Gaming Batman Arkham Knight

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Couldn't find a thread for this and it's coming out in 4 days, reviews will be out today. Made by Rocksteady so it'll obviously be wonderful. Now, how can I stop playing Witcher to get into this?

Kaos

I got this for free (along with the Witcher 3) with my new graphics card.

Don't even intend to touch this until I've finished TW3.

Do you have to play the previous games to get into it? I've only got halfway into Arkham Asylum before moving on.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I got this for free (along with the Witcher 3) with my new graphics card.

Don't even intend to touch this until I've finished TW3.

Do you have to play the previous games to get into it? I've only got halfway into Arkham Asylum before moving on.
I doubt it. The series is more about action/adventure than story plots.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
Think I'll give this a miss until some GOTY version comes out with all the bells and whistles, the ludicrous amount of withheld content and DLC has really left a bad taste in my mouth.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Think I'll give this a miss until some GOTY version comes out with all the bells and whistles, the ludicrous amount of withheld content and DLC has really left a bad taste in my mouth.
Agree - I know games are costing more and more to develop, but they are also not exactly cheap to buy.

It is annoying once you have paid for the game (over here they are over 60 euros) and then have a multitude of additional content that you must pay to be able to access.

I do not object to paying for genuine DLC - such as the updates that GTA IV had last gen - both of those were substantial additions to the main game. But the never ending stream of minor additions - maps, outfits, weapons etc that should really be included from day one is frustrating.

Am sure this is done not to entice people to buy individual items, but just to stump up for the season pass - simply because it is less hassle to pay once (actually twice) for the content. It's become a stealth way of raising the price of games to over 80 euros.

I bought the season pass for DriveClub, and have to say that that particular one has proved excellent value for money in my eyes. But to me that feels as thought they are adding to the longevity of the game, rather than simply trying to maximise revenue. Small difference I know, and it is just perception in the end, but that chart Atilla posted in the other Batman thread sums up how ridiculous it has become:

Somewhere along the way they have forgotten that people just want to buy the game from the place they find most convenient, and then be able to enjoy the full experience. This new model serves more to remind you what you don't have, than what you have.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
Agree - I know games are costing more and more to develop, but they are also not exactly cheap to buy.

It is annoying once you have paid for the game (over here they are over 60 euros) and then have a multitude of additional content that you must pay to be able to access.

I do not object to paying for genuine DLC - such as the updates that GTA IV had last gen - both of those were substantial additions to the main game. But the never ending stream of minor additions - maps, outfits, weapons etc that should really be included from day one is frustrating.

Am sure this is done not to entice people to buy individual items, but just to stump up for the season pass - simply because it is less hassle to pay once (actually twice) for the content. It's become a stealth way of raising the price of games to over 80 euros.

I bought the season pass for DriveClub, and have to say that that particular one has proved excellent value for money in my eyes. But to me that feels as thought they are adding to the longevity of the game, rather than simply trying to maximise revenue. Small difference I know, and it is just perception in the end, but that chart Atilla posted in the other Batman thread sums up how ridiculous it has become:

Somewhere along the way they have forgotten that people just want to buy the game from the place they find most convenient, and then be able to enjoy the full experience. This new model serves more to remind you what you don't have, than what you have.
I think the point in bold is the most cynical aspect of all of this tbh, feck that season pass horseshit, if I buy your game let me play your fecking game.

AA is probably in my top 5 of all time and I loved Arkham City, but for the time being Rocksteady can do one regarding Arkham Knight.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Got it preordered, should arrive Tuesday. Looking forward to it.

Castia

Can't wait for this, I finished all 3 games so far it's a great series. The Batmobile looks interesting and it's nice to see Rocksteady making the game again.

After just finishing Witcher 3 though my standards are through the roof at the moment it will be interesting playing 2 huge games so close together.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
91 on metacritic so far.

NM

Can't wait for this. Hope they rerelase Asylum and City too. Origins was ok

Nickosaur

I need to get both this and The Witcher 3 after I get back from Glastonbury. Hardly got any time to be playing games at the moment so they'll both probably keep me busy until Xmas :drool: / :nervous:

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I'd bet money on it being worse than Arkham Asylum & City but better than Original. I reckon it'll be very good on its own but constant comparisons to City and Asylum will be where it falls.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The first 2 games were fantastic, Asylum is my favourite of the 3 so far. Origins was a big let down but with Rocksteady back, I can't wait to play this.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah Asylum was always my favourite. It's out in four days? Blimey. I'll have to get it in, reviews looking positive.

Bojan11

I was big fan of Asylum but couldn't get into City. Just felt empty.

I've heard every review say the bat mobile missions are terrible.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
@swooshboy
Fully agree with that sentiment. It's fecking infuriating these days. "Standard edition" "premium edition" "ultimate edition" etc etc.

Games are already so fecking expensive. & not to mention the knobs you get whomactuallynspemd money on "buying their way to the top" by purchasing the best weapons or players etc, instead of just doing it the "hard" way.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I was big fan of Asylum but couldn't get into City. Just felt empty.

I've heard every review say the bat mobile missions are terrible.
Wut?

I think you should go back and give it another go. I can't put one over the other, Asylum was amazing because it was so intense and confined, City was amazing because everything was opened up for you. The fighting did get a tad repetitive at times, and yeah some of the missions were poor, but on a whole it's still a 9/10 game, a solid 8/10 at least.

Hopefully AK will be better than both, my hopes are really high for this game. This and the new Battlefront could be two of the best games ever made.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
@Alock1 Do you know which countrys store on the Xbox market place is the cheapest place to buy this? Cheers.

Last edited:

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Can't wait for this, I get bored with most Video games these days but the Batman games have always kept me interested.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Do I need to play Arkham Asylum and Arkham City before I start this game? Never played them but quite interested in Arkham Knight.

PvsNP

Do I need to play Arkham Asylum and Arkham City before I start this game? Never played them but quite interested in Arkham Knight.
Yes. They are all linked. Arkham Knight is the final chapter. You don't need to play Arkham Origins though.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Read this - not sure how accurate it is:

'Batman: Arkham Knight' PS4 Version Needs 3.5 GB Day-One Patch
Posted Sun Jun 21, 2015 at 12:01 PM PDT by Connor Sears

Batman's biggest foe is low data caps.

Day-one patches for games are pretty standard in this day and age, especially for players who still like to buy physical editions of blockbuster titles. Still, it's never fun to have to wait for a 3.5 GB patch to download when you finally get your copy come launch day, and it looks like that's what everyone waiting to play 'Batman: Arkham Knight' will have to deal with this week.

According to one lucky duck on the PS4 subreddit who got his copy of 'Arkham Knight' early, PS4 players are looking at a 3.5 GB download before they even get to play the game. So if you have iffy connection speeds, you might be waiting a bit longer than you anticipated before you're able to don the 'Arkham' cowl for the last time.