Bayern v Man Utd | Post Match

The United

Is there a level of football or type of fixture where it isn't completely unacceptable to deliberately give the ball back to the other team over and over?

Because that's what we were doing from every single goal kick and defensive set piece. Not even trying to play football and instead punting it long, despite having no one in the team capable of winning or flicking on the ball, and no one in a position to get to a second ball anyway. Just deliberately kicking the ball back to the other team.

Utterly pathetic. I know it's pre-season but someone explain to me how it being a friendly makes this less stupid? If anything it makes it worse since the only semi viable reason for this nonsense is because you're too scared to try and play...which makes no sense in a game where the result has no consequence.
Jose wants people to think that way so no one knows our new way and tricks for the new season.

I think people need to see a bigger picture here. He is a world class manager and THE master at playing mind games.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
guys can say "it's only preseason" all they want, but the fact is that we should be a lot closer to being ready than Bayern and we got dominated. One team's season starts on Friday, the other team's season starts in 19 days. Judging by today's game, you'd think it was the other way around.

we generated nothing, sat back all game and tried to defend a 0-1 loss. Pathetic.
Spoken like someone who has never coached a second in his life. So just to please people like you Jose should have gone on all blazes against a better team 5 days before the first PL game? Explain to me how thats a good idea.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
something about match fitness and er, it's only a 'friendly'.

If It's only a friendly why don't we try to play some expansive football? Oh, yeah, right, cause Pogda, Luakau and Jesse Lingard aren't here.

Yet, you see every player at City, Liverpool try to follow a clear plan on how to play football.

Mourinho is a fecking moaning, negative, cowardly little man. He doesn't deserve to be anywhere near United. Quicker the better.

AndyJ1985

I stand corrected. poor poor display. Surely, a shot or two on target isnt asking for to much with the likes of rashford, Sanchez and Mata in the team.
Incredibly some people would have you believe that because we are missing Lukaku and Pogba we are being unreasonable to expect a few shots on goal.

AgentP

Stats:

So what does everyone make of our pre-season? Ready to face Leicester next Friday?
Don't care about the result but the possession and shots stat is really damning. Pretty embarrassing stuff considering this is the team that's going to play on Friday.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Honest question to pretty much anyone here.

Is the personnel insufficient to play the system Mourinho intends to play, or, is the system insufficient to maximise the present capabilities of the players we already have at our disposal?
The latter.

settembrini

Was our one shot that long range hit and hope from Fred that went about 20 yards wide?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Let me make this easy for you. Its a friendly and we have players missing.
You're actually not contributing anything are you? The poster made a valid point and all you do is be patronising?

:houllier:

Son Of Sam

You're completely missing the point. People are annoyed about the result are they?
You are the one missing the point. Will Jose ever start that team in any PL game? If he won’t, why so hysterical?

LVG beat Roma, Real Madrid, Valencia & Liverpool in his preseason games only to go & lose scandalously to Swansea & then get plastered 4-0 by MK Dons few weeks later.

That alone should be your evidence that preseason games is the square root of f@ck all. It has no effect on the grand scheme of things.

Hoof the ball

It does actually but you dont want to acknowledge it. Carry on
No it doesn't.
As you know, results aren't as important in pre-season as general performance is. Real notched 15 shots to our 6, and 70% possession. That we won doesn't negate performance related issues; meanwhile, as per your example in the other thread, Juve lost, yet, their general performance vs Madrid was better, managing 10 shots to Madrid's 12, conceding fewer shots and retaining more possession.

Juve losing is less important than the fact that Juve played well, which is, the very thing which carries into the season, as opposed to a poor performance which results in a win. That, however, does not.

mikey_d

Spoken like someone who has never coached a second in his life. So just to please people like you Jose should have gone on all blazes against a better team 5 days before the first PL game? Explain to me how thats a good idea.
it's not going all 'blazes' to expect us to demonstrate what should be our superior fitness due to how far we are in our pre-season vs theirs. it's not also going all 'blazes' to try and have a shot on target.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
If we can carry on playing turd football we will be looking to reduce OT capacity to 20k.

Ramshock

it's not going all 'blazes' to expect us to demonstrate what should be our superior fitness due to how far we are in our pre-season vs theirs. it's not also going all 'blazes' to try and have a shot on target.
What is this our pre season vs theres they have played games too and have more star players available than us. Why are you people avoiding facts ffs?

Infestissumam

Mourinho doesn't have to go on all blazes to please me, I'd honestly be happy with some signs of positive things to come. There are quite a few shades between "all blazes" and "lethargic".

