the group as things stand right now.

Of course a new manager could change that.

Womp

idiot
Don't even know how much of a problem Koeman is. Their team is just extremely average to poor now. Pedri, FDJ, Depay, Ter Stegen, maybe Fati (given his potential?) out of this team, and it's a very underwhelming side. Either too old or simply just overpaid dross.

Think we can help them out, wouldn't mind De Jong and Pedri. :cool:

BorisManUtd

Sad to see Barca in this state, had huge respect for that 2008-2012 team and even that 2015 team with MSN upfront was amazing. Sadly, decision making of their former president/board was shocking, it'll take years to repair the damage.

Will be interesting to see who comes in after Koeman. I don't think he survives after tonight's loss.

Inter Yer Nan

Don't even know how much of a problem Koeman is. Their team is just extremely average to poor now. Pedri, FDJ, Depay, Ter Stegen, maybe Fati (given his potential?) out of this team, and it's a very underwhelming side. Either too old or simply just overpaid dross.

Think we can help them out, wouldn't mind De Jong and Pedri. :cool:
It’s a mediocre team with a KO’d of weaknesses but Koeman is a terrible manager. His record shows this.

He’ll be gone after they lose at the weekend.

EtH

Koeman doing fantastic work. Just been a bit unlucky. Needs more time to mold that squad to his image.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Have they sacked him yet? Imagine Barca in the Europa league? Or worse out of Europe all together?

Womp

idiot
It’s a mediocre team with a KO’d of weaknesses but Koeman is a terrible manager. His record shows this.

He’ll be gone after they lose at the weekend.
I agree, but I really don't think the level of their squad is much better than Koeman as a manager. Without some serious investment I see them struggling and simply put, they just don't have the resources required. Just very mediocre all around the place at the moment.

Womp

idiot
How many years did Koeman have on his contract? Genuinely speaking, would Barcelona be able to justify paying him out/paying the wages required for a top manager?

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Don't think its his fault really. This is Barcelonas worst squad for years.

Charlie Foley

Not sure they’re quite as dead and buried as some are suggesting. They need 6 points from their next two games really though. Pressure will be on if they go into that Benfica home game having to win, and even then, unless they get 6 points from Kyiv, still have to go to Bayern and get something if Benfica win their last match at home to Kyiv.

wr8_utd

:'(
There were actually some that thought losing Messi was the best for the club. They needed him to carry them to the Top 4 and through group stages and help them continue to make the money that comes from it. They're in dire trouble without him.

Charlie Foley

How many years did Koeman have on his contract? Genuinely speaking, would Barcelona be able to justify paying him out/paying the wages required for a top manager?
I don’t think they can afford to pay him out?

I have had major doubts about him ever since Valencia where I thought he was abysmal.He did well at Southampton I think, and was pretty mediocre if memory serves correct stuff at Everton. Certainly think Netherlands would have been better off with him at the euros than that other idiot

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
There were actually some that thought losing Messi was the best for the club. They needed him to carry them to the Top 4 and through group stages and help them continue to make the money that comes from it. They're in dire trouble without him.
They won’t be. They have good players and without his gigantic salary weighing them down, they will be in for better players next summer.

A good coach with Fati, Pedri, de Jong, Depay, ter Stegen and the like will be absolutely fine.

They will be in for the likes of Pogba and Haaland and have the history and the status to attract them.

They needed Messi’s salary off the books and they needed to look forward. It’s a process but they a a massive club and will look much better next season with someone competent in charge of those players.

Rojow

Nah. They WERE an attractive place to be. In the 90s maybe, without the rich clubs around like nowadays. They are a broken team and will take years to overcome the shithouse Bartomeu did.

And big players will go only with massive wages. That's how they were atractive to some players in the last few years and now we see how that went.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I thought they'd struggle post Messi but not this much. Koeman should surely be doing a much better job with the players he has. They seem to he doing alright in La Liga but woeful CL campaign.

Mshafeek

Sort of enjoying their downfall simply for the way they behaved in the recent past - both the fans and the ownership . The arrogance, the self -entitlement fueled mismanagement - was nauseating. It is irritating that the other club with similar traits but well managed - Real - will become undisputed in Spain, but still.

dinostar77

Barcelona can't afford to sack Koeman as they would have to pay him £12mil in compensation. They are stuck with each other for now. Barcelona fans and board need to temper their expectations. Just qualifying for CL should be the aim while debts are sorted out.

It's a very mediocre team with very few assets left.

RedDevilQuebecois

Barcelona can't afford to sack Koeman as they would have to pay him £12mil in compensation. They are stuck with each other for now. Barcelona fans and board need to temper their expectations. Just qualifying for CL should be the aim while debts are sorted out.

It's a very mediocre team with very few assets left.
Either Barcelona got royally fleeced into the BS coming from the Koeman camp or Koeman's agent is excellent at getting a lucrative contract. Regardless, I can see darkness and abject misery coming for Barcelona while they have to endure their own version of David Moyes in the next couple of years at least.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
To join Barca, Koeman had to buy out the national team contract (6m) as Barca couldn't afford to. He then negotiated a deal that would see them have to pay him 12m if he was let go before the 3 years was up. They can't actually afford to sack him apparently - they don't have 12m is what I have read.

caid

I don’t think they can afford to pay him out?

I have had major doubts about him ever since Valencia where I thought he was abysmal.He did well at Southampton I think, and was pretty mediocre if memory serves correct stuff at Everton. Certainly think Netherlands would have been better off with him at the euros than that other idiot
I think the wheels were coming off a bit at Southampton when he moved on. Same with Everton actually. Both supporters seemed a bit relieved to be rid of him by the end. He seems decent enough initially but it doesn't seem to last very long and is pretty dire after a time.
Guardian had an article about him recently. Seems him and Laporte are having a fairly public war in the press and Barcelona are stuck with him for the foreseeable. Which sounds toxic as hell and will make life difficult for that group of players.

Micky Targaryen

Koeman definitely on the brink. My concern now is that Barca will replace him with some brilliant candidate (Ten Haag/Flick) and get their place restored in the league, and then we will all lament that we let another manager slip off to our rivals ala Tuchel/Klopp. And we will be stuck with Ole because of the age old "there are no good candidates left" excuse. Rinse and repeat.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
He could not play there forever though. As good as he is (was?) hes still 34 and will inevitably have to step down in a few years

The club has been run with all focus on the present and no thought for the future and now those chikens have come home to roost.