BBC: Euro 2020 postponed till 2021

TRUERED89

Same in all other far east countries. The cases that they are getting in are from foreigners travelling there. This suggests two things. Either all these countries have done an amazing job containing the virus, or probably more likely that as the world warms up the virus goes into retreat. Unfortunately, even if true, without a vaccine, it will be making an unfortunate return later in the year.
There are a lot of hot countries with many cases though, so i'm not convinced the warm weather will change a lot in Europe.

AlwaysRed66

There are a lot of hot countries with many cases though, so i'm not convinced the warm weather will change a lot in Europe.
It has never really taken hold in the Southern Hemisphere, with case mostly imported, & quite surprising considering African & South/Central American countries are tinderboxes waiting to explode with a virus rampaging through it. Admittedly the US & Europe response has been criminal in it negligence in dealing with this virus from the start, where other countries took it far more seriously.

TRUERED89

People not so young and healthy will die.
To be fair I've got a 32 year old colleague severely ill. He's lost 6kg in 4 days! He hasn't officially been tested, but he has all the main symptoms (high temperature, dry cough, difficulty breathing). So that's really alarming. He's healthy and plays football regularly too, so it seems anyone is susceptible.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

To be fair I've got a 32 year old colleague severely ill. He's lost 6kg in 4 days! He hasn't officially been tested, but he has all the main symptoms (High temperature, dry cough, difficulty breathing). So that's really alarming. He's healthy and plays football regularly too, so it seems anyone is susceptible.
Feck, that’s worrying. I’m 35 and the least fit I’ve been in my life.

I think the government need to ramp up the message that younger people are not immune here.

You don’t want to scaremonger but what we need here is a serious element of fear.

The Millennial youth that have been wrapped in cotton wool can’t see the danger this poses. I employ a lot of younger people and it’s so frustrating.

Fear will ultimately help provide the incentive for the reckless to tow the line.

BigRedScouser

Supports
Liverpool
Well duh.

My point is that the football is very unlikely to start up before July. And that's a fairly optimistic scenario. So my question is: how do we finish this season and not ruin the next? The way I see it, it's not possible. You feck up one of the two(or both).

It just makes more sense to make this season void, unless things magically improve faster than projected.
How on earth does it make more sense to make a season 75% completed void than to make adjustments for the next one - which could very well be interrupted also?

OleBoiii

How on earth does it make more sense to make a season 75% completed void than to make adjustments for the next one - which could very well be interrupted also?
Next season will most likely kick off. It may have to start a few weeks later and we may have to scrap one or two domestic cups, but I think the teams can deal with that. What's harder/impossible to deal with, is an additional 1-2 months of football happening right before the new season kicks off. It will be too much.

Also, with a 4 month break, are we really looking at the same league as pre-corona? Players that were previously injured may suddenly be back. Players that wouldn't have been injured may suddenly have caught something. The transfer window will probably be in full motion. The teams that were in a good flow will have to rediscover that form, while struggling teams will be given a golden opportunity. The same is true for teams that did a poor job of resting players and balancing workload over the season.

For Liverpool these factors may not mean much as they are in such a big lead. But for most other teams, it plays a huge factor. The way I see it, we have these options(in all likelihood):

1. Play the rest of the league during the summer under weird circumstances(see above). Start the next season as scheduled with minimal break.
2. Play the rest of the league during the summer under weird circumstances(see above). Start the next season as scheduled with no break.
3. Play the rest of the league during the summer under weird circumstances(see above). Postpone next season a few weeks to allow a short break.
4. Play the rest of the league during the summer under weird circumstances(see above). Postpone next season a few weeks, but still no break(i.e corona lasts long)
5. Void this season.

For me, number 5 is the best and most sensible option. Number 1 is bad, but it's the best second choice.

Keep this in mind though: if football doesn't start up before mid-July, then there's no way we can finish the current season without cancelling the next. And that is easily the worst option, by far!

Strelok

To be fair I've got a 32 year old colleague severely ill. He's lost 6kg in 4 days! He hasn't officially been tested, but he has all the main symptoms (high temperature, dry cough, difficulty breathing). So that's really alarming. He's healthy and plays football regularly too, so it seems anyone is susceptible.
This is true.

In case you guys don't know yet, an ex chinese body building champion died because of this virus. He seemed to be very healthy in his 4x.

Many of patients around 2x-3x died as well. Like the chinese doctor who alarmed the disease died because of the virus too. He was 35 I think.

TRUERED89

This is true.

In case you guys don't know yet, an ex chinese body building champion died because of this virus. He seemed to be very healthy in his 4x.