Son Of Sam

Is the personnel insufficient to play the system Mourinho intends to play, or, is the system insufficient to maximise the present capabilities of the players we already have at our disposal?
90% of those players will lose a game to any pub side. Too many deadweights in the squad. Shaw & Darmian are complete liabilities. If you add Jones/Smalling to the equation, you have a disaster waiting to happen.

liamp

I get that we're missing players, but it's not like you only apply coaching to your starting XI. Whether it be because of injuries or rotation, we're going to heavily utilize most of the players that started the game today. If you look as disjointed and aimless as we did today and attribute it to the absence of a core 3-4 players, the real problem is that you're essentially saying you can only play proper football with those players in your lineup.

ash_86

It wasn't a good performance by United. We were not able to retain the ball for few minutes together. We were missing Pogba , Matic and Lukaku but that shouldn't be the only cause for us not having a proper go at Bayern. Hopefully we will do better Friday!

Ramshock

Mourinho doesn't have to go on all blazes to please me, I'd honestly be happy with some signs of positive things to come. There are quite a few shades between "all blazes" and "lethargic".
Yeah but theres also a lot of shades between that team and our starting 11 not to mention Bayern were playing in the game too with a strong selection.

walsh

90% of those players will lose a game to any pub side. Too many deadweights in the squad. Shaw & Darmian are complete liabilities. If you add Jones/Smalling to the equation, you have a disaster waiting to happen.
I genuinely worry at some of the posts I read from United fans, that first sentence is bonkers.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Juan Mata, Alexis Sanchez and Marcus Rashford would lose against a pub side? You must live near a pretty ridiculous Sunday league!!

Bobski

I get that we're missing players, but it's not like you only apply coaching to your starting XI. Whether it be because of injuries or rotation, we're going to heavily utilize most of the players that started the game today. If you look as disjointed and aimless as we did today and attribute it to the absence of a core 3-4 players, the real problem is that you're essentially saying you can only play proper football with those players in your lineup.
Or that the attacking gameplan is all about moments of individual quality and there is nothing in the way of a team wide system or identifiable style of play to fall back on.

Utd don't play proper football with those players missing in the line up, they just have better players finding moments of magic within the dross.

buckooo1978

Put it this way, I don't think Jose will be hugely disappointed by the result tonight. The issues are there for all to see.
we do need to strengthen left back and the right wing for sure - he needs a couple of key signings to try and have a big impact on the way we play

I don't see him doing anything to improve our style of play and the players look devoid of confidence/ideas/creativity so he's relying on Woodward bringing players in

in spite of the additions we need he should be somewhere between concerned and embarrassed by our performance levels over the last year

results have flattered us

Crashoutcassius

From the last 2 years you mean. The likelihood of a similar season to last is huge. We wont be better, if anything only worse. Most people will agree.
If we get enough points that would have won you most premiership that wouldn't be terrible. Maybe we can add a few points. If city get 100 pts we won't win the title even if you could personally hand Woodward a list of 11 players and he signed them

Infestissumam

Yeah but theres also a lot of shades between that team and our starting 11 not to mention Bayern were playing in the game too with a strong selection.
yes. But we still fielded numerous players that were brought in by Mourinho himself, plus DDG, Rashford, Mata and Herrera ... we will heavily utilize those players this season. I get that we were missing Lukaku, Pogba and Matic, but that doesn't really excuse being that poor to me.

In all honesty, it was not a good game by us at all. Now we can simply blame all of that on preseason and missing players, but I think the problems run a lot deeper.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I didn’t even bother watching. So glad I didn’t. Sounds like exactly what I expected and predicted. Utter shit. Not even on a stick.

Please don’t kid yourselves that we are suddenly going to start playing football once the season starts :lol:

JohnnyKills

Let me make this easy for you. Its a friendly and we have players missing.
You've not answered his questions. Just regurgitated facts that you've read from all the other apologists.

We had Sánchez, Rashford, Mata and Fred playing. Is that enough star quality for you?

Also, do you not agree that it would be useful to try some attacking during these matches? Or do you think it will just magically come right when we play Leicester?

Witchking

Yes, just to please us, the fans. Fans,one of the main and biggest reasons clubs exist. Shouldn't be too much to ask for some decent football or have a couple of shots on target, play some nice passes to make the fans happy and confident going into the new season.

Instead your act all top reddish coming straight out of the jose cult gang where any criticism of him and his style means that we are some lesser united fans.

You don't need to coach to be entertained stop, your posts are just ridiculous.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

I'm not sure what system would get better attacking output out of Shaw, Darmian and Mata. With them as 3 out of 4 of the wide players any team will struggle.