BBC: Chelsea agree deal for Sarri to join Juventus

PepG

Supports
Ajax
The meltdown at Juventuz is amazing,they were still convinced that Guardiola will be their new coach :lol:

Bojan11

I don't understand why Juventus gets rid of Allegri, what more do they expect out from him? He won them 5 Scudettos in a row, 4 Coppa Italia in a row, 2 Supercoppa Italiana, CL finalist runner-up, 2 quarter-finals. Tactically, he is one of the best and he's done a brilliant job since he took over from Conte. Seems like a very classy manager, never fall out with the players. If Juve think that Sarri can win them the CL just because he won the EL with Chelsea, they are in for a rude awakening. Sarri is a good manager but he is nowhere near the level of Allegri.
Allegri probably got bored too and it looks like he’s taking a year out. It was right time for him to leave with his stock high and he’d get a big job in the premier league next. Nobody wants to be the manager who has lost the league with Juve after their dominance. It could happen if Inter sort themselves out especially now they got Conte. He’s left at the right time for me.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Jose to the rescue for Chelsea, wins PL and then finishing 9th. After that Guus Hiddink to the rescue until a new name appears and becomes a sensation in world of football, which will be the next manager.

Repeat the process.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I don't understand why Juventus gets rid of Allegri, what more do they expect out from him? He won them 5 Scudettos in a row, 4 Coppa Italia in a row, 2 Supercoppa Italiana, CL finalist runner-up, 2 quarter-finals. Tactically, he is one of the best and he's done a brilliant job since he took over from Conte. Seems like a very classy manager, never fall out with the players. If Juve think that Sarri can win them the CL just because he won the EL with Chelsea, they are in for a rude awakening. Sarri is a good manager but he is nowhere near the level of Allegri.
They’ll play better football. Juve were depressing to watch this season, the amount of games they grinded out was ridiculous.

I agree it’s going to be tougher to win the CL with Sarri than with Allegri but it was time for Allegri to go and there really weren’t any better options than Sarri available.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
By 2040 they reckon you'll be no more than 6 foot away from an ex-Chelsea manager.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
Allegri probably got bored too and it looks like he’s taking a year out. It was right time for him to leave with his stock high and he’d get a big job in the premier league next. Nobody wants to be the manager who has lost the league with Juve after their dominance. It could happen if Inter sort themselves out especially now they got Conte. He’s left at the right time for me.
I can't see Allegri landing a big job in the EPL. City and Liverpool wouldn't touch him with a bargepole. Utd have tried with the dour, pragmatic approach and look where that got them. Arsenal and Spurs like to play nice footie. He would fit Chelsea in previous era's, but i think even they recognise the game has moved on and just grinding out results week in week out will have a snowball in hells chance of competing with City and Liverpool. He might be able to grind his way to 3rd, but who wants that? A Newcastle or Everton will be as big a job as he'll be offered in England.

La Vecchia Signora

Supports
Juventus
Welcome Sarriball. Hope you gain more than Conte and Allegri and win us the UCL. I know a lot of juve fans don’t like Sarri because of his history with Napoli but what the haters can do about it now. Nothing.

Good luck Sarri.

pensionator

Supports
Juventus
Actually he fell out with at last two players per season throughout his career and this year most of the team wanted him out.

Plus his Juve was the ugliest team to ever play football and even the board started to look utterly disappointed during games

Cloud7

Lampard as a manager, Hazard leaving and transfer ban, however it won't be crazy for me to see Chelsea finishing ahead of us again anyway.
Chelsea thrive on chaos. Watch them win the league next season.

Cloud7

Juventus have a good squad. I look forward to seeing if Sarri can get then playing some football. Under Allegri the times I watched them recently they were painful to watch.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Sarri there to pave the way for Pep in a few years?

Sarri Happy / Chelsea Happy. It all worked out.

Now we need new manager and I don't think it'll be Lampard, yet.

Bearded One

Got to admire the way Chelsea do things. Their fans didnt warm to Sarri, and despite him winning the Europa League and finishing 3rd, he is moved on.

