Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Bastian Schweinsteiger
Aug 1, 1984 (31)
Germany
1.83 m

The former Bayern Munich man has yet to hit the heights of his Bundesliga days, but, when fit and available last term, his presence in the Reds’ engine room provided a control and authority to the side.

Schweinsteiger made his debut as substitute against Tottenham on the opening day of the season, with his first full start coming against Newcastle three games later. Commanding displays followed throughout September, October and November, with the highlights being his low cross-shot that forced an injury-time own goal from Watford’s Troy Deeney for the winning goal at Vicarage Road, and his powerful headed equaliser in the 1-1 draw at Leicester City.

Thereafter a string of injuries fragmented, then prematurely ended his campaign, although he was able to make a full recovery in time for the European Championships in France. Schweinsteiger remains a key part of the German national side, having driven them to glory at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.​

Brophs

The One and Only
I predict this thread will be closed on or before September 1st
Hope so. His influence on the pitch is rarely there any more. His influence on the squad, if the rumours about him spending his time in Germany are true, seems to extend only to wishing players happy birthday on Twitter.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I imagine he signed on a substantial salary that not many clubs will be willing to match so it won't be as simple as "getting rid". I think he still has something to offer personally.

Mike09

I imagine he signed on a substantial salary that not many clubs will be willing to match so it won't be as simple as "getting rid". I think he still has something to offer personally.
But we might be forced to sell him to cut lose the wages. His £200k per week is ideal to pay Pogba's wage.

hirotan69er

I hope not; think he still has it in him.
For Germany definitely "yes". I mean, scoring a goal in first 5 mins after he came on at EURO? He really really looks like he's a full time player for Germany and volunteer/Sunday League player for the United.

El Zoido

For Germany definitely "yes". I mean, scoring a goal in first 5 mins after he came on at EURO? He really really looks like he's a full time player for Germany and volunteer/Sunday League player for the United.
Blame Van Gaal for that.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'd keep him. Schneiderlin-Bastian-Pogba would be a great midfield.

Robbie Boy

I would certainly keep him but I can't see him playing more than twenty odd games this season.

Last edited:

WhoDaGOAT

There's no need to keep both Carrick and Schweinsteiger.

I would get rid of the German who I thought was finished before signing here.

Prodigal7

He's still significantly better than Carrick right now. I reckon he'd be fantastic next to Pogba (hoping and assuming we sign a dynamic midfielder). Carrick would make Pogba a 1 man midfield.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think that's been the way for a while, no? I may be wrong but wasn't he a lot better at the WC2014 than he had been at Bayern for the past few seasons?

m1y2

his movement is absolutely terrible, playing like a 50 years old.. rather give chance to pereira, who knows how fit he comes back from the honeymoon

Blackwidow

I think that's been the way for a while, no? I may be wrong but wasn't he a lot better at the WC2014 than he had been at Bayern for the past few seasons?
No - he was really good in the treble season in which he seldom or never was injured. But has injury problems since about 2011 and was in a circle between rehab and playing during most of the past seasons.

sugar_kane

Hope so. His influence on the pitch is rarely there any more. His influence on the squad, if the rumours about him spending his time in Germany are true, seems to extend only to wishing players happy birthday on Twitter.
Indeed... I've fallen out of love with the idea of him being a leader in our squad since I heard about these (uncontested) stories.

When he signed for us he looked to me like he's past it somewhat, but potentially an inspiration to our players on the pitch and off. If this isn't the case I don't know why we're bothering with him.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
He's still significantly better than Carrick right now. I reckon he'd be fantastic next to Pogba (hoping and assuming we sign a dynamic midfielder). Carrick would make Pogba a 1 man midfield.
I tend to agree. I too think that we need only one of Carrick and Schweinsteiger but I'd take the German at this point.

acnumber9

He really isn't. He's done nothing of note for Utd and people are holding on to the romantic notion of the player he used to be. The reality is an unfit, out of shape player here for a cheque.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't think he's near as effective as Carrick can be for us currently.

