6.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

432JuanMata

• While he has declined a good bit his calming influence, passing and ambition to win hasn't.
As most people have stated he should be rotated with Carrick til the end of the season

RikRuud

• While he has declined a good bit his calming influence, passing and ambition to win hasn't.
As most people have stated he should be rotated with Carrick til the end of the season
I agree noticed he favoured passing to the players who need confidence. Classy man.

WyoManU

Am I the only one who thinks he wasn't all that good today? I know he hasn't played in ages. Yes, I am happy to see him in our shirt. However, based solely on todays performance, nostalgia for an aging legend aside, he was pretty poor.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I also think he wasn't superb today but everything considered he was very very good. Sure the tank ran empty towards the end and he was a step too late in transition at times but I think he could play a huge role for us with a bit of added game fitness.
Especially against teams playing a high press he d be very useful to put on the pitch to change the pace of the game. Also, it's clear his passing still shows signs of excellence.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Still not convinced that JM will use him in the PL but ideally we need him and TFM to contribute in midfield with the number of games we have coming up.
On Bastian Schweinsteiger
"He is staying and he is going on the Europa League list because we opened spaces with [Memphis] Depay and [Morgan] Schneiderlin leaving. We don’t have many players; in midfield we don’t have many options, so obviously he is an option. Ninety minutes today was probably too hard for him but it was important for him to have an impact with his volley and now I think he’s happy. If he was a good professional when he was not playing, now he’s having some minutes and opportunities he’s going to be the same good professional. With so many matches and competitions, he’s going to be an option." - Mourinho, post-game.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Clearly not being shipped off this month, so might as well contribute as he's getting so well paid!

It's a farce!

This place can be seriously embarrassing at times.
Pitch folks Out for a guy who's not played a match all season and people were jumping down his throat 10 mins into the game.
Ignoring the other 9 who started the game uselessly and with no excuses for that.
Been good after getting over that inevitable rust.
You can only beat the team that's in front of you. Can't believe people are slating him just because we were playing Wigan.
Think he did very well today and has earned a chance to fight for a place against better opposition. Still plenty of games left especially if he's now included in our Europa squad.
Some of the comments earlier today were ridiculous, albeit not unusual.

I don't recall this level of animosity towards him last season, but as soon as Jose took his, what ai consider to be an extreme stance, all jumped aboard. It has been obvious from the beginning that he can not just 'cover' Carrick, but provide enough quality to compete with him.

Coming to the business end of the season, we could certainly use a leader like him in the squad, especially with our thin midfield options.
BFS had his first game in a long time, and some people sit here and argue how bad he is, instead of applauding a good match.
What's wrong with you?
Be happy for the lad, he might actually help the team this season when injuries and suspensions starts coming late in the season.
As others said, he can only play the team in front of him.
Agree completely with all of these. I cannot believe the hypocrisy around here. When a player has a good game you praise him, not criticise him. BSF still has it in him to help us win the cups and also fight for top 4.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
On a day when we were expected to win handily despite a ton o' changes we needed some calm at the back of midfield and BSF brought it ... eventually.
As the season progresses, if we're in a tough match requiring our 1st eleven, any injury to Carrick means I'd choose BSF to fill-in & not need a change in system.

Ban

Must be considered as a Carrick sub or even a start instead of him in some games.

Good game. Grew into it as the game passed, great about the goal too.

Am I the only one who thinks he wasn't all that good today? I know he hasn't played in ages. Yes, I am happy to see him in our shirt. However, based solely on todays performance, nostalgia for an aging legend aside, he was pretty poor.
Goal, assist, couple of lovely dribbels, kept it ticking in the middle. All this after not starting a single game in 7 months.

111 passes with a 92.8% success rate :eek:

"Pretty poor" my arse.

Jaybomb

Some people think I hate him. I don't. I am equally relaxed about him being around. We made the mess up by signing a former player on a long term contract, we should pay for it, big time. Clubs like Bayern do not sell players to their rivals unless they are either forced to do so or there's something wrong with them. We should have learnt our lesson with Hargreaves.

If you ask me, I think that given the right circumstances (ex loads of young players and 1-2 old players) we would have kept him. Bastian might be finished as a player but he's a magnificent leader. You will never take that out of a man. In par of experience he's our top dog. This guy lead sides to WC and CL wins. Very few players can said that

However we're not in that situation. We've got Ibra, Carrick and Rooney around. The former is still top class. The latter had been at United for a longer time. This team is in desperate need of quality and pace and at around 200k a week Bastian can't provide that
Hargreaves was massively influential in our Champions League win. Worth every penny in my book. Unsung hero.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Hargreaves was massively influential in our Champions League win. Worth every penny in my book. Unsung hero.
He was a crock. We would have been better off signing Senna who was cheaper and way better.

