Bayern's General Assembly descending into chaos over the Qatar Airways sponsorship

Flanders Devil

Good on the Bayern fans for showing some backbone. More than can be said about some of PL’s decision makers too.

Dr. StrangeHate

The Caf wouldn't be able to agree on the colour of the chairs, let alone deals with Qatar.
The CAF are like the PL in terms of deals with human rights violators. The ammount of times I have read, who in their right mind would leave that much money is shocking.

Last edited:

Abizzz

Why isn't Kahn there? I thought he's the new head honcho?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think I saw him somewhere, but in general:
Almost all German clubs spun off their professional football operation into a separate entities (under the club's control, to comply with 50+1), so they can sell shares and protect the main club (or brand as some would say), which often also dabbles in other sports on a semi-professional/amateur level, from harm, if the football operation messes up. Kahn is an executive of the football division, this was the AGM of the club itself.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He is there, but he isn't head of the club. This was the Bayern Munich Club AGM and the president is Herbert Hainer. The clubs owns 75% of the company that is responsible for operating the football business, and Kahn is the CEO of that company. So Hainer as the club president is still above Kahn, in a way you can compare his role to that of the owner of a PL club, just that the members of the club elect him to work in their interest.

The big question is how representative those members that attented the AGM are for the whole club. Bayern has a quarter million members, there were barely 800 at the meeting.

Hoof the ball

That's the Bundesliga Defence Force anytime a fellow German rival's player is underrated.

Also, well done to the fans. Look at the faces fo those smug cnuts holding the meeting.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
They should represent their fans better, respect their will, and stay true to the club’s name; Buy from what they earn.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
The Deutsche Welle has a strange conception of chaos if they think loud vocal protest following the procedural denial of a vote concerning a point of order pre-submitted onto the agenda of an annual general assembly is chaos.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Haha would love to see the Glazers doing the same thing :)
The difference is, the Glazers own United and give feck all about the fans. In case of German clubs the members (usually hardcore fans) own the clubs and if they are unhappy actually have the means to get rid of the board. (That's what the 50+1 rule mentioned by @do.ob ensures, only exceptions are Wolfsburg, Leverkusen and Hoffenheim, while Leipzig formally follows the rule but use a different loophole in limiting club memberships).

padzilla

Hipster
I wonder how many fans will put their money where their mouth is and boycott the next World Cup in terms of watching it or going to games. A tiny fraction, I suspect sadly.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The Deutsche Welle has a strange conception of chaos if they think loud vocal protest following the procedural denial of a vote concerning a point of order pre-submitted onto the agenda of an annual general assembly is chaos.
People shouting over each other usually qualifies as chaos.

But I guess you had something like this in mind?

Though it could be said that after exhausting his allotted speaking time he threw a well measured punch and left the stage in an orderly fashion.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

Though it could be said that after exhausting his allotted speaking time he threw a well measured punch and left the stage in an orderly fashion.
:lol:

"That isn't how democracy works!!" *smacks a guy in the face*

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
On the hand, Newcastle fans are treating Saudis as the second coming of Jesus.

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
This event is famous for things like this happening. Sometimes it is the fans having a meltdown and sometimes Uli Hoenes, but nothing that deserved its own thread really.
(Especially since Hainer invited the spokesperson of the group to talks afterwards.)
There has been more ruckus about ticketpricing and other issues in the past. This is not unique this is what an assembly where fans actually have a say looks like but i understand to most users on here getting to have a say in your club is a pretty foreign thought.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The question is, can the fans actually do something about this? Is there going to be a vote on whether to remove the president, given their clear discontent for him.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

This is definitely the AGM @Hectic had in mind

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Feck me... Those are the events that create the cliche of Germans being orderly, aren't they? :lol:

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC

The news lady casually joking along :lol:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The question is, can the fans actually do something about this? Is there going to be a vote on whether to remove the president, given their clear discontent for him.
Hainer was elected for four years in 2019, so the next orderly vote would be during the AGM in two years. Removing him earlier would be possible, but would take some extraordinary processes

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
We're talking about it on an English forum, in Germany the topic made its way into the center of the mainstream and not really with a favourable spin for Bayern's executives. Arguably the fans already did something about it, even if they didn't score a decisive victory. The next step would be voting people out, when they come up for re-election or to come back with a refined motion that can make it through the courts next year.

UpWithRivers

The Germans stand up for Human rights and anti discrimination while we sell our souls to the the highest bidder. Who would have thunk it 75 years ago.