Barcelona vs Manchester United | Build-up Thread

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Actually quite happy we got them now because if they're too good for us, I'd prefer to lose now.

If we beat them, we're favourites for the whole thing. We either clean our fixture list or we go for it!
Same for me, also considering we look a bit more on a safe side in terms of Top4 race. I don't think we will win over 2 games but funny enough I expect a more even game than the finals we played in Fergie years.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Between Arsenal, barca and United... you have 3 truly elite sides in the Europa League. We're definitely underdogs for the game IMO, but it's not a big gap. Probably 60/40. The biggest thing Barca have over us is Lewandowski of course. Their midfield is class, but ours is very good as well and has plus points in different ways (though theirs is press resistant to a ridiculous level). We'll basically play the game like we played vs City, hit them on the break but we'll need more than just Rashford showing up.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to win it too but it's a lengthy competition and we're still in the other domestic cups too.

Our squad isn't THAT deep, I worry more about burn out. Cementing ourselves as a top 4 regular will put us back on the map more than a plucky cup run will.
I'm sorry to pick on you because I read it all the time in this forum, but I just hate this top 4 obsession. There is only one reason why top 4 should matter and that's because it enables you to win the CL. Winning the EL does that as well and likely gets you an even better start (an easier group because it puts you in pot 1).

Top 4 is not a trophy. Go for winning stuff you can win. United is one of the biggest (in some regard the biggest) clubs in the world and should aim for nothing less than titles

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm sorry to pick on you because I read it all the time in this forum, but I just hate this top 4 obsession. There is only one reason why top 4 should matter and that's because it enables you to win the CL. Winning the EL does that as well and likely gets you an even better start (an easier group because it puts you in pot 1).

Top 4 is not a trophy. Go for winning stuff you can win. United is one of the biggest (in some regard the biggest) clubs in the world and should aim for nothing less than titles
Unfortunately you are a little naive then.

The top 4 is vital for the extra revenue, especailly with tighter FFP rules starting. We have a sponsorship deal with Adidas that HALVES in money if we don't make the CL. It's the competition that deems whether you're a big club in the modern era.

All the big name players want to play in the CL, and most important escaping the Europa league fixtures that travel you to places like Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan etc.

Not to mention the silly Thursday / Sunday loop we get stuck in also.

Winning a Europa league title didn't do anything for Jose Mourinho, and it won't do much for us now. Stopping ourselves from YO-YOing in and out of the top 4 is 100% more vital for many reasons.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Unfortunately you are a little naive then.

The top 4 is vital for the extra revenue, especailly with tighter FFP rules starting. We have a sponsorship deal with Adidas that HALVES in money if we don't make the CL. It's the competition that deems whether you're a big club in the modern era.

All the big name players want to play in the CL, and most important escaping the Europa league fixtures that travel you to places like Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan etc.

Not to mention the silly Thursday / Sunday loop we get stuck in also.

Winning a Europa league title didn't do anything for Jose Mourinho, and it won't do much for us now. Stopping ourselves from YO-YOing in and out of the top 4 is 100% more vital for many reasons.
Oh yes of course it's important to get top 4, I wasn't doubting that. But I don't think it puts you back on the map as a top team to finish in top 4. It just makes you another Arsenal who noone in Europe takes seriously anymore. Winning stuff (regularly) does.

As I said, CL qualification should be seen a
necessary prerequisite for what actually should be your goal.

And regarding Mou's EL title, if I remember correctly at that time it didn't get you a CL place, especially not pot 1, so it didn't help for that. Now that's different.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
There's still Arsenal in the EL
There's plenty of other good teams BUT there's barely any where we have a history of being taken to the cleaners.

