BBC greatest FA Cup moments poll.

Josh 76

I tuned into this last night out of boredom, and surprise surprise Steven Gerrard's goal against West Ham was voted the greatest FA Cup moment ever by Shearer and Lineker.

Fair play to Ian Wright who wasn't having none of it.

Thoughts?

kidbob

I tuned into this last night out of boredom, and surprise surprise Steven Gerrard's goal against West Ham was voted the greatest FA Cup moment ever by Shearer and Lineker.

Thoughts?
It's clearly Giggs goal. Not for just the goal but the context of what it meant for the treble eventually. Also it came at the end of an epic game between the two undisputed best sides in England, The game itself elevates the goal for me. Before it happened we had two great goals in their own right, a sending off and a saved penalty.

That beats a goal against West fecking Ham who honestly Liverpool should be embarrassed that they needed that goal in the first place to win the game.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
To be fair, that Gerrard goal/moment was something else. Can't really despute it being someone's number one pick.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Dippers winning an online poll? Colour me shocked. Shearer and Lineker are way past their expiry date so their opinion on anything means jack shit.

Josh 76

Norman Whiteside in 85 should have got a mention.
Stunning goal.
10 men against arguably the best team in Europe.

Falcow

Norman Whiteside in 85 should have got a mention.
Stunning goal.
10 men against arguably the best team in Europe.
Great call. My first memory as a united fan. I dont remember Moran being sent off but I have memories of the goal.

As for Gerrards winner, this is probably the first moment it has come to my mind since so if your not a liverpool fan then this is about as memorable as last nights take away.

Southampton's win against us in 76, their first major trophy in front of nearly 100k supporters is surely a better moment in football(not for us obviously), they were in second division at the time.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought Cantona vs. Liverpool should have been included somewhere... Great moment.

Web of Bissaka

If it's "Greatest FA Cup Final" moment, then that Gerrard long-buster shot is fair... the quality of their opponent though..

No way it can top off Giggs wizardry, or other worthier inclusions but the latter are arguably less memorable.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I can't stand Shearer, his rationale for putting the Sunderland game higher up, was because he liked one of the blokes in the side. :houllier:

"It's my favourite because I like the guy." Twat.

The more I see of him, the more I despise his character.

Robertd0803

Should have been Wigans win over City in 2013.
That Gerrard goal is just over rated nonsense.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
To me its either Giggs wonder goal vs Arsenal, or Cantona winning volley vs Liverpool.

sugar_kane

Thoughts?
I've also been surprised by how pro-United Ian Wright has been on these MOTD podcast shows, almost comes across like a secret red on a couple of them which I'd never have thought in a million years.

Was also surprised to see both him and Shearer vote Keane best European important in PL history, especially as the latter of the two is undoubtedly a bonafide ABU cnut.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I thought Cantona vs. Liverpool should have been included somewhere... Great moment.
Great moment overshadowed by a dour game. Unlike the Giggs goal, which is arguably the greatest ever cup goal in one of the most dramatic ties ever.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Gerrards goal wouldn't even get in my top 5-10 etc but then we're probably always going to be biased.

Both Giggs and Cantona goals were better for me.

That Cantona goal was a mad angle to control like that. Almost magical. Why none of their players even moved to react i do not know. Just spellbound.

I used to think of Giggs goal as being mid career for him as he'd done loads before that. But the way he lasted you have to think of 99as being towards the early part still.

Ronnie Radfords goal for Hereford.

Ricky Villa beating half a team to score.

Essandoh for Wycombe v Leicester away in the 90th min

Bottom tier Wrexham beating mighty Arsenal

All rank higher for me.

Ludens the Red

Yeah agree with the general consensus. A last minute equaliser against West Ham to force extra time just doesn’t sit right amongst the great moments. Simple fact is had that player been any other Liverpool player it wouldn’t be talked about anywhere near as much.

Michael Owen scored two goals against Arsenal in the last ten mins in the 2001 Cup Final as part of a disney treble and that barely gets mentioned.

Anyway here’s moments I’d say are better and more significant than Gerrard equalising against West Ham.

For finals/semi finals
- Giggs vs Arsenal
- Wimbledon beating Liverpool
- Owen double vs Arsenal
- Sunderland beating Leeds
- Parlour vs Chelsea
- Cantona vs Liverpool
- Ben Watson vs City
- Di Matteo vs Middlesbrough
- Toure vs United

And then the earlier round moments like Bournemouth beating United, Wrexham beating Arsenal, Hereford beating Newcastle, Barnsley winning at Anfield with an injury time winner at the Kop End. Beckford for Leeds against United.

But yeah Gerrard equalising against West Ham:lol:

Ludens the Red

Gerrards goal wouldn't even get in my top 5-10 etc but then we're probably always going to be biased.

Both Giggs and Cantona goals were better for me.

That Cantona goal was a mad angle to control like that. Almost magical. Why none of their players even moved to react i do not know. Just spellbound.

I used to think of Giggs goal as being mid career for him as he'd done loads before that. But the way he lasted you have to think of 99as being towards the early part still.

Ronnie Radfords goal for Hereford.

Ricky Villa beating half a team to score.

