Barrow - Man United U21 Papa John Trophy

lysglimt

Scout
Barrow with a bunch of early corners in the rain and wind - United look much better with the ball at their feet.

lysglimt

Scout
Fredricson incredibly lucky to get away with a yellow when he brought down a Barrow-player 20 yards out as the last man. Mistake by Gore that created the situation. That was a red. Poor freekick and United escape

lysglimt

Scout
Not much quality and no chances after 30 minutes

lysglimt

Scout
Penalty - the keeper tried to go past McNeill - and pushes him down from behind.

lysglimt

Scout
Brilliant penalty from McNeill - 1-0 in the 44th minute. But what a gift from the keeper

lysglimt

Scout
1-0 at halftime. No chances at all - but United got a penalty when the Barrow-goalkeeper decided to use too many touches - McNeill took the ball and the keeper pushed him down.

lysglimt

Scout
Finished 1-2

Barrow equalized early in the second half. Bennett gave away a freekick on the left and the inswining kick went in off the leg of Fredricson.

Then both teams wasted a huge chance after a defensive error. Garnacho picked up a loose backpass but keeper saved, before a Barrow-striker shot wide from 10 yards out after an awful pass from Bjorn Hardley.

2 minutes into injury time - Barrow had lifted their team, Huddlestone won the ball and hit a brilliant 40 yard cross to Garnacho. His first touch was superb, he raced towards the goal from the left and slotted the ball home.

Varun1

Wow, great finish and what a ball from Huddlestone!

Back To Madeira

I don't know why but the fact that Huddlestone is able to play in these games gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
His dribbling was very very tidy, classy finish. I think Garnacho should be out on loan if he isn’t going to play enough first team this season. I could see him doing fairly well and toughening up in the championship. I’ve always thought a championship loan or two was the best move for Pellistri and Amad. Hopefully Pellistri can find a much better loan in the January window.

How has Collyer been getting on?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Wait is that Tom Huddlestone? Playing with the U21s? Surely a relative? So confused.

Bigsid

A fantastic finish. This trophy is great for the young players but the oppostion mainly play reserve teams with Barrow fielding two players that started their last League game. I would imagine as the competition moves on the.opposition are likely to play stronger sides.

Reactions: Rood

lysglimt

Scout
Expected a lot more from Iqbal, Savage and Gore. During pre-season there were people talking about them getting chances at the first-team ahead of McTominay :) Well yesterday they played practically the reserve-team of a League-2 side - and they were all really poor. Passing was average, none of them contributed going forward and none of them controlled the midfield. Gore probably played the worst game I have ever seen him play - but in his defence he just turned 18. The other 2 turned 19 almost 6 months ago. They should be able to dominate a game like this.

Mickson

Expected a lot more from Iqbal, Savage and Gore. During pre-season there were people talking about them getting chances at the first-team ahead of McTominay :) Well yesterday they played practically the reserve-team of a League-2 side - and they were all really poor. Passing was average, none of them contributed going forward and none of them controlled the midfield. Gore probably played the worst game I have ever seen him play - but in his defence he just turned 18. The other 2 turned 19 almost 6 months ago. They should be able to dominate a game like this.
Why should Savage be able to dominate this game? I do agree that all three were poor (as most of the players were yesterday).

Demaw

Why should Savage be able to dominate this game? I do agree that all three were poor (as most of the players were yesterday).
Savage has been ordinary for us watchers in all academy games. He had a decent game in a friendly and people started talking him up. I hate to say it but I'm no fan of Iqbal either. Always seen him as really slow and lightweight, good skills but no chance. I think we get a shock after watching United in junior games and then we watch City and Chelsea's kids as you can see so much more class and potential. I know some say we get too focused on our kids and it's probably true.

As time goes on, I am now worried about Shola and Hansen not stepping up. I know they are young but size and lack of speed is a concern. I think we can say it will be out of Hannibal, Laird, Vitek, Garnacho, Mainoo, Fernandez, Amad, Pellistri,

To watch out for: Ogunneye (16) Willy K if gets fit, Jackson, McAllister: Not sure on Max O, Tyler Fredericksen yet.

Robbo*

Savage has been ordinary for us watchers in all academy games. He had a decent game in a friendly and people started talking him up. I hate to say it but I'm no fan of Iqbal either. Always seen him as really slow and lightweight, good skills but no chance. I think we get a shock after watching United in junior games and then we watch City and Chelsea's kids as you can see so much more class and potential. I know some say we get too focused on our kids and it's probably true.

As time goes on, I am now worried about Shola and Hansen not stepping up. I know they are young but size and lack of speed is a concern. I think we can say it will be out of Hannibal, Laird, Vitek, Garnacho, Mainoo, Fernandez, Amad, Pellistri,

To watch out for: Ogunneye (16) Willy K if gets fit, Jackson, McAllister: Not sure on Max O, Tyler Fredericksen yet.
what about Gore, Collyer and Mather?

Demaw

what about Gore, Collyer and Mather?
I've been a big fan of Mather and wrote it on here many times but just watching him the past two 18's games (senior player with this young group) he drifted out of the matches and also made some careless mistakes. Gore I've really enjoyed but again, as in the Barrow game, can be ordinary and should be standing out against Barrow. Collyer, seen very little so can't say. With Adam Berry and his huge wraps, I read someone say on another site that he is very skilful but weak and not the quickest. Watching him the past two games, he gets easily dispossessed and seemed to be chasing players to no avail but I realise he is very young so time is required.

I think for long time academy watchers like myself, we have seen very good kids with us seem to hit the wall at 18/19 as the extra requirements become too hard for different reasons, technical, speed, reading of the game etc.

Robbo*

I've been a big fan of Mather and wrote it on here many times but just watching him the past two 18's games (senior player with this young group) he drifted out of the matches and also made some careless mistakes. Gore I've really enjoyed but again, as in the Barrow game, can be ordinary and should be standing out against Barrow. Collyer, seen very little so can't say. With Adam Berry and his huge wraps, I read someone say on another site that he is very skilful but weak and not the quickest. Watching him the past two games, he gets easily dispossessed and seemed to be chasing players to no avail but I realise he is very young so time is required.

I think for long time academy watchers like myself, we have seen very good kids with us seem to hit the wall at 18/19 as the extra requirements become too hard for different reasons, technical, speed, reading of the game etc.
Thanks, completely with the above re Shoretire, Iqbal and Savage either hitting a wall or never having it in the first place. I’m hopefully for Hansen given his potential playmaking abilities but haven’t seen enough of Collyer, Mather or Gore to comment. funnily enough I also had a mental note of Vitek, Laird, Ogunneye, Kambwala and Fernandez as defensive potentials.