Bastian Schweinsteiger announces retirement

Luke1995

At the age of 35. Had a great career, obviously, Bayern and Germany legend.

Seemed like a great signing for United and to be fair to him, had a few good games for us, but it's weird how his fitness declined so fast after the 2014 World Cup.

Your thoughts overall, guys ?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
A great player.

arthurka

Loved Bastian one of my fav modern players.
Came to the Utd party to late but he is a legend of the game. His performances for Germany at WC 2014 absolutely immense.

SoCross

Fantastic player and one of my all time favourites.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bastian fecking Schweinsteiger.

Obviously he failed here but I think Mourinho's comments (discussing how the impression he had formed of Schweinsteiger prior to becoming our manager had changed) after he left are to his credit:

What I know about Bastian as a player was a season full of injuries, a season where he almost didn't play, a season where he was not having treatment in the club, it was outside the club and I thought that was not right, the mentality was not right, it was the kind of player I would not like to have in the squad. I do [regret it], yeah. I would let him be in the squad, I know that at that moment we had too many players, if you remember we had many players in these doubtful situations, Morgan Schneiderlin, Memphis Depay, Andreas Pereira, Tyler Blackett, James Wilson. We had a huge squad in the beginning but after knowing him as a person and a professional and the way he was respecting my decisions as a manager, yes I regret [it] and there is no problem for me to admit it, because I have told him. He’s in the category of players that I feel sorry for something I did to him. I don't want to speak about him as a player, as would I buy or not buy [him]. I want to speak about him as a pro, as a human being and that was the last thing I told him before he left, ‘I was not right with you once, I have to be right with you now’. So when he was asking me to let him leave I had to say, ‘Yes, you can leave because I did it once, I cannot do it twice’so I feel sorry for the first period with him, he knows that. I will miss a good guy, a good pro, a good influence in training, a very good influence, so I could not stop him to go even though we have so many matches and we would probably need him. I had to let him go and now publicly wish him and his wife a very happy life in Chicago.

littleman

Rare transition from winger to one of the greatest midfielders of the generation.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
At the age of 35. Had a great career, obviously, Bayern and Germany legend.

Seemed like a great signing for United and to be fair to him, had a few good games for us, but it's weird how his fitness declined so fast after the 2014 World Cup.

Your thoughts overall, guys ?

His fitness was declining there already.

Massive legend for Bayern and Germany. Thanks for everything Schweini and i hope to see you at Bayern in any function in near future.

DRM

Didn't he stsrt off as a right winger or am I making that up?

Red00012

All I can remember him playing for us was his pointing. Lukaku style.

Great player though he was well finished when he arrived. Probably couldn’t believe his luck.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Shame he missed THAT pen. Must have been awful for him after that. I don't really remember much from his time with United though tbh, will probably be in one of those "did he really play for them" kind of threads in future.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
One of my favorite players from that era, wished both him and Zlatan would have come while Ferguson was still around. The leadership, skill and combativeness of that squad would have been unbelievable.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Shame he missed THAT pen. Must have been awful for him after that. I don't really remember much from his time with United though tbh, will probably be in one of those "did he really play for them" kind of threads in future.
The final pen against Chelsea? How he came back from that made me love him more. I remember in the semi-final against Real he scored the winning penalty but then in an interview after the match said he had butterflies in his stomach as he went for the penalty, that made me think he was weak mentally so I wasn't surprised when he missed the one in the final.

The next season was a huge step in his progress from being a great player to a true legend and leader on the pitch, he was always technically great but mentally he progressed a lot from that season. All German fans will agree that Lahm was the captain but Schweinsteiger was the true leader on the pitch.

One of my, if not the, favourite German players of all time. A true legend for his country and club.

Eternitiy

I still remember that game against Liverpool. He and Carrick dominated that game and made it look so easy.

Now we'll line up against Liverpool with guys like Fred, Pereira, and Matic. How sad.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
One of the most rounded central midfielders of all time - could have been plonked into just about any midfield from any era and, regardless of how they played, would have fitted in.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I still remember that game against Liverpool. He and Carrick dominated that game and made it look so easy.

Now we'll line up against Liverpool with guys like Fred, Pereira, and Matic. How sad.
You’ve somehow managed to romanticise that Carrick - Schweinsteiger midfield. A midfield that would have been absolutely stellar at its peak but was the equivalent vilant of a Matic - Matic midfield now.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
One of the best players from the past 10-15 years. Fantastic in his prime.

SambaBoy

A true box to box midfielder and a warrior. The 2014 WC was his last performances at a world class level, he was declining slightly before then but from 2009-2013 he was one of the best CM midfielders in the world.

Needham

Bastian will always be a cool name for an alpha male with style. Jawohl Bastian!

thepolice123

One of the players who made Germany a powerhouse again and the definition of a complete midfielder.

His performance in the 2014 WC final against Argentina was legendary. They absolutely battered him but he keeps coming back. The papers called him the Terminator after the match.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Bayern got rid at the right time. Remarkable transition from a decent winger to a world class CM.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Absolute legend. I loved watching him since the World Cup in Germany in 2006, where I first started to watch him properly. Magnificent player and just a shame we never got him sooner. Enjoy retirement Basti.