Essandoh for Wycombe v Leicester away in the 90th min

Bottom tier Wrexham beating mighty Arsenal

All rank higher for me.
Ooh, good shout that one. The story behind it as well.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I'd like to think that, if they were being fair, we'd be topping the vast majority of these polls, but they don't want to piss of all the non-UTD-supporting viewership, who've just gotten over us winning everything for 2 decades and would rather not be reminded of it.

The Giggs moment is simply not up for debate.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Tuned in sure that Giggs topped it, just wondered what other moments came out. Shocked Cantona was t in the top ten. Should have been top 3-5. I’m equally shocked Gerrard equalising against West Ham is even in it.
Seriously the greatest FA Cup moment ever....is a last minute equaliser?
Not surprised the competition has lost its allure.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Owen’s winner against Arsenal was more iconic than Gerrard’s imo, although I was there for Gerrard’s.

I think Wigan beating City like they did was special. Proper underdog story.

In terms of games I always remember Tranmere coming from 3-0 down at home to Southampton.Martin Tyler’s commentary was fantastic. I think Paul Rideout scored a hat trick. 2001 possibly?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
On another note, West Ham were pretty good that season. They weren’t pushovers and had some decent players in their squad.

Josh 76

I can't stand Shearer, his rationale for putting the Sunderland game higher up, was because he liked one of the blokes in the side. :houllier:

"It's my favourite because I like the guy." Twat.

The more I see of him, the more I despise his character.
Lineker was even more of a prick by saying he's voting Gerrard above the Crazy Gang's win over Liverpool because he hated playing against them.
WTF.

Josh 76

Owen’s winner against Arsenal was more iconic than Gerrard’s imo, although I was there for Gerrard’s.

In terms of games I always remember Tranmere coming from 3-0 down at home to Southampton.Martin Tyler’s commentary was fantastic. I think Paul Rideout scored a hat trick. 2001 possibly?
Keegan's City beating spurs 4-3 at white Hart lane when they were 3-0 down and had 10 men. That was unbelievable.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Didn't see the programme, was it all goals?

Just thinking of stuff that's gone down in folklore:

The white horse clearing the pitch in the 'white horse final'.

The 'Matthews final' as a whole, but you could turn that into just winning goal. Winning 4-3 in injury time after being 3-1 eclipses what Gerrard did, it's a legendary final named after a legendary player and featured a hat-trick from Stan Mortensen. That was the only Cup final hat-trick at Wembley.

Bert Trautmann playing on with a broken neck and how he came to be there with his personal history/ life story.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It's Giggsy isn't it? Hands down.

It's clearly Giggs goal. Not for just the goal but the context of what it meant for the treble eventually. Also it came at the end of an epic game between the two undisputed best sides in England, The game itself elevates the goal for me. Before it happened we had two great goals in their own right, a sending off and a saved penalty.

That beats a goal against West fecking Ham who honestly Liverpool should be embarrassed that they needed that goal in the first place to win the game.
:lol:

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Lineker was even more of a prick by saying he's voting Gerrard above the Crazy Gang's win over Liverpool because he hated playing against them.
WTF.
Yes, I thought that was odd, but at least Lineker laughs about and has some character about him. I generally like Lineker and also Wright, but I really don't like anything about Shearer.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
To me its either Giggs wonder goal vs Arsenal, or Cantona winning volley vs Liverpool.
Great moment overshadowed by a dour game. Unlike the Giggs goal, which is arguably the greatest ever cup goal in one of the most dramatic ties ever.
Agreed about the Cantona goal, it was an awful game and he just plucked the ball out of the air and scored the most incredible goal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Am glad a Liverpool fan said this, as obviously us United fans are always going to be biased.
But Owen's was a winner, against a top quality team of the time having been behind earlier.

Not an equaliser against an average team.

For me i'd go as far as saying it's the "Gerrard thing" all over. The flash nature of him has permanently earnt him a position a bit above his true level. The exact opposite of Scholes.
But then obviously, most Liverpool fans wouldn't agree.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
This...

Or this...

Actually, I was there for this (in the Middlesboro end)...
The goal is an excellent one but it's more that he scored it after 46 seconds in a final and we'd not won a trophy of note for 25+ years.

Red00012

If Quinton Fortune was playing for Liverpool and scored that goal v West Ham, would he have won it ?
not a chance

AungAung

Supports
Liverpool
Even as a liverpool fan, I would rate Owen's winner/double against Arsenal higher than Gerrad's goal against West Ham. I am probably in minority though and people don't seem to remember that match in 2001 much nowadays.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Chesterfield 97 run should've been in top 10. They really should've made the final which would've been incredible as think they were in division 3 at the time.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
To be fair, that Gerrard goal/moment was something else. Can't really despute it being someone's number one pick.
I watched the full match on red button yesterday, Liverpool fluked that one even more than Istanbul. Harewood missed an open goal from five yards right at the end of extra time and West Ham played very well over the 90/120 minutes.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
When I made a profile for the Café I was asked what my favourite Man United moment is, and I will stand by that in this discussion, Giggs' winner in '99. It is still stated on my profile. That was breathtaking.

I love Gerrards goal in '06 as much as anyone, but all rivalry aside, Giggs' is more iconic.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Wimbledon in 88 was by far and away the best moment.

Surprised Keith Houchen’s header for Coventry v Spurs wasn’t top ten also alongside Whitesides’s goal in 85.