Barcelona to fire Valverde. Quique Setién to take over

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
At this point just make Messi the de-facto manager until he retires, its absolutely wild that any player in world football has the power to ignore managers the way he can. Setién's job was impossible from day 1 since Leo Messi never respected the man in the first place

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I'm reluctant to enter the Barca vs United pissing contest from the last few pages but I've watched every match both have played since the restart and United have been the better team to watch.

The average age of this Barca side must be reduced within the next 12 months or so. Riqui Puig and Ansu Fati need to playing regularly. As brilliant as he is, the reliance on Messi is unhealthy.

Handré1990

I think I should apologise to you @Daysleeper. I read your post assuming it came recently and assumed you were winding up United fans when in fact it was from the beginning of March. I reacted poorly, and I’m sorry. I was a little drunk after a great United game, which is no excuse! So there you go.

As for the debate going on, I wouldn’t feel confident meeting Barca even in next year’s CL. I do think it would be closer than last year though. Messi is still the best player in the world imo. The problem I think is the inability of the suits to build a balanced team. Messi could also become somewhat of an elephant in the room (yeah, that metaphor :lol: ) as he declines, who would have the backing and balls to drop him until it’s basically harm done, like Rooney for us. Will be interesting to see what happens.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's a good point. I had almost forgotten the shenanigans that got Rosell fired. The fact Bartomeu has managed to do a worse job than Rosell is quite astonishing.

The sad thing is, when Barcelona sold Neymar a competent executive team would have seen it as an opportunity to properly refresh the squad and fund a well thought out rebuild. As much as it makes me vomit in my own mouth, just compare what Barcelona did to what Liverpool did with the money they got from Barcelona for Coutinho.

With a better executive team Barcelona could've used the money for Neymar to make itself untouchable again. Instead, its just been error after error. Honestly, I am surprised the Barcelona members have not called for a vote of no confidence in the Bartomeu administration. No amount of promising big name signings should save it from being brought to an end ASAP.
Rosell was a crook but he actually wasn't that bad a president, and nobita wasn't a bad vice president either. Obviously he's a terrible president who has been lucky the team already had Messi and Neymar(this thanks to Rosell's shady dealings) and had the good luck that Suarez's wife had family in barcelona so when he hit the market he choose them.

Some rivals of nobita actually did try to get him unseated in 2017 but the motion didn't get enough socios to sign it, so it failed. Nobita is there because he was elected and then kept there by the socios

cyberman

I think I should apologise to you @Daysleeper. I read your post assuming it came recently and assumed you were winding up United fans when in fact it was from the beginning of March. I reacted poorly, and I’m sorry. I was a little drunk after a great United game, which is no excuse! So there you go.

As for the debate going on, I wouldn’t feel confident meeting Barca even in next year’s CL. I do think it would be closer than last year though. Messi is still the best player in the world imo. The problem I think is the inability of the suits to build a balanced team. Messi could also become somewhat of an elephant in the room (yeah, that metaphor :lol: ) as he declines, who would have the backing and balls to drop him until it’s basically harm done, like Rooney for us. Will be interesting to see what happens.
Id fancy taking on this Barca side. I thought they were a mess at OT last year and theyre even worse this season.
They simply have no legs, thats why they are continually overran in away CL games.
They play right into the hands of how Ole likes to set up as well.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Rosell was a crook but he actually wasn't that bad a president, and nobita wasn't a bad vice president either. Obviously he's a terrible president who has been lucky the team already had Messi and Neymar(this thanks to Rosell's shady dealings) and had the good luck that Suarez's wife had family in barcelona so when he hit the market he choose them.