If he was a United manager he would have got a 2 year extension after winning the EL.
Absolutely spot on. I have been preaching that we need to have bigger ambitions than we currently do.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Sarri there to pave the way for Pep in a few years?
Exactly what I thought. And Sarri is not Pellegrini, who has no clue about positional football as well. On the contrary Sarri is following the rules of positional play even more strictly than Pep so in 2 years time Juve will be very different team than now due to Sarri's transfers, coaching and methodology.. A team ready to be coached by Guardiola :smirk:

As for Chelsea - if not Lampard what about Ralf Rangnick ?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Lampard as a manager, Hazard leaving and transfer ban, however it won't be crazy for me to see Chelsea finishing ahead of us again anyway.
No chance if the transfer ban is upheld.
In that case a 6th place would be a success for us. Do not see Man Utd performing worse thant that.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

I would be okay with that. Rangnick is probably the only Bundesliga manager (from the current crop) that could survive at Chelsea. He would take the job if offered to him. The man loves England.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Exactly what I thought. And Sarri is not Pellegrini, who has no clue about positional football as well. On the contrary Sarri is following the rules of positional play even more strictly than Pep so in 2 years time Juve will be very different team than now due to Sarri's transfers, coaching and methodology.. A team ready to be coached by Guardiola :smirk:

Why not?

Lot of managers won't take the job, with Hazard leaving and the ban meaning no transfers this season. Going to be even more difficult than usual. Big risk Lampard or similar would flop spectacularly. I think it'll be Rafa on 12 month deal, available free at end of the month. CL football for him. One of best results grinder in the business for us. Lots of fans will hate it but Mr A won't give.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Why not?

Lot of managers won't take the job, with Hazard leaving and the ban meaning no transfers this season. Going to be even more difficult than usual. Big risk Lampard or similar would flop spectacularly. I think it'll be Rafa on 12 month deal, available free at end of the month. CL football for him. One of best results grinder in the business for us. Lots of fans will hate it but Mr A won't give.
There's zero chance Rafa gets the job. Lampard is a done deal.

einstein

I think if Chelsea finish ahead of utd this season it will be because of United's incompetence instead of Chelsea's brilliance.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Jose is going back! And bitches and moans he can't get players he wants. Then he buys Lukaku and Matic and Lingard, comes to Old Trafford and gets standing ovations for that only.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If he was shown just an ounce of respect from the club and fans, I reckon he’d have stayed.

3rd place finish, Europa league win, and a cup final. What more can you ask for with that side?

The football was bland, no doubt, but he deserved a second season.

I just cannot believe they’re going to get Frank Lampard. It’s like the rest of the league is just handing over dominance to Liverpool and City for the foreseeable.
Replace sarri with mourinho
Replace lampard with ole

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Replace lampard with ole
Replaced, somehow it wasn't same.

Jose was praised and got time when we won Europa league and finished 6th. Jose was sacked when he was competing with Bournemouth and others after half a season and this was after giving him 2.5 seasons

Kapardin

Replace lampard with ole
I'd say Sarri's reign is similar to LvG's 1st season. Resultswise hit the target (4th for LvG, 3rd + Trophy for Sarri), but clearly there were deeper problems, the dull football with hints of "philosophy". Chelsea are of course smarter than us.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
Got to admire the way Chelsea do things. Their fans didnt warm to Sarri, and despite him winning the Europa League and finishing 3rd, he is moved on.

If he was a United manager he would have got a 2 year extension after winning the EL.
Were you honestly thinking that way when you had SAF in charge? Everyone outside of Chelsea used to sneer and ridicule the club for their ruthless hiring and firing of managers. Even though it's somehow worked for Chelsea, it's not a formula for success other clubs should follow. What Liverpool did with Klopp is the far more sensible way. But would Utd and their fans wait for years for it to work? Going by what's happened since Fergie retired, it looks unlikely.

Kapardin

Were you honestly thinking that way when you had SAF in charge? Everyone outside of Chelsea used to sneer and ridicule the club for their ruthless hiring and firing of managers. Even though it's somehow worked for Chelsea, it's not a formula for success other clubs should follow. What Liverpool did with Klopp is the far more sensible way. But would Utd and their fans wait for years for it to work? Going by what's happened since Fergie retired, it looks unlikely.
You were lucky to hire managers like Mourinho, Ancelotti and Conte at the peak of their powers. Sarri was a bit lucky in the league as well considering how ourselves and Arsenal imploded. These managers left good squads for their successors.

The flip side is our track record, when we continually hire out of date or crap managers who progressively contribute to the worsening of the squad. So I wouldn't say Chelsea have a smart policy, its' more down to dumb luck and maybe just a little more thought in managerial recruitments compared to us. Agreed that Liverpool's model works best.

Skills

Snitch
You think what Liverpool did with Klopp was blind hope and faith in time? They had Jurgen fecking Klopp.

The guy reached 2 Cup finals in his first 3/4 of a season without signing a single player. By his second season he'd made them a top 4 team. 3rd season they were champions League finalists, and had ended Man City's undefeated streak and knocked them out of the CL.