Many of patients around 2x-3x died as well. Like the chinese doctor who alarmed the disease died because of the virus too. He was 35 I think.
Apparently the chinese doctor was a whistle blower. The gov silenced him, but who really knows :confused:

Strelok

Apparently the chinese doctor was a whistle blower. The gov silenced him, but who really knows :confused:
Yes this is true as well. His name is Li Weliang. He left behind a daughter and a pregnant wife. Some sources on the internet claim they're infected as well however there is no official record I think.

His parents have also been reported as having contracted the virus. The health status of his wife and children is not clear.
Source: https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/06/li-wenliang-coronavirus-whistleblower-doctor-profile

Only if they would have listened to his warnings and taken necessary actions instead of hiding the outbreak the world and us should not have to suffer like now. And a lot of people would have not died as well.

TRUERED89

Only if they would have listened to his warnings and taken necessary actions instead of hiding the outbreak the world and us should not have to suffer like now. And a lot of people would have not died as well.
Exactly this, so much sinister stuff goes on in the background, that us average Joe's will never know about.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
£500+ obviously means quite a bit to a lot of people’s cash flow.

Paying the entire £500+ up front two years in advance doesn’t spread the cost either. It loads the cost entirely up front.
Wasn’t thinking about the flights / accommodation but suppose they can be bought as a package.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Literally everywhere, I’ve just seen that China have closed their last Coronavirus hospital as their aren’t enough cases now to support it. Could be BS and as you say, conflicting stories.
China went on a full on lockdown, most other countries haven’t

It will 100% be getting worse

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Why? You’ve got the option of cancellation if you can’t make it, so if you still want to go next year then paying now means feck all. Infact, spreads the cost!
£500+ obviously means quite a bit to a lot of people’s cash flow.

Paying the entire £500+ up front two years in advance doesn’t spread the cost either. It loads the cost entirely up front.
Get a grip. If you want a refund, than ask for one and give up your ticket. What your asking for is an admin nightmare. You’ve already paid for your tickets, can’t see what your problem is.
The issue is that I have forked over $5,000 in tickets and so not having that capital for 2 years now is a joke. Think about the interest UEFA is going to make holding all our capital for a year!

UEFA is proffiting off this. Those who paid for tickets, should get their payments back AND still hold their place for those tickets. We should repay in the following year.

Snafu17

Feck, that’s worrying. I’m 35 and the least fit I’ve been in my life.

I think the government need to ramp up the message that younger people are not immune here.

You don’t want to scaremonger but what we need here is a serious element of fear.

The Millennial youth that have been wrapped in cotton wool can’t see the danger this poses. I employ a lot of younger people and it’s so frustrating.

Fear will ultimately help provide the incentive for the reckless to tow the line.
The Millennial youth is anywhere between 24 and 40 years old. You're a Millennial.

The issue is that I have forked over $5,000 in tickets and so not having that capital for 2 years now is a joke. Think about the interest UEFA is going to make holding all our capital for a year!

UEFA is proffiting off this. Those who paid for tickets, should get their payments back AND still hold their place for those tickets. We should repay in the following year.
You wouldn’t have that capital if the competition was going ahead would you? You’ve already spent it.

interest at 0.1%. they aren’t profiting off of it. They are however taking the sensible step to move you tickets to the next year.

if you need the money, ask for a refund.

RUCK4444

The Millennial youth is anywhere between 24 and 40 years old. You're a Millennial.
Yeah I found out that is the case this afternoon!! Feckin devastated to be labelled and grouped with their generation.

I think it’s a disgrace how younger generations are still going out to pubs and clubs, basically giving it a big feck-you! to the elderly and vulnerable people.

They should be ashamed and people will remember how they’ve acted during this.

I can’t stand this self entitled youth, it’s genuinely one of my biggest fears for my three young boys growing up.
I cannot allow them to be so selfish.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I assumed it was going to be Euro 2020S or Euro 2020 Pro

Snafu17

Yeah I found out that is the case this afternoon!! Feckin devastated to be labelled and grouped with their generation.

I think it’s a disgrace how younger generations are still going out to pubs and clubs, basically giving it a big feck-you! to the elderly and vulnerable people.

They should be ashamed and people will remember how they’ve acted during this.

I can’t stand this self entitled youth, it’s genuinely one of my biggest fears for my three young boys growing up.
I [cannot allow them to be so selfish.
Generations are pointless identifiers, idiots are idiots regardless of their age. There's also basically no Millennial youth anymore, anyone younger than 24 is a Zoomer.

Here's a video of British tourist ignoring the quarantine in Spain while they were on vacation and generally acting like complete twats. There's not a lot of Millennials or Zoomers in sight.