Barcelona to fire Valverde. Quique Setién to take over

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Been thinking for a while that I really hope we get these or Real in the CL next season.

van Hooijdonk

I said that was a shambolic decision straight after Barca hired him. Clueless manager. But it's obvious that he isn't the only problem. Atrocious decision making over the last 3 years from Bartomeu and the board.

Woodenlung

This is on nobody but Bartomeu. He's overseen the disintegration of this side and wasted Messi's final year of greatness. There are two £100m attacking midfielders sat on the bench right now because they don't fit into the side. And a thirdb£100m plus player currently out on loan for the same reason. Meanwhile they've a creaking central midfield and defence.

Last edited:

Guy Incognito

Shambles of a club. Big money signings, ridiculous debt.

I know United have problems but it'd be 5x worse in a league that doesn't generate the sort of money the PL does.

Zoo

Perhaps the saddest thing is that this isn’t even surprising. There have been too many shambolic humiliations in recent years and just like the scoreline it’s reminiscent of Arsenal.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He's going to get the Lane Kiffin treatment. Hope he's able to arrange his own transportation back to Spain.

Hawks2008

As others have a said they're a spent force at the top now.

I know we've had our share of big money flops but I cannot fathom how they have spent so much money since Neymar left only to have to spend that much again (probably more) just to overhaul the team.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Said for years their transfer policy has been a joke. Time for a bit of a rethink after this humbling. Sacking Setien is the easy thing to do but there's far deeper problems there.

Think 7 of their line up are over 30 so that's something they need to shake up.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Firing a manager who won them 2 La Liga and still had them in first place in La Liga at that time for nobody. Weirdest decision.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Name another club with a worse transfer history

Bobski

Dembele, Griezeman and Coutinho, 400 million odd wasted and the last of Messi's best years(and Suarez for that matter, huge decline from him physically).

Outside of Ter Stegen and De Jong they might have to change the rest of the team within the next 2 years.

izec

Firing a manager who won them 2 La Liga and still had them in first place in La Liga at that time for nobody. Weirdest decision.
They would still have lost under Valverde tonight, and embarrassingly as well. They are playing shit for a couple of seasons now. Real improved, that is why they won the league.

Untd55

This job is career-ending; I would think twice about taking it if my bank account was full of millions.

Their signings are idiotic and yet they keep on signing players for 100m when they are not working. Their squad is ageing like mad with no replacements in sight. Messi's contract is crippling them, they have to find more money every year just to pay for it. I think that job is going to be bigger than ours; when Messi goes they are screwed.

izec

They are done for the next 5 years IMO, i can see them not winning anything for quite some time. They need a huge rebuild and a new strategy. They lost embarrassingly over the years in the CL with no change, and tonight was the pinnacle. Dead team, i predicted an embarrassment, and we got one, even worse than anyone could have imagined.

KennyBurner

Fact of the matter is you can’t blame him. The squad is aging and generally just shite.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They would still have lost under Valverde tonight, and embarrassingly as well. They are playing shit for a couple of seasons now. Real improved, that is why they won the league.
Why wasted money to fire a manager for someone worse? :nervous:And now he might be fired as well.

I actually never understand why Barcelona fans don't like Valverde. His first season was very good imo.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
There were things Barcelona could have done to lose less badly today. Possibly even get a result. But this squad is devoid of pace and power. It lacked the ingredients to really compete and that's down to decisions made long before Setien. This club wasted every penny if got for Neymar. Mad...

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Valverde finished top of the CL group with Inter & Dortmund in the group. Still had them in 1st place La Liga at that time. 12W 4D 3L was his La Liga 19/20 record. And some reason Barcelona fans wanted him gone & Barcelona board fired him. If the replacement is top manager, I understand but who is Setien?

Moiraine

If Xavi is man enough and not a P, he shouldn’t wait for the next board and come out, claim the job.

With a similar level of spending? There is none.

PSG fecked them in every way possible, they've been attempting to make up for it by dick swinging in the market ever since but instead utterly embarrass themselves again and again. That they were close to winning the league reflects extremely poorly on La Liga.

Supports
Barcelona
For at least 4 years I've been calling for Bartomeu to resign. He's terrible. The club is a mess. Abondening la masia, Political Messi, ridiculous player transfer policy..etc.. Wasted years. Only reason for his coninuity is that Messi carried us to win la liga 4 times. But the problem was always there and always evident.

Eddy_JukeZ

They have nothing.

They're in far worse shape now than in 2008.

Neymar would be stupid IMO to go back.

Lee565

If messi leaves the club this summer they are absolutely screwed co considering they cant spend big wisely to save their life at the moment

el3mel

If they hire Xavi, it'll be just continuation of how garbage they're run as a club.

Revan

Assumptionman
Firing Valverde while they were first on the table and with him having won La Lia last season, and replacing him with a farmer has to be one of te worst decisions ever.

This guy makes Moyes look like Sir Alex.