I'd also expect Arsenal to prioritise the league now with the huge opportunity they have, so maybe someone else takes care of them. Plus, I'd fancy EtH in a one-off duel against Arteta.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
What streak is that? Since Feb 2021 we have 11 meetings with Spanish teams and a GD of 16-6. We beat and also knock out Spanish teams regularly, it's just that we keep facing them almost every round until one eventually shithouse their way past us.
Barca has beaten us in two finals and one quarter final , Madrid in a supercup and a round of 16 and the same applies to atletico not to mention the likes of Seville and Villarreal.

Our record against them when it matters is really really bad you can't deny that.

GregM40

Would take a score draw at their place happily, or a narrow defeat, can’t believe we’ve never beaten them at Nou Camp (it’s about time). I’ll take anyone at Old Trafford currently.

Wheato

Going through to the last 8 of the Uefa cup would be decent, although, going out and concentrating on the other 3 cups up for grabs would also be okay as well. The Thursday/Sunday schedule would go back to normal. Let's face it, we need to finish in the top 4 and see that CL cash coming in, and attract better players. League cup is the lowest hanging fruit right now. After that we have the FA cup and we could be second in the PL come Wednesday night. Europe could be a big distraction.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
My excitement for this game was much higher when the Europa League draw was made. Now I'm feeling like, if we win our next two games and end up in touching distance of top, I'm not too bothered about the result.

Last November I never expected us to have a serious chance of challenging for the title. The Europa League seemed like the biggest thing we could win. It may still turn out that way if this week goes badly wrong. However, if reach next Monday with a serious chance at the title, my enthusiasm for the Europa League will wane massively. Especially considering how it clogs up the calendar.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We lost 2 CL finals to these triangles. We would be at 5 if it wasn’t for these cnuts. I hate them
Me too mate.
In retrospect we should have shithoused our way against them the way Jose's inter did but alas.

Pass and Move

Between Arsenal, barca and United... you have 3 truly elite sides in the Europa League. We're definitely underdogs for the game IMO, but it's not a big gap. Probably 60/40. The biggest thing Barca have over us is Lewandowski of course. Their midfield is class, but ours is very good as well and has plus points in different ways (though theirs is press resistant to a ridiculous level). We'll basically play the game like we played vs City, hit them on the break but we'll need more than just Rashford showing up.
I’m really not concerned about Lewendowski. As the poster below points out with the video, it’s the return of well implemented tiki-taka triangles that means we’ll have 25% possession and barely lay a finger on them.

slored1

Will be an excellent matchup. Pretty hyped for it, much rather have this than a slog against a rubbish side.

That being said I think we match up pretty well against them. Kounde will have troubles vs Rashford, Varane is experienced enough to handle Lewandowski and Bruno will operate behind Busquets to get him uncomfortable out of possession.

croadyman

My excitement for this game was much higher when the Europa League draw was made. Now I'm feeling like, if we win our next two games and end up in touching distance of top, I'm not too bothered about the result.

Last November I never expected us to have a serious chance of challenging for the title. The Europa League seemed like the biggest thing we could win. It may still turn out that way if this week goes badly wrong. However, if reach next Monday with a serious chance at the title, my enthusiasm for the Europa League will wane massively. Especially considering how it clogs up the calendar.
Yeah I feel exactly the same way,would you consider us still in with a chance IF we took 4 pts or does it have to be 6 for that to happen.

Dr. StrangeHate

I had mainly seen Barca in the CL and they were terrible. But I saw the spanish cup final and they were City level. Is spanish cup final their normal level now?

caid

Them two finals were never going to end well. We had a good team in the first but a weak midfield that always struggled against anyone decent. They were our kryptonite.
The second we just weren't very good and it would have been a smash and grab to win. We were 2 years off Moyes at that point, the rot was there.
I dont really feel like theres anything wider going on between the 2 clubs based on them games.
Even the more recent game we were frankly terrible and were in the game for way longer than i expected. That team losing to Messi conjuring 2 goals from nothing felt like the best i could have hoped for from the game. Beating PSG was a total fluke, we weren't winning anything that year, the only thing Barcelona took from us that season was a beating from someone else.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I had mainly seen Barca in the CL and they were terrible. But I saw the spanish cup final and they were City level. Is spanish cup final their normal level now?
It’s not the Spanish Cup but the Community Shield equivalent which they have commercialized, made into a 4 team mini tournament and moved to Saudi. For that reason it’s difficult to say how seriously Real was taking the whole thing.

youmeletsfly

Nah, be serious for a minute, Madrid was very bad, making Barca look City level.