3KDré

I am indifferent with him. I completely forgot he played for us for a while. I do remembr that at the beginning of the season he was playing well, one of our best midfielders. He controlled the tempo, calmed things down when needed, pressed with energy, kept things ticking, played some lovely through balls and flick ons etc. Then as the season went on and as he got more tired/LVGised he got worse and worse. We all know he is capable of good performances.

Selling him might be the better option tbh, because that's just another spot on the bench that could be taken by a potentially better player. Having him and Carrick is overkill. He is essentially excess, because there is no point keeping him for a few good games a season.

Either way, if we sell him or keep him I don't care to be honest.

Prodigal7

He really isn't. He's done nothing of note for Utd and people are holding on to the romantic notion of the player he used to be. The reality is an unfit, out of shape player here for a cheque.
That's exactly what people are doing with Carrick, only Basti is more mobile and showed at the world cup he might not be as good as he use to be, but he's better than Carrick. Carrick was abominable last season.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
As much as I like Bastian, if him playing prevents Pereira from getting chances, I’d be willing to let him go. And yes, it’s up to Pereira to earn those chances, but you know what I mean. As many have said, we don’t need both him and Carrick.

Yagami

Good post resistant
People just see what they want to see. Carrick comfortably outperformed Schweinsteiger last season. The occasional match where they were on the pitch at the same time they were like night and day. Schweini was wondering around like a lost dog, panting out of breath after 10 minutes, hoofing shots into row z and misplacing balls that were longer than 10 yards, whilst Carrick was dictating play, playing those incisive balls he's known for. Carrick wasn't even that good last season - not compared to his usual standard anyway, but he was so much better than Bastian.

Prodigal7

As much as I like Bastian, if him playing prevents Pereira from getting chances, I’d be willing to let him go. And yes, it’s up to Pereira to earn those chances, but you know what I mean. As many have said, we don’t need both him and Carrick.
Basti will have no impact on Pereira's game time. They play in different positions.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Basti will have no impact on Pereira's game time. They play in different positions.
How do you know whether Jose sees Pereira as a CM (he played there in the Wigan game) or not? Also in ”easier” home games I’d rather see us play with only one ”defensive” midfielder, which means that either Carrick or BFS would play and Pereira might have a chance to get some minutes.

Robbie Boy

I didn't want us to sign him at the time - despite the mass hysteria on here - as I felt that he was well past his best, mostly due to injuries. But I would have no problem keeping him around for next season as he won't be more than a squad option and it's not like he has any resale value. On the flip side, I wouldn't care if he left.

Prodigal7

People just see what they want to see. Carrick comfortably outperformed Schweinsteiger last season. The occasional match where they were on the pitch at the same time they were like night and day. Schweini was wondering around like a lost dog, panting out of breath after 10 minutes, hoofing shots into row z and misplacing balls that were longer than 10 yards, whilst Carrick was dictating play, playing those incisive balls he's known for. Carrick wasn't even that good last season - not compared to his usual standard anyway, but he was so much better than Bastian.
Well I definitely agree with you there :wenger::lol:
Carrick looked lost last season, far more so than Schweinsteiger. He was an absolute liability on and off the ball.
Not that either are top players anymore, but Schweinsteiger did comfortably more for the team.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Well I definitely agree with you there :wenger::lol:
Carrick looked lost last season, far more so than Schweinsteiger. He was an absolute liability on and off the ball.
Not that either are top players anymore, but Schweinsteiger did comfortably more for the team.
I don't disagree that Carrick looked lost and was a liability a lot of the time, too. It's just that he performed to an acceptable standard moreso than Schweinsteiger, which isn't saying much because Schweinsteiger was shockingly bad the majority of the time.

I wasn't expecting much of Schweinsteiger unlike most United supporters, but his performances last season left me very disappointed despite my expectations not being that high in the first place.

Mike09

That's exactly what people are doing with Carrick, only Basti is more mobile and showed at the world cup he might not be as good as he use to be, but he's better than Carrick. Carrick was abominable last season.
So Schweinsteiger wasn't abominable last season? What has he done last season? The world cup was two years ago, indeed you are still holding a romantic notion of the player used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.