Some rivals of nobita actually did try to get him unseated in 2017 but the motion didn't get enough socios to sign it, so it failed. Nobita is there because he was elected and then kept there by the socios
He isn't nobita but the reasons behind Tata Martinez appointment are in my opinion the fist step made toward this mess. As great as Messi is, Barcelona needs and needed a great coach and in order to pander to Messi, they appointed managers that he likes, then they signed players that he likes and played flawed tactics that he likes. And I don't blame Messi for that, I blame the people who unabled that logic which in my opinion has wasted the last 6 years of Barcelona.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Agreed, but that was Rosell's last season in charge

Granted, Rosell too walked into a great situation team-wise, and he was a big factor in Guardiola leaving, but he also fixed their finances. All in all, in his 4 seasons as president he did a more than decent job

Handré1990

Id fancy taking on this Barca side. I thought they were a mess at OT last year and theyre even worse this season.
They simply have no legs, thats why they are continually overran in away CL games.
They play right into the hands of how Ole likes to set up as well.
Yeah, we’d challenge them, no doubt. I just still think Messi on his day can dispatch anyone.

@giorno I thought they were still in a mess financially?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, we’d challenge them, no doubt. I just still think Messi on his day can dispatch anyone.

@giorno I thought they were still in a mess financially?
Not exactly, they might be in a mess now because of covid

But their current situation is a result of years of ever increasing wages and bad signings. In 2014 their finances were healthy

Handré1990

Not exactly, they might be in a mess now because of covid

But their current situation is a result of years of ever increasing wages and bad signings. In 2014 their finances were healthy
Hmm, I must be misinformed. I was under the impression they had like 70% of their earnings going to salaries.

Edit: This is from a year ago, but it says it was almost 76%: https://www.sbibarcelona.com/newsdetails/index/449

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Is it too early to consider selling Messi?
Would be a brave move for anyone.
He'll decide when he goes, probably straight to retirement, unless some random team in whoever the latest money country pony up 2m a week.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Would be a brave move for anyone.
He'll decide when he goes, probably straight to retirement, unless some random team in whoever the latest money country pony up 2m a week.
Might be the best move for them though, they can get ahead on rebuilding the team and managers won't be undermined by him. No doubt Messi is a legend, the best player Barca have ever had and one of the best of all time but he's 33 and wields far more power than any player should. He's not slowing down the team by any means but it's an issue that will come to a head eventually.

In any case, Barca need to make signings that suit their system or play a different system so the people they buy fit it.

romufc

I'm reluctant to enter the Barca vs United pissing contest from the last few pages but I've watched every match both have played since the restart and United have been the better team to watch.

The average age of this Barca side must be reduced within the next 12 months or so. Riqui Puig and Ansu Fati need to playing regularly. As brilliant as he is, the reliance on Messi is unhealthy.
I read somewhere the problem with the ageing squad is because the way Barca is run. They have elections every 4 years if I am not wrong?

So the new president would want to get a team to win during that term rather than focus on building a squad for a longer period, not sure how true that is.

Barca have a few good youngsters like you have mentioned along with De Jong but any team with Messi in it will always be reliant on him.

Barca will have to build a style to play without messi, this time will need to appoint a manager who can manage the job in my opinion.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They certainly need to start getting their huge buys of more value!
Dembele, Griezmann and Coutinho?! The money involved there is scandalous.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

No need to apologize whatsoever! All good buddy. Barca definitely have their work cut out for them and I don’t see us cleaning house until the new board gets elected in May.

Would love to see face you guys again on CL. West ham did you all proud yesterday I’m sure haha

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I read somewhere the problem with the ageing squad is because the way Barca is run. They have elections every 4 years if I am not wrong?

So the new president would want to get a team to win during that term rather than focus on building a squad for a longer period, not sure how true that is.

Barca have a few good youngsters like you have mentioned along with De Jong but any team with Messi in it will always be reliant on him.

Barca will have to build a style to play without messi, this time will need to appoint a manager who can manage the job in my opinion.
You’re right about that. Next election is May and current board won’t be eligible to continue. The other thing is that they want to maximize remaining years of the Messi era as he may have 2-3 years left as a best in the world type player.