The only questionable season they had was his second one, and even then he reached his minimum target of a CL spot. Sticking blindly with Moyes, LVG and Mourinho would've been utterly stupid when they kept on missing their minimum target or weren't showing any hope of progress.

Talented people don't need time to show their ability. They need time to realise and maximise their potential, but if you're good it's going to show. By the way, Sir Alex Ferguson got 2nd in his first full season at United. The same club he took over in 17th in November, the season before. Matt Busby finished 2nd in his first 3 full seasons at the club.

Last edited:

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
You think what Liverpool did with Klopp was blind hope and faith in time? They had Jurgen fecking Klopp.

The guy reached 2 Cup finals in his first 3/4 of a season without signing a single player. By his second season he'd made them a top 4 team. 3rd season they were champions League finalists, and had ended Man City's undefeated streak and knocked them out of the CL.

The only questionable season they had was his second one, and even then he reached his minimum target of a CL spot. Sticking blindly with Moyes, LVG and Mourinho would've been utterly stupid when they kept on missing their minimum target or weren't showing any hope of progress.

Talented people don't need time to show their ability. They need time to realise and maximise their potential, but if you're good it's going to show. By the way, Sir Alex Ferguson got 2nd in his first full season at United. The same club he took over in 17th in November, the season before. Matt Busby finished 2nd in his first 3 full seasons at the club.
LGV and Jose won you trophies and got CL, but that wasn't close to buying them time. And no, of course it wasn't blind hope and faith with Klopp. It was clearly going to be a longterm plan (long by todays terms) where they brought in a manager who played a certain way. Regardless of immediate success, they were going to give him time get the team playing his way and get the fitness levels up to playing that way. Find exactly the right players to sign and then add the final ingrediants of big money, game changing signings. At the end of the day, it's taken Klopp years longer than LVG and Jose to win a trophy, and unless you start putting a plan in place and give a manager time, then you'll remain a club scratching for a CL place. You'll become the new Arsenal, and i'm sure none of you want that!

Skills

Snitch
LGV and Jose won you trophies and got CL, but that wasn't close to buying them time. And no, of course it wasn't blind hope and faith with Klopp. It was clearly going to be a longterm plan (long by todays terms) where they brought in a manager who played a certain way. Regardless of immediate success, they were going to give him time get the team playing his way and get the fitness levels up to playing that way. Find exactly the right players to sign and then add the final ingrediants of big money, game changing signings. At the end of the day, it's taken Klopp years longer than LVG and Jose to win a trophy, and unless you start putting a plan in place and give a manager time, then you'll remain a club scratching for a CL place. You'll become the new Arsenal, and i'm sure none of you want that!
At the cost of dreadful football. And in the case of Mourinho a permanent toxicity around the club, that we're struggling to even remove now.

Klopps long term record at Dortmund is what made Liverpool believe in him. Mourinho and Louis Van Gaal have a record of shitting the bed no matter what, after a couple of years

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
At the cost of dreadful football. And in the case of Mourinho a permanent toxicity around the club, that we're struggling to even remove now.

Klopps long term record at Dortmund is what made Liverpool believe in him. Mourinho and Louis Van Gaal have a record of shitting the bed no matter what, after a couple of years
You knew what you were going to get with Jose - shite football and the tiresome circus that you get with him in charge. Everything ends up being about him, and unless he delivers the title or CL, he is simply never worth having as a manager! He was always a terrible fit for Utd, and some people at the club always knew that, so it smacked of desperation and cluttered thinking

Reactions: SteveJ

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Do you think he’s ready? I think he would be crazy to take the job, I can see what he would but it would be his heart making the choice rather than his head.
Although the Chelsea job comes up almost every year who is to say Lampard himself might not have a disastrous season at Derby and never get the opportunity again?

II'd take it if offered!

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Although the Chelsea job comes up almost every year who is to say Lampard himself might not have a disastrous season at Derby and never get the opportunity again?

II'd take it if offered!
True, he might also be thinking that taking the job at the hardest possible time, with transfer ban, without Hazard and when he's probably going to have to entirely change the style of play (unless Lampard Ball?), when he's never managed a single game in a top league, is not a good idea.

Plus if he's not good enough for Derby he'd be unlikely to make a 2nd season with Chelsea, so hardly missing the opportunity.

We'll see what happens this week I guess.

Edit: It worked for Madrid with Zidane, which at the time also looked pretty crazy given he never did anything with Castilla. So maybe Lampard will be lifting the CL at the end of the season. Football is a crazy sport sometimes..

Last edited: