Barcelona to fire Valverde. Quique Setién to take over

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Barcelona seems like a terrible managerial job to have.

- very little say over transfers
- winning the domestic OR champions league is not enough
- if Messi doesn't like you, you're finished
- if a newly elected president doesn't like you, you're finished
- Guardiola's Barca is the measuring stick

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

You basically described most big clubs.

Hoof the ball

Messi liked Valverde and publicly vouched for him this week and numerous times in previous moments when he was under intense criticism, but don't let that get in the way of your conspiracy theory.

Suedesi

Not his fault that they squandered the Neymar money on Dembele and Coutinho. And Barsa has always had those kind of epic collapses, even when they're very good. You think the likes of Setién could have prevented that? Heck, even Guardiola has those kinds of CL failures.
When did Guardiola's Barcelona surrender a 3-0 or 4-1lead?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Watched that in-house produced Barca docu-series - Valverde comes across as very charismatic and intelligent character. But of course, they suffered those defeats against Roma and Liverpool...

sangria

Bloody hell. fired from Watford now set to manage Barca. Talk about falling upwards
hite text
Bloody hell. fired from Watford now set to manage Barca. Talk about falling upwards

white text
I know you're joking, but Juande Ramos was fired from Spurs after 2 draws and 6 losses in their first 8 league games. His next job was coaching Real Madrid.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
We could do with more of their attitude. They don’t accept nonsense and they demand the best. While I wouldn’t want us being quite as spoiled as them in this situation, I do wish the fans held the club to what should be extremely high standards considering our wealth and size.
These are not high standards. This is politically motivated.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
What a weird move to sack him over the supercup when he has 6 months left on his contract and he’s top of the league.

He got blamed for Roma and Anfield but the main reason it happened was the players’ lack of character and their weak mentality rather than him getting his tactics wrong.

Gasolin

We could do with more of their attitude. They don’t accept nonsense and they demand the best. While I wouldn’t want us being quite as spoiled as them in this situation, I do wish the fans held the club to what should be extremely high standards considering our wealth and size.
You do realize that their main criteria is the "culture"? As a matter of fact, Ole is perfect for that as he has the culture of the club in the heart.
Yes, it's not the answer you wanted.

In short, Barcelona is Barcelona, let them have their fun and choose their manager. I hope they go through a long rebuild though.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Messi liked Valverde and publicly vouched for him this week and numerous times in previous moments when he was under intense criticism, but don't let that get in the way of your conspiracy theory.

That would explain why it took them so long to sack him.

Dr. StrangeHate

Joke of a club and joke of a fanbase if you ask me.

Valverde has them in first place in La Liga and alive in both the Cup and the Champions League. While the football is not as attractive as it used to be, the Barsa board and fans might do well to remember that Xavi and Iniesta are gone and Messi is 32. The sense of entitlement down there is ridiculous.
There is a reason they have remained at the top for so long. Just think about it, winning the league title is not good enough for them and our management is happy with a midtable position. If our club and fanbase had that attitude we wouldn't be hoping to challenge for top 4 next year.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't understand this decision.

Valverde has won 2 leagues in 2 seasons and is the leader in his third. What is wrong with that?

Hoof the ball

What a weird move to sack him over the supercup when he has 6 months left on his contract and he’s top of the league.

He got blamed for Roma and Anfield but the main reason it happened was the players’ lack of character and their weak mentality rather than him getting his tactics wrong.
The results vs. Roma and Anfield, although seemingly isolated in scope, were in the end a symptom of an ongoing issue throughout the squad. That they lost to Roma and Liverpool in such fashion is remembered, however, it's seldom mentioned how equally poor they've played in a great number of domestic games during Valverde's reign, only for moments of brilliance to disguise this fact. It's arguable that Valverde has serially got his tactics and team selection wrong, whether in win, draw or less. Most Barca fans will attest to this.

ShinjiNinja26

Valverde has won 2 leagues in 2 seasons and is the leader in his third. What is wrong with that?
Performances in the CL I’m guessing. He also gets accused of being too defensive, I don’t much of Barcelona but the football isn’t that bad surely?

JPRouve

Scout
The results vs. Roma and Anfield, although seemingly isolated in scope, were in the end a symptom of an ongoing issue throughout the squad. That they lost to Roma and Liverpool in such fashion is remembered, however, it's seldom mentioned how equally poor they've played in a great number of domestic games during Valverde's reign, only for moments of brilliance to disguise this fact. It's arguable that Valverde has serially got his tactics and team selection wrong, whether in win, draw or less. Most Barca fans will attest to this.
Exactly people who are talking about the titles seemingly haven't watched them. If you take the season where they almost went undefeated, it wasn't by playing well, it was due to Messi and Ter Stegen being unreal. They are chronically disjointed and the only thing that works is the Alba-Messi connection. But they have far more talent than almost every other teams, so they manage to win more often than not.

Hoof the ball

Exactly people who are talking about the titles seemingly haven't watched them. If you take the season where they almost went undefeated, it wasn't by playing well, it was due to Messi and Ter Stegen being unreal. They are chronically disjointed and the only thing that works is the Alba-Messi connection.
Precisely.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
The mere fact that every Real Madrid fan is disappointed with Valverde's sacking should tell you everything you need to know. :)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

What's wrong with that?

Liverpool won the Champions League because of him! He should have sacked at Anfield and forced to live in Liverpool as punishment!

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
It’s really impossible to look good as a manager when you’re blamed for everything bad that happens and then get 0 credit for everything good that happens because you have good players.

He did very well to set them up defensively in the season they almost went undefeated. Should have been fired last year purely for the team’s morale after the Copa final but the players deserved a lot more of the blame for how things have turned out in Europe than what they actually got.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Thank.

GOD.

Hopefully no more snail football, use these players correctly, develop some kind of tactic beyond "Hopefully Messi will score". Can't say I know too much about the new guy, and it is definitely odd to do it now instead of the summer. But I think people are looking at numbers and not seeing the vast amount of fans unhappy with the performances, the amount of games Barca have won because Messi or Suarez have done something amazing and not because they actually controlled the match.

Sjaakmeoff

Setien makes sense. Huge fan of Cruijff's ideas. Once said: After i saw Cruijff's Barcelona play, i finally understood how football works.

Valverde's time was up.The team was declining. And not only because of age.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
You basically described most big clubs.
Not really, especially in England. To the first point, sans Spurs, I feel most of the managers of the top 6 in the PL have a certain degree of control over transfers (seemingly greater than the Spanish clubs for sure). For point two, I can't imagine any top 6 club sacking a manager after winning the league (maybe Chelsea is an exception). To point 3, there is no Messi like figure at any big club that has the power to decide the manager's fate. Perhaps, point 4 can apply to all big clubs is you equate a new president with new ownership, but I would say it's a rare, unscheduled occurrence. Lastly, United is probably the only club that truly has a difficult managerial legacy for a successor to live up to (SAF).

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I never said Messi didn't like Valverde or wanted him sacked. Calm down and read before you jump to conclusions.

redshaw

Was coming for a while. Bad performances and poor CL runs won't cut it.

Interesting to hire the former Real Betis coach, in theory should be someone to do very well with better players.

JPRouve

Scout
Not really, especially in England. To the first point, sans Spurs, I feel most of the managers of the top 6 in the PL have a certain degree of control over transfers (seemingly greater than the Spanish clubs for sure). For point two, I can't imagine any top 6 club sacking a manager after winning the league (maybe Chelsea is an exception). To point 3, there is no Messi like figure at any big club that has the power to decide the manager's fate. Perhaps, point 4 can apply to all big clubs is you equate a new president with new ownership, but I would say it's a rare, unscheduled occurrence. Lastly, United is probably the only club that truly has a difficult managerial legacy for a successor to live up to (SAF).
Chelsea, City and Leicester sacked their manager the year after winning the PL, the only team that hasn't done it in the past decade is United. And you made several points but somehow only address one, most clubs don't give a lot of say to the manager on the transfer market, most clubs will side with their best player if he is unhappy, most managers will lose their job if the board don't like them and the mesuring stick is the highest level reached previously.

Hoof the ball

I never said Messi didn't like Valverde or wanted him sacked. Calm down and read before you jump to conclusions.

[/QUOTE

As above. It's pure conjecture to make that statement. You have zero evidence to support your assertion.

JPRouve

Scout
As above. It's pure conjecture to make that statement. You have zero evidence to support your assertion.
Even if Messi didn't like the manager, Barcelona would rightfully side with their legend and literally impossible to replace player.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

Terrible job to have, Valverde is the first manager we've fired since Van Gaal in 2003.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Chelsea, City and Leicester sacked their manager the year after winning the PL, the only team that hasn't done it in the past decade is United.
Chelsea and Leicester were both firmly in the bottom near relegation (Leicster were fighting relegation IIRC), so that isn't exactly a good comparison. City sacked their managers at the end of the season for not winning the league, not in January when they are still in a title fight.

And you made several points but somehow only address one
Actually I addressed each point. Whether or not you think the explanation is adequate is a different story.

most clubs don't give a lot of say to the manager on the transfer market
It's safe to say it varies. No manager has the final say as they are not cashing the checks and they rely on scounts, but given some of the transfer decisions and stories out of Barcelona it seems as though the manager's needs are secondary to that of the type of profile of player the board wants.

most clubs will side with their best player if he is unhappy
I would guess that Messi's happiness with the manager has a greater effect on the longevity of that manager more than any other player in the world. Of course, there is no way to quantify this.

most managers will lose their job if the board don't like them and the mesuring stick is the highest level reached previously.
I didn't dispute this. What I'm saying is Barcelona (and Real) have periodic, scheduled elections, where there can be a turnover of leadership. I would think a board with a traditional structure (appointed/voted in by the owners) would have less turnover

Regardless, of all of this, my original comment was it seemed this way. Not that my thoughts are facts.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Well, it wasn't an assertion if you cared to actually read the first line.

Barcelona SEEMS like a terrible managerial job to have.
If everything I said is true then Barcelona IS a terrible managerial job. Again, I never accused Messi of getting Valverde sacked or not liking him. Calm down.