Eddy_JukeZ

Started badly, but his influence grew. My MOTM.

Still wary though, because Wigan aren't good.

Charlie Foley

Some people think I hate him. I don't. I am equally relaxed about him being around. We made the mess up by signing a former player on a long term contract, we should pay for it, big time. Clubs like Bayern do not sell players to their rivals unless they are either forced to do so or there's something wrong with them. We should have learnt our lesson with Hargreaves.

If you ask me, I think that given the right circumstances (ex loads of young players and 1-2 old players) we would have kept him. Bastian might be finished as a player but he's a magnificent leader. You will never take that out of a man. In par of experience he's our top dog. This guy lead sides to WC and CL wins. Very few players can said that

However we're not in that situation. We've got Ibra, Carrick and Rooney around. The former is still top class. The latter had been at United for a longer time. This team is in desperate need of quality and pace and at around 200k a week Bastian can't provide that
Bayern were not at the same level in 2007 as they were when we bought Basti. Nor did we pay anything like the same transfer fee. So I think the two situations are a bit different.

John Blund

Loved to see him play. Pogba could learn something from Basti. Basti plays it safe and simple, which keeps the ball in the team. No showboating and sloppy 10 yard passes with the backheel, like Pobga tends to do once or twice every game. And what a professional he's been - forced out by Mourinho. Forced himself back in the squad, and now he's almost starting games in PL again. Have Mourinho forced someone out, then taken them back in before?

devilish

Bayern were not at the same level in 2007 as they were when we bought Basti. Nor did we pay anything like the same transfer fee. So I think the two situations are a bit different.
We're a sleeping giant but we're still a giant. Bayern and Bastian came to a mutual agreement. The former didn't need him anymore but were willing to keep him out of respect. The latter didn't want to become a burden for them if he can help it. Well they must be thanking their god we've stepped in

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Loved to see him play. Pogba could learn something from Basti. Basti plays it safe and simple, which keeps the ball in the team. No showboating and sloppy 10 yard passes with the backheel, like Pobga tends to do once or twice every game. And what a professional he's been - forced out by Mourinho. Forced himself back in the squad, and now he's almost starting games in PL again. Have Mourinho forced someone out, then taken them back in before?
I don't know. But do you sometimes get the feeling that there is someone whispering in Jose's ear? Agree with you 100% re Pogba.

Sylar

He grew into the game. thought he played much better once Herrera came on too (but I guess being in the lead at the point helped with his freedom).
Think much like Carrick he would be more suited to a 3 man midfield or if its 2, the other guy needs to be mobile / have legs (and its a home game where we will dominate).

He will be useful for the second half of the season esp if we want to rest Carrick, and with Cup matches coming up.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Why did Mou play him today but not earlier in the season?
Admitting he was wrong?
Because earlier in the season he thought Schneiderlin had more of a chance of making it. Which was not unreasonable. Since he's let Morgan go it creates an opportunity for BFS. Come on. Isn't that obvious? He even said as much in the post-match interview.

Scholesy

Because earlier in the season he thought Schneiderlin had more of a chance of making it. Which was not unreasonable. Since he's let Morgan go it creates an opportunity for BFS. Come on. Isn't that obvious? He even said as much in the post-match interview.
Fair point but I think there was more to it, for example getting him to train with the reserves.

devilish

Bollox does a World Cup winning captain think this way aged 30. Pure garbage.

Like Totti would feel the same, or Giggs during his twilight years :lol:
None of them are DM/box to box players and had been involved in so many tackling as Bastian did. That would also explain why, at age 33 Keane was a wreck while Giggs could play till his 40s. (PS Keane's career would have probably been shorter if he played with a national team like Germany who always seem to reach at least the semi final)

But keep laughing.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Fair point but I think there was more to it, for example getting him to train with the reserves.
He definitely wanted rid of him. Obviously thought we had enough options and didn't see a future for him at the club. Now Morgan's gone that's all changed. In a way he's lucked out slightly because we'd be a bit short if he'd got his way. Only a bit short, though. I don't reckon he'll feature a whole lot more.

devilish

Schweinsteiger isn't 40.

Roy left United aged 34 only because he was kicked out, he'd been on the wane a couple of seasons by then.
Keane left because he was finished. He spent 1-2 years walking on the pitch and then he gave saf the excuse to get rid of him. Thats what happen to these sort of players. Years tackling and bullying the midfield does take its toil

Do you think saf would have kicked him at age 25 because he was mean with poor nev? Would a 25 year old keane end at celtic only to retire few months later?

Status
Not open for further replies.