The funny thing is, even Messi gets pissed when his teammates don’t shoot. Against Atletico yesterday Vidal was wide open against the keeper but dished it to Messi who was crowded by 5 Atletico players. He was annoyed and explained to Vidal to shoot next time.

Same thing happened with Jordi alba forcing it to messi in the second Liverpool leg and Messi looked exasperated as Alba was one on one with Allison.

romufc

You’re right about that. Next election is May and current board won’t be eligible to continue. The other thing is that they want to maximize remaining years of the Messi era as he may have 2-3 years left as a best in the world type player.

The funny thing is, even Messi gets pissed when his teammates don’t shoot. Against Atletico yesterday Vidal was wide open against the keeper but dished it to Messi who was crowded by 5 Atletico players. He was annoyed and explained to Vidal to shoot next time.

Same thing happened with Jordi alba forcing it to messi in the second Liverpool leg and Messi looked exasperated as Alba was one on one with Allison.
I think that is the biggest problem they have at the moment. Pass to Messi and it will be ok. These are not mediocre players, you have a world cup golden boot player who needs to take more responsibility.

Players need to stand up and stop waiting for Messi to produce a moment of magic. However good he is, he can carry Barca for 80% of games but when it comes to big CL and La Liga games where he is off or teams mark him out, other players need to put their hand up and take control.

That is why when Barca had Neymar they were brilliant going forward because he was someone who took charge,.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Can someone explain to this poster why Spanish clubs hold elections for club upper management?

This is so bizarre from how American sports are run, and don't recall other continental leagues running this way. Please educate me, por favor.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I think that is the biggest problem they have at the moment. Pass to Messi and it will be ok. These are not mediocre players, you have a world cup golden boot player who needs to take more responsibility.

Players need to stand up and stop waiting for Messi to produce a moment of magic. However good he is, he can carry Barca for 80% of games but when it comes to big CL and La Liga games where he is off or teams mark him out, other players need to put their hand up and take control.

That is why when Barca had Neymar they were brilliant going forward because he was someone who took charge,.
Exactly! I mean the last CL match that was a huge win for Barca that didn’t have Messi as MOTM was probably the epic psg comeback thanks to neymar. Since then, if Messi merely has a “good” game it’s not enough against the better teams of the world and we are eliminated.

Not to bring Ronaldo into this but even when he had sub par showings in the CL finals here and there, at least Bale, Benzema or Ramos stepped up.

For Barca in CL since 2015 no one else has really done anything outside of Messi, especially away from Camp Nou.

Bole Top

They certainly need to start getting their huge buys of more value!
Dembele, Griezmann and Coutinho?! The money involved there is scandalous.
don't forget Malcolm for 42 million. all that effort to sign him before Roma, only to sell him soon after without even giving him a proper chance and now they have to either play 17 year old kid on the wing or continue to waste Griez there. the way it's going, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually manage to sign Lautaro in the end and then realize he's not a good winger either.

Lee565

Would Barca be better cashin in on messi now whilst they can still get an astronomical fee?

There are plenty of sides doing fine without a messi or a Ronaldo in their team and barca look like they are going to have a real big issue with their team in about 2 seasons times in terms of replacing quite a lot of ageing players and also players possibly past their peak as well by that time like griezmann and pjanic, to then also have to replace messi in maybe 3 or 4 seasons times I cant see how they went go through a real dry spell

Handré1990

No need to apologize whatsoever! All good buddy. Barca definitely have their work cut out for them and I don’t see us cleaning house until the new board gets elected in May.

Would love to see face you guys again on CL. West ham did you all proud yesterday I’m sure haha
Thanks:) Haha, yeah, it’s been a journey, but Moyes finally did something good for us!:lol: You have every chance to arrest that decline though, will be interesting to see what happens. Puig and Fati should have big roles to play.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When you think of all the quality players we've lost over the years, and how we struggled to replace them, you get a tiny taste of the mission facing Barcelona soon.

The Siege

Can someone explain to this poster why Spanish clubs hold elections for club upper management?

