Barcelona vs Manchester United | Build-up Thread

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
apart from a club pride thing my head says its better to be out of the Europa this season, top 4 is always an underwhelming target but this season its vital in terms of progression for ETH and also with new owners coming in to bring in top tier players for next season. I know Europa gets that too but its such an arduous campaign that for an already thin squad could eventually collapse our season. I would rather League Cup, top 4 and a good go at the FA cup.
It wouldn't be a bad season if we win one of the cups and get top 4, but it would be major boost in our morale and a signal that we are still relevant in Europe if we knock out Barcelona. Even if we get past them, it does not mean we will win the Europa league, but I would still prefer to see us further in the EL rather than getting out so soon.

James35

Our record v Spanish teams is shit. Barcelona top of their league dropping only 7 points and conceding just 6 goals. We will give them a decent game but I’m pretty confident we will be knocked out over two legs.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
It wouldn't be a bad season if we win one of the cups and get top 4, but it would be major boost in our morale and a signal that we are still relevant in Europe if we knock out Barcelona. Even if we get past them, it does not mean we will win the Europa league, but I would still prefer to see us further in the EL rather than getting out so soon.
my heart says the same, i would love to knock out Barca, it would be a real chest thumper to beat them. But ultimately my head says it could mean very little and the pride of that one win could cost us later. That said its great to be in this position and even having this conversation compared to last seasons nightmare.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
The timing of this is horrendous, 3 days after the 2nd leg we play a final v newcastle.

dinostar77

I dont think we have the squad depth for going deep into europa league and getting CL qualification via finishing top 4 in the league.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I think ETH probably accepts that the league is our only option for CL football.

The Barca game will simply be a benchmarking test to show how far we’ve come and how much further we’ve got to go to rub shoulders with the traditional European heavyweights. Having said that, this Barca team isn’t all that great

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
apart from a club pride thing my head says its better to be out of the Europa this season, top 4 is always an underwhelming target but this season its vital in terms of progression for ETH and also with new owners coming in to bring in top tier players for next season. I know Europa gets that too but its such an arduous campaign that for an already thin squad could eventually collapse our season. I would rather League Cup, top 4 and a good go at the FA cup.
I think the same about Barcelona. First in league and cup semifinals against Real Madrid.
The season can be very long with the Europa League.

JB7

I think ETH probably accepts that the league is our only option for CL football.

The Barca game will simply be a benchmarking test to show how far we’ve come and how much further we’ve got to go to rub shoulders with the traditional European heavyweights. Having said that, this Barca team isn’t all that great
Weird take. If you don't think this Barcelona team is that great, why do we not have a realistic chance of winning the competition given that they're the second favourites (with us being the third favourites and having already beaten the favourites this season)?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
They've been drawn against Real in the two-legged CdR semi. Hopefully they put their time and effort into the league and those two Classicos. The winner will have a walkover in the final because the other semi is weak as hell so you'd think that means more to them than the EL.

pogbasformerbarber

I have a feeling we aren't going to be "going for" Europa given the amount of matches we have with the domestic cups and a decent position for top 4. I'll be very interested to see the squad for the first match. Would be found money if we play a good first leg and then maybe we turn it on for the second.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Weird take. If you don't think this Barcelona team is that great, why do we not have a realistic chance of winning the competition given that they're the second favourites (with us being the third favourites and having already beaten the favourites this season)?
Because cup competitions have so many variables, and running the squad into the ground competing on 4 fronts and then coming up short in the league would be a nightmare scenario

Pavl3n

I know they've thrown a lot of games and couldn't make it out of their CL group, but you definitely have to look at their La Liga record. 18 played, 15 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss. Only 6 goals conceded, 14 clean sheets. That's a very strong defensive record and they have a fairly good attacking output of 37 goals, averaging > 2 goals a game.

Their record in Europe and cup games looks not so scary:
CL - 6 played, 2 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses, 12G forward, 12G against, no clean sheets (opponents Bayern, Inter and Viktoria Plzen)
Copa del Rey - 3 played, 3 wins, 10G forward, 3G against, 2 clean sheets (opponents Intercity, AD Ceuta, Real Sociedad)
Supercopa - 2 played, 1 win, 1 draw, 5G forward, 3G agains, no clean sheets (opponents Real Betis, Real Madrid)

Overall: 11 played, 6 wins, 2 draws, 3 losses, which still puts their win % at >50%.
They are not to be taken lightly, Xavi has done solid job, having them sit at the top of La Liga with 5 points lead, won the Supercopa, into the semis of Copa del Rey and still relevant in Europe albeit the Europa League.
It will be a very good test for us, but I am confident on our day we can eliminate them

delerium

Barcelona used to be crap just a while ago and now they got their mojo back. I would prefer if we both met in the Champions League instead of Europa League, but nevertheless it's a great fixture which was a bit unexpected to be honest.

We need to be on top of our game to beat these, but it's definitely doable. Not easy by any means, but doable.

nutmegrush

I just can’t see anything other than ETH going full strength every game every competition

RuudTom83

Barca don’t need the Europa distraction either…they are top of the league!