Even in La Liga they have a lot of games where they look quite average and manage to get scrappy wins.

Until they're consistently playing like City, they're Europa League quality, just like us. They will reach there if they keep it up though, the signs are there.

colombianmancunian

There is no other club in football that I hate more than Barca, those finals were just unbearable.

The fact that we have to face them now in the EL gives me a feeling to strong discomfort.
I hate them too, with passion. Hate them so much I hope they go into bankruptcy and disappear from the face of earth.

But if you hate them, why do you call them using a diminutive? For me they are Barcelona when I’m decent. Otherwise I call them UEFAlona, refereelona, barcelocas, barcecunts and many other derogatory names. I just hate them.

Last edited:

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I hate them too, with passion. Hate them so much I hope they go into bankruptcy and disappear from the face of earth.

But if you hate them, why do you call them using a diminutive? For me they are Barcelona when I’m decent. Otherwise I call them UEFAlona, refereelona, barcelocas, barcecunts and many other derogatory names. I just hate them.
Honestly, I call them Barca because they do not worth the effort to write so many letters.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Nice. Also tbh I'm probably more comfortable playing them with Fred over Eriksen in the starting 11. Just think he fits the game more.

Ladron de redcafe

It’s not the Spanish Cup but the Community Shield equivalent which they have commercialized, made into a 4 team mini tournament and moved to Saudi. For that reason it’s difficult to say how seriously Real was taking the whole thing.
I still think both of the Spanish giants tend to take Clasicos seriously. So I see it slightly differently. Madrid are going through a rough patch and the fact that Barcelona bettered them doesn't necessarily mean they're world beaters at the moment.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I was sick of Xavi and Pedro. And guess what? now they have Gavi and Pedri. You cant make it up. Mess un club lever lever lever ayayay.

Lyng

Need to stop Gavi,Pedri and FDJ supplying Lewandowski if we want to get result
If you look at Real Madrid forums alot of them are talking about how Casemiro is missed, especially against Barca.
He will be key for us in locking down their midfield.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Martinez will be a big miss. Hopefully Shaw is up to the task.

2 man midfield

You don’t believe in Harry Magz the Tiki Taka Slayer? :drool:
I think it depends how we want to play it. Backs to the wall and playing on the break? Sure. I think Ten Hag is gonna try and go for them.

foolsgold

Struggling to really get hyped about this with so much happening on the domestic front right now with both cups, the double header with Leeds and other premier league games.

All being well, we should have a cup final a couple of days after the 2nd leg that feels more important than this right now.

Lee565

It's going to be another one of them games where we become too reliant on counter when facing the top sides and with eriksen and martinez out it will be amplified even more so

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
apart from a club pride thing my head says its better to be out of the Europa this season, top 4 is always an underwhelming target but this season its vital in terms of progression for ETH and also with new owners coming in to bring in top tier players for next season. I know Europa gets that too but its such an arduous campaign that for an already thin squad could eventually collapse our season. I would rather League Cup, top 4 and a good go at the FA cup.

2 man midfield

Is he suspended?
Yup. He was booked for failing to get out of the way of this:

https://dubz.co/v/v43dc1

This was his third yellow, hence the suspension. Oh and one of his other yellows was that penalty for hand ball, after the ball deflected up off his thigh. Which is literally not a pen according to the rules, and despite winning the other 5 games cost us the group, meaning we have to play this stupid play off tie in the first place. But you know, refs