This is so bizarre from how American sports are run, and don't recall other continental leagues running this way. Please educate me, por favor.
Barcelona don't have a classic 'owned by one owner' structure, they're owned by club members, about 140k of them. So they have a sort of democratic election for presidents. Any of the members can participate in the presidential election, as a long as they have 2000+ signature (don't remember the exact number) and 70 million euros (don't remember the exact number) that is treated as collateral in case the club suffers losses while you are the president.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Athletic Bilbao and Osasuna are supporters' trusts. Owned by hundreds of thousands of associates, non-profit organizations, with the associates paying a yearly membership fee to the club. The elected president must be an associate and once elected works for free, same with the rest of his board

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Every 6, but no, that's not the problem. The problem is when they elect a bad president, such as Nobita(who only got elected because they'd just won the treble and the members were suspicious that Laporta - his main rival - was only in it for his political career. He's a prominent independetista)

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Barcelona don't have a classic 'owned by one owner' structure, they're owned by club members, about 140k of them. So they have a sort of democratic election for presidents. Any of the members can participate in the presidential election, as a long as they have 2000+ signature (don't remember the exact number) and 70 million euros (don't remember the exact number) that is treated as collateral in case the club suffers losses while you are the president.
Barcelona, Real Madrid, Athletic Bilbao and Osasuna are supporters' trusts. Owned by hundreds of thousands of associates, non-profit organizations, with the associates paying a yearly membership fee to the club. The elected president must be an associate and once elected works for free, same with the rest of his board
Cheers.

Now that I think of it, only the Green Bay Packers are similarly run but cannot recall how they appoint upper management.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Cheers.

Now that I think of it, only the Green Bay Packers are similarly run but cannot recall how they appoint upper management.
Afaik the packers just have a lot of minor shareholders

It's different. The owners of barcelona pay the club for the privilege of being owners of the club, and the club is non-profit, no money goes back into their pockets

romufc

Exactly! I mean the last CL match that was a huge win for Barca that didn’t have Messi as MOTM was probably the epic psg comeback thanks to neymar. Since then, if Messi merely has a “good” game it’s not enough against the better teams of the world and we are eliminated.

Not to bring Ronaldo into this but even when he had sub par showings in the CL finals here and there, at least Bale, Benzema or Ramos stepped up.

For Barca in CL since 2015 no one else has really done anything outside of Messi, especially away from Camp Nou.
Exactly, Barca have not been the same to watch since then. They tried to get Griezman to fulfil that role, and has failed so far. Not sure what Barca fans make of him?

The way Real handled Ronaldo in the last few years was fantastic, alot of the campaign was about the rest of the team, come knock outs Ronaldo was back in full form, he was almost saving himself for CL knock outs.

But yes as you say there were other players to step up.

Bojan11

Valverde wasn’t the problem then.

Busquets has regressed badly.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
When you think Utd have problems at the back, jeez, this Barca team give some perspective

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The whole team is ageing. Setien is clueless too though.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Valverde wasn’t the problem then.

Busquets has regressed badly.
No, he was A problem, but not the biggest one

Current barcelona side needs a genuinely great manager, being merely good won't be enough to mask the team's many cracks

Busquets is still very good against the majority of teams, but he can't play against the very best opposition anymore. Great sides that press well have been feasting on him for 3 seasons now

United58

When was the last time there was no Spanish teams in the CL semi final?

Edit: just mentioned it on commentary, 7 years

Bojan11

No, he was A problem, but not the biggest one

Current barcelona side needs a genuinely great manager, being merely good won't be enough to mask the team's many cracks

Busquets is still very good against the majority of teams, but he can't play against the very best opposition anymore. Great sides that press well have been feasting on him for 3 seasons now
Don’t think their defence should be this bad. A new manager should help, but the attack needs some significant investment. Suarez is not the same player he was a few years ago.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Said it last week, people saying Juventus are much better than Barcelona are living in a dream world. Barcelona are terrible. They have no pace, no creativity, no defence.