But the glamour of the tie will dictate both clubs go full strength I recon.

cyril C

Even at the expense of a few injury? If ETH rotates 5-6 players, and we manage to get through, I have absolutely no problem. The same statement goes to FA as well.

At the end of the day, no players should play 50 games a season. If there are plenty of rotation and if we manage to go far, great news, greater news for the fringe players who can show the boss their capability.

But if the same 11-ish players are going to play week in week out, then no to me. Our priority should be League Cup, since so closed, 2nd priority is EPL, FA or Europa might become 1st priority AFTER we pick League Cup, and so on.

Hence my view is, rotate 5-6 players, in particularly play McFred, go as far as you can on Europa & FA, then review the situation in March.

Son

Injuries and amount of games will be the only reason we have to fear this Barcelona. They are top of the league but not as good as Arsenal / City etc.

On the counter they will be more worried about us than we are them keeping possession a bit.

Their defence has a crazy record this season but I’m not sure of the standard of La Liga currently. We are a measuring stick for them perhaps more than they are for us this season. We’ve already faced the best around.

Last edited:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
To me, these two games could make our season. I agree that if we knock out Barca that doesn't guarantee winning the Europa but the confidence boost it would bring might be enough to carry us through to sealing a place in the top four. Losing might have the opposite effect, depending on how much ETH has improved our mental strength. Have to say, I think we need reinforcements before the window closes to get that win and we don't seem to be doing anything. Really is time to get rid of the Glazers.

I guess we'll get to see what all the Frenkie De Jong fuss is about...

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Even at the expense of a few injury? If ETH rotates 5-6 players, and we manage to get through, I have absolutely no problem. The same statement goes to FA as well.

At the end of the day, no players should play 50 games a season. If there are plenty of rotation and if we manage to go far, great news, greater news for the fringe players who can show the boss their capability.

But if the same 11-ish players are going to play week in week out, then no to me. Our priority should be League Cup, since so closed, 2nd priority is EPL, FA or Europa might become 1st priority AFTER we pick League Cup, and so on.

Hence my view is, rotate 5-6 players, in particularly play McFred, go as far as you can on Europa & FA, then review the situation in March.
It depends from what pov you see the situation.

From what we've seen, ETH does not like to rotate a lot especially in difficult games, so I can only assume he won't do it against Barcelona either.
If we are to become a big club again, ETH needs to build a strong 14-15 man squad capable to play over 50 games per season, other clubs done it in the past with the right players. From our line-up our injury prone players are Martial and Varane they need more attention, I think the others can manage more games than usual.

colombianmancunian

They also have a tight schedule, Madrid in Copa del Rey’s semi final and being first on their league puts pressure on them.

Will both teams go full strength due to it being a match against top opposition? Or will they play alternative teams due to them being involved in more winnable competitions (Copa del Rey and League Cup)?

Certainly I’ll prefer us going full strength against New Castle on the League Cup’s final, over beating Barcelona… even though I hate the cnuts with passion.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
They also have a tight schedule, Madrid in Copa del Rey’s semi final and being first on their league puts pressure on them.

Will both teams go full strength due to it being a match against top opposition? Or will they play alternative teams due to them being involved in more winnable competitions (Copa del Rey and League Cup)?

Certainly I’ll prefer us going full strength against New Castle on the League Cup’s final, over beating Barcelona… even though I hate the cnuts with passion.
United will put their best available team out, it should be pretty clear to everyone by now that ETH does not put out alternative teams

Blood Mage

We have a pretty decent midfield now but I still think Pedri, FDJ and Gavi will run rings round us unfortunately, they're so good. No shame if we lose this to be honest.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
We have a pretty decent midfield now but I still think Pedri, FDJ and Gavi will run rings round us unfortunately, they're so good. No shame if we lose this to be honest.
Diego Maradona, Bernd Schuster, [Irrelevant point] was a useful midfield at Barca, United ran rings round them in a 3-0 win

croadyman

Yeah they are very talented midfield so it's up to Casa & Sabitzer to stop these guys supplying Lewandowski which is big ask

Kelly15

I think Barcelona are going to be surprised when they play us. EtH has done a phenomenal job implementation standards and team play. We flow like a unit now. I think we have a good chance to smash them. I think our intensity and pressing could be the difference. Player for player we have a fantastic squad. Only position imo is striker they have the advantage. Should be a great couple of games.

croadyman

Someone said Sabitzer has to serve ban in next European game due to yellows accrued for Bayern,can anyone on here confirm if this is indeed correct.

cyril C

Doesnt mean i wouldnt enjoy beating barcelona over 2 legs. But pragmatic view is its better we get knocked out.
I won't say we go in for a loss, nobody play for a loss unless your uncle got pay off. We should simply rest 2-3 key players and put EPL & League Cup on higher priority. Let some of the fringe players earn their paycheque. Barca might be thinking about the same and prioritise on La Liga, who knows. If we go through, well done, if not, focus on the next game.

The same can be said on FA, but if FA is the only cup games in March, then perhaps we can afford to look at it differently.